PDA

View Full Version : R8 5th gear car of the year

Charles DLF
October 23rd, 2007, 12:31
Just watched last night's fith gear, and they elected the R8 car of the year!!!! :D :R8:

Go R8!!!!

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 18:59
Just watched last night's fith gear, and they elected the R8 car of the year!!!! :D :R8:

Go R8!!!!

still not a supercar

Charles DLF
October 24th, 2007, 19:01
My guess is you don't really like the R8 do you?? I'd call it a supercar any day of the week...

+44 Dave
October 24th, 2007, 19:19
still not a supercar

Well if your not going to call it a supercar what the hell is it ? Probably a very very fast, gorgeous, stunningly well engineered, expensive normal car? Wait a minute arent all those catagories things supercars do?
Wait get a brain then post an arguement longer than four words, using correct punctuation you retard.

Ruergard
October 24th, 2007, 19:21
Is there ANY sportscar that has come new on the market that has ever won this many tests and been elected as many times as the R8? I'm speechless! :bow:

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 19:40
Well if your not going to call it a supercar what the hell is it ? Probably a very very fast, gorgeous, stunningly well engineered, expensive normal car? Wait a minute arent all those catagories things supercars do?
Wait get a brain then post an arguement longer than four words, using correct punctuation you retard.

sports car you tossing ass wipe

ps shouldn't there be a comma after the wait in your last sentence and an and instead of the comma after engineered in your first sentence. Sort your own punctuation out before having a go at others DUMB ASS. Hypocrite moron

Charles DLF
October 24th, 2007, 19:41
keep cool guys, stim give us your arguments, it could be interseting... maybe...

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 19:43
Is there ANY sportscar that has come new on the market that has ever won this many tests and been elected as many times as the R8? I'm speechless! :bow:

money talks. It looks like a cut and shut Audi TT

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 19:49
keep cool guys, stim give us your arguments, it could be interseting... maybe...

Well for a start only things such as an Enzo, F40, F50, Zonda, Carrera GT, Koeniss what ever its called , Mclaren F1, SLR etc are supercars, the rest are not.

Never seen another 'supercar' have to be advertised on TV, which isn't not for selling the car, its using it to promote its brand and sell lesser cars. De-values the R8 beyond all respect.

So if the R8 is a supercar, what will that make the R10, a super dooper car. How can an R8 be called a supercar when Audi already had have version with a V10 ready?? It aint like they are stripping out the car and adding anything but an engine.

If the R8 is a supercar it makes a mockery of the term and then what exactly isn't a supercar. Soon enough, by your terms of a supercar, nearly everything on the road will be one.

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 19:51

Its only winning 'awards' because for the money its an excellent sports car. If you think its in the same league as say a 360 CS then you obviously haven't been near either car.

audifan
October 24th, 2007, 20:18
lol, trolls

HKS786
October 24th, 2007, 20:24
I cant believe this is still going on. A lot of people accept it as a supercar, if you dont, then why cant you leave it at that? Also, what the heck is a supercar? that term can be is so vague now. Cars are getting more and more powerful and better than ever.

And why is the R10 a problem for the R8? Are you telling me that the supercar range isnt more of a spectrum? We both know some cars are way at the top and some are nearer the bottom. I think you need to read reviews about the R8 and see how impressed people are. Just look at the title of this thread! Clearly there's nothing wrong with Audi creating 2 supercars, one might be further up the spectrum than the other. It doesnt make the R8 any less of a supercar...

Also, lets look at your sig.

1. Clarkston is STILL impressed with the car. You're only showing half the story. Why dont you mentions the REMAINDER of the episode?

2. Same story. Why wont you tell people how it beat the 911 around their track and Hammond accepted it was better? and how much better was the porsche in the straight line? not much. I'll give you a screenshot if you want. And I think we're all old enough to know that straightline performance isnt everything...

ps. these thing happen, why dont you mention the new spypics showing what Audi have done to sort that?

Ruergard
October 24th, 2007, 20:30
Its only winning 'awards' because for the money its an excellent sports car. If you think its in the same league as say a 360 CS then you obviously haven't been near either car.

Have I ever said that it's in the same league as a 360 CS? C'mon dude. Keep it real. :) :cheers:

And for the R8 being a supercar, I'd say it's one of the best everyday-supercars ever made.

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 20:40
Have I ever said that it's in the same league as a 360 CS? C'mon dude. Keep it real. :) :cheers:

And for the R8 being a supercar, I'd say it's one of the best everyday-supercars ever made.

Your term everyday proves beyond any argument or opinion that it isn't a supercar. No supercar can EVER have the term everyday anywhere near it.

So why hasn't anyone answered my question. If the R8 is a supercar, what is the R10 going to be.

Surely even you lot can't say that you can call a car supercar when its not even the top model in its own line.

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 20:42
Have I ever said that it's in the same league as a 360 CS? C'mon dude. Keep it real. :) :cheers:.

But if you call an R8 a supercar, then you obviously call a 360 CS a supercar, yet you say the R8 isn't in the same league as an 360 CS - really confused now.

An Audi TT isn't in the same league as an R8, does that make the TT a supercar too ?

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 20:45
I cant believe this is still going on. A lot of people accept it as a supercar, if you dont, then why cant you leave it at that? Also, what the heck is a supercar? that term can be is so vague now. Cars are getting more and more powerful and better than ever.

And why is the R10 a problem for the R8? Are you telling me that the supercar range isnt more of a spectrum? We both know some cars are way at the top and some are nearer the bottom. I think you need to read reviews about the R8 and see how impressed people are. Just look at the title of this thread! Clearly there's nothing wrong with Audi creating 2 supercars, one might be further up the spectrum than the other. It doesnt make the R8 any less of a supercar...

Also, lets look at your sig.

1. Clarkston is STILL impressed with the car. You're only showing half the story. Why dont you mentions the REMAINDER of the episode?

2. Same story. Why wont you tell people how it beat the 911 around their track and Hammond accepted it was better? and how much better was the porsche in the straight line? not much. I'll give you a screenshot if you want. And I think we're all old enough to know that straightline performance isnt everything...

ps. these thing happen, why dont you mention the new spypics showing what Audi have done to sort that?

Man, seriously, your saying that a supercar DOES NOT have to be the best even in its own line ????????????? Thats a complete JOKE. R10 is simply an engine upgrade from the R8, how on earth can the R8 be a supercar if you can buy the exact same car expect this one is faster and more powerful.

Absolute jokers

My sig are a couple of quotes, when have you ever seen something quoted, say from a book, article, interview that contains the entire book, magazine or interview?

KarlMarx
October 24th, 2007, 20:45
Hi Stim. So is one of the things you're saying: If a car can be used everyday that, by definition, means it can't be a supercar?

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 20:46
lol, trolls

lol TWAT

HKS786
October 24th, 2007, 20:48
Your term everyday proves beyond any argument or opinion that it isn't a supercar. No supercar can EVER have the term everyday anywhere near it.

So why hasn't anyone answered my question. If the R8 is a supercar, what is the R10 going to be.

Surely even you lot can't say that you can call a car supercar when its not even the top model in its own line.

Yes you can. That's why Clarkston said it REWRITES the term "supercar".

