PDA

View Full Version : What type of promblems should I expect?

curious6334
October 30th, 2007, 21:05
I am looking to buy a used RS6 with mileage in the hi 30's. I have read about the DRC problem but not any other one that is common. I plan on buying an extended warranty through the dealership. Can anyone offer more feedback about reliability and the types of issues you have faced? Anyone with high miles vehicle have thoughts? Thanks for your feedback in advance.

aarong
October 30th, 2007, 21:14
if I had to do it again, I'd only buy it CPO from an Audi dealer and thus extend the warranty through AoA another two years. take it to a reputable, independent mechanic with extensive RS6 experience before you buy. I took mine to an unnamed Audi dealer here in socal, they said everything was fine. 8K miles later I take it in for scheduled maintenance to a respected Audi dealer (off a referral from here) and they had to do a complete DRC replacement -- thankfully still under warranty.

good luck!

DuckWingDuck
October 31st, 2007, 01:41
The DRC thing is well documented. Another common one seems to be the peltier sensor in the auto "AC" if you have the summer option. The rear sunshade motor appears to have issues though less common. I'm sure more knowledgeable posters would have more to add!

nene
October 31st, 2007, 02:28
Don't forget to check the brakes. They usually last until 25K miles!

BLITZEN
October 31st, 2007, 06:21
Unless you get one from someone who's obsessive compulsive, there will shurely be little stuff to take care of. (Quirks that the previous owner didn't mind.)

My car was very clean when I got it (some would say perfect). It had original warranty, CPO, and it came with brand new tires. However, that was the perfect disguise for having a horrible alignment. I just found, when giving my tires their first rotation, that three of them are already ruined from too much negative camber. And no warranty covers tires or alignments (they're wear & tear). So there's $1000 out the window.

To sum, there's no 100% guarantee no matter what car you buy. I recommend you have a thousand or two dollars set aside to handle whatever you might not expect for the first 6 months even if you have it inspected and a great warranty. After that you'll be in the clear and familiar with what you've bought.

Good Luck! You'll love the car!!

P.S. You might be interested in a thread I started a couple months ago called "maintenance budgeting".

Aronis
October 31st, 2007, 13:16
the DRC is not covered by extended warrantee -fine print specifically excludes Shocks. If it fails the "back to factory" repair may cost thousands more than it should as the tech will be doing on the job training on your car and your dime. Aftermarket route is far more reliable from a price stand point. Bilsteins about $2000 for the shocks/springs. And the Ohlins are about $4000 for parts.

Mike