PDA

View Full Version : M3_dude drives the new M3.

RussianM3_dude
October 4th, 2007, 14:51
I was invited to the official BMW test-drive event today (for the Swiss members it was in Novotel Lausanne/Bussigny).

So here goes...

First I was very unlucky, the idiots who organized the event did not top up the oil in the car, so half way through the test drive the car went into limp home mode (5000rpm max) and was vibrating strongly. I wanted another go but was told it was not possible since all the cars were already reserved. Idiots. One of the techs had no idea what a "limp home mode was" and told me I was mistaken and the car was simply not warmed up yet.... Yeah right, after 30 minutes driving.

I am not going to post pictures and be too explicit, since I will post the full review on my blog (hi-hi!).

The good.
- Brakes are VERY powerfull. The seemed subjectively to offer better retardation then the RS4.

- The engine is superior to the RS4 engines. It pulls more cleanly from idle and sounds better, more raw, smoother and quicker.

- Traction. Even on a wet road under full power in second gear with traction control half/off I only got chirps from the tires. If you still think you can't drive fast AND safe in the rain with this thing... take the bus or hire a chauffeur.

- It's very refined.

The Bad.

- Steering is bad. It's very vague around the straight ahead and while it then becomes very sharp, it offers very little feedback. The squishy fat steering wheel only worsens the problem it's just too squishy, like one of those rubber balls that you squeeze in your palm to relieve stress. I found that to be a little disconcerting. I would go out on a limb and say that the 335i and my old 130i steering (and my 130i's Msport steering wheel) was a bit better. The RS4 steering is much better around the straight ahead, with zero slack and is more keen initially. However it offers just as little feedback and is inconsistent at low speed (too light, then suddenly loads up). So a very tiny edge to the RS4 here.

- The engine is not THAT special. For that many technical innovations, it sure is not as revvy as a Ferrari engine depite clearly being more hi-tech. It's a bit flat in it's power delivery and you can really feel the lack of torque. There is also no particular rush to the red-line, no last minute explosion beyond 6000rpm, the engine is very polite so to speak. The sound is also not that special. It starts out a bit quiet, then begins to sound exotic, rising in intensity.... but then doesn't really go all the way "pulling out" at the last moment leaving you craving for more.

- The sense of refinement overwhelms the driving experience. Why on earth would you work to make a good sounding engine if you can't hear it? With the windows up, the engine is almost inaudible, like a Lexus. I also felt very disconected from the action, like playing a video game.

- The manual, while a very good unit, just doesn't work in a sports car. It's pretty satisfying to use (at least for me, it's identical to my old 130i) but the throws are just too long and it's a bit arthritic, although it's better then my RS4 due to the fact that I have worn out synchros. Although when new, the RS4 shifter while also too long, can be slammed into gears very very fast.

- Performance is not that exciting. In fact the new M3 subjectively feels a bit on the slow side. I thought I used to love these high revving engines but now I am not so sure anymore. I mean in a motorcycle (I used to have a Honda CBR600RR) the engine just begged to be thrashed and had an addictive top end, however I don't think these engines work in cars, especially that nowdays they are getting very, very heavy. With relatively low torque, there is just no sense of acceleration. The speedo literally explodes, but I didn't feel much excitement, it's the same problem as the M5 that I tried. I think big NA units like the Benz's 6.2 might just be the best compromise between being revvy and powerful.

- The prices are getting ridiculous. With options, the new M3 is just a joke (just like the RS4 in my opinion) it's not as bad in the US where it will cost around 50,000 Euros well equiped, but here in Europe it's just a rip-off/

- The interior just blows. I absolutely loved the E46 interior and think it's actually better then any Audi interior. However the new interior is a let down. The dash plastics especially have become very low-rent (compared with the stellar E46 ones), the "silver" trim is bit cheap looking, the fake leather CF trim is ridiculous. There is absolutely no difference with a regular 3er interior.

- The seats are a let down. They are WAY too squishy and soft. Felt like a Lexus IS250 and were set too high. There was surprisingly little thigh bolstering. In my 130i, sports seat held my bum like a vise and I have gained a little in the backside department since then. In fact I would rate the 130i seats as allround superior as they offered excellent support with the adjustable side bolsters, were pleasingly firm and were very low set.
So I would rate the M3 seats much better then the RS4 Recaros, but worse then the regular RS4 sport seats.

The Ugly.

- I really don't like the body kit. The front lip looks like, well, a guppy fish with it's mouth open, the side "gills" look like door handles from a 1950's fridge, the "power dome" looks very priapic (reminds me of a teenager in tight shorts in his first strip club), the rear is too fussy and exposes the rusting exhaust, the 4 pipes are grouped too close together, making the car seem narrower and there is very little fender flare and the side skirts are a bit weak. The way I see it, the engineers have spent way too much time concentrating on the engine. This is how I see it happening...

///M HQ. 3 days before the Geneva Auto show.

"Congrrrratulation Dieter, ze new M dreier engine is zer fantastich!"
"Ja, Hans, letz celebrate with a bottle of moderately priced Jerman weiss wine. Vee deserve it."
"Oh, sheisse!!!! Dieter, what about ze rest of ze carrrr!!!!"
"Gott im himmel!!!! Hurry!!! Here, take zis cocktail napkin, draw ze new design, I'll build ze new bodykit Tommorow and vee vill install it after tommorow in time for ze auto show, vee can even use zee olde CSL vheels to save ze time."
"But Dieter! Vat about ze interior????"
"Ahh, forgetz it. Vee vill say ve didn't change it because it iz more sporty zis vay."

Conclusion.

The new M3 leaves me a bit confused. I think that BMW engineers have focused too much on the engine and not enough on the rest of the car. Why for example bother offering a CF roof and plastic body panels if the weight has STILL gone up compared to the older models AND the car is more of a GT anyways???? There are occasinal fleeting flashes of greateness, however the fact is, I don't really like the E92 M3 more then the RS4, which means that I don't like it. Perhaps not with the same vehemence as the Audi, but it leaves me completely cold and dissapointed. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. The previous M3 was simply head and shoulders above any comparable competition, but BMW has simply gone lazy on this one. The e92 version will be as forgettable as the e36 version. Worse of all, ///M now stands for ///Marketing and ///Making ///Money.

Soooooo... I guess it's time to begin saving for the E46 M3 CSL. There are a few low mileage examples floating around in Switzerland. So maybe in 18 months.

nene
October 4th, 2007, 21:56
I think you are a Torque junkie!!!!!!! You may want to stick to Super/Turbo-charged vehicles only. I know that once I move to NA cars, it just does not feel the same, no matter how powerful.

Too bad you were unlucky with the test drive though. I'd still be happy that I had the chance regardless. Thanks for the post.

RussianM3_dude
October 4th, 2007, 22:13
It's funny, I've never actually owned a non NA car.

Rutkowsky
October 5th, 2007, 01:23
thanks for taking time for the write up, one question though, how on earth did you come up with all those observations after only half an hour of test drive? And what speeds did you take the car to? As far as the performance goes, it is not just my feeling, it has been tested - it is just a little slower than e60 M5. Over at Mtorque.co.uk a member From SA video'ed a race between M3 vs M6 where M6 was just little faster up to 170mph. But it's not just speed i would like to talk about - the handling is very good too, and torque? You can't be serious here, it pulls up to 8400, all the way and you can feel it. Something tells me, that M3 you test drove, wasn't 100%. I won't go on looks, horses for courses i guess :cheers:

Erik
October 5th, 2007, 06:48
Worse of all, ///M now stands for ///Marketing and ///Making ///Money.

You could be right about that one. And many other things.

Gustav @ M5board.com was over the other day, unfortunately he had just left the new M3 so I wasn't able to drive it.
Might just have to get my butt over to the local dealer and make the roads unsafe in this thing.

Gustav's M3 report http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104802

One thing is sure, the americans will love this car ;)

http://www.m5board.com/articles/m3e92/30.jpg

My neighbour had this car as a loner. The color was stunning, new silverstone?
http://www.m5board.com/articles/m3e92/e904.jpg

RussianM3_dude
October 5th, 2007, 08:08
Yeah, Silverstone 2. Very nice colour, classy as a silver but with a blueish tint.