I answered it. and why not? are you saying just because "y" is more powerful than "x", that "x" is less of a supercar? clearly not. We both know that some supercars are WAY at the top and deliver HUGE amounts of power, but there are some supercars that dont have excesses of power but choose to deliver the power they DO have in the best possible way and are very well balanced machines. Ie the R8 :R8:

KarlMarx
October 24th, 2007, 20:50
Can everyone wind their necks in a bit please? We could have an interesting topic here, which won't happen in it descends into a slanging match.

HKS786
October 24th, 2007, 20:51
Man, seriously, your saying that a supercar DOES NOT have to be the best even in its own line ????????????? Thats a complete JOKE. R10 is simply an engine upgrade from the R8, how on earth can the R8 be a supercar if you can buy the exact same car expect this one is faster and more powerful.

Absolute jokers

My sig are a couple of quotes, when have you ever seen something quoted, say from a book, article, interview that contains the entire book, magazine or interview?

Firstly, you're the "joker" if you think the R10 is just an engine upgrade. Go look at spypics and you'll see it's body has been reworked etc.

I've never seen a whole book etc pasted in a sig, but people usually tend to put quotes that CONCLUDE or SUMMARISE the review. You clearly didnt, you just showed what you liked ;)

KarlMarx
October 24th, 2007, 20:52
Also, are you (Stim) saying that unless a car is the top model of its own line, it can't be a supercar? (Just trying to get to the detail)

HKS786
October 24th, 2007, 20:53
Can everyone wind their necks in a bit please? We could have an interesting topic here, which won't happen in it descends into a slanging match.

I know. I'm gonna stop responding now. I'm not sure if you know, but stim left here because he cant accept other peoples opinions. His words, not mines. I'm not gonna argue though. I'm just gonna leave it at that. I can accept that he wont agree with most of us on here, maybe he should try the same.

El_cucaracha
October 24th, 2007, 20:57
360CS barely has a radio , how can u compare it to R8, it is different class, audi R8 is everyday supercar, and 360CS is trackday car.....

KarlMarx
October 24th, 2007, 21:00
Ok. I think we'd (well, nearly all of us) all agree that differing opinions are fine, when they are backed up with reason as opposed to mud-slinging posts made with fingers in your ears singing la la la la la :w:

HKS786
October 24th, 2007, 21:00
360CS barely has a radio , how can u compare it to R8, it is different class, audi R8 is everyday supercar, and 360CS is trackday car.....

thanks for that

RXBG
October 24th, 2007, 21:02
you guys are hilarious. stim and some of you others sound like little kids in a bus. after i got done laughing, however, i realized it's not cool though.

stim- this is your first warning about insulting people personally and directly. two others and you are out.

btw- this policy applies to all of you guys.

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 21:06
Yes you can. That's why Clarkston said it REWRITES the term "supercar".

I answered it. and why not? are you saying just because "y" is more powerful than "x", that "x" is less of a supercar? clearly not. We both know that some supercars are WAY at the top and deliver HUGE amounts of power, but there are some supercars that dont have excesses of power but choose to deliver the power they DO have in the best possible way and are very well balanced machines. Ie the R8 :R8:

Oh, right, im sorry Clarkson is the god of motoring and everything he says goes, even though he is simply an entertainer. Im my world, the term supercar cannot be re-written. Im sure you'll re-write it till an A4 or TT is deemed, Super

by the way, just for the record, you have totally and utterly missed my point and so won't bother with talking to you, i suggest you try and read my posts again and this time understand them.

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 21:08
you guys are hilarious. stim and some of you others sound like little kids in a bus. after i got done laughing, however, i realized it's not cool though.

stim- this is your first warning about insulting people personally and directly. two others and you are out.

btw- this policy applies to all of you guys.

Am i the only person on this thread who has got a warning then ????

KarlMarx
October 24th, 2007, 21:09
Stim - maybe if your posts were clearer then the points you're making wouldn't be missed? Or are you just not replying to my questions because I'm not biting back...if so, that must be the reason you're on here just now - to stir.

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 21:10

and again we use the term EVERYDAY. A supercar is not everyday, my Ferrari 360 Modena is NOT a supercar, its compormised as it was created with everyday use and comfort in mind. NEVER EVER A SUPERCAR

HKS786
October 24th, 2007, 21:10
I'm sorry about responding to what he said, but he's been here before and done the exact same. He insulted me before when I though in MY opinion that the R8 has more presence than the Vanquish. Most people here can exchage thoughts and agree or disagree, but we all respected him before and he decided to leave because he "couldnt accept our opinions". Those are his words, not mines.

I cant understand why he came back, he said he wouldnt and he did.

HKS786
October 24th, 2007, 21:11
Am i the only person on this thread who has got a warning then ????

I'll treat it as a warning to me too. I shouldnt have called you a "joker" back when you called me it. I should have just ignored your posts.

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 21:18
Stim - maybe if you're posts were clearer then the points you're making wouldn't be missed?

Im being as clear as daylight. I get called a retard, yet im the only one with a warning. Some rules for one and other rules for others - stinks.

A supercar is something that is created to be the ultimate. Its un-compromised, outrageous, seriously exclusive and rare, totally different from the norm and looks like nothing else.

I do not consider a Lambo Gallardo, Ferrari 355,360 or 430 and cars such as this to be deemed supercars. They do not fit into the criterea.

F40, F50, ENZO, Zonda etc, these a true supercars, these are the top of the line cars with huge performance, totally outrageous, very rare and beyond the reach of the norm. The first car deemed a supercar was the Lambo Muira. Why? Because it was so far out of reach of most. The numbers the R8 will be sold in show its not a supercar. Same with modern day Ferrari's, sold in massive numbers and totally compromised.

Start with an F40, stick and F50 next to it, then an R8 and then a Zonda - then tell me the R8 is anywhere near being a supercar

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 21:21
. I'm gonna stop responding now..

good, then people who know about cars can talk

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 21:21
I'll treat it as a warning to me too. I shouldnt have called you a "joker" back when you called me it. I should have just ignored your posts.

joker is fine, don't care about that. I want to know what punishment or warning was handed out to the degenerate who called me a retard. Im guessing nothing

Leadfoot
October 24th, 2007, 21:25

I think this is an excuse that Ferrari etc use when their so-called supercars can't be used daily for one reason or another, namely reliability.;)

The R10, R8RS or what ever it's called will be an even quicker version of this supercar. Surely any dick would understand that.:doh:

By your reckoning then the 599 isn't even a supercar because there is the ENZO at the top of the Ferrari tree.:lovl: But oh yes, it isn't a supercar anyway, it's a GT car because of it's front engine placement.;)

There is not one thing you have added this time round that has moved your argument forward.

KarlMarx
October 24th, 2007, 21:29
Light the blue-touch paper and....:vgrumpy:

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 21:32
I think this is an excuse that Ferrari etc use when their so-called supercars can't be used daily for one reason or another, namely reliability.;)

The R10, R8RS or what ever it's called will be an even quicker version of this supercar. Surely any dick would understand that.:doh:

By your reckoning then the 599 isn't even a supercar because there is the ENZO at the top of the Ferrari tree.:lovl: But oh yes, it isn't a supercar anyway, it's a GT car because of it's front engine placement.;)

There is not one thing you have added this time round that has moved your argument forward.

