PDA

View Full Version : 19'' or 20'' ?

KarlMarx
October 5th, 2007, 21:50
Hi

Good evening all. I'm new to this forum and would be very interested to hear your opinions about whether you think an RS6 is better overall with 19'' or 20'' wheels?

I've heard the ride quality suffers in the bigger rims -or does it look so good in the larger shoes that the slight reduction in ride not matter so much?

We've put a deposit/genuinely interested £ at our local dealer and am starting to think about options.

Thanks very much in advance,
KM

gjg
October 6th, 2007, 06:21
where do you drive? (Detroit or Germany)

Dr. Engels

KarlMarx
October 6th, 2007, 09:09
UK 3/4 of the time and Germany for the remainder of the time - so a mix of all sorts of roads but mostly bendy B roads (country roads).

Leadfoot
October 6th, 2007, 09:10
For looks alone the 20" make a statement that on such a big car 19" alloys can't. As for your ride quality concerns, if you have laid down a deposit then I recommend you tick the upgrade suspension option (DRC+) which offers three suspension modes (comfort/normal/dynamic), this will allow you to fit the 20" alloys and give you the option to chose your desired set-up for what mood you happen to be in at the time. :thumb:

rokke
October 6th, 2007, 12:03
where do you drive? (Detroit or Germany)

Dr. Engels

where is the difference between the roads in germany and usa for u?

i never visited the usa, so i dont know the streets there.......

KarlMarx
October 6th, 2007, 12:18
Thanks Leadfoot. I think that's a good compromise. Also, I think the ceramic brakes also only come with the 20''. Although I reckon the standard setup will be fine, I was considering the ceramics as they'd last longer and would put not so much dust on the discs. I have also suffered brake-fade on 2 very memorable occasions and it was a rather unsettling experience...

After testing an S6 as a bit of an indication of what the RS6 will be like, we went for a quick spin in the dealer's R8 which was ..well... incredible! The way it stopped was almost as impressive as how quickly it accelerated. And going round roundabouts/corners was genuinely unbelievable.

gjg
October 6th, 2007, 13:49
where is the difference between the roads in germany and usa for u?

i never visited the usa, so i dont know the streets there.......

uff, there is a difference, mainly in speed limits :jlol: ... no, really, there are some bad roads (Detroit being nicknamed the "pothole city" one point of time) and there are some nice ones as well. Then again, you will find this in EU as well..... in general, I'd say compared with Germany it may not be as good in some area ....

Reason why I asked about the area was the 20" wheel would not do too well in former eatern block countries as the road quality is in general worse (or substantially worse) than Germany and 20" wheel would make you more miserable than anything else. :thumb: