PDA

View Full Version : child seat?

930chas
September 24th, 2007, 14:45
I did a search, but didn't have much luck. How user friendly is the RS6 for child seats? I don't imagine it is that much of a big deal...but is there any chance of fitting three? Thanks for any insight!

FullThrottleNYC
September 24th, 2007, 15:21
I installed 2 seats Saturday on my new 2003 RS6. I just got the car Friday. You might be able to get 3 booster-style seats, but only 2 standard baby seats fit. My twins are 3 1/2 and we're changing to boosters soon. The RS6 also has the LATCH system and the top strap anchor (behind the headrests) so installation is easy.

930chas
September 24th, 2007, 15:24
Great. Thank you. Good to know about the latch system. Yeah, one of them would be the booster seat, and the other two would be standard child seats. By the way the Recaro booster seats are awesome!! My 5 year old calls it his racing seat.

FullThrottleNYC
September 24th, 2007, 15:32
I'll check the Recaro seats out, thanks. Make sure your standard car seats don't have those arm rests on both sides...if they do the booster might be a tight fit. Good luck!

BLITZEN
September 24th, 2007, 19:27
Hope you're not tall 'cause you'll also probably have to move the front seats forward. I couldn't see (3), but if they were the right seats, maybe. The cars have all the fastening systems available. Latches and hooks everywhere!

FullThrottleNYC
September 24th, 2007, 19:33
I'm 6'2" and (surprisingly) there's plenty of room for the kid's legs behind the seat. You're right- if you get the right type of child seat you'll have more room. Make sure you do not have the rear seat side airbags option- those are very dangerous for kids.

930chas
September 24th, 2007, 19:37
Thank you. Good advice.

BLITZEN
September 24th, 2007, 20:47
FullThrottle,
My owners manual made it seem like no RS6's were made without the side curtain airbags. It also didn't show any way of disengaging them. I'd be interested if you have any contrary information.

Aronis
September 25th, 2007, 03:10
Your kidding right?

It's just like any A6....I thought...

I've been driving around with a baby in an infant seat, a 2 1/2 year old in a kids booster seat and a 10 year old front seat. I have not considered the side curtains as a problem...

Good question though....

My wifes Tribeca has rear side curtains also, should we just leave the kids home?

Mike

skiwi
September 25th, 2007, 11:02
i fit 3 kids across the back on the rare occassions when i let them in the car. i don't see the issue with rear side airbags? the child's head is at the right level and height...

RS6 POWER
September 25th, 2007, 11:51
I purchased a Recaro car seat from; www.GMPperformance.com (file:///C:/Documents and Settings/mkrisel/Application Data/Microsoft/Signatures/www.GMPperformance.com) awsome investment...they have a variety of colors!!!

Thanks,
Manuel

FullThrottleNYC
September 25th, 2007, 18:29
As I have been told (by Audi dealers) the curtain bags are not the danger- it's the rear side airbags that can be dangerous to kids. It was an option- I looked at 2 RS6's with them and ultimately bought one without the rear seat-side airbag option.

skiwi
September 25th, 2007, 19:47
why? i believe the deployment is forward?

FullThrottleNYC
September 25th, 2007, 20:55
Audi dealer says they deploy inward and forward. Very dangerous for kids they say- if you have this option you can see the ABS logo on the rear seat, under the rear seat belt strap, passenger & driver sides. Call your dealer to confirm/clarify.

gmbh6
September 27th, 2007, 19:40
i fit 3 kids across the back on the rare occassions when i let them in the car...

:jlol: :jlol: :jlol: :jlol: :jlol: :jlol: :jlol:

SoCal
October 1st, 2007, 08:11
When I had my 2003 RS6, I used a Recaro "Young Sport" model child seat and it fit wonderfully in the back on the passenger side. Installation was easy. (Now it resides happily in our S6, which my daughter very much likes.) That style car seat offers especially good side impact protection, even for the child's head.

Britax makes the best, most comforable and easiest to use car seats but they are a little bulkier than the Recaros and the head protection isn't quite as good, at least on the older models. Should still fit in the RS6 though.

When installing any child's car seat in the RS6, be sure to use something (like a cut-off pool "noodle" styrofoam cylinder) to level the child seat. Place it underneath the car seat toward the very back. Otherwise, the car seat has a tendency to sink into the rear of the buckets, which makes the car seat less safe because its points upwards instead of directly forwards. Your highway patrol or fire department may help with free installation and a safety check. At least in California, they will.

I had the rear side airbags deactivated for safety. They were an option on the RS6 and, if you have a car that has them, a dealer should be able to deactivate them for you. You may have to sign a liability waiver acknowledging that they've done so. Very important to do that if you have a child in the back seat in a proper restraint. Otherwise, the airbags can cause suffocation and other injuries or could trap the child in the car seat.

Enjoy your car.:addict:

FullThrottleNYC
October 2nd, 2007, 15:59
I've been shopping around and found this 5 point car seat that's a one-of-a kind in the category. Just ordered 2 of them. If you have kids between 30lbs and 100lbs this is the one:

http://www.safeguardseat.com/go/index.htm