1) They aint super cars anyway so your point isn't worth crap
2) The R8 isn't a supercar and the R10 wont be either so you point is worth Crap
3) Yet again, another member who cannot read. Im going pay for this forum to get proper english lessons. Is the Enzo in the same LINE as a 599, no. The 599 is not a version of an Enzo is it. Your point is worth crap and the 599 IS a GT Car, anyone who is worth their salt knows this.

El_cucaracha
October 24th, 2007, 21:33
ok, that Merc Mclaren SLR is not supercar, and lambo LP640. ok if all of the cars you claim to be supercars, are supercars that what is lamborghini reventon? there only 20 of them, and is is more extreme looking than any other car in the world, and it is fast.

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 21:37

DITTO :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 21:41
ok, that Merc Mclaren SLR is not supercar, and lambo LP640. ok if all of the cars you claim to be supercars, are supercars that what is lamborghini reventon? there only 20 of them, and is is more extreme looking than any other car in the world, and it is fast.

Reventon (which is hideous) will unfortuntly be a supercar. It will have the totally outrageous looks it needs, it will be more exclusive than any other modern car, it is out of reach of nearly everyone on this world. Although it pains me to say it, it hits pretty much all the supercar box's, yet it won't be that much faster than the LP640 and it will contain parts from an A3 probably

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 21:43
So you guys obviously think a Porsche 997 S is a supercar too then ?????

Leadfoot
October 24th, 2007, 21:47
This time round I will not try and reason with someone who will not listen to the majority.

In my opinion the R8 is a much more superior car then anything carrying the prancing horse on it's nose and the reason for this is it's abilities to all that they do will still being reliable and usable on a daily basis. :looking:

You are still a person with personal issues.

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 21:50
This time round I will not try and reason with someone who will not listen to the majority.

In my opinion the R8 is a much more superior car then anything carrying the prancing horse on it's nose and the reason for this is it's abilities to all that they do will still being reliable and usable on a daily basis. :looking:

You are still a person with personal issues.

Ha Ha, all the MAIN reason its NOT a supercar are your reasons for saying it is, holy god im going to crap myself laughing. The self proclaimed 'king of rs6.com', give yourself a pat on the back my son, for you are truly a funny funny man.

Only personal issue i have is trying to figure out if i should take malaria tablets for two nights in the Peruvian Amazon, oh i tell a lie, im also trying to figure out if it will rain for the NFL on Sunday too !

Thanks for the thought though

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 21:51
This time round I will not try and reason with someone who will not listen to the majority..

Think you need some history lessons my man

Leadfoot
October 24th, 2007, 21:56
Ha Ha, all the MAIN reason its NOT a supercar are your reasons for saying it is, holy god im going to crap myself laughing. The self proclaimed 'king of rs6.com', give yourself a pat on the back my son, for you are truly a funny funny man.

Only personal issue i have is trying to figure out if i should take malaria tablets for two nights in the Peruvian Amazon, oh i tell a lie, im also trying to figure out if it will rain for the NFL on Sunday too !

Thanks for the thought though

Sorry, when did I say that, if anyone holds that title surely it would be Erik, the founder of RS6.COM and the one who allows us all air time. Something you should remember before putting fingers to keyboard.;)

KarlMarx
October 24th, 2007, 21:57
Well wadda you know fellas? Black's white and white's black. Now let's put all this polite chit-chat to one side and everyone just say what they really think. Don't hold back now.

Oh, hang on...

At the end of the day, does it really matter?

About the antimalarials...don't take any chances - try malranone which you don't need to take for ages before and after such a short visit.

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 22:06
About the antimalarials...don't take any chances - try malranone which you don't need to take for ages before and after such a short visit.

Yep, i have 10 Malarone tablets already. Take two day before i go into the amazon, 2 per day while im there and 2 per day for two days after i leave.

But they are not as effect as Malaria, but Malaria would make us feel like total shite for pretty much my entire trip.

Guess i have to hope the Mosquito's aren't carrying too much crap

KarlMarx
October 24th, 2007, 22:08
Nets and repellant also worth taking, even though they're low-tech.

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 22:12
Nets and repellant also worth taking, even though they're low-tech.

we are sleeping on the jungle floor with mats and sleeping bags in mosi nets already set up for us. GF decided it would be a good way to cure my total hatred and fear of snakes, then i reminded her of the spiders and she aint too confident anymore :harass:

audifan
October 24th, 2007, 22:16
The argument of whether or not the R8 is a supercar is really not that important. The fact is, the R8 is getting rave reviews and awards world-wide and its competitors are feeling the heat if not trying to catch up. I think the days of supercar classification soley based on raw speed and exotic looks are coming to a close. The R8, I think is a new breed, and exactly what audi intended it to be:
Fast, comfortable, and composed. And honestly I think thats what the market wants right now (ie. look at the new m3). So what if it doesn't have the price of a ferrari and the reliablity of an Aston...

Leadfoot
October 24th, 2007, 22:19
The Amazon is a big place, don't go and get yourself lost now. ;)

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 22:28
The argument of whether or not the R8 is a supercar is really not that important. The fact is, the R8 is getting rave reviews and awards world-wide and its competitors are feeling the heat if not trying to catch up. I think the days of supercar classification soley based on raw speed and exotic looks are coming to a close. The R8, I think is a new breed, and exactly what audi intended it to be:
Fast, comfortable, and composed. And honestly I think thats what the market wants right now (ie. look at the new m3). So what if it doesn't have the price of a ferrari and the reliablity of an Aston...

The term supercar will never ever change for me, as all its criterea are set and doesn't change and finally you have got the point of the R8. Fast, comfortable, composed and really useable everyday, much like a most Porsche's and for me the exact reason it isn't a supercar. If you deem the R8 a supercar, give it 5 years and every bloody car with two seats and decent performance will be deemed a supercar and as a true supercar person, i can't see how anyone could accept that.

Audi have built a brilliant car for a specific customer base - its a brilliant sports car and, when the V10 comes out and the R8 residuals take a serious knock, i might get one as they will provide excellent value for money.

Unless some of these companies i invest in become billion £ companies, then i doubt i will ever be in the position to have more than 1 supercar in my garage. That supercar will be a black Ferrari F50 !

PS Aston Martins are NOT reliable. The electrics are crap, trust me, had one

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 22:29
The Amazon is a big place, don't go and get yourself lost now. ;)

Got a guide :hahahehe:

nene
October 24th, 2007, 22:30
Personally I think the term 'supercar' is a matter of opinion. To which we can all share without having to resort to name calling, by any party.

I don't believe that Wikipedia (http://www.wikipedia.com) is the last word on what 'supercar' really means, yet they also have their opinion, mostly based on facts compiled to today.

Here is what Wikipedia says how a SUPERCAR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar) is defined.

Cheers lads!!!

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 22:36
Personally I think the term 'supercar' is a matter of opinion. To which we can all share without having to resort to name calling, by any party.

I don't believe that Wikipedia (http://www.wikipedia.com) is the last word on what 'supercar' really means, yet they also have their opinion, mostly based on facts compiled to today.

Here is what Wikipedia says how a SUPERCAR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar) is defined.

Cheers lads!!!

You never responded to my pm or my question on here about someone else getting a warning.

Could you please now do this, just to make sure the same rules apply to everyone, not just me:( :w:

KarlMarx
October 24th, 2007, 22:43
Wikipedia: "The proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts."

Well, they certainly got that bit right!

:rotflmao:

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 22:47
Wikipedia: "The proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts."

Well, they certainly got that bit right!

:rotflmao:

2 Groups really

those who think anything with 2 seats, decent performance and a steering wheel is a supercar, and those that know better :thumb:

Leadfoot
October 24th, 2007, 23:03
I personally don't think anything with two seat and a wheel is a supercar but if the majority of knowledgeable motoring journalists believe the R8 is then who are we to argue. Sorry I forgot, it isn't we who are arguing with that, only you.

At which point does a car with 2 seats and decent performance finally regarded as a supercar in you eyes.

stIm
October 24th, 2007, 23:16
I personally don't think anything with two seat and a wheel is a supercar but if the majority of knowledgeable motoring journalists believe the R8 is then who are we to argue. Sorry I forgot, it isn't we who are arguing with that, only you.

At which point does a car with 2 seats and decent performance finally regarded as a supercar in you eyes.

i don't think the R8 isn't a supercar, i KNOW it isn't and there and many many other people who agree with me.

A supercar to me, is the best of the best, top of the line, no substitute, no compromise. End of.

Tell me, is the Porsche 997 Carrera S a supercar, is the Lotus Exige a Supercar, a Mercedes CLK 63 AMG Black Series? , Merc SL55 AMG ???

Leadfoot
October 24th, 2007, 23:29
You state the best of the best but that means with ever new version the old one is no longer the best and this now means it's not a supercar. So the F430 isn't a supercar now that the quicker and better handling trackday version has arrived. The same applies to the Gallardo and anything else which gets improved.

The only people I reckon share your opinion on the R8 is the rest of your Ferrari fan club. And this is understandable when you think that now Audi are doing what they do, only doing it even better and for less money.:lovl:

HKS786
October 25th, 2007, 01:12
I agree Leadie. To follow up on stim's sig, let's remember the end of the topgear episode:

1 Koenigsegg CCX (with TG spoiler) 1.17.6
2 Pagani Zonda F 1.18.4
3 Maserati MC12 1.18.9
4 Ferrari Enzo 1.19.0
5 Ariel Atom 1.19.5
6 Porsche Carrera GT 1.19.8
7 Koenigsegg CCX 1.20.4
8 Ascari KZ1 1.20.7
9 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 1.20.9
10 Ford GT 1.21.9
11 Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3
12 Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3
13 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 1.22.4
14 Lamborghini Murcielago 1.23.7
15 Pagani Zonda 1.23.8
16 Noble M15 1.23.9
17 Koenigsegg 1.23.9

Audi R8 1.24.4

18 Prodrive P2 1.24.3
19 TVR Sagaris 1.24.6
20 TVR Tuscan 1.24.8
21 Mitsubishi Evo FQ 400 1.24.8
22 Noble 1.25.0
23 Lotus Exige S 1.25.1
24 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder 1.25.7
25 Lamborghini Gallardo 1.25.8
26 Morgan Aero 8 GTN 1.25.9
27 BMW Z4 M 1.26.0
28 BMW M5 1.26.2
29 Porsche Cayman 1.26.2

Urm look at how it stacks up against those "supercars" ;)

HKS786
October 25th, 2007, 01:22
Hammond: I'll settle this once and for all. I'll put this one to the audience. I'm gonna hold a general election - right here, right now.

Clarkson: Are you sure thats a good idea? This is a very popular car (R8) there's a 30k premium on these at the moment. You go ahead if you want.

Hammond: Actually no, I've suddenly decided that a general election right now is a stupid idea...because I might lose.

audifan
October 25th, 2007, 04:00
PS Aston Martins are NOT reliable. The electrics are crap, trust me, had one

I was being Sarcastic.

Audihead
October 25th, 2007, 04:56
Now that the name calling is over I would like to bring another name for the R8 to the forefront for discussion. I also don't consider the Audi to be a "Supercar". I would say it is a "Halo Car". I think Wikipedia sums this up best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_car

The R8 is the best Audi has to offer all wraped up in one car to showcase the brand and call attention to it to futher the sales of its' lesser models. There is a quite extensive list following the definition and the Audi R8 is amongst them. The R8 doesn't IMHO have the performance and the chache to pull off the "Supercar" moniker properly. Please remember the subject of automobiles is one of the most subjective in the world. Let's everyone try to be respectful of each other even if we think differently. Good natured banter is excepted and encouraged, but please refrain from namecalling, and try to stay on topic "everyone".

Leadfoot
October 25th, 2007, 08:51
Audihead,

I personally didn't name call and still regard the R8 as a supercar, my gripe is that stIm only feels free to grace us with his presence when he wants to start arguing and talking everyone down, ie. trying to be smart.

If he doesn't agree with the motoring press then complain to the magazines and television programmes that give out these awards. Like I say the man has issues with Audi and the R8 being awarded the recognition it reserves.

HKS786 is correct as am I that the R8 is doing everything the Ferraris and Lamborghinis of this world are doing and in most case it is doing them better and for least money, the TOPGEAR times prove that the R8 is ahead of them all with regards to handling as it's time was achieved on a damp and slippery track, not the bone dry one which the 360CS and GT3RS did theirs. To disregard the R8 as a supercar is to class the Veyron as not being a supercar, both are without compromises in terms of comfort, reliability and usability, the only difference is the speed between them and this is why I asked the question a what point does a car become classed as a supercar?

RussianM3_dude
October 25th, 2007, 10:59
I think for a car to be considered a supercar, the entire car company must build nothing but supercars/sports cars. Ferrari/Lambo Porsche gets in because they build sports cars, so their Carrera GT is a supercar/hypercar.

KarlMarx
October 25th, 2007, 11:15
Ahem - (coughs) - Porsche also make that magnificent (er, not) beast the Cayenne. Fits fine as a Chelsea Tractor but does somewhat drag down the sportscar/supercar/halocar image of the rest of the range

"Halocar" seems a good fit for the R8 to me.

stIm
October 25th, 2007, 11:55
You state the best of the best but that means with ever new version the old one is no longer the best and this now means it's not a supercar. So the F430 isn't a supercar now that the quicker and better handling trackday version has arrived. The same applies to the Gallardo and anything else which gets improved.

The only people I reckon share your opinion on the R8 is the rest of your Ferrari fan club. And this is understandable when you think that now Audi are doing what they do, only doing it even better and for less money.:lovl:

Erm, again, going to need you to attend reading lesson's, im not exactly sure how many time i have said this but one more time, for the cheap seats, are you ready;

NO 355,360,430 OR GALLARDO VARIANT IS A SUPERCAR

The cars are built in too many numbers, they are not the best of the best, they are totally compromised. Never ever supercars.

PS - the 430 is worth every single penny over an R8, even forgetting the performance, the noise and excitement of the 430, the sense of occasion and the special feeling you have driving it and the fact every journey becomes an event - makes it something the R8 could never ever touch, regardless of anything.

PPS- Actually no, its people i know who own Ferrari's, Lambo's, Porsche's, Aston's, BMW's and Audi's who are share the FACT that is, that the R8 is not a supercar.

You ignored my question about cars such as the SL55 AMG, Porsche 997 2S and Lotus Exige. I want to know if you deem these as supercars and if so or not, why.

stIm
October 25th, 2007, 11:57
I agree Leadie. To follow up on stim's sig, let's remember the end of the topgear episode:

1 Koenigsegg CCX (with TG spoiler) 1.17.6
2 Pagani Zonda F 1.18.4
3 Maserati MC12 1.18.9
4 Ferrari Enzo 1.19.0
5 Ariel Atom 1.19.5
6 Porsche Carrera GT 1.19.8
7 Koenigsegg CCX 1.20.4
8 Ascari KZ1 1.20.7
9 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 1.20.9
10 Ford GT 1.21.9
11 Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3
12 Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3
13 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 1.22.4
14 Lamborghini Murcielago 1.23.7
15 Pagani Zonda 1.23.8
16 Noble M15 1.23.9
17 Koenigsegg 1.23.9

Audi R8 1.24.4

18 Prodrive P2 1.24.3
19 TVR Sagaris 1.24.6
20 TVR Tuscan 1.24.8
21 Mitsubishi Evo FQ 400 1.24.8
22 Noble 1.25.0
23 Lotus Exige S 1.25.1
24 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder 1.25.7
25 Lamborghini Gallardo 1.25.8
26 Morgan Aero 8 GTN 1.25.9
27 BMW Z4 M 1.26.0
28 BMW M5 1.26.2
29 Porsche Cayman 1.26.2

Urm look at how it stacks up against those "supercars" ;)

:harass: :harass: All the proper supercars are above it :lovl:

Thanks for helping me prove my point !!!:applause:

stIm
October 25th, 2007, 12:03
Audihead,

I personally didn't name call and still regard the R8 as a supercar, my gripe is that stIm only feels free to grace us with his presence when he wants to start arguing and talking everyone down, ie. trying to be smart.

If he doesn't agree with the motoring press then complain to the magazines and television programmes that give out these awards. Like I say the man has issues with Audi and the R8 being awarded the recognition it reserves.

HKS786 is correct as am I that the R8 is doing everything the Ferraris and Lamborghinis of this world are doing and in most case it is doing them better and for least money, the TOPGEAR times prove that the R8 is ahead of them all with regards to handling as it's time was achieved on a damp and slippery track, not the bone dry one which the 360CS and GT3RS did theirs. To disregard the R8 as a supercar is to class the Veyron as not being a supercar, both are without compromises in terms of comfort, reliability and usability, the only difference is the speed between them and this is why I asked the question a what point does a car become classed as a supercar?

You the one trying to be smart whilst not understanding basic English words :doh:

The R8 is NOT doing things better than Ferrari or Lamborghini, you'd have to be a absolute plank to say an R8 is better car than any 430 or Gallardo, its simply a load of shite.
If you want to being value for money into it, to some the R8 would have this, to me it doesn't. I don't like Porsche's at all, in any way, but i'd much rather spend £100k on a 977 Turbo, GT3, GT3 RS than a £90k R8 - The R8 wouldn't even feature on my radar until it drops to around the £60k mark.

A supercar is the pinnacle a car company can make and certain othert criterea i have said time and time again. Seriously get some reading lessons or get yourself to specsavers. I heard they have some deals on

stIm
October 25th, 2007, 12:05
Hammond: I'll settle this once and for all. I'll put this one to the audience. I'm gonna hold a general election - right here, right now.

Clarkson: Are you sure thats a good idea? This is a very popular car (R8) there's a 30k premium on these at the moment. You go ahead if you want.

Hammond: Actually no, I've suddenly decided that a general election right now is a stupid idea...because I might lose.

What is the relevance of this post. Seriously please explain to me why this has any bearing on this thread at all.

I mean Idi Amin had popularity :lovl:

stIm
October 25th, 2007, 12:08
Just so that im clear (i hate terms like Hypercar and Halo car), but

are those who are saying the R8 is a 'Halo' car, admitting its not a supercar ?

KarlMarx
October 25th, 2007, 12:39
I never actually said it was a supercar, for the record.

Whether or not it does or doesn't meet an individual's own criteria for "supercar" is up to that person. Stim thinks it isn't - for reasons he's stated and others think it is. Why get so steam-in-the-ears, gritted-teeth, fingers-stabbing-into-your-keyboard wound up about it all?

Really - there are things that warrant time, oxygen and stress. Semantic arguments about a topic which by definition is a fluid description isn't one of them.

blue_r
October 25th, 2007, 12:49
lol TWAT

dude... you might have the correct use for the term "SUPERCAR"...

but hey, it's just a term. don't start an argumet. stop acting as if you are the god of words.

if you feel like the R8 is not a supercar, then so be it. it's your opinion, we respect it. but please respect the opinion of others as well.

the TT and R8 are of different league, but both are considered sportscars. even the SLR, Murcielago, Enzo, Carrera GT and other "monster" cars are considered sportscars, it's just that their capacity and capability of the engine is considered so they are called SUPERCARS. right??? a car is considered to be called a SUPERCAR if it met the DESIRE of a driver... if the R8 met the desire of journalists and other ordinary drivers, then it has the right to be called a SUPERCAR...

and another thing... if i have a lot of money and buy a SUPERCAR, is it possible for me to use it everyday?? OF COURSE!! as long as i have the credits for the fuel and the guts to bring it to the crowd.... a SUPERCAR is still a car, and no car is produced that is used with limitations...

P.S. if you really are a car enthusiast, then you will probably understand what this forum is for...

stIm
October 25th, 2007, 12:54
Whether or not it does or doesn't meet an individual's own criteria for "supercar" is up to that person. Stim thinks it isn't - for reasons he's stated and others think it is. Why get so steam-in-the-ears, gritted-teeth, fingers-stabbing-into-your-keyboard wound up about it all?.

Thing that winds me up is getting called a 'retard' for a post that simply stated 'doesn't make it a supercar', then because i dare say Audi's super dooper new sports car isn't a supercar, the Audi dictators pipe up, pretty much ignore all my points and some of my questions and bark on about absolutely nothing except that im on some sort of wind up.

King Audi Leadfoot bangs on about ' me and my ferrari club' when i have stated i dont think 355, 360, 430 Ferrari's are super cars, so im not sure how that works at all.

You know what, if i believed like most on this thread, i could walk down to the Kings Rd, or Hyde Park Corner and see probably 50 'supercars' in a couple of hours. Absolute load of garbage.

Each to their own, but the term supercar for me is stuck, it cannot be re-written, it defines the ultimate and only that - nothing else is good enough for this term. You want to water it down and claim anything with a bit of power, two seats and a steering wheel is a supercar, then go for you life's.

I'll stay true to my passion i had when i was a young boy and not dilute anything.

stIm
October 25th, 2007, 13:00
if i have a lot of money and buy a SUPERCAR, is it possible for me to use it everyday?? OF COURSE!! as long as i have the credits for the fuel and the guts to bring it to the crowd.... a SUPERCAR is still a car, and no car is produced that is used with limitations...

P.S. if you really are a car enthusiast, then you will probably understand what this forum is for...

Your absolutely right, but i fear you have missed the point. For me a supercar shouldn't have been created with everyday in mind. Of course you can use anything everyday if you want to, thats not what im saying. Im saying that the design procces shouldn't be compromised.

