PDA

View Full Version : Audi and VW

Kain
June 8th, 2003, 20:05
My knowledge of Audi is not that great as I just recently became an Audi fan.

So, does VW own Audi? I am asking this because in May's issue of Car and Driver, they said that the new Audi A3 is based on the new VW Golf. Does this mean Audi does what VW tells them to do? Or does Audi operate completely on their own?

Speedracer
June 8th, 2003, 20:46
Audi is part of VW but has its own management

Nordschleife
June 8th, 2003, 20:55
Audi does exactly what VW tells it to do. Currently they have been told to do their own thing, so they are, hence the forthcoming RSR. It sounds strange in English, but its very German.

Kain
June 9th, 2003, 07:17
But isn't this "bad" for Audi? I mean the new VW Golf has the same engine, same four-wheel drive system, etc. as the new Audi A3 but for a cheaper price.

How many VW cars are similar to Audi cars?

By the way, does VW own Audi or do they just operate together?

Nordschleife
June 9th, 2003, 08:23
Kain
A bit of background:
Volkswagen AG is a German company with a significant State shareholding, in fact Chancellor Schroeder used to be a director and his official limousines are Audi A8s (armoured).
The company was ressurected by a British Army engineer, Major Allen in 1948 who got it a contract to supply Beatles to the Allied forces occupying Germany (no surprise the New Beatle is not popular in Germany, then).
VAG is the 4th largest motorvehicle manufacturer. It owns:
Volkswagen
Audi
Skoda
Seat
Bentley
Lamborghini
Bugatti
Cosworth Technology

VAG pioneered the common platform concept, so you will get cars with different brands sharing platforms. All manufacturers do this.
So the VW Golf, Audi TT, VW Beatle, Audi A3, Skoda XX(can't remember its name), Seat Something (ditto) are all related under the skin.
You will find that Passats, Superbs and A4s share platforms.
Right across the group there is platform sharing, the differences are in suspension design, engineeroing setup and components, it makes a big difference.
I would not be surprised to see VW acquire other small Italian manufacturers, presently in the stable of an ailing Italian giant.
So, the Bentley Continental GT's body is built in Trier, Germany on a version of the VW Phaeton platform, it has the W12 engine from the Phaeton and A8, the English trim the interior.

HTH
R+C

Kain
June 9th, 2003, 09:10
Thanks!

peterb
June 9th, 2003, 10:51
Originally posted by Nordschleife
British Army engineer, Major Allen
Ooo, he was the 'town major' (in Wolfsburg?). My mum worked for him, as interpreter, during the talks regarding the rebuilding of the Wolfsburg works!

Nordschleife
June 9th, 2003, 19:51
Originally posted by peterb
Ooo, he was the 'town major' (in Wolfsburg?). My mum worked for him, as interpreter, during the talks regarding the rebuilding of the Wolfsburg works!

Peter
Well your Ma is a bit of German history! He was a very far sighted guy and a hero to old VW guys.
Major Ivan Hirst (Allen was somebody else) died in the last 3 years, his obit was in the Times, but none of the VW or Audi enthusiast sites carried an obit.
Might I suggest you bring your new RS6, and mother, over to Germany, let MTM chip it, visit the Forum at Ingolstadt and then you take her up to the Autostadt in Wolfsburg. If you let the Ober Burgermeister and VW lknow you are coming, I am sure (no certain) you will be beautifully entertained.
Do let me know if you want to follow up on this, I can have a quiet word with a few people. Also where else are you going to let your car rip?
HTH
R+C

peterb
June 10th, 2003, 00:42
Peter
Well your Ma is a bit of German history! He was a very far sighted guy and a hero to old VW guys.
Major Ivan Hirst (Allen was somebody else) died in the last 3 years, his obit was in the Times, but none of the VW or Audi enthusiast sites carried an obit.[

Yes, I remember seeing Major Hirst's obituary, and showing it to my mum.

Might I suggest you bring your new RS6, and mother, over to Germany
I would love to - unfortunately my mum died in January this year.

My mum left her home in East Prussia in January 1945. From 45 - 46 she worked in Gifhorn as Bueroangestellte, and then from 46 - 49 she was in Celle, and 49 - 50 in Lueneburg, working for Disarmaments Branch.

let MTM chip it, visit the Forum at Ingolstadt and then you take her up to the Autostadt in Wolfsburg. If you let the Ober Burgermeister and VW lknow you are coming, I am sure (no certain) you will be beautifully entertained.
Do let me know if you want to follow up on this, I can have a quiet word with a few people.
That would have been fun - but it's a bit late now. :(

Also where else are you going to let your car rip?
Well, I may still bring the car across sometime.

However, my next visit to Germany will be by air, I'm flying into Frankfurt Hahn on 4 July and staying in Schlangenbad for two nights - a brief visit with our choir.

Nordschleife
June 10th, 2003, 10:12
Peter
Sorry to hear that your mother has died. East Prussia is a stunningly beautiful part of the world. All the Germans I know from that area still deeply miss it. here on the local Bavarian TV station we have a lot of documentaries, some of which show how hauntingly beautiful that are is with its limpid light.
Well your choir trip will be quite close to the ring..... perhaps you could hijack the bus and take the choir for a quick lap "Closer O Lord to thee" sounds appropriate!
Anybody with an RS6 should take the opportunity to drive early in the morning on a German Autobahn and run continuously at 300 kph, this is what the cars are best at! Last November I drove back from Berlin to Munich in under three hours, including 2 stops for gas ( a tank an hour!).

R+C

peterb
June 10th, 2003, 10:38
Peter
Sorry to hear that your mother has died.
Thanks for the condolences.

East Prussia is a stunningly beautiful part of the world. All the Germans I know from that area still deeply miss it. here on the local Bavarian TV station we have a lot of documentaries, some of which show how hauntingly beautiful that are is with its limpid light.
Indeed. My mum managed to return twice in latter years, visiting and making friends with the family now living in her house in Allenstein (Olzstyn). I intend that I should visit one day. I have a set of WDR video tapes - Klaus Bednarz, Reise durch Ostpreussen.

Well your choir trip will be quite close to the ring..... perhaps you could hijack the bus and take the choir for a quick lap "Closer O Lord to thee" sounds appropriate!
Haha - I can't see that going down too well! At 49, I'm one of the youngest members of the choir!!!

Anybody with an RS6 should take the opportunity to drive early in the morning on a German Autobahn and run continuously at 300 kph, this is what the cars are best at! Last November I drove back from Berlin to Munich in under three hours, including 2 stops for gas ( a tank an hour!).
For those of us living in a land where being caught travelling at over 160kph means that you are almost certain to lose your licence, that sounds a little daunting - almost as scarey as the fuel consumption!