PDA

View Full Version : Audi TTS update.

Iceman
October 11th, 2007, 16:10
I have seen the new TT-S in the color Red.
The TT-S will have a complete new front bumper with a semi hovering SFG with S-specific vertical chrome bars, S-Line style rear bumper and sideskirts with new design, fog lights with chrome ring, aluminium side rearview mirrors, horizontal LED's in headlight like RS6 and new facelift S8 style wheels.
The engine is still rumoured to be a 2.0TFSI with 265-280 hp.
Debut will be on the Tokio Motorshow end this month.

I'm not sure i like the new front bumper/grill based on the quick view i had.

Hans.

RussianM3_dude
October 11th, 2007, 16:26
What's a semi-hovering SFG?????

I suspect the price will be .... Ouch!!!!

Iceman
October 11th, 2007, 16:31
What's a semi-hovering SFG?????

I suspect the price will be .... Ouch!!!!
It look like the bottom of the SFG is not connected with the lower part of the front spoiler.

Hans.

RussianM3_dude
October 11th, 2007, 16:45
What's a SFG????

Iceman
October 11th, 2007, 16:52
What's a SFG????

SFG= Sigle Frame Grill.

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 11th, 2007, 17:19
I can't wait to see the TT/S in the fresh so to speak. I am still happy that the 2.0TFSi is the chosen engine as it's the best choice with regards to tuning, weight and character (apart from engine note). I still hope the option of a factory power pack is offered.

Hans, no pics for us yet. PLEASE.:bow:

Iceman
October 11th, 2007, 17:30
Hans, no pics for us yet. PLEASE.:bow:
Sorry mate, Embargo till Audi release the pics them self.
I will not jeopardize my Audi connection for that. ;)

Hans.

BTW, what is wrong with the signatures.

nene
October 11th, 2007, 18:42
About the signatures...

Bad news - IMG tags = image tags = pictures in your signatures have been disabled. This will give the forum a cleaner look.
http://www.rs6.com/forum/profile.php?do=editsignature

Iceman
October 11th, 2007, 18:54
About the signatures...

Bad news - IMG tags = image tags = pictures in your signatures have been disabled. This will give the forum a cleaner look.
http://www.rs6.com/forum/profile.php?do=editsignature

OK thanks.

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 11th, 2007, 19:27
Sorry mate, Embargo till Audi release the pics them self.
I will not jeopardize my Audi connection for that. ;)

Hans.

BTW, what is wrong with the signatures.

Fair point, I have had to sit on info before so I totally understand. :thumb:

RXBG
October 11th, 2007, 20:16
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks iceman :)

looking forward very anxiously to tokyo.

SigmaS6
October 11th, 2007, 22:11
I am still happy that the 2.0TFSi is the chosen engine as it's the best choice with regards to tuning, weight and character (apart from engine note).
Yeah, keep ignoring the I5 this car should have gotten :)
Stupid GTI 4-pot... ;)

Leadfoot
October 11th, 2007, 22:38
Yeah, keep ignoring the I5 this car should have gotten :)
Stupid GTI 4-pot... ;)

Yeah I know and agree that a five cylinder engine would have been the idea choice which I doubt anyone would have disagreed with but for one reason or another the logic's of it meant it wouldn't fit.

If Hans is right though there still is a chance we will see a five cylinder yet, though it might be positioned in the same manner as the A4 and above.;)

HKS786
October 12th, 2007, 20:49
Yeah I know and agree that a five cylinder engine would have been the idea choice which I doubt anyone would have disagreed with but for one reason or another the logic's of it meant it wouldn't fit.

If Hans is right though there still is a chance we will see a five cylinder yet, though it might be positioned in the same manner as the A4 and above.;)

I think we could see a 5 cylinder engine. Remember that source said we might see one that will rival the 335i engine? who knows though...

Regarding the TT-S, I think we can learn some things from the Clubsport Concept. It did have those LEDs in the headlights. It also had the 2.0 TFSI engine (over 300bhp), RS style exhausts, 20'' RS4 style wheels, ceramic brakes, wide arches and huge intakes on the front bumper. I loved the way the exhausts were more included in the rear bumper design...

Also, the interior sported an RS style steering wheel, great sound system etc. There was also the dual clutch gearbox...

SigmaS6
October 12th, 2007, 21:34
I think we can learn some things from the Clubsport Concept. It also had the 2.0 TFSI engine (over 300bhp)

My key learning was that it's probably an important trend to be on the downsizing bandwagon these days, even if the engine will have to create more than half of it's power just from the turbo. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to it, but I'd go crazy in a car where one has to drive constantly close to the rev limiter to get the responsiveness and power you'd expect from a 300+hp engine.

Apart from that I agree though, the visual changes are a plus, but that's nothing that makes you buy that car if you don't like the technical spec, i.e. the engine.

I'd rather go for a slightly uglier design, e.g. BMW Z4M, if it has the better engine, and I don't see a 2l turbo engine making a dent compared to other sporty 2+2 seaters. Except for fuel efficiency maybe, but that's a rather ironic merit for a car in the sporty segment ;)

Leadfoot
October 12th, 2007, 21:59
SimgaS6,

So basically you are from the school of thought that would pick a big V12 engined supercar over something like a GT2 Porsche just because it's go a "NA" engine and bags of revs. I can understand your views though I don't share them, I think if a car out performs, out handles and visually looks superior then what the engine is or sounds like is the least of my concerns.

The quality of turbo engines are at such a level as to dismiss them pure on that fact is plain silly, I agree that sound wise I too would prefer a bigger V6 or V8 engine over a in-line 4 but that would stop me from purchasing what would be a brilliant car.

The very tuning options available to a turbo engine over a NA engine makes it a much better option at this price level. You have to remember that this car will be no more than £33K and that will be with a spec much superior to it's main rivals. I don't think BMW would sell any more 335i cars if it happened to have as much power but was N/A instead of turbos.;)

SigmaS6
October 12th, 2007, 22:28
So basically you are from the school of thought that would pick a big V12 engined supercar over something like a GT2 Porsche just because it's go a "NA" engine and bags of revs.
Nah, I'm not that stubborn :)

Take a look at the Carrera Turbo, that's probably the finest example of a well engineered and extremely harmonic engine: maximum torque continuously from 1950 up to 5000 rpm. I'd trade in a displacement-only engine for such a beauty any time.

But a 2l 4 cylinder can be as high powered as they can make it, I wouldn't be interested. Even with 400hp it's still restricted to 2l, which will always be a dominant factor for the overall experience. And it will always have the 4 cylinder standard sound, so not even the best engineers in the world could make it S-worthy for me.

The very tuning options available to a turbo engine over a NA engine makes it a much better option at this price level.
I agree, as soon as you take the price into consideration the 2l engine gets attractive, but then again that's a curse as well. The next Golf GTI will get the same engine but with 250hp, so the TTS will suddenly be in the same league as the GTI (or vice versa, depending on the viewpoint). Maybe it's me, but I've always seen the S-models of audi outside of that economically priced yet somehow fast and therefore attractive to young buyers league.

Even the S3 was able to keep a noticable distance to the current GTI. Not sure if VW is just getting better or if Audi is losing it's leadership, but the TT starts to get a bad example for Audis capabilities.

Leadfoot
October 12th, 2007, 23:52
I agree, as soon as you take the price into consideration the 2l engine gets attractive, but then again that's a curse as well. The next Golf GTI will get the same engine but with 250hp, so the TTS will suddenly be in the same league as the GTI (or vice versa, depending on the viewpoint). Maybe it's me, but I've always seen the S-models of audi outside of that economically priced yet somehow fast and therefore attractive to young buyers league.

Even the S3 was able to keep a noticable distance to the current GTI. Not sure if VW is just getting better or if Audi is losing it's leadership, but the TT starts to get a bad example for Audis capabilities.

Firstly the GTi will not have 250hp, tops will be 225hp will is in my opinion based on my experience of the wife's GTi 25hp too much as the current one is a handful for a fwd chassis.

You have to remember that the TT is basically a A3 dressed in a nice suit and even if it's alloy/steel shell improves the balance and handling it will never totally shake off it's roots. But in fairness the new chassis is possibly the best balanced fwd based chassis currently available, the Renault Megane R26 out grips it but this is down in no small part to having a LSD. When you give the TT in 2.0TFSi form the quattro chassis you improve the grip hugely and also improve the balance even more to the point when you are no longer looking at 59/41% front to rear but more like 55% or even 54% at the front which is something unheard of with a fwd based chassis. This thing will perform and possibly even out grip that amazing Cayman chassis which in this sector is the best by quite a bit.

Only when we finally see the spec and the group tests will we fully appreciate what Audi have achieved with the TT/S. Personally I reckon it won't be another R8 but I reckon it will get similar praise when one take into consideration the price bracket it is in.

SigmaS6
October 13th, 2007, 00:01
Firstly the GTi will not have 250hp, tops will be 225hp
The 250ps for the GTI come from the AMS article where they interviewed the VW chief engineer, so I can't believe they're that far from the truth.

improve the balance even more to the point when you are no longer looking at 59/41% front to rear but more like 55% or even 54% at the front which is something unheard of with a fwd based chassis.
Not quite sure how those numbers fit with the haldex system. Afaik it adds the rwd once the fwd is not sufficient anymore, but there's no steady ~50/50 split. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Leadfoot
October 13th, 2007, 00:06
The 250ps for the GTI come from the AMS article where they interviewed the VW chief engineer, so I can't believe they're that far from the truth.

Not quite sure how those numbers fit with the haldex system. Afaik it adds the rwd once the fwd is not sufficient anymore, but there's no steady ~50/50 split. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

It was weight balance I was talking about not power split.:thumb:

As for the power thing again it a gut feeling regarding the power based on experience, it give a new model a 25% power increase is a lot, especially when you are not expected to increase the price as well. ;)

SigmaS6
October 13th, 2007, 00:22
It was weight balance I was talking about not power split.:thumb:
Now it makes more sense :)

But in that case I wonder if you really can feel that. The weight difference between the two engines is like what, 40kg? And if it works i wonder if it wouldn't be a similar effect if I put the drivers seat to the last notch to shift a bit more weight to the back :)

As for the power thing again it a gut feeling regarding the power based on experience, it give a new model a 25% power increase is a lot, especially when you are not expected to increase the price as well. ;)
Depends from where you measure, the GTI already has 230 today if you take the 30-edition, so adding just 10% brings you to that point. Also power has become cheap over the last years as nearly all manufacturers are at a point where they know how to create it. My favourite examples are the mazda 3 with 263ps and the 350Z with 313ps.

Imo it will get harder to justify the VW/Audi prices if you don't pull the performance to the same level. Paying more for the same would be less of a headache for me than paying more for less.

So the only reason that I see against such a strategy is that you want to protect your own brands upper models. But that's futile anyway as that just makes it easier for the competitors to beat you.

Leadfoot
October 13th, 2007, 00:38
Now it makes more sense :)

But in that case I wonder if you really can feel that. The weight difference between the two engines is like what, 40kg? And if it works i wonder if it wouldn't be a similar effect if I put the drivers seat to the last notch to shift a bit more weight to the back :)

Because you are already close to the centre of the car your weight being forward those few cm would mean little. The Haldex system at the rear weighs in at 50kgs so it's effect way back there will be greater. :thumb:

Depends from where you measure, the GTI already has 230 today if you take the 30-edition, so adding just 10% brings you to that point. Also power has become cheap over the last years as nearly all manufacturers are at a point where they know how to create it. My favourite examples are the mazda 3 with 263ps and the 350Z with 313ps.

Imo it will get harder to justify the VW/Audi prices if you don't pull the performance to the same level. Paying more for the same would be less of a headache for me than paying more for less.

So the only reason that I see against such a strategy is that you want to protect your own brands upper models. But that's futile anyway as that just makes it easier for the competitors to beat you.

Well there you go, I think you have answered your on question on power for the next GTi, it will be 230hp from the limited edition model. Regarding the Mazda 3 MPS even with all it's extra power roadtesters the world over are preferring the Golf so clearly there is more to a great car than just power alone.

I think the main different between VW and Audi is you are paying extra not only for the badge but also for better trims, finish and more stylist designs. If you don't buy into the whole German quality and image thing then chances are Japanese motors are the way to go, they are ultra reliable and go like shit. Personally I prefer the styling of the German brands and their better fit and finish but one can't knock the performance of their Japanese counterparts. :asian:

SigmaS6
October 13th, 2007, 00:53
one can't knock the performance of their Japanese counterparts. :asian:
and god created the quattro Gmbh and saw that it was mighty enough to break that domination :bow: :D

Iceman
October 13th, 2007, 01:37
The Golf GTI Pirelli also have 230 hp and the Mazda 3 MPS Extreme have 282 hp.
Volkswagen is also planning a Golf RSI with a 280 hp 2.0TFSI engine and 4Motion 4WD.
But i still wonder where the rumour came from about a 308 hp 2.3 litre VR5 TFSI engine for the TT(?)
It would be a major surprice if Audi would put it in the TTS.
Audi have change a few thing on the faster TT since the first dealer info came out, like a complete new front bumper design.
And maybe they have also a engine surprice @ there sleeves.
The more powerfull 2.0TFSI can easely become just a TT 2.0TFSI Quattro.
The TTS i have seen had a close hood all the time and there was no mention of the engine details only that it will have more power then the S3. ?

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 13th, 2007, 12:42
The Golf GTI Pirelli also have 230 hp and the Mazda 3 MPS Extreme have 282 hp.
Volkswagen is also planning a Golf RSI with a 280 hp 2.0TFSI engine and 4Motion 4WD.
But i still wonder where the rumour came from about a 308 hp 2.3 litre VR5 TFSI engine for the TT(?)
Audi have change a few thing on the faster TT since the first dealer info came out, like a complete new front bumper design.
And maybe they have also a engine surprice @ there sleeves.
The more powerfull 2.0TFSI can easely become just a TT 2.0TFSI Quattro.
The TTS i have seen had a close hood all the time and there was no mention of the engine details only that it will have more power then the S3. ?

Hans.

Seriously Hans, you believe they will bring back the RSi badge for the Golf this time. I reckon if that is indeed the case then I very much doubt the S3 will stay at 265hp, unless there is all new more powerful S3 or possibly RS3 waiting in the wings.;) And then it's that domino effect there if the S3 gets more power then the TT/S will also need to be more powerful and so on and so on.

A VR5TFSi would sound pretty sweet under the hood of the TT/S, and you are wondering where that rumour started from, ;) come on Hans.:hihi:

One thing for sure if Audi do bring out the TT/S with a 5 cylinder engine then it's a done deal that a TT with a more powerful 2.0TFSi engine and quattro will follow shortly afterwards.

Iceman
October 13th, 2007, 12:56
Here a Quick Photoshop of how the TTS will look like.

http://www.audiforum.nl/phpBB2/files/audi-tts_882.jpg

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 13th, 2007, 13:58
It's interesting but I am not so sure I like it. I think it's one of those designs which has to work on you then all of a sudden you think it's amazing.

ZeroCool
October 13th, 2007, 16:17

They'll put this engine into the TT-RS, not in the TT-S - first there were informations that it will have 350 PS but the 308 HP which you said, could be also right, because i heard, that the 350 PS 5-cylinder (which is already testing in some mules) is going to beat the R8 - and i think it's clear for everybody that they don't want that...

Iceman
October 13th, 2007, 16:47
It's interesting but I am not so sure I like it. I think it's one of those designs which has to work on you then all of a sudden you think it's amazing.
I had the same with my first look, but based on my photoshop compare to older TTS ones i made, i like this new design much better.
If you see this coming on the street you directly know it's a TTS.
I'm only not sure about the basic rear wing, i think i prefer one with a Carbon fibre extension or maybe the Bi-plane "Pogea Racing" one.
The only disappointing faktor in my eyes is the supposed 2.0TFSI engine.
I don't like it and will never like it, even a Volkswagen 2.3 litre VR5 engine as a TFSI version would be a better option.
German HGP-Turbo get 280 hp out of the old VR5 2V version, by putting in 4V and FSI you get easy 300+ hp out of it, let stand alone what Audi could do with it if they put there minds to it.
Another option is buying a TTS and give it a engine upgrade your self.

Hans.

ZeroCool
October 13th, 2007, 20:33
Or as i said a post before yours....wait for the TT-RS :)

Iceman
October 14th, 2007, 15:11
Or as i said a post before yours....wait for the TT-RS :)
There is a new rumour floating around (Audi UK) that the TT with S3 engine will not be called TTS but just TT 2.0TFSI Quattro. ?
If that's the case then the 308 hp 2.3 VR5 TFSI engine rumour can have some true to it as a TTS engine.
And if so there will not be a TT-RS at all.

Hans.

ZeroCool
October 14th, 2007, 16:19
ok...that could be, that they'll maybe call the models TT 2.0TFSI Quattro and TT-S or TT-S and TT-RS ... that's not the point ... the point is, that there will be a 5 Cylinder Engine in the TT :D

if 308 hp or 350 hp - that's also the question...but i think it will be the 308hp version because the 350 hp version as i said before is going to beat the R8 ...

Leadfoot
October 14th, 2007, 18:28
The really interesting point isn't the name be it TT2.0FSi Quattro or TT/S what it could mean is if that the TT/S will be a 2.3L 5cylinder TFSi with a possible 310hp with an even more important 280~300ft/lbs of torque combined with DSG. That would not only mean it's quicker than the Cayman S in acceleration, but also the Z4M Coupe as well.

Iceman
October 15th, 2007, 20:42
The only problem is that a VR5 not quite sound the same as a inline 5.
The VR5 have a more cross sound between a inline 5 and a VR6 due to the ignition sequence.
It dus not ruffle the way like a inline 5 do.
It's a 5 but not a inline 5, big differents.

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 15th, 2007, 21:01
Hans,

What's the weight difference between the VR5 and the in-line 4 and is it all alloy or the same make-up as the current VR6?

Iceman
October 15th, 2007, 21:13
Hans,

What's the weight difference between the VR5 and the in-line 4 and is it all alloy or the same make-up as the current VR6?
It's identical to the old 174 hp 2.8 litre 2v VR6 minus one cylinder, and is ± 20 Kg havier then a inline 4, where a VR6 is ± 40 Kg havier.
There was a 2v 150 hp and a 4v 170 hp (Red 5) version of the engine.

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 15th, 2007, 21:28
It's identical to the old 174 hp 2.8 litre 2v VR6 minus one cylinder, and is ± 20 Kg havier then a inline 4, where a VR6 is ± 40 Kg havier.
There was a 2v 150 hp and a 4v 170 hp (Red 5) version of the engine.

Hans.

So you are basically saying that when the turbo is included the VR5 will roughly end up as heavy as the 3.2VR6 currently in the front of the TT. So where is the benefit to the handling and weight balance then. :rolleyes:

Sure it will be plenty quick enough but sadly won't handle any better. I think they need to choice a lighter option because where is the benefit to the car otherwise. :brag:

Iceman
October 15th, 2007, 21:49
I still don't know why they still make the VR6 engine's out off cast iron. :vhmmm:

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 15th, 2007, 21:51
Especially when you think that the new 3.0TDi Bi-turbo is I believe made entirely out of aluminium. Don't figure.

Leadfoot
October 16th, 2007, 14:02
This is the first unmasked pictures of the TT/S.

Audi_TT/S (http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071016.013/photo1/audi-tt-s-spied-with-led-headlamps)

itisme
October 16th, 2007, 14:27
This is the first unmasked pictures of the TT/S.

Audi_TT/S (http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071016.013/photo1/audi-tt-s-spied-with-led-headlamps)

looks like a nose bear to me...

first time i dislike a Audi design... sry

Leadfoot
October 16th, 2007, 14:47
I said the same thing to Hans the first time I seen it, but am hoping the design will grow on me.:rolleyes:

I have to agree, it's the first time an Audi design hasn't won me over at first sight and it's the first time a haven't fallen head over heels for a TT so have Audi made a boob this time round.:rolleyes:

RXBG
October 16th, 2007, 14:51
that is terrible. maybe it was an incomplete front. looks like some cheap aftermarket tuner is trying too hard instead of a class one audi job.

tazsura
October 16th, 2007, 14:51
I like it, adds a bit of agression and with the correct wheels will look v.good.

Always very hard to mess with an organic shape like the TT's.

Taran :alig:

HKS786
October 16th, 2007, 16:24
I said the same thing to Hans the first time I seen it, but am hoping the design will grow on me.:rolleyes:

I have to agree, it's the first time an Audi design hasn't won me over at first sight and it's the first time a haven't fallen head over heels for a TT so have Audi made a boob this time round.:rolleyes:

OH NOOOOO

I just seen it in grey over at Leftlanenews. It didnt look good but this red one is obviusly a brighter colour and you can see how bad it is :noshake:

The bottom of the bumper looks SO incomplete! This is really annoying me now, I just hope it looks better in real life!

I know you said you wouldnt give us pics, but thanks Hans, that chop really nailed it:

http://www.audiforum.nl/phpBB2/files/audi-tts_882.jpg

Iceman
October 16th, 2007, 16:25
The red one is not the same car i have seen, the one i have seen was completely finished with all the S gadgets.

Hans.

RXBG
October 16th, 2007, 16:32
so it is going to carry a 5 cyl turbo or a HO 2.0 TFSI?

AU-297
October 16th, 2007, 17:07
It hides the hideous nose!
http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/september2007/audi-tts-2.jpg

HKS786
October 16th, 2007, 19:04
The red one is not the same car i have seen, the one i have seen was completely finished with all the S gadgets.

Hans.

Yeah I know. But you gave away the front bumper design, that's the main thing ;) Bro can I ask, does it look a lot better than these spyshots? I'm really unconvinced ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Iceman
October 16th, 2007, 19:29
Yeah I know. But you gave away the front bumper design, that's the main thing ;) Bro can I ask, does it look a lot better than these spyshots? I'm really unconvinced ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I think it's looking awesome IRL.
I leave details out off my photoshop and only show the main design.
But IRL the front look very agressive.
Much better then the S-Line, and i realy like that.

Hans.

ültje1
October 16th, 2007, 19:39
hey hans,

when will it be released ? :ttaddict: Tokio Motorshow????????????

Iceman
October 16th, 2007, 19:52
hey hans,

when will it be released ? :ttaddict: Tokio Motorshow????????????
According to my info it will.

Hans.

btw, your signature need editing, no more pictrures aloud in it.

Leadfoot
October 16th, 2007, 19:58
I found the statement in WCF that said there would be a TT/RS with a 3.6 Bi-turbo, I sincerely hope it's an all alloy engine because anyhting other than that would dull the handling in my opinion.

HKS786
October 17th, 2007, 09:44
I think it's looking awesome IRL.
I leave details out off my photoshop and only show the main design.
But IRL the front look very agressive.
Much better then the S-Line, and i realy like that.

Hans.

Sorry I didnt know it was YOUR chop! I was wondering why the front was so accurate :doh:

Leadfoot
October 17th, 2007, 15:36
It hides the hideous nose!
http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/september2007/audi-tts-2.jpg
Is it just me or does this TT look to have been red and has been resprayed badly.

Iceman
October 17th, 2007, 15:44
Is it just me or does this TT look to have been red and has been resprayed badly.
No that TTS Roadster is orange and is taped over in black.

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 17th, 2007, 15:57
I want to see it in silver or a light metallic grey as red is doing it not favours at all.

Iceman
October 17th, 2007, 16:16
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/images/article_images/AudiTT-S_1_560.jpg

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/images/article_images/AudiTT-S_2_560.jpg

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/images/article_images/AudiTT-S_3_560.jpg

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/images/article_images/AudiTT-S_4_560.jpg

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/images/article_images/AudiTT-S_5_560.jpg

Source : Carmagazine.co.uk (http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/secret_new_car.php?sid=1151&page=1)

Hans.

tazsura
October 17th, 2007, 16:18
I'm loving it more and more.:love:

Well done Audi!

Taz :bow:

Toto89
October 17th, 2007, 19:57
It has 4 exhaust pipes, so it close off the chance of a 2.0TFSI in my opinion. A 4 cylinder engine will never get 4 pipes.

ZeroCool
October 17th, 2007, 20:02
@Toto89...

Why not? If they stay behind their "line" that every S-Audi has 4 exhaust pipes, so they don't care if it is a 4 cylinder engine or a 6 or 8..

But i'm just talking...i really don't know it...

Iceman
October 17th, 2007, 20:23
I still think a 300< hp 2.0TFSI 4 cylinder is not the way to go IMHO for a TT "S" model.
The 2.0TFSI is OK for a TT QS or a 2.0TFSI Quattro but a "S" must have at lease 5 or 6 cylinders.
It's just the way prestice work, and a 4 cylinder bring no prestice to a top of the line TT.

Hans.

ZeroCool
October 17th, 2007, 20:51
@Hans...

I'm with you...but what's with the S3? It's at the moment also top of the line A3 ... and has a 4 Cylinder...

But i'm sure that there will be a 5 Cylinder engine...with more than 300hp ... and i hope that they put this engine also in an RS3 ...

Iceman
October 17th, 2007, 21:13
@Hans...

I'm with you...but what's with the S3? It's at the moment also top of the line A3 ... and has a 4 Cylinder...

But i'm sure that there will be a 5 Cylinder engine...with more than 300hp ... and i hope that they put this engine also in an RS3 ...

Yes the S3 have a 4 cylinder but compare it with the BMW 1 serie with 300+ hp inline 6 engine and you know the beemer is the more presticious one of the two.
I would even choose a A3 3.2 Quattro over a S3 24/7 if i was in the market for a Audi 3 serie.
The best hypothetical option is to buy a TTS and put in the engine of the Passat R36 your self.

Hans.

f1esp
October 17th, 2007, 21:13
http://images.worldcarfans.com/articles/2007/10/16/9071016.013/9071016.013.Mini4L.jpg

I :nono: like new nose

Damienr8
October 17th, 2007, 21:30
I still think a 300< hp 2.0TFSI 4 cylinder is not the way to go IMHO for a TT "S" model.
The 2.0TFSI is OK for a TT QS or a 2.0TFSI Quattro but a "S" must have at lease 5 or 6 cylinders.
It's just the way prestice work, and a 4 cylinder bring no prestice to a top of the line TT.

Hans.

Im dreaming of a 2.5L 5cl TFSI VL with about 300hp/280lb-ft

ZeroCool
October 17th, 2007, 21:45
Yes the S3 have a 4 cylinder but compare it with the BMW 1 serie with 300+ hp inline 6 engine and you know the beemer is the more presticious one of the two.
I would even choose a A3 3.2 Quattro over a S3 24/7 if i was in the market for a Audi 3 serie.
The best hypothetical option is to buy a TTS and put in the engine of the Passat R36 your self.

Hans.

Ok, that's an option (with the R36 from the passat) ...

But i'm sure that there is a 5 Cylinder in the TT and maybe in the A3 :)

Iceman
October 17th, 2007, 22:24
Ok, that's an option (with the R36 from the passat) ...

But i'm sure that there is a 5 Cylinder in the TT and maybe in the A3 :)
I know, i have connections. ;)

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 17th, 2007, 22:30
I can't believe that after developing a 2.5L 5cylinder TFSi engine that they won't be using it in something that has an Audi badge. So I reckon we will see it soon.

RussianM3_dude
October 18th, 2007, 10:08
I'd say a Z4 coupe will be a much better car. Cheaper and with a better engine, so unless you need Quattro... I would go with a BM. Also, the price of the TT-S will be creeping up on the Z4M, which is a vastly better car.

Leadfoot
October 18th, 2007, 11:37
I'd say a Z4 coupe will be a much better car. Cheaper and with a better engine, so unless you need Quattro... I would go with a BM. Also, the price of the TT-S will be creeping up on the Z4M, which is a vastly better car.

You know what you just said made a lot of sense.

:harass: NOT.

Sanjuro
October 18th, 2007, 14:41
I like the TT2 - not knowing anything really about the TT-S apart from what I do know, that it would be based in a well made aluminuim lightened body with some other good features it's hard to say how it will be.

RussianM3_dude
October 18th, 2007, 15:37
How much more expensive will it be then the 3.2 with the S-Line kit???

Leadfoot
October 18th, 2007, 23:35
How much more expensive will it be then the 3.2 with the S-Line kit???

Early reports from dealers suggested that the TT/S would be closer to £33K which would still place it £8K cheaper than the Z4MCoupe and if it was to receive a 295hp and 280ft/lbs 2.0TFSi engine then I doubt the performance would be that far from the Z4MCoupe if anything and on give and take roads I reckon the TT/S would leave it for dead.

Out of all the BMWs currently in production the Z4MCoupe is quite possibly the worst example for the road, on the track it makes more sense but it's to nervous on rough road surfaces for anything other an a brisk pace.

RussianM3_dude
October 19th, 2007, 21:30
Man, I like this Z4M more and more. By the way, how much is a 3.2 TT in Britain???

Leadfoot
October 19th, 2007, 22:32
Man, I like this Z4M more and more. By the way, how much is a 3.2 TT in Britain???

Roughly £30K for the TT 3.2Quattro.

I reckon you will like the Z4M Coupe as it is a hairy ride to say the least, especially when you are going for it. I reckon there is one going cheap as my brother-in-law got his roughly five months ago and hate the bloody thing. He only drives it at the weekend and hardly ever goes above 60mph unless on a straight piece of road which isn't bumpy.

Oh and by the way, he owns a E46 M3 and rates it light-years ahead as an everyday car. I told him about the new M3 and I reckon his kicking myself for not waiting. :hihi:

RussianM3_dude
October 19th, 2007, 23:10
Well, we don't really have problems with roads in Swirzerland, they are very smooth.

HKS786
October 20th, 2007, 01:42

Oh I do like the Z4M, however, it's not that much set apart from the Z4. At the dealership near me, there's a Z4M and Z4 next to eachother. The front bumpers have the same ground clearance except being different in designs. Also, I prefered the M Wheels on the Z4 than the M ones on the Z4 M!!! I just wish the Z4 M was a little more extreme...

Leadfoot
October 20th, 2007, 08:15
From first hand experience the standard Z4 3.0M/Sport is a much better driving car than the Z4M, why this is I have no idea as the because the standard car runs on run-flat tyres and has electronic power steering, both things which hamper the feel of the car. The problem I see it, is the Z4M has fallen into the TVR trap of poor suspension balance between the front and rear.

Iceman
October 20th, 2007, 09:11
Can you stay on topic, TTS that is.
If you want talk BMW go some where else.

Hans.

Iceman
October 20th, 2007, 10:20
There is still no official press info on the TTS but there are a few things that need mentioning.
It look like the TTS logo will look like, a small T a big T and a small red S.
Also the TTS will have a sound pipe like the TT 3.2 Quattro have.
There is still no official confirmed tech info on the TTS engine or the TT 2.0 TFSI Quattro for that matter.
Another thing is will the TTS have Haldex3 like the Saab turboX.
We will have answers when Audi release the TTS press info.

Hans.

ültje1
October 20th, 2007, 11:29
We will have answers when Audi release the TTS press info.

Hans.

and when will that be? next week in Tokio????

Iceman
October 20th, 2007, 11:55
and when will that be? next week in Tokio????
Depends on the typology of the TT with S3 engine, TTS or TT 2.0TFSI Quattro.
I think there will be TT news on the Tokio Motorshow but wether TTS or TT 2.0TFSI Quattro is still not clear.
Audi first need to clear-up the name for the S3 engined TT to get any further in this.
If it will be TT 2.0TFSI Quattro the TTS will have a different engine under the bonnet.
I'm still hoping for the most logical one, the 300+ hp 3.6 VR6 FSI.
There are more and more no go stories about a 2.5 inline five engine transverse in the TT body, it's apparently to long to combinated with the Quattro/4Motion gearbox.
With FWD it's not a problem because they can move it to the left to get it in.
How much future a 2.3 VR5 TFSI engine have is still to be dretermine in due time.

Hans

Leadfoot
October 20th, 2007, 12:27
It's may be just me but I will be surprised if the TTS will not have a 2.0TFSi engine, mainly because in the past the top TT and S3 has basically shared the same hardware. It's possible that this time round the two cars are walking a different path and Audi has decided to position the TT above the A3 in terms of technology as well as status.

I still have and will always have a problem with a big heavy iron block VR6 engine heading the top TT car. Engine noise does and should play an important role in any sportscar but it should never be put ahead of balance/nimbleness and handling, these are the holy grail of any sportscar. I have driven both forms of the TT including both the A3 3.2Quattro and the S3 and I can tell you without any doubt that the smaller engined cars of both are the more enjoyable to steer and drive.

So again I am hoping for an outcome that pleases both parties, to provide the engine note and provide the handling worthy of a true sportscar. In other words we need the V5TFSi engine. PLEASE. :burnout:

Iceman
October 20th, 2007, 12:56
If Audi put in a R4 2.0 litre or VR5 2.3 litre engine i hope it will be TSI as in Twincharger.
A compressor for low to middle power delivery and a big turbo for top power.
300+ hp is not a problem to get a smooth ride all the way.

Hans.

RussianM3_dude
October 20th, 2007, 13:42
Maybe it will be a TT Quattro sport. No rear seats, CF roof and S3 engine???

Iceman
October 20th, 2007, 13:51
Maybe it will be a TT Quattro sport. No rear seats, CF roof and S3 engine???
That would be the best solution, a lightway TT with S3 engine, Recaro's seats pole position, no rear seats but a cargo net, S-line body kit Carbon Fibre, R8 Ceramic brakes, Fixed Carbon fibre rear wing.
It would kick some ass like that.

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 20th, 2007, 14:25
That would be the best solution, a lightway TT with S3 engine, Recaro's seats pole position, no rear seats but a cargo net, S-line body kit Carbon Fibre, R8 Ceramic brakes, Fixed Carbon fibre rear wing.
It would kick some ass like that.

Hans.

That would be the ideal mini R8, but you would still have that engine note which you don't like.

Why not take a leaf out of BMW's book and fit plastic front wings, this and a CF roof plus the smaller, lighter engine and of course the Haldex3, though I thought there was already a Haldex4 out now, this would make a fun little car.

But as the roof is already aluminium how does the fixings together of it and CF work, are they easily worked with together?

Iceman
October 20th, 2007, 14:35
That would be the ideal mini R8, but you would still have that engine note which you don't like.

Why not take a leaf out of BMW's book and fit plastic front wings, this and a CF roof plus the smaller, lighter engine and of course the Haldex3, though I thought there was already a Haldex4 out now, this would make a fun little car.

But as the roof is already aluminium how does the fixings together of it and CF work, are they easily worked with together?
It's called Haldex XWD i'm not sure if it's Haldex 3 or 4.

You can glue Carbon Fibre on to the aluminium body shell.

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 21st, 2007, 09:33
It's called Haldex XWD i'm not sure if it's Haldex 3 or 4.

Hans.

I checked it out of their (Haldex) website, it looks to be very impressive. It seems to product a very natural driving style, though I hope you still can 4 wheel drift with it. :looking:

Engine wise I reckon you are correct, this new 2.0TFSi looks to be the one most likely chosen. Do we know anything about it's character, whether it's sound is better than the S3 engine and if it's torque and turbo lag is better than the S3 also.

Iceman
October 21st, 2007, 10:02
The new 2.0TFSI is a flywheel side chain driven engine.
I don't think it will sound different due to the change from belt to chain.
But a quat exhaust can gif it a different sound then the S3, beside that the question is will it be a valve exhaust or a non valve exhaust.
What ever Audi do is still will sound like a 4-pod, a exhaust can't change that.
The torque and turbo lag will not change for the better if Audi give it more power.
They can only change the torque and turbo lag for the better by making it a TSI Twincharger.
In that case they can even put on an bigger turbo to get 300+ hp out of it because the compressor will take care of the turbo lag by lower refs.
But like i sait before, i like the new TT very much but not the engine line-up include this new HP 2.0TFSI.
Also a VW 2.3 VR5 TFSI will no do it for me, it will not come close to a Audi inline five.
Therefore the chance that i ever buy a new TT is very small.

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 21st, 2007, 12:18
Well Hans, if not a TT then what?

Will you go for a new RS4 or possibly a RS5 or are you still hold out for the hope that Audi will produces a TT with a normal Quattro set-up and the in-line5TFSi and call it a RS.

Iceman
October 21st, 2007, 13:11
Well Hans, if not a TT then what?

Will you go for a new RS4 or possibly a RS5 or are you still hold out for the hope that Audi will produces a TT with a normal Quattro set-up and the in-line5TFSi and call it a RS.
i have no idea at the moment, there are not that many Audi's i like for one or more reasons and they will be parked on the open road.
I like the 5.2/5.0 V10 FSI/TFSI engine's but not the cars they are in.
And i like the R8 4.2 V8 FSI 6 speed manual but it will cost me in the Netherlands ± 196.000,- Euro the way i like it.
But i still hope Audi will produce a TT with a desent engine like a inline 5 TFSI, 3.6 VR6 FSI or a longitudinal Audi V6 Bi-turbo.
Other wise i will wait for the A1, it's a small and more suitable car for the big city where i life.

Hans.

Iceman
October 21st, 2007, 17:54
Audi always put clue's in there licence plate's.
If you take a look @ the licence plate of the orange roadster that is covered in black folie, it say V6 07.
In that case if the licence plate is anything like Audi usualy do this TT Roadster have a V6 under the bonnet and get introduced this year.

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 21st, 2007, 19:56
Audi always put clue's in there licence plate's.
If you take a look @ the licence plate of the orange roadster that is covered in black folie, it say V6 07.
In that case if the licence plate is anything like Audi usualy do this TT Roadster have a V6 under the bonnet and get introduced this year.

Hans.

Hans,

You know rightly what under the bonnet of these TTs.;)

audi713
October 21st, 2007, 22:30
i like it alot! I wouldnt buy it I like larger coups but very nice looking

SigmaS6
October 21st, 2007, 22:32
Also the TTS will have a sound pipe like the TT 3.2 Quattro have.
So that the buyer never forgets he paid all that money for just a 4pot? :D

Iceman
October 22nd, 2007, 04:58
Why does the 3.2L V6 sound so good? --- It's got a sound pipe in the engine compartment!

So I'm reading through the Audi service training guides and I come across this interesting piece on the Soundpipe installed in 3.2L TT's.
I wasn't aware that Audi was doing this, but it is sure an interesting idea. I wonder if this could be retrofitted to the 2.0T? Anyway, here is the text.

Off the intake is a secondary "sound pipe" that is used to "accentuate the engine's dynamism and sportiness."

From the guide:
The intake sound is transmitted to the vehicle body through a connecting line from the intake manifold to the plenum chamber and through a resonator.
The soundpipe produces a sporty sound in the vehicle interior without impairing comfort. Pressure pulsations are amplified by the gas exchange cycle through the soundpipe without exceeding exterior noise limits.

Function:
The soundpipe is connected between the airflow mass meter and the throttle valve unit in the air intake tract.
The soundpipe is made up of three parts: the primary pipe, which is connected to the air intake tract, the sound generator, and the secondary pipe, which is connected to the vehicle interior through the engine bulkhead.

The primary and secondary pipes as well as the sound generator are configured in such a way that it is possible to influence the "bandpass characteristic," and therefore the acoustic transmission range.
A bandpass characteristic is produced, for example, by connecting the highpass and lowpass filters in series.

Only a defined range of frequencies is allowed to pass, depending on the circuit configuration.
The sound generator is the key component.
This system is designed so that sound becomes meatier when the driver demands more power from the engine.

The pressure pulsations occurring during the gas exchange cycle are transmitted to the membranes in the sound generator, where they are amplified by the sound generator and relayed to the vehicle interior. Another task of the membranes is to seal the gas flow between the air intake tract and the vehicle interior.
The foam core in the sound generator maintains the shape and position of the membranes.

Hans.

HKS786
October 22nd, 2007, 08:22
Spied in black:

http://www.ewanskelly.net/galleries/photos_scoops/scoops/audi/Audi_TT_RS_20_10_07.jpg

RussianM3_dude
October 22nd, 2007, 08:35
Why does the 3.2L V6 sound so good? --- It's got a sound pipe in the engine compartment!

So I'm reading through the Audi service training guides and I come across this interesting piece on the Soundpipe installed in 3.2L TT's.
I wasn't aware that Audi was doing this, but it is sure an interesting idea. I wonder if this could be retrofitted to the 2.0T? Anyway, here is the text.

Off the intake is a secondary "sound pipe" that is used to "accentuate the engine's dynamism and sportiness."

From the guide:
The intake sound is transmitted to the vehicle body through a connecting line from the intake manifold to the plenum chamber and through a resonator.
The soundpipe produces a sporty sound in the vehicle interior without impairing comfort. Pressure pulsations are amplified by the gas exchange cycle through the soundpipe without exceeding exterior noise limits.

Function:
The soundpipe is connected between the airflow mass meter and the throttle valve unit in the air intake tract.
The soundpipe is made up of three parts: the primary pipe, which is connected to the air intake tract, the sound generator, and the secondary pipe, which is connected to the vehicle interior through the engine bulkhead.

The primary and secondary pipes as well as the sound generator are configured in such a way that it is possible to influence the "bandpass characteristic," and therefore the acoustic transmission range.
A bandpass characteristic is produced, for example, by connecting the highpass and lowpass filters in series.

Only a defined range of frequencies is allowed to pass, depending on the circuit configuration.
The sound generator is the key component.
This system is designed so that sound becomes meatier when the driver demands more power from the engine.

The pressure pulsations occurring during the gas exchange cycle are transmitted to the membranes in the sound generator, where they are amplified by the sound generator and relayed to the vehicle interior. Another task of the membranes is to seal the gas flow between the air intake tract and the vehicle interior.
The foam core in the sound generator maintains the shape and position of the membranes.

Hans.

Z4 has it too.

RXBG
October 22nd, 2007, 13:41
the more i think about it the more it seems it'll have a V6, but a bigger one than the one in the 3.2.

they could have turboed the 3.2 to make it the TT-S engine, but i doubt it. i "feel" the twin exhausts go better with a V6 than with a souped up 2.0.

tokyo is this week. so what gives?

Leadfoot
October 22nd, 2007, 13:43
Not to get off track again, sorry Hans. But if the Z4 has them then why does it not sound much as anything different than the 1/3/5/6/7 series etc, do all of them have the same thing?

Back on topic, HKS786,

I like the car riding shootgun with the TT/S, I wonder how the two cars performance will differ.

HKS786
October 22nd, 2007, 15:59
Me too. It's good to see them both together ;)

Iceman
October 22nd, 2007, 16:06
A sound pipe is only for a better sound experience inside the car, not outside sound.

btw, i have always sait that the TTS will be a 300 hp 3.6 VR6 FSI, but confusion about the name for the faster TT's is to blame for the confusion about it.
TT 2.0TFSI Quattro, TT 2.0 TFSI Quattro sport, TT-S, TT-RS, TT 3.6 FSI Quattro.
Take your pic. :vhmmm:

Hans.

RXBG
October 22nd, 2007, 16:32
3.6 means more torque. not necessarily more weight. so if this is what happens with the TT-S and my left testicle tells me so, then, that will kick butt.

i would hope that this 3.6 would replace the 3.2 in the A6 right now b/c i want my wife to get either an updated A6 or a TDI Q7 at the end of next CY.

Leadfoot
October 22nd, 2007, 19:17
I just hope the QuattroGmbH has got involved with the development of the TT/S or what ever it's called because the miracle work they did with the RS4 compared to that of the S4 would be even more amazing on the TT as it already is a better driving car than the S4.

I reckon Hans does know the possible engine choice but has to keep quiet.

SigmaS6
October 22nd, 2007, 19:23
I just hope the QuattroGmbH has got involved with the development of the TT/S or what ever it's called because the miracle work they did with the RS4 compared to that of the S4 would be even more amazing on the TT as it already is a better driving car than the S4.
I also think they have higher standards than Audi, i.e. they wont put their RS badge on any model as Audi does with the S-badge. I hope that S vs. RS is still the differentiation between a sporty model and an enthusiast model. At least I like to cling to that thought :)

Leadfoot
October 22nd, 2007, 19:50
I also think they have higher standards than Audi, i.e. they wont put their RS badge on any model as Audi does with the S-badge. I hope that S vs. RS is still the differentiation between a sporty model and an enthusiast model. At least I like to cling to that thought :)

That statement isn't 100% correct, they have developed the R8 which isn't a RS model and the same goes for the Q7 v12TDi, so clearly they are getting involved with other projects only they don't put their badge on them. ;)

SigmaS6
October 22nd, 2007, 19:53
But whatever they've done so far I wouldn't have a problem driving around with it. Let's hope they keep up those stats :)

Leadfoot
October 22nd, 2007, 20:18
But whatever they've done so far I wouldn't have a problem driving around with it. Let's hope they keep up those stats :)

Agreed, they has made some wonderful machines regardless if only their most recent efforts have meet with the approval from the motoring press. I loved the original RS4 even if the new one could walk rings around it on the track, it gutsy engine made it a enjoy on the open road where it was clearly destined to be.

But the best indicator of QuattroGmbH's abilities has to lay with the R8, they have approved without a shadow of doubt that they can improve on what Lamborghini can do and for that matter the rest of the supercar club.

ültje1
October 22nd, 2007, 20:54
the important question is.. will we see the tt s this week in Tokio or not?

Iceman
October 23rd, 2007, 20:00
http://www.autovandaag.nl/upl/auditts1_3967.jpg
http://www.autovandaag.nl/upl/auditts2_3969.jpg
http://www.autovandaag.nl/upl/auditts3_3970.jpg

Hans.

RXBG
October 23rd, 2007, 20:13
i doubt we are going to see it in tokyo. probably at the next auto show- not sure which one it is- nov or dec- LA or NY or something. audi's style is to drop info 2-3 days pre show. too late for that.

ültje1
October 23rd, 2007, 20:35
look what i found !!!

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/9148/5e704a90fdc62413sh5nb1.jpg

RXBG
October 23rd, 2007, 20:38
hey yo dude! what are you holding out on?????????????????

more more!!!!!!!!!

RussianM3_dude
October 23rd, 2007, 21:15
I think Audi can make a very interesting car with the hot TT. It's pretty light and I bet it's possible to lose even more weight, and make it into a mini RS4... but nah... Audi wouldn't do it.

AU-297
October 23rd, 2007, 21:50
look what i found !!!

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/9148/5e704a90fdc62413sh5nb1.jpg

EDIT: Hans is right this is the Clubsport Headlamp

Iceman
October 23rd, 2007, 22:01
It's a user modified headlamp. It's not from Audi. Someone posted it on the UK TT Forum.
It's the headlight of the TT Clubsport Quattro concept. ;)

Hans.

RXBG
October 23rd, 2007, 23:17
that's what my rational mind had concluded also. i was hoping for something more....

AU-297
October 24th, 2007, 04:29
Sadly it doesn't look like it's going to make the Tokyo Show.

Iceman
October 24th, 2007, 04:45
Sadly it doesn't look like it's going to make the Tokyo Show.
I know, but sadly i can't tell where it will be introduced even that i want to.

Auto motor und sport.

http://images.auto-motor-und-sport.de/hps/img/hxmedia/mpsams/2007/10/0dmeZRT4Z0HINY_140x.jpg

Hans.

AU-297
October 24th, 2007, 05:31
I know it will not be on Tokio, but sadly i can't tell where it will be introduced even that i want to tell it.

Hans.

Last I heard was Detroit.

Sanjuro
October 24th, 2007, 08:49
Definitely not at Tokyo. Only the Metroconcept quattro

RussianM3_dude
October 24th, 2007, 12:54
The Metrosexualquattro???

RXBG
October 24th, 2007, 14:22
The Metrosexualquattro???

yes, as in mini, 3-series coupe, and Z4.

RussianM3_dude
October 24th, 2007, 14:33
Those cars are more serious driving tools then the equivalent Audis, that elevate style over substance. Now THAT is metrosexual.

Iceman
October 24th, 2007, 15:47
Last I heard was Detroit.
If Detroit is the place for the Audi TTS introduction i can asure you it will not have a 2.0 litre engine. :hahahehe:
The Audi S3 will also not go state side with his high performance 2.0 TFSI engine.
Because why will Audi introduce a high performance 2.0TFSI TT in detroit whey most US states not have a suitable fuel for it. ;)

Hans.

RXBG
October 24th, 2007, 20:31
come on people. i don't think anyone here knows for sure where this car will debut. could be anything from NAIAS to NYC to LA, but no later than geneve.

RXBG
October 25th, 2007, 14:08
so the next motor show is LA next month. something tells me audi will put something interesting there. maybe the TT-S.

tokyo sucked.

Iceman
October 27th, 2007, 21:12
New pic.

http://www.audiforum.nl/phpBB2/files/tts_208.jpg

Hans.

chewym
October 27th, 2007, 21:48
Also a VW 2.3 VR5 TFSI

Hans.

does this engine exhists, it makes no sense to me

Iceman
October 27th, 2007, 22:10
does this engine exhists, it makes no sense to me
In the past there was a 2.3 VR5 4v engine with 170 hp, but not anymore.
A rumour say that Audi reanimate the 2.3 VR5 4v engine and give it TFSI technology.
The power output will be 308 hp according to the rumour. :vhmmm:
I have no idea if there is any true in it or not.

Hans.

chewym
October 28th, 2007, 06:10
I am not sure how much you can do with an old engine. Doesn't sound to me like something that Audi should do.

Iceman
October 28th, 2007, 06:31
The basic engine exist and is most part developed.
Give the engine a big overhaul, develop a new FSI cylinder head for it put on a K04 S3 turbo and you have a up to date 2.3 VR5 TFSI engine with ±308 hp.
And the VR5 engine is as compact and weigh not that much more then a inline 4.
But in big lines the same go's up for a inline five, only a inline five is longer then a VR6.

Hans.

Iceman
October 28th, 2007, 11:32
New TTS photoshop.

http://www.audiforum.nl/phpBB2/files/audi-tts_815.jpg

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 28th, 2007, 12:49
I don't think this latest design of Audi's is a move in the right direction. The S-Line and the normal nose look way better, it's new look doesn't gel with the rest, it's similar in this to the IS-F.

RussianM3_dude
October 28th, 2007, 13:24
So ugly. Did Audi swap da Silva for Bangle and forgot to send everybody the memo?

HKS786
October 28th, 2007, 14:33
I don't think this latest design of Audi's is a move in the right direction. The S-Line and the normal nose look way better, it's new look doesn't gel with the rest, it's similar in this to the IS-F.

The amount of plastic used compared to metal worries me. It's a mess.

RXBG
October 29th, 2007, 01:54
The amount of plastic used compared to metal worries me. It's a mess.

2nd- 10th.........................

i usually leave a little faith for the "in person" appearance, but this was shocking to me also. truly. too much palstic. too much droop. it looks nasty to me. i hope it's passable in person.

Audiphile
October 29th, 2007, 01:59
Those cars are more serious driving tools then the equivalent Audis, that elevate style over substance. Now THAT is metrosexual.

Why do you come to this site to put down people? Just leave already!

RussianM3_dude
October 29th, 2007, 08:36
Oh, sorry, I didn't know you were on the design team. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings there buddy, here's a kleenex.

RXBG
October 29th, 2007, 13:00
Oh, sorry, I didn't know you were on the design team. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings there buddy, here's a kleenex.

i don't think anyone could ever insult a member of the audi design team and be taken seriously (perhaps with the exception of the upcoming TT-S). bmw on the other hand.....

"style over substance"-

audi epitomizes modern car design. that is style. and that is also a big part of substance. the remainder is how the car goes. though bmw makes cars that go well so does audi.

in fact, both marques appeal to metrosexuals. very much so.

nothing wrong with that, of course. homo, bi, hetero, metro, tri.... it's all the same.

Iceman
October 29th, 2007, 15:22
Two big pics via Autoblog.nl

http://www.autoblog.nl/images/wp2007/big/AUDI%20TTS%20proto1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.nl/images/wp2007/big/AUDI%20TTS%20proto2.jpg

Hans.

RussianM3_dude
October 29th, 2007, 15:23
The worst right now is Alfa Romeo "Belezza non Basta" Beauty is not Enough. How ironic coming from them.

HKS786
October 29th, 2007, 15:53
I brightened the first pic up....yep it's still bad :doh::cry:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/J78628/AUDI20TTS20proto11.jpg

Iceman
October 29th, 2007, 16:08
You can allways swap it for a S-line front bumper if you buy the car.
This car have the "S Grill" but with out the double chrome bars on it.
And TBH it look not good on this picture, IRL it's looking better.

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 29th, 2007, 16:18
What the bumper needs is a lift in the middle closing the gap between the grill and then adding the metal fin to bridge the two outer bits.

IMO this would add aggression to the nose and make it less flabby.

tazsura
October 29th, 2007, 16:20
I still love it. With a decent set of wheels, it will be v.nice!

The front reminds me of a Touring car front splitter!

Taz :jlol:

RXBG
October 29th, 2007, 18:38

Hans.

that might depend. there may be method to the madness of the increased openings. perhaps it's a turbo. and perhaps the s-line bumper won't allow enough cooling.

RXBG
October 29th, 2007, 18:40
The worst right now is Alfa Romeo "Belezza non Basta" Beauty is not Enough. How ironic coming from them.

i agree. i'm not that familiar with alphas since i live in the states, but from what i know the only exception would be the competizione. it is ironic.

HKS786
October 29th, 2007, 19:00
i agree. i'm not that familiar with alphas since i live in the states, but from what i know the only exception would be the competizione. it is ironic.

Also, I heard they are switching to RWD:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/future-alfa-romeo-models-to-switch-to-rear-wheel-drive.html

HKS786
October 29th, 2007, 19:03
What the bumper needs is a lift in the middle closing the gap between the grill and then adding the metal fin to bridge the two outer bits.

IMO this would add aggression to the nose and make it less flabby.

I agree. It would also fit with Audi's design language and remove the floating grille (ugly IMO). The lower part of the bumper would be less horizontal, at the moment it looks like a lip spoiler and not part of the bumper. It's hard to explain but its UGLY, I'll try make some revisions...

Iceman
October 29th, 2007, 19:03
Also, I heard they are switching to RWD:
No Alfa Romeo is switching back to there roots and that is RWD.

Hans.

HKS786
October 29th, 2007, 19:04

Hans.

True. The real life factor is very important. Of course my opinions are saying the car is ugly so far, but I will leave final judgement till I see it in the flesh. Official pics and real-life shots will also be helpful...

Iceman
October 29th, 2007, 19:11
http://www.automotorsport.se/bigpix/2007/AudiTTS_fram_big.jpg
http://www.automotorsport.se/bigpix/2007/AudiTTS_bak_big.jpg
http://automotorsport.se/bigpix/2007/audi_tts_illus_big.jpg

Hans.

HKS786
October 29th, 2007, 19:42
Here's a rough p/s. I just copied/pasted. The right side is TT-S and the left is TT S-line. The TT-S should have been more like that IMO. Still a lot of plastic, but much better IMO.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/J78628/Audi-TT_Coupe_S-line_2007_800x600_w.jpg

Leadfoot
October 29th, 2007, 20:46
HKS786,

That is exactly what I was looking for. :applause:

RXBG
October 29th, 2007, 21:48
tell you what guys. would you forgive the nasty TT-S grille if it was a V6 TT with 320 hp?

Leadfoot
October 29th, 2007, 22:08
tell you what guys. would you forgive the nasty TT-S grille if it was a V6 TT with 320 hp?

The grille would been the last thing I would be thinking about if that was the case. In fact it could even come solely in pink and I would still want one. :blush:

HKS786
October 29th, 2007, 22:22
HKS786,

That is exactly what I was looking for. :applause:

no probs. I tend to find myself agreeing with you most of the time regarding styling. You have good taste ;)

HKS786
October 29th, 2007, 22:26

Yep. I'd get it in black to hide the grille, but apart from that I would still be pleased with it ;)

Iceman
October 29th, 2007, 22:28
If the suppossed TT RS mule can run with the S-Line front bumper why not the TTS.
i don't care what engine or power output will be under the bonnet.
If i don't like the front i will change it.

Hans.

HKS786
October 29th, 2007, 23:10
If the suppossed TT RS mule can run with the S-Line front bumper why not the TTS.
i don't care what engine or power output will be under the bonnet.
If i don't like the front i will change it.

Hans.

I finished that chop of what I would have liked. I just pasted the S3 grille and pasted parts of the bumper from spypics. Not really anything special, but just wanted to show that the TT-S did have potential. I dont know why they made a mess of the front.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/J78628/Audi-TT_Coupe_S-line_2007_800x60-1.jpg

Toto89
October 30th, 2007, 09:42
I'm not exactly sure if i really see it or just want to see it but watching one of the latest spy photos i noticed something:http://kepfeltoltes.hu/071030/AudiTTS_fram_big_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
Do you see the tiny vent in the grill? That looks like those vents on turbocharged Audis, while naturally aspirated models it is covered. It is the air intake of the additional cooler i think. I hope it means TTS gets VR6 TFSI engine, because 4 exhaust pipes aren't realistic for a 4 cylinder in my opinion.

Iceman
October 30th, 2007, 15:23
http://www.autowereld.com/imagesDB/640/71029983829_tt-.jpg
http://www.autowereld.com/imagesDB/640/710299840170_tt-.jpg
http://www.autowereld.com/imagesDB/640/71029984177_tt-.jpg
http://www.autowereld.com/imagesDB/640/710299843106_tt-.jpg
http://www.autowereld.com/imagesDB/640/71029984472_tt-.jpg

Hans.

RXBG
October 30th, 2007, 15:29
i still hate it. i honestly hate that front bumper. maybe it'll be meshed and look a bit better. i think it will be a TT V6. makes most sense for twin double exhausts. if so, with mods, this thing might accelerate close to the R8. and yes, this engine should replace the S5's.

from all these pics, looks like the coupe and vert will intro in tandem.

Leadfoot
October 30th, 2007, 15:56
Is it possible that these vents are not ducted to coolers but in fact ducted to help cool the brakes.

Only a thought. :brag:

Iceman
October 30th, 2007, 16:25
The 2.0TFSI engine of the S3 and probably the TTS to, have side mounted twin intercoolers.
The new front bumper is comparable with the vent design of RS6 bumper.

Hans.

AU-297
October 30th, 2007, 17:22
Just because it has vents doesn't mean a thing... The S-line has the same exact style of vents and for what?

AU-297
October 30th, 2007, 18:07
Quick PS:
http://images111.fotki.com/v733/photos/2/229737/3950788/auditts2copy-vi.jpg
Last I heard was that either the TT and/or TT RS will get the rings on the hood like the R8.

Iceman
October 30th, 2007, 18:32
Last I heard was that either the TT and/or TT RS will get the rings on the hood like the R8.
Not the TTS that is for sure, because the official photoshoot has already taken place and the car have the rings in the grill.

Hans.

HKS786
October 30th, 2007, 19:04
Not the TTS that is for sure, because the official photoshoot has already taken place and the car have the rings in the grill.

Hans.

my my...you've seen it all. Maybe I really should take your word when you say it looks better than spypics. What are the wheels like?

ültje1
October 30th, 2007, 19:18
please please please iceman tell us more!!!!!!! can´t wait to hear news about the car :jlol:

Iceman
October 30th, 2007, 20:00
my my...you've seen it all. Maybe I really should take your word when you say it looks better than spypics. What are the wheels like?

The car i have seen had the same wheels as the facelifted Audi S8.

http://mediaservice.audi.com/media/mmdb/50100/50838/2008/MRADCS6/ak_l_motiv.jpg?alt=http://ak4-de.audi.de/img/1pxt.gif

Hans.

chewym
October 30th, 2007, 20:13
Wait, so if there was an official Audi TT-S photoshoot? What was the engine inside that TT-S?

Iceman
October 30th, 2007, 20:42
Wait, so if there was an official Audi TT-S photoshoot? What was the engine inside that TT-S?
For me a know and for you all Question.
Sorry you have to wait for the official introduction for that.
I only can give you misderection at the moment, the info is still confidential.

Hans.

ültje1
October 30th, 2007, 21:06
is it for sure that we will see the car not in 2007??

Iceman
October 30th, 2007, 21:18
is it for sure that we will see the car not in 2007??
The Roadster most likely not, it will be lift over the holiday's to the new year.
The Coupe will be another story, it can be shown on the Essen Motorshow 2007 but that's not sure yet.

Hans.

RXBG
October 30th, 2007, 21:46
essen motorhow was the prediction for the gen 2 TT least year. but didn't happen. looks to me like it'll be in LA or NAIAS.

and why do people keep believeing there will be an RS TT?

can someone quote me please?

there won't be.

Iceman
October 30th, 2007, 22:02
What's in the name.
Audi can simple put a TT 3.6 FSI Quattro out on the street.

Hans.

RussianM3_dude
October 30th, 2007, 22:04
I think there will be no RS. Maximum, we will get the Quatro Sport or a TT"CSL".

Iceman
October 30th, 2007, 22:09
I think there will be no RS. Maximum, we will get the Quatro Sport or a TT"CSL".
Audi TT ClubSportLight. ;)

Hans.

RXBG
October 31st, 2007, 15:43
What's in the name.
Audi can simple put a TT 3.6 FSI Quattro out on the street.

Hans.

issue is not the engine. issue is the line-up. a 3.6 V6 named RS has a diff connotation than a regular TT.

what i am saying is that there may be some change to the TT engine lineup soon- for example.......

new base 2.0 TT with 230 hp,
uplevel 3.6 V6 with 300 hp

and then a TTS with a TT.

but there will not be a TT RS. in other words. the most powerful TT of this gen will be the one with the TT V6 motor.

lots of names are being thrown about- sport, quattro sport, club sport, clubsport quattro... but that just confuses things. and i don't think that will be the case.

i don't think we'd ever see a V8 powered TT. that engine is just too heavy for the chassis.

Leadfoot
October 31st, 2007, 15:48
I still think all we will see is a TT/S with a 2.0TFSi engine kicking out 270~275hp and the option of a performance pack boosting this to 300hp.

End of story.

Iceman
October 31st, 2007, 16:36
Yes i will, no more info.
I will fetch my cote.

Hans.

Leadfoot
October 31st, 2007, 16:48
Hans,

STOP FU#KING WITH OUR MINDS.

PLEASE.

RXBG
October 31st, 2007, 19:09
lol.

ültje1
November 13th, 2007, 11:42
here it is!!!!

http://www.tt-owners-club.net/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,42/?g2_itemId=27618

i like the LEDS :D

AndyBG
November 13th, 2007, 11:48
TT-S/RS roadster, looking great !

But we still don't know what's under bonnet... :(

RXBG
November 15th, 2007, 15:55
with HO 2.0T and quattro for EU only. and a TTS with a V6 300+ hp engine for the world. this latter is the one in all the pics with the nasty grille and dual exhausts. the former will likely sport an s-line package and have a regular front end.........

this after revisiting a post from a well informed source over on AW.

Leadfoot
November 15th, 2007, 16:15
with HO 2.0T and quattro for EU only. and a TTS with a V6 300+ hp engine for the world. this latter is the one in all the pics with the nasty grille and dual exhausts. the former will likely sport an s-line package and have a regular front end.........

this after revisiting a post from a well informed source over on AW.

There is very little info that has been posted about the TT/S that is true, personally I don't know what's true any more. The only thing I do know is that there will be a TT with a 5cylinder engine that will be connected to Quattro, think of it as a modern version of the original Audi Quattro, complete with it's 5cyl Turbo engine.

Time scale.......think late 2009. :thumb:

RXBG
November 15th, 2007, 16:37
There is very little info that has been posted about the TT/S that is true, personally I don't know what's true any more. The only thing I do know is that there will be a TT with a 5cylinder engine that will be connected to Quattro, think of it as a modern version of the original Audi Quattro, complete with it's 5cyl Turbo engine.

Time scale.......think late 2009. :thumb:

this is what was provided by said source.... this is a paraphrase and for each one of these possible forecasts not all of the engines would be made/offered at the same time.

1- 170+ 2.0 FT/Q, 200 2.0 FT/Q, 230 2.0 Q, 250 3.2 Q, 260+ 2.0 Q, 302 Q, 350 2.5 Q

2 - 170+ 2.0 FT, 200 2.0 FT, 230 2.0 Q, 250 3.2 Q, 260+ 2.0 Q, 302 Q

3 - 170+ 2.0 FT/(Q), 200 2.0 FT/Q, 230 2.0 Q, 250 3.2 Q, 302 Q

as such, it is possible that what may actually happen is an update of all the engines offered on the TT, with the original big two (the 2.0T 200hp and the V6 250 hp) actually being replaced with the 230 hp 2.0 and the updated V6 (updated 3.2 or new 3.6) making 300 hp. then, the so called "RS" with the 5 cyl turbo would actually be the TTS. in addition to all of this the 260 hp S3 engine TT would simply be a EU-only option in the form of a performance package but not a whole new model.

{pats self on back and walks away} :asian:

Leadfoot
November 16th, 2007, 16:54
I wonder will we be seeing a four car line up soon in the TT. It is common knowledge that the current 2.0TFSi engine is being dropped from all of the VW models and being replaced with the 2.0TSi engine. Is it possible that Audi will do the same, they currently have this engine in 1.8L size so could they replace the TT2.0 with a similar powered 1.8TSi in fwd form and reposition the 2.0TSi and add Quattro. If so them at what power output and would this effect the TT3.2.

You know something maybe RXBG is on to something.

Only the output might be wrong. the line up might look something like this.

TT1.8TSi(185hp)fwd - TT2.0TSi(230hp)Quattro - TT3.2FSi(265hp)Quattro - TT/S 3.6FSi(300hp)Quattro.

I know where does this leave the supposed 2.0TFSi(270hp)? Well the real answer is I don't know, we could either not see it at all or it can possibly replace the TT3.2FSi, either way this could still leave a v6 at the top of the range until the TT/RS model shows it's face.

RXBG
November 16th, 2007, 17:22
i'd venture-

the 1.8 with 185

the 2.0 with 230

the 3.0 TT V6 with 300

and later the TT-S I-5 turbo with 350 hp.

i think the current 3.2 with 265 is about to be dropped by audi. it is a good motor, but cannot offer much over the upcoming 230 2.0T. and accords and camrys and G37's and even the upcoming hyundai coupe are making close to 300 hp.

there is no way the TT can maintain the right image if the upper level offering is not given some more guts.

Leadfoot
November 16th, 2007, 18:16
RXBG,

Do you even get a 2.0TFSi TT in the States or are they all V6 models.

RXBG
November 16th, 2007, 18:33
we get a 2.0T FWD 200 hp. and the V6. no 2.0T quattro.

Leadfoot
November 16th, 2007, 18:50
I don't think we will see a TT/S with 350hp, especially as the S5 has 355hp and it the next coupe model up in the Audi line up which starts with the TT and finishes with the R8.

Gauging that the R8's base model has 420hp and the S5 has 355hp, one would expect the TT/S to have no more than 300hp at tops. If there is to be a 350hp model which there will be ;) , then it will be a RS model. If not by name at least by nature. :D

RXBG
November 19th, 2007, 13:50
update. AW is pretty much confirming a new V6 TT 330 hp engine with a 6-8 mpg improvement in fuel economy over the V8 to go into the new S4. expected to bow in new york in april.

i expect this engine will go into the S5, as well.

and- why not the TT-S? i expect it will go there too. not sure where that would leave the mysterious I5 engine......

AndyBG
November 19th, 2007, 15:55
Don't forget the difference in engine layout beetwen TT and A4/A5. I think that V6 biturbo don't have enough space to fit into TT, as you know, current TTs V6 is actually VR6 so idea of putting a ''real'' V6 under TTs bonnet seams impossible to me. Highly tuned 2.0 T or something all new like that roumered in line 5 turbo engine has more chances IMHO.

BTW I would LOVE to see :revs: in line 5 turbo once again in Audi !

Leadfoot
November 19th, 2007, 16:17
update. AW is pretty much confirming a new V6 TT 330 hp engine with a 6-8 mpg improvement in fuel economy over the V8 to go into the new S4. expected to bow in new york in april.

i expect this engine will go into the S5, as well.

and- why not the TT-S? i expect it will go there too. not sure where that would leave the mysterious I5 engine......

These are the figure I was told some months ago and if you are correct then nothing has changed, I was also told that the S5 and the S4 will not share the same engine/hp. Whether this means the S5 will get this engine but in a higher state of tune I don't know, I was told that Audi want to position the A5 above that of the A4 in terms of image and this could include different engine options, especially in the sportie models. Don't take this as gospel but I believe the RS4 will run a V6Bi-turbo and the RS5 with have a V8Bi-turbo. Will be interesting to see if I will be right on this.

What I was told about the high-powered TT (I won't call it TT/S or TT/RS) is that the TT Clubsport's wide body will be required to get the extra space for the inline5 engine to fit transversely. Again don't take this as gospel.