PDA

View Full Version : The 2nd holiday (the most important one)

LamboM
September 21st, 2007, 14:52
Hello and welcome to the most important, weird,depressing and the most special holiday in Judaism.
(maybe even more special than all christian or islamic holidays , That you'll decide for yourself after I'll tell you all about it)

Now this holy day is all about forgiveness, it's called Yom Kippur (in hebrew) translation: Day of Atonement .

It works like this:
It starts when the first star in the sky appears, that's arround 6:01 PM Israel time.
the "gates of heaven opens " and we are starting a 25 hours fasting to get gods forgiveness on all of our sins done during the year.
This is the day that god decides who's to live and who's to....
We also apologize to each other (most of the times forgive) for all the bad thing we've done during the year.

Now this is where the special part begins.
No cars are allowed on the street, we are not allowed to turn on any electrical equipment, including lights, T.V or anything that has anything to do with electricity,(not even battery powered equipment).
We are going back to the stone age sort of speak.
But if a gadget was alredy on before the holiday began, we are not allowed to turn it off (but we do turn it off before it begins).
The idea is that we sit home and do nothing except thinking of all the bad thing we've done.

This is how it works for the very religious persons, the more modren jews such as me , who don't believe in God, are exploiting the fact that there are no cars,
and because we can't turn on anything (and even if we did there is nothing on it , I'm talking about T.V or radio, everything shuts down).
We ride our bikes, rollerblades or what ever we have (technically it's not allwed but what are we suppsed to do? we are modern)
to sometimes long trips , my longest one with my old bikes was 34 Km long ! .
This year with my new bikes , I Shall do more!

See isn't it special?

LamboM
September 22nd, 2007, 18:17
That's it the 25 hours are over.
This time with those bikes I really went far and fast.
I think I travled over 41 KM!
I was both hard and fun and in some points dangerous.
But hey what do you thing of the holiday itself?
And my journey?

Benman
September 25th, 2007, 00:20
Hello and welcome to the most important, weird,depressing and the most special holiday in Judaism.
(maybe even more special than all christian or islamic holidays...

This is how it works for the very religious persons, the more modren jews such as me , who don't believe in God...

See isn't it special?

Umm...

I'd say the Lord's Evening Meal is more special ;)

But if you don't believe in God, why post this stuff???:doh: :confused:

It's like saying, "I don't believe in superstitions... but the other day, I came across a black cat and a ladder...":vhmmm:

Ben:addict:

LamboM
September 26th, 2007, 13:20
The simple fact that I want you to know how it works.
Even if I don't believe in god , in here , there is nothing I can do , I must "celebrate"
this holiday, I have no way of avoiding it, although I kinda like it, I like the silence
on the street, and seeing adults and kids a like taking huge bike trips.
Including myself.

It's my most special day of the year except my birthday (november 7th ) , and I want to share it with you people.

And my ears are open , (better yet my eyes) what is this Lord's Evening Meal , tell me , I want to know.