PDA

View Full Version : Test drove the new M3.

Leadfoot
October 17th, 2007, 14:41
Not got time to write a full report but will say it's an impressive piece of kit.

Will post more tonight.:thumb:

frikktion
October 17th, 2007, 15:41
vamos!!!!!!!!!!

LamboM
October 17th, 2007, 16:17
That's great!
Do not forget any detail, what's the good, the bad , and the went wrong.
And how is it compare to the RS4.

Leadfoot
October 17th, 2007, 19:08
No but the dealer believes so.:hihi: And if you were given the keys to an M3 for most of the day would you make him think anything otherwise.;)

No my reasons are purely for the group, to give an objective opinion on what the new M3 is like, but if I did put a deposit down then guys this thing would indeed be the real deal, but I doubt anything would make me sway from the four rings. It would have to be right on so many fronts that you wouldn't believe.

1/ Looks (I like the 3series coupe though not a patch on the S5)
2/ Cabin Quality (previously a sore point for BMW)
3/ Smell (all previous BMW cars have made me feel sick, something to do with the glue or tanning process)
4/ Engine note (never like the old 6cyl unit)
5/ Grip/traction (especially in the damp)
6/ Steering wheel (something that Audi are the best it)

If the M3 failed at any of these they I wouldn't even consider it but might still think it's a great car.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Right, here we go.

The new M3 is a truly amazing piece of kit. Plus points are the way it now drives in traffic at normal speeds, there is a quality to the refinement of the controls (steering, brakes, gearbox etc.) that was never there in the old E46 M3. This might be down to the fact that now it's been developed from the US market or they are trying to appeal to a much larger customer base but the thing now drives more like an Audi S car than ever before and this is why many are regarding it and the RS4 so similar in their manner. The ride quality with the electronic dampers is again exceptional for what is a hi-performance sportscar and even in the most extreme setting the ride never dropped to the level that the last model had.

The biggest bug bear is i-Drive and even with it's improvements it's still a long way behind what Audi have done with their MMI, I reckon with time you will learn to get uses to it and the buttons below the CD unit are programmable. The interior was fox red which I must say is a nicer hue than Audi are using in both the S5 and the TT, maybe I too old for the brighter colour of the Audi red but for me it's a colour I would consider which I couldn't say with the S5.

Now to the engine, it power is there but it's not as in your face as it is with the RS4, I totally forget about the M-Power button so maybe this brings the two closer in this respect. Engine note again isn't in your face as much as the RS4 which products a lovely bassy tune of which the M3 never does at low speeds, but once you open the taps there is a very tuneful engine awaiting which get better and better the closer to the rev limit you go.

The roads today where dry so grip/traction was exceptional and even acceleration starts with M-Dynamic of sport mode were as good as one would ever hope from something with 420hp and only two wheels doing the driving. I think if you disabled the DSC the tyres would be in real problems and you would never match the other setting all of the time, so best programme this into the M-button if you ever want it win at the lights. I did try a couple of roundabouts which usually are a little greasy at this time of the year and again you would really need to be poking the beast for it ever to get you in trouble. Again much more practical then the old model.

The much talked about steering wheel and steering feel, firstly the wheel itself, the thing is thick but it's not covered in the same leather that the rest of the 3 series get and because of this it actually feel great though not as good as an Audi wheel but good all the same. The feel is very hard to notice on any car other than a Porsche or Lotus driven hard down a back road, there doesn't seem to be much more if any then my old S4 and it's not as good as the RS4 but again I see this as a plus because it's the Z4M Coupe's biggest failing the fact that it scares the sh1t out of you when driven really fast.

Looks at OK but it doesn't have the visual effect that the RS4 commands but I reckon colour plays a big part in this and the example I was in was black which didn't show off the roof and panels which are different. I think Silverstone or Space Grey would be best.

Is it better than a RS4, the best way to answer that is to say it acts the same only different. Ultimately I reckon the RS4 is the better car but where as before the two cars were playing a different tune this time round they are remarkably similar in everything other than which wheels are doing the driving.

