PDA

View Full Version : S5: Audi Drive Select Preview

Qisha
September 27th, 2007, 12:25
Dear Friends,

a little preview on the upcoming Audi Drive Select Option for the A5/S5 chassis:

Scheduled for the 2nd half 2008.

Qisha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alvAaQ4LuCE

Leadfoot
September 27th, 2007, 13:16
Qisha,

This is the first time that torque vectoring has actually been stated in an official press video so clearly it is coming mid '08.

A bit late for my S5 but there's always next time which seems to roll around soon enough.:D

KresoF1
November 12th, 2007, 12:59
Audi Drive Select, Active Chassis and Dynamic Steering are new options for A5/S5 available from now.

Drive Select and Active Chassis are big YES for S5. Dynamic Steering is NO.

AndyBG
November 12th, 2007, 14:39
... Active Chassis ... YES for S5. Dynamic Steering is NO.

What is Active chassis... ?

THX !

KresoF1
November 12th, 2007, 14:47
What is Active chassis... ?

THX !

Active suspension as alternative to normal S5 suspension. Three modes-normal, comfort and sport(or something similar).

Only available with Drive Select.

RussianM3_dude
November 12th, 2007, 14:52
What's drive select???

KresoF1
November 12th, 2007, 15:37
Audi drive select:
Adapt the characteristics of the Audi S5 to suit your personal requirements using the three modes comfort, auto and dynamic – from extremely comfortable to decidedly sporty. Controls the AWD(rear diff=torque vectoring), throttle response and optional Dynamic Steering(similar to BMW Active steering-Big NO, NO IMHO).

Audi Damper Control(Active Suspension):
The optional Damper control system makes individual settings for suspension tunings possible. A lowered sports suspension forms the basis. Adjustable hydraulic dampers alert the damper characteristics for each wheel.

crespo
November 12th, 2007, 15:39
From the B8 A4 press release (http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_3389.shtml?page=6):

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/generated//Audi/A4-S4-RS4%20(B5,%20B6,%20B7%20and%20B8)/A4%20Sedan%20(B8)/Interior%20-%20EU/052__scaled_600.jpg

Audi drive select – up to four different cars in one
Those who drive the A4 hard and enthusiastically can choose between two sports suspension settings, or alternatively rely on an innovative technology – the innovative system known as Audi drive select. This is available in various stages, which influence an increasing number of technical components and functions on the car: accelerator pedal response, tiptronic shift points, power steering assistance, the steering ratio and the action of the electronically adjustable shock absorbers – another new feature.
The driver can select the comfort, auto or dynamic modes at switches on the centre console. If the A4 is equipped with the MMI control system, a fourth mode, “Individual”, is available; this enables an individual profile of 24 settings to be configured. Audi drive select transforms a single A4 into up to four different cars – a range of driving pleasure, dynamism and ride comfort that is unmatched in the midsize car category.

RussianM3_dude
November 12th, 2007, 16:15
Is it possible to have drive select and the active suspension but without the active steering?

KresoF1
November 12th, 2007, 16:18
Is it possible to have drive select and the active suspension but without the active steering?

Yes, it is.

crespo
November 12th, 2007, 16:33
I believe you'll be able to select how much active steering you want applied through ADS, being able to turn it fully off.

"accelerator pedal response, tiptronic shift points, power steering assistance, the steering ratio and the action of the electronically adjustable shock absorbers"

MPT
November 12th, 2007, 18:48

No it is not. Although you can change the 'induvidual' setting via MMI, so that the power steering isn't as involving as in for example the comfort.

KresoF1
November 12th, 2007, 19:11
No it is not. Although you can change the 'induvidual' setting via MMI, so that the power steering isn't as involving as in for example the comfort.

You are wrong.

It is possible to order Drive Select and Active Chassis as individual items.

Drive Select code is 2H1

Damper Control code is 1BL

Check with internal Audi order system(at least I did via my dealer)...

Fab
November 12th, 2007, 19:56
Anyway I think it is about time for Audi to offer such adjustments.

Leadfoot
November 12th, 2007, 19:58
Currently these options are only available in Europe but not the UK, I believe they will be rolled out with the introduction of the A4 over here, though it may be brought forward from that and intro-ed in the A5 but no sooner than March. Or so I am told.

RussianM3_dude
November 12th, 2007, 23:14
That's a fantastic idea. Instead of trying to tune the car to the slowest common denominator, why not offer everybody a choice to tune their A4 from a 1970's era Cadillac to a Lotus Exige.

AndyBG
November 12th, 2007, 23:43
Active suspension as alternative to normal S5 suspension. Three modes-normal, comfort and sport(or something similar).

Only available with Drive Select.

THX ! :thumb:

chewym
November 13th, 2007, 04:09
Good video that shows how Audi Drive Select works, just press on one of the two buttons, or use MMI with individual. So far no word on when this will come to USA.