Which is why for me true Supercars will always be things like 288 GTO, F40, F50 over Carrera GT, SLR or Zonda, but i have to conceed the later of the two groups are super cars as the meet pretty much all the desired criterea.

PS - As far as i can see, most on here simply want to fly the Audi flag regardless. I own an Audi S5. I love it, i think its far better than my last M3, but no car company on this planet will ever make me say something is what its not, simply due to the badge. I wonder how many people on here have spent seat time in these cars, or owned one to be able to comment and pass such absolute judgements?

KarlMarx
October 25th, 2007, 13:08
[quote=stIm;111318]Thing that winds me up is getting called a 'retard' for a post that simply stated 'doesn't make it a supercar', quote]

I can't find the post but it would p*ss me off too if that happened to me.

blue_r
October 25th, 2007, 13:16
i exactly know your point... it's just that some supercars are produced in a given limited quantity (called premium), and not all supercars are premium...

this forum is used for discussion of the products of audi, to appreciate or discriminate them. look what happened to the A1... at first, most of here discriminated the design, concept and size. but later on, as new images show up, they start to appreciate it...

i admit i love audi. but that doesn't mean i am going to buy audi only. i currently own a Toyota Fortuner (IMV4), which i was dying to have one before, and i love it. and i'm not gonna change it for an audi, simply because this simple but elegant SUV is cheap to maintain compared to Audi, BMW, and Mercedes, even to Honda. and it is simply beautiful.

the point here is that Audi fans are fans, they are not obssessed with it. they just want to share different opinions.

Leadfoot
October 25th, 2007, 13:17
King Audi Leadfoot bangs on about ' me and my ferrari club' when i have stated i dont think 355, 360, 430 Ferrari's are super cars, so im not sure how that works at all.

You clearly have a serious problem with me personally and I just hope that Erik and the rest who run this site are seeing you for what you are which is a very angry person who can't conduct himself with any manners.:nono:

If you disagree with the rest of us then surely one single post would be suffice to make your point, but you don't feel happy to leave it at that and go on a war path with anyone who disagrees with your findings and now seem to have singled me out. You reckon you were called a retard but saying I don't understand the English word is surely as much as calling me the same and still I reframe from dropping to your standards or should I say lack of.

P.S.

Please explain when on this thread have I treated you in a similar manner as I am at a lose.:confused:

stIm
October 25th, 2007, 13:27
You clearly have a serious problem with me personally and I just hope that Erik and the rest who run this site are seeing you for what you are which is a very angry person who can't conduct himself with any manners.:nono:

If you disagree with the rest of us then surely one single post would be suffice to make your point, but you don't feel happy to leave it at that and go on a war path with anyone who disagrees with your findings and now seem to have singled me out. You reckon you were called a retard but saying I don't understand the English word is surely as much as calling me the same and still I reframe from dropping to your standards or should I say lack of.

P.S.

Please explain when on this thread have I treated you in a similar manner as I am at a lose.:confused:

My god your full of crap - i hope everyone on here can see you for what you are. A one eyed hypocrite with absolutely no knowledge or experience of the cars your debating on. Oh and by the way, do you understand the term debate. Its where you have a point and you debate that point with others. Not make a point and leave it. So again, don't have a clue what your on about. I'd guess its either agree with Leadfoot and bow down to the 4 rings or not bother debating something.

If you opened your other eye, you will see that a couple of us on here are having quite a nice chat about this, why dont you leave the grown ups to chat, there's a good lad. Go and take your ironic moral high ground and good manners elsewhere.

oh and have a super dooper day and hope you spot 5000 supercars !!!

stIm
October 25th, 2007, 13:31
[quote=stIm;111318]Thing that winds me up is getting called a 'retard' for a post that simply stated 'doesn't make it a supercar', quote]

I can't find the post but it would p*ss me off too if that happened to me.

Very first page on this thread, post 4 !! I still have had no mod reply to my pm asking if this person was given a warning or was it just me.

Im guessing by their silence this person didnt get a warning and there is one rule for me and another set of rules for others !!

Won't hold my breath about getting an answer:( :argue:

Erik
October 25th, 2007, 13:36
Time to cool down? (!)

I'd say that the Audi R8 is a sportscar, not a supercar.

stIm
October 25th, 2007, 13:46
My god your full of crap - i hope everyone on here can see you for what you are. A one eyed hypocrite with absolutely no knowledge or experience of the cars your debating on. Oh and by the way, do you understand the term debate. Its where you have a point and you debate that point with others. Not make a point and leave it. So again, don't have a clue what your on about. I'd guess its either agree with Leadfoot and bow down to the 4 rings or not bother debating something.

If you opened your other eye, you will see that a couple of us on here are having quite a nice chat about this, why dont you leave the grown ups to chat, there's a good lad. Go and take your ironic moral high ground and good manners elsewhere.

oh and have a super dooper day and hope you spot 5000 supercars !!!

I RECIEVED A WARNING FOR THIS THREAD. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? WHAT SORT OF A BUNCH OF PC CRY BABIES ARE ON THIS SITE. MY GOD THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

By the way, there is no insult in the post i got a warning for, im sure leadfoot the cry baby has complained about it (no an insult either as im about to explain), but the comments are not insults, they are facts. There is a difference.

Seriously, there are some big baby's on this thread who go crying to teacher when something doesn't go their way.

I look forward to cry baby Leadfoot commenting on Erik's comments that the R8 is not a supercar.

PS 3 private messages sent to Mods, and NOT ONE REPLY - says everything

Erik
October 25th, 2007, 13:59
I RECIEVED A WARNING FOR THIS THREAD. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? WHAT SORT OF A BUNCH OF PC CRY BABIES ARE ON THIS SITE. MY GOD THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

By the way, there is no insult in the post i got a warning for, im sure leadfoot the cry baby has complained about it (no an insult either as im about to explain), but the comments are not insults, they are facts. There is a difference.

Seriously, there are some big baby's on this thread who go crying to teacher when something doesn't go their way.

I look forward to cry baby Leadfoot commenting on Erik's comments that the R8 is not a supercar.

PS 3 private messages sent to Mods, and NOT ONE REPLY - says everything

I wonder who the cry baby is?

If you don't get the message the first time, you will get a second warning.

You pm:d me 20 minutes ago. I am still writing my "fair and balanced reply" that you asked for, however I have a lot of better things to do during my working day.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But everyone is not entitled to call others names, insult etc. Respect is the key.

You're sitting in my sofa, so please behave.

I notice that you are still insulting people, after 2 warnings.
Ask for it, and you will be banned.

Please read before posting next time:
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2506

stIm
October 25th, 2007, 14:10
I wonder who the cry baby is?

If you don't get the message the first time, you will get a second warning.

You pm:d me 20 minutes ago. I am still writing my "fair and balanced reply" that you asked for, however I have a lot of better things to do during my working day.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But everyone is not entitled to call others names, insult etc. Respect is the key.

You're sitting in my sofa, so please behave.

I notice that you are still insulting people, after 2 warnings.
Ask for it, and you will be banned.

Please read before posting next time:
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2506

When can i expect to get my fair and balanced reply ?

Your post above and pm shows it wont be coming anytime soon.

