PDA

View Full Version : weird startup noises

Cargo8
October 14th, 2007, 21:30
so i got in my car today at like 11:00 am in Los angeles, so its not super cold or anything. anyway, when i turn it on, it makes a really strange idle. I hear an undulating engine tone, going up and down rapidly, and then look at the tach and notice it around 1000, but not steady like a normal idle, but rather bobbing up and down a bit. Usually on a cold startup or something, i understand the idle is higher to warm up the exhaust and improve emissions, but it was not a normal idle, it was unsteady for some reason. I drive to the market like 10 mintes away, and after buying my lunch, i get back in my car and start it up. The sound was a bit unclear because of my music playing immediately, but it almost sounded like the engine blew out a bunch of rocks and pebbles. Have you driven over some loose gravel and heard it crackling on the bottom of your car or something? kinda like that, but it was as if the rev of the engine was blowing that loose whatever out. when i got home, i stopped and started several times but could not repeat either phenomenon.

Any idea on what it could be? i just had my service a couple weeks ago and tehre was no problem. please help
it could be nothing, but it could be something.

Ricoloco
October 14th, 2007, 21:32
Misfire? Check it up

Cargo8
October 15th, 2007, 01:01
howcan i check it? take it in?