In my opinion the best everyday M car by miles. And remember there is no more RS4 available so you are looking at possibly the best of it's type presently on sale.

rubyblack
October 17th, 2007, 19:15
Excellent informed and unbiased review Leadie...:applause:

Unlike some of those anal retards in the motoring press..:nono:

artur777
October 17th, 2007, 19:19
Leadfoot, very interesting!
The report is very pure - I feel it while reading. Great!
Thanks.

Could you answer please 2 questions:
1) what about acceleration from 0 to 100 and 100 to 200? could you compare that to RS4?
2) what about gearing?

RussianM3_dude
October 17th, 2007, 20:25
Audi drivers liking the new ///M??? I always said the e92 is a failiure. Ah, well, there is always the Nissan GT-R/

Rutkowsky
October 17th, 2007, 20:44
Thanx for the feedback. Pressing the power button makes a difference, not a massive as in an M5 but the "poke" at gear change is sharper. The facelift model will also have a HUD, which i found to be a very nice feature in M5/M6. I also rate this M3 as the best M so far

RussianM3_dude
October 17th, 2007, 21:07
Man!!! Audi people completely fail to understand what M stands for. The original M was a mid-engined supercar and the original M3 was a hand-built homologation special. So each new M is in fact worse then the model it replaces. If you want useable/friendly performance, get an Audi, if you want the hairs on the back of your neck to stand up... get an older M.

Leadfoot
October 17th, 2007, 21:59
Leadfoot, very interesting!
The report is very pure - I feel it while reading. Great!
Thanks.

Could you answer please 2 questions:
1) what about acceleration from 0 to 100 and 100 to 200? could you compare that to RS4?
2) what about gearing?

Sorry mate, I didn't get a chance to test these things but I don't doubt what the magazines have posted, though I reckon it will be more surface dependent than an Audi quattro car. But that M-dynamic mode is brilliant, acts a bit like LC.

Again gearing felt spot on but as I was driving in traffic or B-roads I didn't get a chance to see where the revs fell to with each change. To me it was grand but then again the same can be said of the Audi S5 and RS4.

Leadfoot
October 17th, 2007, 22:03
Thanx for the feedback. Pressing the power button makes a difference, not a massive as in an M5 but the "poke" at gear change is sharper. The facelift model will also have a HUD, which i found to be a very nice feature in M5/M6. I also rate this M3 as the best M so far

HUD is something I feel is a gimmick. A very expensive toy.

I didn't know that it was getting a face-lift, why so soon in it's lift?

P.S.

I was told that they are expecting the DSG style gearbox from July on but no idea on price. They reckon it will be similar to the current SMG cost which will mean a lot will tick that option box.

Leadfoot
October 17th, 2007, 22:09
Excellent informed and unbiased review Leadie...:applause:

Unlike some of those anal retards in the motoring press..:nono:

I promised as much and though I still rate the RS4 as that little bit better but I for one would pick it without fear that I had made the wrong decision, the car really is that good.

In fact if it was an Audi I would be very proud.

Will the RS5 or next RS4 be even better, from this brief experience of mine I can't see how they won't be based on what improvements have been made with DRCIII and the new Quattro3.

Leadfoot
October 17th, 2007, 22:16
Man!!! Audi people completely fail to understand what M stands for. The original M was a mid-engined supercar and the original M3 was a hand-built homologation special. So each new M is in fact worse then the model it replaces. If you want useable/friendly performance, get an Audi, if you want the hairs on the back of your neck to stand up... get an older M.

Maybe you are right and your only hope is that the new CSL meets your requirements but I don't understand why you feel BMW are sell out on the M badge just because it has been made more excess-able more of the time.

To me your logic doesn't stand up. This is without a doubt the best M car for everyday driving and surely that is what everyone needs, I wouldn't think of buying an M3 as a trackday car when there is many much better choices available. BMW have improved the car for what it is meant for which is a day to day mode of transport for a owner looking a coupe shape with four doors. I just wished the S5 had been more of a match for this M3 in much the same way as the old S4 was for the last one.

