PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Convertor Error - Can i punch them out?

rs-mad
October 29th, 2007, 10:49
Hi,
I am fairly new here and have recently been registering Catalytic Convertor errors. Today the MIL light came on and the error I have is:

16804 - Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
P0420 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON

I would like to know the following:

1) Which catalyst is this the Pre or Main Cat?
2) Does this mean the catalyst is blocked or just not doing its emission job?
3) Will punching the catalyst's out have any side effects on performance or running of the car?

Any info will be appreciated.

RS6 POWER
October 29th, 2007, 12:05
Buy the Miltek DP with the race cat's...expensive, but worth it!!!

Regards,
Manuel

chrisTG
October 29th, 2007, 12:06
hi my name is chris ive just took my engine and gearbox out to fix a turbo problem not a bad job 2.5 days if you have warrenty then use it if not sorry i think the front two kats are engine out to fix even to smash the kats engine out where are u from im from westmidlands uk

rs-mad
October 29th, 2007, 12:07
I am having a custom system made to suit upgraded turbos in the next couple of months until then I want to make sure my car doesnt have a blocked cat.

PS: I have seen the Miltek and if i was to buy an off the shelf product I would choose Dhalback over Miltek anyday

Anyone that can offer assistance would be much appreciated

rs-mad
October 29th, 2007, 12:09
No warranty. How do you tell which of the two cat's in Bank 1 are causing the issue?

chrisTG
October 29th, 2007, 12:11
i can help if your in the UK if your going to buy a full system or just cats we could fit them for a very good price just PM me and i would be glad to help
cheers

rs-mad
October 29th, 2007, 12:13
People I am simply after some technical info!!!

I need to know if that error corresponds with either of the two cat's in Bank 1 firstly.

I have had the other questions answered already.

chrisTG
October 29th, 2007, 12:20
i'm unsure how you would check if 1 or the other cat is blocked the only way i would suggest would be to take them off and i'm pretty sure there on the same pipe and do not seperate