Rules for me and different rules for others. Good Job

ps - nice threat - big man

:noshake: :noshake: :noshake: :noshake:

Erik
October 25th, 2007, 14:12
When can i expect to get my fair and balanced reply ?

Your post above and pm shows it wont be coming anytime soon.

Rules for me and different rules for others. Good Job

ps - nice threat - big man

You had it 9 minutes before you posted your last post. :doh:

stIm
October 25th, 2007, 14:21
You had it 9 minutes before you posted your last post. :doh:

well if thats your idea of a fair and balanced reply, then i won't hold my breath about receiving any fair and balanced treatment of any sort on this site.:snow:

Im still amzed that saying 'your full of crap' is considered something worth a warning and a threat of a ban - its an absolute joke

Erik
October 25th, 2007, 14:31
stIm, you should have listened to the first and second warning, plus my pm, and read the rules. Or just use your common sense. Easy as that.

If you want to dictate your own rules, then start your own forum. I'm sure it will be a huge success.

Respect is the key and you managed to get 3-4 moderators working, a lot of members pm:ing me. Now that happens maybe once per year, and this time you were the one.

Bye bye, you have earned your third and final warning. In this short time span it's a bit of a record.

Please have your fun elsewhere. And please do not re-register under another name. We will find you and ban you again.

Damienr8
October 25th, 2007, 16:24
Time to cool down? (!)

I'd say that the Audi R8 is a sportscar, not a supercar.

Hi Everyone, how are you all doing?

I agree. While I believe that the AudiR8 is a 'sports car', It does have 'supercar performance'. I look at the R8 as I looked at the NSX when it SHOCKED the sports car industry over a decade ago (you know the reasons)

In describing a supercar, performance, price, engineering, exclusitivity, history & heritage etc. all come into consideration. Therefore, judging among all cars, i would for instance call the Gallardo and F430 supercars.

I describe the ZondaF, LP640, Veyron, etc 'HyperCars' because of their iconic stature performance, engineering, design and exclusivness. But then again, the term 'supercars' would work with them as well.

Its all debate, this is just how i see it.

nene
October 25th, 2007, 16:55
I think it is extremely short minded to expect others to take one's opinion, expect it as gospel, and get bent out of shape if that does not take place.
I simply expect others to accept it as my opinion and nothing else, regardless of how many facts back it up. If I am convinced of my own opinion, that is great, and if others agree, it is gravy! I surely don't expect all to agree.

Do I believe the R8 to be a 'sports car'? Sure do.
Do I believe the R8 to be a 'super car'? If I was buying one, I'd sure hope so! I am sure all Ferrari owners buy their cars because they believe it so, but what do I know? I don't own one of those either.

So half of us believe it to be 'super car' status, the other half does not. In the grand scheme of things, my heartbeat did not increase one tick.
Instead, I'll just say that I think the R8 is a 'super sports car'. Or is it a 'sports super car'?

Erik
October 25th, 2007, 16:55
Debate is fine, that's why this is an open discussion forum.

But name calling etc. is not allowed.

"While I believe that the AudiR8 is a 'sports car', It does have 'supercar performance'." - Excellent sum up.

RussianM3_dude
October 25th, 2007, 17:15
Man, I would say no more... but somebody has a REAL anger problem. I've been on the net for... years and I have never met anybody who gets so worked up over the stuff on the net and so angry. Repeat after me
Inhale slowly... then slowly..........
Woooooooooooo-zzzzzzazaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

KarlMarx
October 25th, 2007, 17:27
Definition of "stim" from the urban dictionary (direct quote)
"verb - to get fcuked up on ritalin, usually through insufflation

derivatives: stimmmed out, stims, stimnut"

Not my words! Just a dictionary definition...

Leadfoot
October 25th, 2007, 17:39
I stayed off hoping things would cool down but the abuse Erik received was similar to my own. I hasn't a problem with people calling it a sportscar/supercar or anything else, the term is so removed for the original that many a car meets the requirements.

The original term for a Sportscar was a two seater convertible and a coupe was a Grand Tourer, now a days these two mean something totally different.

I think calling the R8 a Sportscar with Supercar abilities is quite possibly the best description one could give this car so well done for that.:applause:

RussianM3_dude
October 25th, 2007, 17:49
I guess it depends also on the country. In Monaco even a Ferrari 430 is the local equvalent of the civic. In say... Albania or Denmark even a Z4 might be considered a supercar.

RussianM3_dude
October 25th, 2007, 17:55
Also, one of the posters, mentioned that the terms "supercar" and "daily driver" cannot co-exist. So what about an LM002??? Supercar engine, outrageous looks and price tag... You can use it for shopping runs, herding sheep in the depths of the Snowdon, runs to the wine bar, dune hopping.

The was a dude in London who drove a McLaren F1 EVERYDAY to work. So for him it's a daily driver and perfectly useable.

Damienr8
October 25th, 2007, 19:37
So to get back on topic, which car would you choose to be the runner up for Car of the Year.

nene
October 25th, 2007, 20:03
CLK Black Series for Runner-UP!

Leadfoot
October 25th, 2007, 21:16
Audi S5, just to keep it in the family.:hihi:

Damienr8
October 25th, 2007, 21:39
Audi S5, just to keep it in the family.:hihi:

I was thinking the S5, but my choice is the Alfa 8C which just takes sexiness to a level that nothing on earth can achieve!!! lol. :jlol: Just look at it OMG Hot!!!

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/7447/hotgr6.jpg

KarlMarx
October 25th, 2007, 21:48
Amen to that.

Leadfoot
October 25th, 2007, 23:45
I must admit the Alfa I had forgot about but then again it hasn't been released as yet so technically can't be included.

RussianM3_dude
October 26th, 2007, 08:51
I'd say the M3/500

The S5 while a fine car, just doesn't push the envelope in any way.

Leadfoot
October 26th, 2007, 09:52
Well regardless of which car came second, the rightful winner was the R8 which if I may used M3_dude words, it pushes the envelope and blurs the barrier of what is a Sportscar and what is a Supercar.

It's in it's own sector as a Super-sportscar.:p

r8ian
October 26th, 2007, 15:03
Hi Guys, must admit to have been a reader of the site for quite a few months now but not posted as i was after information really regarding the R8.

I have sold my 996 Turbo and still have my M5, but that will go in 5 weeks when i take delivery of my R8, will def post pictures when it arrives, i went for Black/carbon manual B&0 Magnetic ride engine bay lights rear spoiler

Anyway i have read this thread with great interest and some good points are made and some thinks i would like to add. The R8 is not a supercar, i totally agree with stim on this. I also feel like him the term supercar is being totally de-valued by people and car makers wanting to deem their car a 'supercar' pretty much for marketing reasons. A fast, 2 seater car, that handles well both on the road and a track does not make a car a supercar.

There are lots of different things that make a car a supercar, the main ingredient is that X-Factor that very few cars on the road can give you. The R8 falls way short of that. Where i do dis-agreeing with stim is on the 'comfort' side of a supercar. True, pureists will always claim that most modern day supercars do not live up to the term supercar in its most basic form, simpy due to this comfort factor. F40, F50's and as raw as you can get, but i feel that the comfort factor in terms of a Zonda for example, is more down to the development of design and modern day methods. F40 interior was created to save as much weight as possible and i do agree that some 'comfort' items on a Zonda add weight and do not need to be there, but, and its a big but, with the world economy the way it is, there are many people out there with the means to fund cars like this. Without the customers, cars like a Zonda wouldn't even exsist and people want to actually use these cars, so a degree of comfort is a small price to pay for cars such as Zonda to exsist in the modern age. So yes, they are compromised, but not to the extent where they are not considered supercars.