RussianM3_dude
October 17th, 2007, 22:34
The problem is... The M cars are basically morphing into regular BMWs. There is no particular difference now between the M models and the regular ones, then why make M models???? The 335 has beter steering, the 135 has better brakes, both have the same interior as the M3. As I said before, the new M3 is a brilliant BMW but an average M. BMW is taking the reverse approach of ALL other companies, which are making their sports models more and more hardcore as well as distinct from the regular models performance-wise.

Leadfoot
October 17th, 2007, 23:59
M3_dude,

I liked the new M3 so surely that is daming enough for you.;)

phEight
October 18th, 2007, 02:17
For once I agree with Russianm3dude. M cars are supposed to be savage beasts, not tame, extraordinarily refined quiet machines. BMW may have made a great car, but the question still stands if it deserves an M badge. I haven't driven the machine so I can't answer, I'm only speculating based on all these reviews. EVERYONE has said it's tame, and it's not like previous M cars in it's characteristics, and that kinda sucks.

RussianM3_dude
October 18th, 2007, 08:33
M3_dude,

I liked the new M3 so surely that is daming enough for you.;)

Exactly, damning with faint praise.

Leadfoot
October 18th, 2007, 09:41
A few years ago VAG stole some chassis guys for BMW which later on stole them back again.

:vhmmm: I wonder in that brief period of learning from Audi how they did things have those very same guys been instrumental in making the new M3 the best M car ever.

It does make you think.;)

RussianM3_dude
October 18th, 2007, 10:06
BMW just got a taste of high sales. Why build a magazine pleasing M3 and sell 50,000 when they can build something that pleases the phat arsed purse holders and sell 100,000. Danger is...

The market is oversaturated with BMWs. Even the M models. They no longer mark you as an enthusiast anymore.

Once the enthusiasts leave, the posers will follow. Once lost, the sporting reputation will be hard to gain back. It used to be so easy. You bought a Benz to show that you have arrived, an Audi if you needed the AWD and a BMW if you liked to drive. Now it's not so clear anymore and BMW has not done enough to differentiate itself from the other car companies. The only thing they offer over the competition is the quickly shrinking performance/fun advantage.

It must also be remembered that the Japanese/Americans are raising their game a lot too, in Europe. Lexus is steadily gaining sales, people were importing Infinitis even though they were not even on sale and they are coming 2008 to Europe officially. The new Caddy CTS, is a good looking car that is said to have a better steering then the 3 series.

And BMW arguably has the weakest line-up in a long time right now, with either relative duds like the 7 series, old models like the 3er and the 5er, old sports car Z4, reskinned old SUV, not so popular X3, ugly X6, soft M3 etc.

Leadfoot
October 18th, 2007, 12:23
AND YOU ARE THE WALLY THAT KEEPS SHOUTING BMW'S PRAISES.

Do you not think it's time to realise that Audi is the most forward thinking brand out there with products which are meeting all the customers' needs.

I think someone here said it best.

FOUR RINGS TO RULE THEM ALL

RussianM3_dude
October 18th, 2007, 12:42
I am not a nerd so I don't know what that phrase means.

Audi will never provide what I look for in a car, so once I get completely dissapointed in BMW, I'll move to something else, like Infiniti.

Leadfoot
October 18th, 2007, 13:29
I can't speak for the Infiniti brand, I like some of their US models like the SUV version which looks way better than the Nissan Murano. But it's still Japanese looking inside and though it will no doubt be very reliable, I couldn't live with this interior style.

I believe unless you are happy with the environment you are seating in, meaning the interior design then all of the other elements of the experience come second. If I can't like the interior then regardless of how good it drive I could never live with it, you 95% of the time just drive along with the rest of the traffic be it in town or on the motorway so in these times unless the differences are huge, the experience regardless of which wheels are doing the driving is usually very similar.

So like I said if you dislike the environment you are seating in then everything else is less important.

RussianM3_dude
October 18th, 2007, 13:52
No necessarily. Me, as long as I have supportive seats, the rest is secondary. I can live with the Exige interior, no problem.

Leadfoot
October 18th, 2007, 19:57
This is for all like M3_dude who feel that the new M3 is a little too tame compared to the last one in many ways. Maybe this is true but I will tell you this, the engine note isn't one of them.;)

Enjoy. Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGLPd_mCbf8&mode=related&search)

AuditudeA642
October 20th, 2007, 20:54
In the Looks Department RS4>M3

Leadfoot
October 20th, 2007, 23:56
In the Looks Department RS4>M3

Totally agree, regardless of colour the RS4 always looks meaty where as the M3 only looks right in lighter shades and best of all in either white, silverstone or space grey and regardless of which rims are best for performance it needs the 19" to look it's best.

Engine note again sounds best from the RS4 seat but only up to around 5500rpm at which point the M3 starts to sound better and is amazing by the 7000rpm. Another thing where the RS4 is better is throttle response, though I didn't push the power button which might even things out.

raulg
October 22nd, 2007, 07:59
This is for all like M3_dude who feel that the new M3 is a little too tame compared to the last one in many ways. Maybe this is true but I will tell you this, the engine note isn't one of them.;)

Enjoy. Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGLPd_mCbf8&mode=related&search)

Is the camera car another M3 or it's something else? It's easily faster, but it can also be just the driver.

Leadfoot
October 22nd, 2007, 10:22
Is the camera car another M3 or it's something else? It's easily faster, but it can also be just the driver.

It might be another M3 but in any case if you are following you will always find it much easier to keep up.

raulg
October 23rd, 2007, 18:15
It might be another M3 but in any case if you are following you will always find it much easier to keep up.

Not just following .. this guy was way behind the M3. In the begining the M3 was no where in the front, so the camera guy is either faster or in a faster car.

Leadfoot
October 23rd, 2007, 22:27
Alas it doesn't say what the car was, maybe it was a RS4.;)

What do you think RussianM3_dude.:hihi:

RussianM3_dude
October 24th, 2007, 08:19
The CSL????

Leadfoot
October 24th, 2007, 10:40
The CSL????

I haven't any speakers at work, does the camera car sound like a CSL ? There is no doubt the CSL would be quick enough to catch the M3 and from the footage it does seem to offer similar acceleration, so you might be right in thinking it's a CSL.

But it could also be a RS4. :hihi:

Benman
October 24th, 2007, 18:54
For once I agree with Russianm3dude. M cars are supposed to be savage beasts, not tame, extraordinarily refined quiet machines.

Actually guys, this is very simple economics. BMW can sell probably about 500 M3s if they are "pure" no holds bar track machines. Only that many would have both the money, and the skill to handle it. Not to mention the horrendous ride quality. But making them more "user friendly" for us non-Schuey types, they can now sell 10,000. Hence why all the well to do soccer moms in So Cal want one. Cause it takes no skill. None. Get in and drive. Now driving fast, yes, it takes a little skill, but under normal conditions, it is idiot proof.

Compare that to a complete track machine (like the Champion Audi S4 racecar we bought). Heck, just pulling out of the pits you can loop it if you're stupid. And THAT is exactly why more and more manufactures are "dumbing down" their elite models. To make them more accessable, i.e. buyable.

Sorry for the "purists" out there, but it really makes a lot of economics sense from the manufacture's perspective.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
October 24th, 2007, 23:16
Ben,

The new M3 is the most impressive BMW ever produced and will appeal to a very wide customer base which this time includes more Audi owners than ever before.

It's still only rwd which will still be an issue in very extreme weather areas where is snows more than most, but for the rest of us it's grip is quite amazing. Look no further than the new F430 with it's E-diff and you will know that ESP software etc has come on a very long way from those early days.

Benman
October 24th, 2007, 23:29
Ben,

The new M3 is the most impressive BMW ever produced and will appeal to a very wide customer base which this time includes more Audi owners than ever before.

Don't get me wrong, I personally agree with "dumbing" down cars. No one would want our racecar for street (myself included). It makes no sense. A CSL (according to Gote) is livable but still hardly his daily driver and I can assure you that the CSL is a Lincoln Towncar compared to the Champion S4 racecar.

So my point was kinda' your point. They "dumb" them down for broader appeal. But great to know they didn't "dumb" it down too much. I think RussianM3 may not be aware of what he is really asking for. If BMW (or any manufacuter for that matter) made their cars rawer vs friendly/more usable each year, there would be fewer and fewer drivers capable (but I'm sure RussinaM3 could handle it of course).

Ben:addict:

RussianM3_dude
October 25th, 2007, 08:25
I drove my M3 through the Canadian winter... No problems. Even with an inch and a half of fresh snow on the ground. There is a guy who comes to work near me, in a Mk1 Elise, every day (except the winter.) I am all for having a more relaxed performance model. I just wish there were more options to those of us that want something more (or less in this case.)

Rutkowsky
October 25th, 2007, 13:04
I haven't any speakers at work, does the camera car sound like a CSL ? There is no doubt the CSL would be quick enough to catch the M3 and from the footage it does seem to offer similar acceleration, so you might be right in thinking it's a CSL.

But it could also be a RS4. :hihi:

The new M3 is brand new with few hundred miles on it. The owner is Angus, racing driver who didn't know that he was being filmed also didn't push the car. The CSL/camera car is fully prep'ed track car with AP's brakes, racing brake fluids and cups and driven by some melon

Leadfoot
October 25th, 2007, 13:22
The new M3 is brand new with few hundred miles on it. The owner is Angus, racing driver who didn't know that he was being filmed also didn't push the car. The CSL/camera car is fully prep'ed track car with AP's brakes, racing brake fluids and cups and driven by some melon

Ruthowsky,

Have you got your M3 yet or are you still waiting.

Rutkowsky
October 25th, 2007, 20:37
Ruthowsky,

Have you got your M3 yet or are you still waiting.

No, not yet, still driving the e46 M3, i have the M-DCT or SMG (whichever they decide to release first) on order so i am looking at april 08 or later i'm afraid. In regards to facelift, no known date yet but whenever that happens we will see the new improved HUD version.

Rutkowsky
October 25th, 2007, 20:42
Leadie,

once i get M3 and you happen to be in London, let me know :cheers:

Leadfoot
October 25th, 2007, 23:40
Leadie,

once i get M3 and you happen to be in London, let me know :cheers:

We might just have them at the same time. :cheers:

Rutkowsky
October 26th, 2007, 10:30
We might just have them at the same time. :cheers:

I think i am reading and writing in a sleep :jlol: Well done Leadie, I am also happy about this new M because it combines M and RS in one IMO. It is good to change cars every now and then, i used to be all Audi, S8, RS6 now M3 then new M3 (2008) after that, i'll see. I am not blindly loyal to one brand, i won't criticise anyone for doing so though, it is just me, if i see a brand that ticks the boxes for me, i'm buying it, well within a certain budget of course. :0:

Leadfoot
October 26th, 2007, 10:52
I would class myself as brand loyal as I normally drive VAG cars of one sort or another but I will look at something different if like you said ticks all the boxes. This time round the RS4 was going out of production so I didn't want something not up to date. The C63 is alas only an auto currently with not word on a DSG style box, plus resale of AMG cars in the first two years aren't great compared to the M and RS model so for someone who changes as often as me it would be the wrong choice.

I reckon I will have the M3 only 10~14months if I am right with my dates for the RS5 launch but if it stretches to 18months there is worse car to be driving around in.

+44 Dave
October 26th, 2007, 11:15
I reckon I will have the M3 only 10~14months if I am right with my dates for the RS5 launch but if it stretches to 18months there is worse car to be driving around in.

Didnt know you were getting an M3 leadie?
Whatever happened to the 335i being the better car :)

Leadfoot
October 26th, 2007, 11:43
Didnt know you were getting an M3 leadie?
Whatever happened to the 335i being the better car :)

Fair point and I reckon it still is a brilliant car but I was just amazed at how good the traction was with the M3, more than I remembered was available with the 335i I test drove months ago and being the common 3 series and already being out for the best part of a year it's numbers are plentiful which will lead to a poorer resale value when I come to change. The M3 will only be out for 6~7months when mine comes along so it shouldn't be many about and enough fewer on sale (remember I will be changing as soon as the RS5 is available).

I love turboed engines and hope the RS5 returns to Audi's heritage of turboed RS versions.

Leadfoot
October 26th, 2007, 11:48
But in any case I am looking forward to my S5 first which should be appearing in the next 7~8weeks. :love2:

On that front, Erik any word on a wee smiley for the S5. :thumb:

RussianM3_dude
October 26th, 2007, 13:08
So for how long are you keeping the S5 for?

Leadfoot
October 26th, 2007, 13:29
So for how long are you keeping the S5 for?

Roughly 7~8 months, will all depend if the M3 arrives on time.

tazsura
October 26th, 2007, 13:32
Fair point and I reckon it still is a brilliant car but I was just amazed at how good the traction was with the M3, more than I remembered was available with the 335i I test drove months ago and being the common 3 series and already being out for the best part of a year it's numbers are plentiful which will lead to a poorer resale value when I come to change. The M3 will only be out for 6~7months when mine comes along so it shouldn't be many about and enough fewer on sale (remember I will be changing as soon as the RS5 is available).

I love turboed engines and hope the RS5 returns to Audi's heritage of turboed RS versions.

Don't come to East London/Essex Leadie. The new M3 is already EVERYWHERE! I see at least two everyday. Most have been in black or red. Caught glimpse of a silver one yday which looked better, as the others I have seen have done nothing for me. Strange, as red and black are my fav colours! Somthing just doesn't look right on the M3, can't figure out what it is...

Taz :rs4kiss:

Taz

Leadfoot
October 26th, 2007, 13:39
Taz,

I hate them is both these two colours, which is strange as both good amazing in the S5, clearly Audi's design is less effected by the choice of colour.

What interior colour have you seen, any in Fox red.

tazsura
October 26th, 2007, 13:44
Yeah, all the black ones i have seen have been with the red interior, and 19" wheels. Have not seen any 18"'s so far.

I see a red one everyday and that has red interior too! Not a good look! The others i have seen have had dark interiors...i think black. Don't know if they do a dark grey interior?

Silver outside, with Red inside would be my choice.

Taz :thumb:

Leadfoot
October 26th, 2007, 14:26
Yeah, all the black ones i have seen have been with the red interior, and 19" wheels. Have not seen any 18"'s so far.

I see a red one everyday and that has red interior too! Not a good look! The others i have seen have had dark interiors...i think black. Don't know if they do a dark grey interior?

Silver outside, with Red inside would be my choice.

Taz :thumb:

I looked at silver but felt that the black cf roof stood out to much (I know that's what everyone want but not me) so have both toying with either Space Grey or Sparkling Graphite, at the moment it's the second one which I am leaning to but both look good with the red interior (extended of course). The wheels are the headache, almost all M3s are sold in 19" form but every review states the 18" are the best option, plus I prefer the look of the 18", my fear is picking the wrong choice and it will effect it's resale, again most have is the electronic dampers but again the best choice is normal spring.

Decisions.....decisions.:vhmmm:

Plenty of time anyway as final spec is still months away.;)

tazsura
October 26th, 2007, 14:36
Well, your not keeping this car, so i'd spec to sell. So 19's and the electronic dampers.

How comes your going for the M3 anyway?...keeping the S5 as well?
Panamera? RS5?

Do you need a chaffeur? Lol

Taz :burnout:

Leadfoot
October 26th, 2007, 14:48
Well, your not keeping this car, so i'd spec to sell. So 19's and the electronic dampers.

How comes your going for the M3 anyway?...keeping the S5 as well?
Panamera? RS5?

Do you need a chaffeur? Lol

Taz :burnout:

Made enquires about the Panamera, orders are already being taken and deposits are down at £3K a shot, the dealer I was with have already 10 firm orders and prices are expected to be £55K plus but when specced you will be nearer £62K, too much for my blood, especially for a 3.6v6 with 300hp.

The deposit is sitting with the dealer but as I know him well I can change to what ever I fancy, only when you have to firm up the order will the deposit be tied to the car.