PDA

View Full Version : How do I "seal" the intake Airbox?

snoopra
September 28th, 2007, 23:24
Hello, I was told by a Ex-RS 6 owner that there is a way to seal the factory air intake box to prevent it from leaking air under boost by installing spacers or washers.
Does anyone know how this is done?:addict:

Wayne

RS6-4dr911
September 29th, 2007, 01:55
Uh, . . . . I don't think the airbox is under pressure. It just sucks, not blows.

snoopra
September 29th, 2007, 16:27
Uh, . . . . I don't think the airbox is under pressure. It just sucks, not blows.
Should have pressure when you release the throttle, right? Diverter valves dump inlet intake.

Lateknight
September 29th, 2007, 18:14
The airbox is open to atmosphere (how else would the air get in to begin with?)

It is definitely not the air box you should be sealing.

I dont know the real answer to your question.

Any RS6 owner know what this might be reffering to?
(intercoolers??:confused: )

SpinEcho
September 29th, 2007, 23:01
Perhaps this is what he's referring to:

http://www2.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5536&highlight=air+intake+hot

(The search function is your friend)...

Aronis
September 30th, 2007, 19:56
Should have pressure when you release the throttle, right? Diverter valves dump inlet intake.

The Diverter valves in the RS6 setup do not dump pressure like the Popoff valves in a Subaru WRX.

This keeps the turbo pressure ready to go when you hit the gas.

The popoff's actually vent the turbo pressure to the outside when you let up on the gas, while the diverter system keeps that pressure on hold to allow the next acceloration to be smooth....certain some excess pressure is released at some point, but not via the air box. The intake airbox is where the air filter is...not under pressure, just an entry point.

Mike

snoopra
September 30th, 2007, 22:19
I'll try to contact the guy that told me about the mod so he can better explain it to me, then I'll let you guys know.:addict: