PDA

View Full Version : Which is the ultimate M car ?

Leadfoot
September 30th, 2007, 11:25
I would love to hear anyone opinion of which of all the M cars to date is the ultimate M car.

I won't be voting just yet as I want some people's opinion to see if my prediction is correct.:D

I would have done one for the ultimate RS car but as each model has got progressively better there was little point.

Clio16V
September 30th, 2007, 11:43
The M3CSL of course! :)

rokke
September 30th, 2007, 11:56
in my eyes, the m5 e60 is the ultimate M-car, because its a sedan, u can make long turns in it, perfect for the autobahn, quick AND comfy....
the combination of comfort and incredible quick traveling, thats what important for me. if i want to have a PURE trackcar, i would buy a GT3 RS, but i wont travel from munich to hamburg in this....in the m5 i would do easily.....

quattro Gmbh
September 30th, 2007, 12:09
E30 M3 or E46 M3 CSL

El_cucaracha
September 30th, 2007, 12:37
I vote for E60 M5

The RS6
September 30th, 2007, 12:49
I cannot believe there is a poll in which i picked a BMW :D

Anyway, first vote for the E92 from me...

Fab
September 30th, 2007, 13:11
CSL far above all :revs:

RussianM3_dude
September 30th, 2007, 14:04
CSL. As close to the spirit of the original M3 as possible and cracking standalone car.

Ruergard
September 30th, 2007, 14:05
Hard choice there, but I'll wait just as Leadfoot. A friend of mine has just bought an M6 and I'll have the oppurtunity to drive it and maybe make up my mind there.. as soon as I get my drivinglicense back that is. :hihi:

Interesting to see what you other guys go for!

Bingocaller
September 30th, 2007, 14:59
Voted for the E30 but I think the CSL is going to win :)

Leadfoot
September 30th, 2007, 15:10
Clearly very few have driven anywhere near the complete range of M cars, myself included in that but I have driven the best one by far and it wasn't the CSL. ;) Funny that only two people mentioned it but still didn't class it as the best or is it a case of power and grip clouding the issue.

Ruergard
September 30th, 2007, 16:19
Clearly very few have driven anywhere near the complete range of M cars, myself included in that but I have driven the best one by far and it wasn't the CSL. ;) Funny that only two people mentioned it but still didn't class it as the best or is it a case of power and grip clouding the issue.

It isn't hard to figure out which one you like. :jlol:

+44 Dave
September 30th, 2007, 16:39
Out of this current generation of M cars the most enjoyable is the Z4 M coupe. Its overlooked because of its fun styling but is a serious drivers car and a real blast to drive. Especially in manual setting. Give it a look seriously.

Of all time though E36 M3 kills it.

RussianM3_dude
September 30th, 2007, 17:16
E46 M3 GTR?????? Rare and a true homologation special.

nene
September 30th, 2007, 17:49
I picked the CSL, as this would be the one I'd like to have.
It would be much easier to truly pick the best had I driven them all.

Leadfoot
September 30th, 2007, 19:04
It isn't hard to figure out which one you like. :jlol:

Yep,

I am quite surprised more didn't think of that but then again it is a bit of an old timer and I doubt too many have had a chance to sample it. The E30 M3 is without a doubt the best driving M car ever, sure it's nowhere near as fast as some of the more modern stuff but in the corner I would reckon it not even the M3CSL has anywhere near the same level of delicacy or balance.

In fact watch this video of a Turboed E30 M3 giving a Carrera GT not to hard of a time around the ring.

E30_M3_vs_S4_vs_Carerra_GT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63vCigVCUDU)

No doubt someone here might know the car and it's history.

P.S.
Another little known fact about the E30 M3 is that it's weight balance isn't the BMW's holy grail 50/50, it's actually 48/52 rear bias. :D

7:53 RS6
September 30th, 2007, 19:05
What about M1 and M5 E28?

Well according to latet EVO that done a test the greatest M car ever(13 cars). The M3 E30 SE was the winner, nr 2 was E46 CSL.

I have driven all M cars except M1, M5 E28 and M3 E92, as well owned a lot of them mentioned in this poll.

My pic is as EVO M3 E30 Sport evo, still will not forget the tracktime I done in that car, as well on the ring back in 1993:) .

nr 2 on my list is CSL, its the shit:revs: car, I am pretty sure that M3 E46 CSL is a car that most will remember when its old, kind of like the M3 E30.

Leadfoot
September 30th, 2007, 19:12
What about M1 and M5 E28?

Well according to latet EVO that done a test the greatest M car ever(13 cars). The M3 E30 SE was the winner, nr 2 was E46 CSL.

I have driven all M cars except M1, M5 E28 and M3 E92, as well owned a lot of them mentioned in this poll.

My pic is as EVO M3 E30 Sport evo, still will not forget the tracktime I done in that car, as well on the ring back in 1993:) .

nr 2 on my list is CSL, its the shit:revs: car, I am pretty sure that M3 E46 CSL is a car that most will remember when its old, kind of like the M3 E30.

Mate, you were the guy I was most wanting to hear from because I reckoned if anyone had driven most of them it would have been you. I agree that the CSL will be the one most will think of because of the limited numbers of E30 M3 ever made, I was lucky enough to sample one quite a while ago now, only on a track thank God as being LHD isn't really a pleasure in the RHD world that the UK is. I reckoned it was to nearest thing to my old Lotus Elan when it came to delicacy though clearly with a bit more grunt.

An incredible little car and given the right amount of power, could still be.

P.S.

The vote only allows 10 choices so I had to chose wisely.

Ruergard
September 30th, 2007, 20:24
Yep,

I am quite surprised more didn't think of that but then again it is a bit of an old timer and I doubt too many have had a chance to sample it. The E30 M3 is without a doubt the best driving M car ever, sure it's nowhere near as fast as some of the more modern stuff but in the corner I would reckon it not even the M3CSL has anywhere near the same level of delicacy or balance.

In fact watch this video of a Turboed E30 M3 giving a Carrera GT not to hard of a time around the ring.

E30_M3_vs_S4_vs_Carerra_GT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63vCigVCUDU)

No doubt someone here might know the car and it's history.

P.S.
Another little known fact about the E30 M3 is that it's weight balance isn't the BMW's holy grail 50/50, it's actually 48/52 rear bias. :D

Agree, absolutely love that car. Havn't had the oppurtunity to drive one though. :(

BroddvonBronto
September 30th, 2007, 21:33
Hard choice there, but I'll wait just as Leadfoot. A friend of mine has just bought an M6 and I'll have the oppurtunity to drive it and maybe make up my mind there.. as soon as I get my drivinglicense back that is. :hihi:

Interesting to see what you other guys go for!

Hey congrats on driving that beast! Maybe he'd like to do a little photoshoot as well :D
How did you loose your DL dude?:incar:

Ruergard
September 30th, 2007, 21:54
Hey congrats on driving that beast! Maybe he'd like to do a little photoshoot as well :D
How did you loose your DL dude?:incar:

Thanks! I got really surprised when he offered me to do that, and very happy to!

A photoshoot is already booked, stay alert for pics! ;)
About the drivinglicence, well.. I drove a bit to fast going to Elmia in April. ;) :incar:

krm
October 1st, 2007, 04:32
They all are my favorites, but the E46 CSL more so!

LU-RS6
October 1st, 2007, 08:35
If the CSL wouldn't be in the list my vote would go to the Z3M.

frikktion
October 1st, 2007, 12:31
e30 m3 for ever!

AndyBG
October 16th, 2007, 01:25
My favourite is E34 M5, and I don't understand why you missed that one... ?

I voted E30 M3 here...

3abdo
October 16th, 2007, 04:48
My favourite is E34 M5
Me too, this is still my preferred BMW style wise

Erik
October 16th, 2007, 09:14
M3 CSL of course, but E30 M3 EVO is a strong contender.

Leadfoot
October 16th, 2007, 09:23
M3 CSL of course, but E30 M3 EVO is a strong contender.

Well I am not surprised that the majority picked the CSL as their favourite and I can see why, it has proved to be the quickest on any given track and had the best engine note of any 6cylinder unit.

I am pleased to see that the E30 M3 got some of the credit it was due as the model which started the whole thing off.

I wonder in another 15 years will we all feel the same way regarding the RS2 and we do about the orginial Quattro Coupe.

itisme
October 16th, 2007, 09:41
Voted for Z4 M Coupe

nice, light two seater, rear wheel drive and enough power... for me a great M Car... plus a small number of untis

steve
October 16th, 2007, 13:07
Z3 M coupe S54! :D

tazsura
October 16th, 2007, 13:48
I've only just seen this thread...

..but it HAS to be the E30 M3...there is no better. Just a beautiful car in both looks and performance. Little weight, not a huge engine, enough power to exploit one of the best RWD chassis's ever. A true great.

Taz :burnout:

Speedou
October 16th, 2007, 16:14
If the CSL wouldn't be in the list my vote would go to the Z3M.

I'm driving the Z3MC. And I was thinking that which of the three to pick the best of all. I answered the e46 CSL. Think second would be an e30 M3 and third place to Z3. Still it has something that those two doesn't have, but it is maybe not that ultimate M part. Just something else...and speaking only about Coupe version.

Z3 M coupe S54! :D

Guess you are driving one? Just to bring up that there is about nothing true difference between S50 or S54. If the S54 would be exactly the same than in e46 it would be great!

steve
October 16th, 2007, 16:17
Guess you are driving one? Just to bring up that there is about nothing true difference between S50 or S54. If the S54 would be exactly the same than in e46 it would be great!

A friend of mine has one. There certainly are some differences between the 2. Starting with the engine. It's stronger down low than the S50. Also the suspension is more refined.

Speedou
October 16th, 2007, 17:30
A friend of mine has one. There certainly are some differences between the 2. Starting with the engine. It's stronger down low than the S50. Also the suspension is more refined.

There really is not difference at low. Maybe like 5Nm but really nothing on the road. And suspension is exactly the same...anyway standard suspension isn't that good in M Coupe.

Ruergard
October 16th, 2007, 18:33
I wonder in another 15 years will we all feel the same way regarding the RS2 and we do about the orginial Quattro Coupe.

At least I will, will never forget those cars. More special than almost anything else.. A S1 Quattro drivven by Walter is a sight in motoringhistory that never will be forgotten. And never "beaten" for that matter either.. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Sorry for the OT. Regarding the poll, very interesting. Nice to see the E34 M5 mentioned as well, very nice car!

Mori
October 17th, 2007, 21:19
CSL - wouldn't mind picking up a used one today either.