RussianM3_dude
October 5th, 2007, 08:11
thanks for taking time for the write up, one question though, how on earth did you come up with all those observations after only half an hour of test drive? And what speeds did you take the car to? As far as the performance goes, it is not just my feeling, it has been tested - it is just a little slower than e60 M5. Over at Mtorque.co.uk a member From SA video'ed a race between M3 vs M6 where M6 was just little faster up to 170mph. But it's not just speed i would like to talk about - the handling is very good too, and torque? You can't be serious here, it pulls up to 8400, all the way and you can feel it. Something tells me, that M3 you test drove, wasn't 100%. I won't go on looks, horses for courses i guess :cheers:

30 minutes on twisty roads is plenty. It really takes 5 minutes to get the feel for the car, besides I used to own a 130iMsport before, so everything in the M3 is instantly familiar, switches, buttons, driving position. As for speeds, I can't mention, since it might or might not be self incriminating. I did hit the red line quiet a few times. If I had more time with the car, then I would have commented on front end grip or brake endurance.

Also, the seats are TOO CUSHY. It gives you a floating feels and further disconnects you from the car, in fact they feel identical to the Lexus IS250 seats and as I mentioned give very little bum support.

Ruergard
October 5th, 2007, 08:14
Silverstone 2 colour is awesome, saw that the other day in a local BMW shop. I have to say, the car looks very good in person. The only thing that isn't that good is that thing on the hood.. just to much..

But still, the RS4 looks better! :rs4addict

HKS786
October 5th, 2007, 08:35
Silverstone 2 colour is awesome, saw that the other day in a local BMW shop. I have to say, the car looks very good in person. The only thing that isn't that good is that thing on the hood.. just to much..

But still, the RS4 looks better! :rs4addict

You are absolutely right. I love that colour. I love SSII and Interlagos blue.

HKS786
October 5th, 2007, 08:49
Also, the seats are TOO CUSHY. It gives you a floating feels and further disconnects you from the car, in fact they feel identical to the Lexus IS250 seats and as I mentioned give very little bum support.

Bro this is the first time I've heard anyone say this, but maybe they just didnt put their finger on everything that disconnected the driver from the experience. It's funny because the seats actually look good as if they are supportive, thanks for pointing that out.

Steering is bad. It's very vague around the straight ahead and while it then becomes very sharp, it offers very little feedback. The squishy fat steering wheel only worsens the problem

Okay this is becoming a big problem. Nearly everyone is commenting on the vague feel and fat steering wheel

The sense of refinement overwhelms the driving experience. Why on earth would you work to make a good sounding engine if you can't hear it? With the windows up, the engine is almost inaudible, like a Lexus. I also felt very disconected from the action, like playing a video game.

Again, this shows the car is losing some of the rawness of the E46 M3.

I really don't like the body kit. The front lip looks like, well, a guppy fish with it's mouth open, the side "gills" look like door handles from a 1950's fridge, the "power dome" looks very priapic (reminds me of a teenager in tight shorts in his first strip club), the rear is too fussy and exposes the rusting exhaust, the 4 pipes are grouped too close together

Thanks for pointing that out. I think I agree. I actually think the M-Sport bumper isnt too far off what the new M3 should have been. However, I dont think it's as bad as you say. I agree on the power dome though, it's just too "in your face" and not subtle like the E46. I seen an E46 yesterday and I actually thought it looked just as nice as the new M3 despite being old. I think it would look great with the new M3's 19s.

And yeah I hate the new rear. It's too fussy like I said when we seen official pics. As soon as the car gets a little bit away, all you can see is a mess with quads...not good.

Why for example bother offering a CF roof and plastic body panels if the weight has STILL gone up compared to the older models AND the car is more of a GT anyways????

Yeah I agree. However, they had to keep the same design language as the M6 i.e. CF roof. Also it might not make the car lighter than the E46 but it does still save some weight, thus it's better than not having it. Bro I think you are right about it being more of a GT. Me and Leadie both agree that it will steal M6 sales. It has more rear space etc.

Soooooo... I guess it's time to begin saving for the E46 M3 CSL. There are a few low mileage examples floating around in Switzerland. So maybe in 18 months.

I've got a feeling that the C63 will be the one for you. I really think you should check it out. ;)

HKS786
October 5th, 2007, 08:59
Oh yeah and I think you should put this review on M3post. It would be interesting to see what other people have to say...

RussianM3_dude
October 5th, 2007, 09:33
I am banned from M3post. Well, I think they just blocked my IP, since everytime I log in using my account, the computer just freezes.

RussianM3_dude
October 5th, 2007, 09:37
Bro this is the first time I've heard anyone say this, but maybe they just didnt put their finger on everything that disconnected the driver from the experience. It's funny because the seats actually look good as if they are supportive, thanks for pointing that out.

Okay this is becoming a big problem. Nearly everyone is commenting on the vague feel and fat steering wheel

Again, this shows the car is losing some of the rawness of the E46 M3.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think I agree. I actually think the M-Sport bumper isnt too far off what the new M3 should have been. However, I dont think it's as bad as you say. I agree on the power dome though, it's just too "in your face" and not subtle like the E46. I seen an E46 yesterday and I actually thought it looked just as nice as the new M3 despite being old. I think it would look great with the new M3's 19s.

And yeah I hate the new rear. It's too fussy like I said when we seen official pics. As soon as the car gets a little bit away, all you can see is a mess with quads...not good.

Yeah I agree. However, they had to keep the same design language as the M6 i.e. CF roof. Also it might not make the car lighter than the E46 but it does still save some weight, thus it's better than not having it. Bro I think you are right about it being more of a GT. Me and Leadie both agree that it will steal M6 sales. It has more rear space etc.

I've got a feeling that the C63 will be the one for you. I really think you should check it out. ;)

All M3s were always completely different in the design of the bodykit, number of exhaust pipes, etc. I think BMW should have tried something completely new here.

I think it will kill M6 sales. The M6 is wildly overpriced.

The C63 looks nice. However I really, really want the CSl.

Erik
October 5th, 2007, 09:41

If the M3 seats are too cushy... :vhmmm:

tazsura
October 5th, 2007, 10:01
Nice post M3-dude.

Taz :thumb:

RussianM3_dude
October 5th, 2007, 10:35
If the M3 seats are too cushy... :vhmmm:

The C63 seats looks pretty nice actually. True it will be more of a muscle car. However it doesn't muddle the waters by being neither too sporty nor too GT, It will be fairly confortable with an auto, good handling and massive performance.

Erik
October 5th, 2007, 11:06
Ouch!

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8426/quattrovh8.jpg

RussianM3_dude
October 5th, 2007, 11:08
No biggie, you can buff it out.

Leadfoot
October 5th, 2007, 11:19
All M3s were always completely different in the design of the bodykit, number of exhaust pipes, etc. I think BMW should have tried something completely new here.

I think it will kill M6 sales. The M6 is wildly overpriced.

The C63 looks nice. However I really, really want the CSl.

I think if we agree any more we might as well just post our opinions for each other as this was something I already said on another thread. :thumb:

As for your opinions on the M3, well what can I say, these are a lot of the reasons why I reckon it will appeal to even more people who clearly don't want the hard-edged style that the previous models had. I personally reckon it will appeal to lots of Audi S model owners who happen to live in areas where there is little or no rain fall and they want that bit more excitement.

The interior thing is something BMW are falling down on badly but their lose is Audi's gain.

The thickness of the steering wheel has never been a problem for me, must be the fact that I handle a thick thing every time I go for a piss.:hihi:

Rutkowsky
October 5th, 2007, 11:41
BMW went diferrent direction with this one, that's why Sept. 08 CSL is coming for hardcore types. M3_Dude, why don't you join www.MTorque.co.uk then, i also post there. I seem to be replying to M threads here, as i don't have RS anymore but still want to take part in discussions. Everyone is entitled to his own opinions but how come a steering wheel thickness is a problem to you, and what is your final verdict?

RussianM3_dude
October 5th, 2007, 12:00
CSL will be too expensive for me. If BWM was to say... offer two M3s for the same price, a CSL and a regular... Then I would have welcomed the new M. However to get the M I really want, I would have to pay crazy money, I'd rather get a GT3 for that price.