Back to the R8, i have bought an R8 for a couple of simple reason. I am not married and i have no kids. I don't want to run two cars, so im selling my 996 Turbo and my M5 and replacing them with an R8. Its not that big, it looks classy, it has enough power for what i will use it for, it handles very well, good warranty, hoping for no serious problems and not something i would worry about leaving on a London street. So it seems a good fit for me.

I'd also like to quash a theory that this R8 will be totally reliable in comparison to Ferrari or Lamborghini. This simply isn't true. I have friends with 430's and Gallardo's, who haven't had a single problem in years of ownership. I have a friend who's A8 is an absolute dog and goes wrong every few weeks. What im saying is, the stereotype of Italian sports cars being weak and un-reliable are a thing of the past, sure they do go wrong, but so do any BMW's or any Audi's. The only consideration is that the hourly rate of a Ferrari service tech will be much higher than an Audi tech. You get lucky and unlucky with cars. I hope to god my R8 is reliable as my neighbours 430 Spider has been in 2 years.

On another side point, i Never like to see members banned, especially those who actually buy and have ownership experience of the cars most of us like to talk about but don't have the means to buy. I think what happened on this thread is that stim is obviously a very passionate super car guy and an early insult thrown his way on this thread put him on the defensive. Then it seemed it was him vs the rest. IMO a lot of the stuff he has said on this thread i agree with. Its sad to lose a member who is passionate, knowledgable and willing to share thoughts and experiences because he's a little less PC and more opinionated than others. I love my Scuba Diving and use a diving forum to find out about the latest spots and we always get arguments and spats, but if you let things be, people get to know other people and generally, everyone turns out to be good people who contribute a lot to the forum, which is what we all want. I think this forum has lost someone who may have added a lot to the site. You guys are in charge and you make the calls but just my 2p worth.

Anyway, good site, will continue to read and will post pics up of my lovely R8 when it arrives. Supposed to arrive about now, is Audi usually this far out with projected delivery dates??

Thanks Ian

ps would anyone have an e-mail for stim as my business partner is looking at a DB9 Volante and would like to hear more about his electric problems and also his thoughts that the R10 with seriously effect R8 residuals. Thanks

r8ian
October 26th, 2007, 15:07
Oh yeah and for car of the year - drive the new Fiat 500 - i love it, thinking of a possible purchase, but im torn between getting a new one or going for the proper old version

Sanjuro
October 26th, 2007, 15:42
On another side point, i Never like to see members banned, especially those who actually buy and have ownership experience of the cars most of us like to talk about but don't have the means to buy. I think what happened on this thread is that stim is obviously a very passionate super car guy and an early insult thrown his way on this thread put him on the defensive. Then it seemed it was him vs the rest. IMO a lot of the stuff he has said on this thread i agree with. Its sad to lose a member who is passionate, knowledgable and willing to share thoughts and experiences because he's a little less PC and more opinionated than others. I love my Scuba Diving and use a diving forum to find out about the latest spots and we always get arguments and spats, but if you let things be, people get to know other people and generally, everyone turns out to be good people who contribute a lot to the forum, which is what we all want. I think this forum has lost someone who may have added a lot to the site. You guys are in charge and you make the calls but just my 2p worth.

I guess he can always start a new user account with a different name and come back pretending to be someone else. Then we don't really lose anything.

Regarding residuals on this supposed R10 the story has been well known for a long time so most of the people who would have bought one, if they've done any research at all, should have taken that into account. Limited production of the car however should keep the effect down. It has that in it's favour.

Plus the balance of the car with the V8 is so good will always have a market: people willing to buy it or woodducks like people buying RS4's because someone told them to. The same effect could be said of a 911 to a 911 turbo I guess, if Audi price the big one far enough away it shouldn't cause huge problems.

Leadfoot
October 26th, 2007, 15:50
I agree with the new account thing, he could come back with a new name and attitude and we would never know....well apart from Erik that is.

The V10 would most likely only effect this present day £30K premium that is being offered for the car, but who in their right mind would pay the same price for a R8v8 when you can get a R8v10.

RussianM3_dude
October 26th, 2007, 16:06
Hmm... join date October... but a reader for several months. First post in a "contested" thread. I think an IP check is in order. "Stim" getting "defensive". I never knew Blitzkrieg was a defensive tactic???? Well, live and learn.

Leadfoot
October 26th, 2007, 17:05
M3_dude,

Unlike you, I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt. :brag:

RussianM3_dude
October 26th, 2007, 17:09
No-no, me too.

r8ian
October 27th, 2007, 16:54
Well its seems my credability and honesty has been called into question from my very first post, which i find very childish i must say. I'm sorry if i have upset the 'gang' for speaking up for a banned member but i find it pretty short sighted to suddenly start throwing accusations around with zero proof at all, just circumstantial stuff from some wanna be Sherlock Holmes.

I wish you all well, but im simply not going to contribute to a forum where my credability has been called into question from post 1.

I welcome any IP address check from the moderators or any other check you do to find out your insinuation's are false and maybe we can all learn lessons.

Im pretty sorry i decided to post now. I have been reading another couple of Audi forums and may post photos of my R8 on these sites when it arrives. If any member of this forum happens to be a member on the other sites, feel free to copy my pictures on to this forum.

Thanks Ian

ps - Leadfoot - im not sure if you are being sarcastic or genuine, but i'd like to believe genuine - so thank you for your comments.

RussianM3_dude
October 27th, 2007, 17:22
Wow, wow, wow... Relax buddy. It's the Internet. Nobody slapped you with a glove and challenged you to a duel. Some perspective is in order here.

Leadfoot
October 27th, 2007, 20:12
r8ian,

I think you clearly misunderstood my comments they were not directed at you and were in not way sarcastic.

They were directed to M3_dude in a way of saying lighten up, just because you were agreeing with stIm doesn't mean you were one in the same or going to act in the same manner.

Please don't judge a wayward remark and a misunderstood remark as a reason not to contribute, the only thing I disagreed with stIm was what the R8 was, surely grown adults can agree to disagree without it turning into a slagging match. You agree with him on this and I for one don't have a problem with that even if I sort of disagree, but in your defence you made some pretty good points.

So let me welcome you to the forum and hope you decide to stay.:thumb:

PeterJohn
October 27th, 2007, 20:36
I think the R8 looks like a supercar. But its performance is sportscar. 10 years ago it would've been a full blown supercar, but at a time when stationwagons have 570hp V10 turbo engines, you can't call the power of the R8 superior.

Ruergard
October 28th, 2007, 15:35
I think the R8 looks like a supercar. But its performance is sportscar. 10 years ago it would've been a full blown supercar, but at a time when stationwagons have 570hp V10 turbo engines, you can't call the power of the R8 superior.

Ehum, make that when stationwagons has 580hp V10 BiTurbo engines mate! :thumb: :addict: