PDA

View Full Version : Autocar: M3 Vs. C63

HKS786
October 10th, 2007, 20:34
I seen this over at M3post:

from a member at mbworld.org:
http://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213450
---------------------

"There are many other things it does to a level that no other AMG product ever achieved.."

"This car feels far more serious than any previously AMG-fettled C Class; it's wider tracks and completely revised suspension hunker it down to the road surface. And the motor...well, the motor is majestically over-endowed for this application."

"..the C63 is a paradigm shift in direction"

"I can't think of a time when I would state, unequivacally, that a fast C class would have better steering than an M3, but that time has come."

---------------------------------

No link, I typed it out from the magazine.

What slightly worries me, living in the UK with our bad roads, is that the M3 has softer suspension than the C63 with the sport suspension and rides better he says.. and this test was in Germany. The problem is the LSD only comes with the sports pack with the harder suspension. Ideally for the UK I think the LSD and 19inch wheels with the softer suspension would be the best all round package.

By the way, he rates the 7 speed auto highly due to the blips on downshifts etc. He used to long term test the old C55 wagon so he has a good base to compare. The tester also has an M3 on order so no bias either way.

Does anyone have scans? I really wanna read this test!

Erik
October 10th, 2007, 21:27
"he rates the 7 speed auto highly due to the blips on downshifts etc"

The RS6 Avant will get the same :)

Leadfoot
October 10th, 2007, 22:13
The C63 is a very highly regarded machine, like the reports says, clearly Mercedes has shifted they position as to what they want their amg models to achieve in the market place and especially how magazines report them. But this steering feel thing has already be said before when the M3 was tested against the RS4 where it too had better feel so lets not get carried away here, the C63 has go feel but probably no better than the RS4.

I still have a problem with this 7sp automatic, sure it's better than before but you can't get pass the fact that it's an auto and you don't totally have control over the gears in the same way as you do with either a manual or semi-auto. I would still prefer the M3 over the C63 purely because of this and when the SMG4 comes out with it's dual clutches I reckon it will be the one to own.............well until the RS4/5 comes out with even more power and S/tronic. ;)

Like everything, it's only as good as the next thing that comes along.:looking:

P.S.

As Erik said, the RS6 has blipping on downshifts which for an automatic is a big thing and changing the whole character of the car from a very fast luxury rocketship to a highly talented sports supersaloon.:D

Leadfoot
October 10th, 2007, 22:38
We all have seen how good Tiff Needel is at drifting the new M3, well I reckon he has meet his match here.

Extreme_M3_drifting (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GdaP_vKxlDc)

RussianM3_dude
October 10th, 2007, 23:01
Oooh, I am seriously tempted by a Performance Pack C63 AMG with a Twin Clutch transmission... in 12-18 months. It's got to be red or white though.

Leadfoot
October 10th, 2007, 23:43
Oooh, I am seriously tempted by a Performance Pack C63 AMG with a Twin Clutch transmission... in 12-18 months. It's got to be red or white though.

Am I hearing right, M3_dude considering something other than a Beemer. The very man who stated that everyone comes back to the Blue and white badge in the long run.

Sorry mate, only messing with you.:thumb:

Leadfoot
October 11th, 2007, 19:22
Just read the article 'M3 vs C63' and was surprised with all the great comments on the C63 that in the end they still picked the M3 over it.

HKS786
October 11th, 2007, 19:42
Just read the article 'M3 vs C63' and was surprised with all the great comments on the C63 that in the end they still picked the M3 over it.

Thanks. Bro, what did they like/dislike about both cars? Apart from the M3's steering :lovl:

I'm actually quite happy to see this new C63 doing quite well!

artur777
October 11th, 2007, 20:18
Could you please state some most important facts & figures about C63 vs M3?

RussianM3_dude
October 11th, 2007, 22:08
Am I hearing right, M3_dude considering something other than a Beemer. The very man who stated that everyone comes back to the Blue and white badge in the long run.

Sorry mate, only messing with you.:thumb:

Well, I am not stuck on BMs. I really like them, but I always consider other options. The C63 looks like the mutt's n_ts.

Leadfoot
October 11th, 2007, 23:08
Thanks. Bro, what did they like/dislike about both cars? Apart from the M3's steering :lovl:

I'm actually quite happy to see this new C63 doing quite well!

Well, where to start. Firstly the steering which you have highlighted, the C63 has better weight and feel/feed back but to be honest no car with power-steering is really that great and thank god for it as public road are no where near as smooth as race tracks and the wheel would be dancing a jig otherwise. But like them I have always hated the extra thick steering wheel and they too feel that most of the bad press the M3 is getting might be down to this very fact. Secondly they praise the C63 automatic and rate it one of the very best about, blipping on down shifts and learning your driving style very quickly. Engine clearly is liked a lot :doh: hard to expect otherwise with over 140ft/lbs more than the M3, it might weigh over 1730kgs but the old girl can't half lift her shirt and go.

Clearly the C63 has beaten the M3 on tactile feel through the hands and the engine clearly can hit even harder but to the Beemer credit the Merc doesn't have that last degree of entertainment that the motoring press feel is so necessary but they are starting to see that though still great the M3 is for a man/woman who is willing put up with it's compromises as a everyday car for that brief occasion when you want to have a bit of fun. Maybe it's here were M3_dude differs from the rest of us, not to say he's wrong just his opinions/wants are different from us in the Audi camp.

The real surprise was the ride quality, never before could you say that an M3 would ride better than a Mercedes but here and now that is the case though you have to spec the Performance Pack which includes 19" alloys, stiffer suspension and the all important LSD. If only you could delete the suspension and keep the rest I reckon Merc would be on to a winner but as UK roads are pretty bad in places, I think this option is one which shouldn't be ticked.

I think the M3 was given the nod because it shadowed the C63 in most of the everyday stuff but was the most entertaining when you really pushed it.