The problem with the steering wheel is not that it's fat, but that it's too squishy and feels a little slippery. My 130 steering wheel had perforated leather coarse leather and just felt better.

Final verdict???? Will be a huge hit in US. Since it will only cost around 45,000 Euros well equiped there. Half of SoCal will own one. I think in Europe, after the initial excitement the demand will fall off and BMW will introduce an upgraded version half way through the lifecycle a la E36.

Actually the E92 is pretty similiar to the E36 in that respects. Both were initially criticised for going soft, both replaced much loved models and both will have sedan versions.

ben916
October 5th, 2007, 17:09
CSL will be too expensive for me. If BWM was to say... offer two M3s for the same price, a CSL and a regular... Then I would have welcomed the new M. However to get the M I really want, I would have to pay crazy money, I'd rather get a GT3 for that price.

The problem with the steering wheel is not that it's fat, but that it's too squishy and feels a little slippery. My 130 steering wheel had perforated leather coarse leather and just felt better.

Final verdict???? Will be a huge hit in US. Since it will only cost around 45,000 Euros well equiped there. Half of SoCal will own one. I think in Europe, after the initial excitement the demand will fall off and BMW will introduce an upgraded version half way through the lifecycle a la E36.

Actually the E92 is pretty similiar to the E36 in that respects. Both were initially criticised for going soft, both replaced much loved models and both will have sedan versions.

FIRST off, I am not taking offense.

I do live in the US AND in Southern California, actually about 5 miles from US/Mexico border... But please don't hold that against me... (if anything, you can laugh at me 'cause I drive a mushy Honda :hihi: )

Can someone (ERIK or RussianM3_dude or other) tell me why there are comments about how the US will love this car or it will be a big hit in the US? Or please tell me what is meant by those comments?

Remember, I am not taking offense, others might, but not me. You can even PM me so I understand...

Thanks in advance..

:vhmmm:

RussianM3_dude
October 5th, 2007, 17:17
Very simple. Lets face it, comfy cars are popular in America and the M3 is a lot less raw then the model it replaces. It is much more comfortable then the model it replaces. Most roads in US are dead straight, steering feel will not be as important in Arizona as it is in Switzerland. Qaulity of roads in Europe is also higher (except for England) then in North America so more compliant suspension is not as important, trust me, I know, I used to live in Quebec... Third World country roads...
It will also be substantially cheaper in the US then Europe. 60KUSD vs. at least 100KUSD in Europe (and much, much more in some countries.)

That's it. Not bacause Americans are "stupid" or because the new M3 has "large cupholders." Mostly because of the price and increased long distance travel comfort.

Erik
October 5th, 2007, 20:34
Can someone (ERIK or RussianM3_dude or other) tell me why there are comments about how the US will love this car or it will be a big hit in the US? Or please tell me what is meant by those comments?

Not sure I ever said so, but I would concur.

For some reason the M3, and many other cars, are a lot less expensive once they've shipped over to the US. And petrol is a lot cheaper in the US as well.
Sadly, there are no Autobahns "over there"...

ben916
October 5th, 2007, 22:56
One thing is sure, the americans will love this car ;)

Erik, no offense, just showing you were it was written..

Speedou
October 6th, 2007, 09:18
I think it was a joke about the cup holder :)

Leadfoot
October 6th, 2007, 09:26
The simple answer ben916 is that in the States, BMW are very highly respected, more some than any other European brand and especially so in the performance sector where the M cars have built up a great reputation for providing amazing performance from small capacity engines compared to their US counterparts plus having a built quality that US cars don't (no offence) and all in a package that handles extremely well. Like Erik and M3_dude stating in the States BMW have a very aggressive pricing policy.

Now to this M3 which we all reckon will be loved by all of you lot. It not only providing even more speed/performance than the out going model but it's more comfortable, easier to drive (more torque lower down) and with more techno (more toys for your money). It's manual which is a plus as the M5 wasn't so everything is pointing to a car that will be loved over there. As it will here too I might add.:thumb:

Erik
October 6th, 2007, 09:41
I think it was a joke about the cup holder :)

Yup, the cup holder was a joke. :hahahehe: