PDA

View Full Version : Solar Sunroof interior cooling question

snoopra
October 11th, 2007, 01:09
Guys and Gals, how can I test the solar sunroof function. When I park in direct sunlight, interior feels just as hot as my other cars and I never see or hear the fan running. I usually turn my A/C off before shutting the car off, can this be the problem? :rs6kiss:

DuckWingDuck
October 11th, 2007, 05:17
For me, whenever I turn off the ignition, the fans seem to turn on from the solar panel, but I'm not sure about an empirical test.

Sanjuro
October 11th, 2007, 05:22
I have never heard mine run either, but I realised this last week while I had my wifes non-sunroof allroad that my car is never that hot - despite going through a very hot summer here. It seems to work but as it's not airconditioned don't expect it to be super cool - just not ridiculously hot.

BLITZEN
October 11th, 2007, 06:59
With the engine off, I can hear and feel my fan blowing through the dashboard vents when parked in direct sunlight. It only circulates the air, keeping the interior from getting stuffy. It doesn't cool the air.

When combined with the sun shades, my friends have commented that my black interior isn't near as uncomfortable as theirs during the summer.

rubyblack
October 11th, 2007, 07:15
Works fine on mine, but ensure the rear passenger vents are open, apparently that is a pre requisite of the function to allow full recirculation....

Interestingly when I got my RS6 back in October 2006 I noticed that the car suffered from heavy condensation on the inside of the windscreen during cold mornings, my local Audi centre changed out a temperature sensor which on certain models had been under specced, there is a service bulletin on this subject somewhere, work was done under warranty and the condensation is no more....:thumb: Dave

r1nga
October 11th, 2007, 12:49
In bright sunshine my running fans are really obvious - the sound is loudest at the top of the bonnet bu the wipers. The interior vents in the middle of the dash blow cool air - there is a Peltier cooler plate in there that cools the air passing over it. Really makes a difference.

But it's not all rosie - my car also seems to steam up quite a bit (July 04 RS6+), so I might investigate the sensor fix under my still intact Audi Approved warranty.

Thanks,

Phil G
UK

Benman
October 12th, 2007, 20:48
Mine seems to work best with the windows ever so slightly cracked. Sunroof must be closed though or else it won't go on (at least on my :rs6kiss: ).

Ben:addict:

gjg
October 12th, 2007, 20:55
Mine seems to work best with the windows ever so slightly cracked. Sunroof must be closed though or else it won't go on (at least on my :rs6kiss: ).

that must be California model ...... mine works fine even when tilted up, which help the air flow :hihi: .... oh, and did I say I have the REAL Recaro seats? :harass:

Benman
October 12th, 2007, 21:02
.... oh, and did I say I have the REAL Recaro seats? :harass:

Bastage....

Did I say I have seat & mirror memory? ;) :applause:

gjg
October 12th, 2007, 21:22
Bastage....

;) :applause:

I forgot to mention my memorable trip couple days ago .... uf uf, I be looking for major time in LA jail driving like that .... :jlol: .... :wo:

DuckWingDuck
October 15th, 2007, 06:04
Works fine on mine, but ensure the rear passenger vents are open, apparently that is a pre requisite of the function to allow full recirculation....

Interestingly when I got my RS6 back in October 2006 I noticed that the car suffered from heavy condensation on the inside of the windscreen during cold mornings, my local Audi centre changed out a temperature sensor which on certain models had been under specced, there is a service bulletin on this subject somewhere, work was done under warranty and the condensation is no more....:thumb: Dave

That is good to know. I've got to take mine in and get it serviced!

DuckWingDuck
October 15th, 2007, 06:06
Bastage....

Did I say I have seat & mirror memory? ;) :applause:

I need some help with my seat/mirror memory. I unpress the STOP button (so it becomes slightly raised), adjust to desired position on seat/mirror, press M and at the same time press 1, release both and press STOP. But that doesn't seem to work....?

Benman
October 16th, 2007, 01:05
Hmm.. shouldn't need to hit stop for it to work (or maybe it has been way to long for me...). Last I knew, programming the memory, just the M and # at the same time is all it takes. Otherwise, you'll need a VAG tool or a trip to the stealer.

Hy Octane
October 16th, 2007, 19:31
I need some help with my seat/mirror memory. I unpress the STOP button (so it becomes slightly raised), adjust to desired position on seat/mirror, press M and at the same time press 1, release both and press STOP. But that doesn't seem to work....?

DWD. You need to have the Stop button depressed. Then adjust everything, press the memory bar at the same time as #1.. hold both for a few seconds until you hear a faint 'click' then release. Voila..additionally, to have key set to seat pos 1, hold unlock button on key at the same time you hold M +#1 for a few secs. This will automatically reset the memory for pos 1 every time you unlock the car with that particular key. :mech:

BTW. I had the solar sunroff on my 03 A6 4.2.. Here in SoCal, all it did was to circualte hot air around while parked and added what seemed to be a few hundred pounds to the weight. Thing was heavy, blocked the sunlight and didnt make much diff in temp. Actually I was surprised that it was even included as an extra due to its lack of effect in hot climates. Purposely didnt get the RS6 with it to save weight and to see thru sunroof.