PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Lip Spoiler

Boosted-Bora
September 21st, 2007, 03:16
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8118/dsc03594qu8.th.jpg (http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc03594qu8.jpg)

I know that many people wont like this and I am sure that a few people have seen this before. All I am asking is peoples opinion and if any one knows where i can get it or a lip similar. I have tried to contact the Check Shop ( www.checkshop.com ) multiple times via e-mail and no response. Or if someone speaks and or writes Japanese and is willing to contact then for me.

BTW it will be going on a Avus silver saloon with 5% tint

All comments welcome

Cheers, Drew:addict:

nene
September 21st, 2007, 16:17
Drew,
I had seen that pic before, and was not a big fan. I would rather have something more like the S4 25th Anniversary lip spoiler. Less flashy. Good luck finding location that makes something similar.

AndyBG
September 22nd, 2007, 02:12
I have to admit that I like this spoiler...

I don't have a clue where can you find it...

Aronis
September 23rd, 2007, 02:03
not bad

Mike

Boosted-Bora
November 10th, 2007, 20:00
After a long and drawn out process i was able to get my hands on the lip it cost me $900 USD shipped from vegas cause he was on his way to SEMA this year and agreed to bring it to the US without a charge and just charge me shipping from Vegas to Washington DC I will receive it Wednesday will post pics when it comes in

DuckWingDuck
November 10th, 2007, 21:19
Congrats on locating it, I think it looks pretty decent.

Spidercat
November 11th, 2007, 00:31
Drew,

Any

Spidercat
November 11th, 2007, 00:33
Drew,
Any info on how to contact the guy? That spoiler looks pretty sharp, IMO!
-Mark

Boosted-Bora
November 12th, 2007, 06:08
The guys name is Oscar he is very nice.

He can be reached at check@nifty.com

To my knowledge there is only 2 spoilers that were sold at this time one is on a car in the UK and i believe that mine is the other.

I will let you guys know how the fitment is when i receive it on Wednesday :mech:

mi021le
November 12th, 2007, 17:31
hey drew when u get it let me know id like to see it. are you going to paint it grey or what?

Antagonist
November 12th, 2007, 17:34
Color matched would look pretty sharp!

aarong
November 12th, 2007, 18:36
what size are the rears on that car? looks sweet (and large)

DuckWingDuck
November 12th, 2007, 22:33
Gonna have to go REALLLL slow over speed bumps!

Boosted-Bora
November 13th, 2007, 04:06
Yeah ill defiantly let you know jay and no I am not going to color match it I am a big fan of carbon fiber bits on cars. And as for the speed bumps i wont know the half of it until i get my PSS9's on the car cause when i do I am turning the coils all the way down:jlol:

ben916
November 13th, 2007, 17:30
Looks awesome!!!

Can you have photos of the before/after and install posted here?

Boosted-Bora
November 13th, 2007, 18:02
ben916,

no problem i will do that and i will also do a step by step install on the spoiler but it shouldnt be too hard.

ilovegt100
November 18th, 2007, 04:36
I'm in NoVA and would love to see this thing in person. Let me know when you are done- or earlier if you want an extra set of hands.

Boosted-Bora
November 18th, 2007, 17:18
ilove, il PM you my number. Give me a call i actually already installed it and as for before and after pics and as for a write up my camera was acting stupid and it is at ritz for service so all i have is phone pics :doh:

parkertseng
November 19th, 2007, 01:59
post them up, please! i am interested as well!

Boosted-Bora
November 19th, 2007, 17:35
will post pic today just have to get them on the computer from my phone.....LOL

Boosted-Bora
November 19th, 2007, 18:17
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7576/myliponrs6bv9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Boosted-Bora
November 19th, 2007, 18:20
car is dirty and crappy pic but you get the idea for now

nene
November 19th, 2007, 19:45
Seems like a great fitment! Body colored might have made a slight difference, but it's your call.

Boosted-Bora
November 19th, 2007, 22:30
fitment is great and quality is amazing but I am not a fan of colored matched lips on cars so i went with the carbon. But as you said its all in preference

DuckWingDuck
November 19th, 2007, 22:37
Damn, that does look pretty nice, and there won't be matching for my car...

parkertseng
November 19th, 2007, 22:43
Is it really of carbon fiber or just a spoiler coated with carbon fiber? Where can I buy this stuff on internet? I can't wait to have one.....Do they have the rear spoiler?

RS6 POWER
November 20th, 2007, 12:37
NICE...can't wait to get mine!!!

Boosted-Bora
November 20th, 2007, 18:27
if you would like a spolier then please PM me or e-mail me at dahlbackjetta05@yahoo.com I will be ordering more (due to the fact that i will be breaking this one when slammed) and may be able to get a good deal for us all i will talk to oscar and find out what I can do for us all.

and yes it is real carbon:wo:

parkertseng
November 20th, 2007, 22:33
Any more detail pictures available? Thanks!

Babsi
December 11th, 2007, 19:13
Where is it originally from (Country)?

Boosted-Bora
December 11th, 2007, 21:33
the lip originally came from japan i think

RS6 POWER
December 13th, 2007, 02:20
Yes it is from Japan...but I have called Oscar and sent him several e-mail's, and no response!!!

goodduck
December 13th, 2007, 03:46
that looks real nice :thumb: would love to see it on some other colors or an avant.

ben916
December 13th, 2007, 19:58
looks great!

Boosted-Bora
December 14th, 2007, 14:12
rs6 power dont worry i will get in contact with him but according to the last time i spoke to him he said that the one i got was the last of 2 and there will be no more made. But i will let you know asap

RS6 POWER
December 14th, 2007, 16:20
rs6 power dont worry i will get in contact with him but according to the last time i spoke to him he said that the one i got was the last of 2 and there will be no more made. But i will let you know asap

Thank You!!!

Spidercat
January 11th, 2008, 00:34
Any final word yet?

RS6 POWER
January 11th, 2008, 01:27
I have sent several e-mail's with no response!!!

Boosted-Bora
January 11th, 2008, 08:36
I had spoke to him about 2 weeks ago and he said that there is no more as I wanted to get another for when i crack this one since I am going to be turning my coilovers all the way down in the spring.

But i am thinking of making a mold and replicating a few of them since i plan on breaking a few.

:hihi:

mi021le
January 11th, 2008, 09:39
i still think we should try in on a black car drew. ;)

RS6 POWER
January 11th, 2008, 09:41
Well count me in if you do a mold and fabricate a few.Regards,Manuel

Spidercat
January 11th, 2008, 10:10
Me, too! No better time than the present, I always say! You could crack the last one on a curb, speedbump, driveway... you never know.
Not that I'm biased or anything...
Anyway, if you make a mold, any chance of making them out of something a bit more pliable/durable/forgiving than fiberglass, like polyurethane or similar?

Boosted-Bora
January 11th, 2008, 19:02
well i would be making them out of carbon for sure i may make a few out of poly for those who may want to paint them but i will see what happens.

and maybe we should try it on a black car im sure it would look good but i wonder whos car i would use to test fit it..... :hihi:

DuckWingDuck
January 11th, 2008, 21:21
Hey, I've got a black car!

RS6 POWER
January 11th, 2008, 22:04
well i would be making them out of carbon for sure i may make a few out of poly for those who may want to paint them but i will see what happens.

and maybe we should try it on a black car im sure it would look good but i wonder whos car i would use to test fit it..... :hihi:
How long will this take you my friend?

Regards,
Manuel

DuckWingDuck
January 11th, 2008, 23:05
I wasn't a giant fan of the lip but if more people get in on it together we can certainly cut down the costs.

Boosted-Bora
January 12th, 2008, 17:11
I am in the process of inquiring so see what a mold will cost me then how much it will cost to do each spoiler.

Spidercat
February 14th, 2008, 11:07
Drew,
Any news yet...

Boosted-Bora
February 14th, 2008, 14:58
well i actually did inquire about the mold it seems to make a mold is about 4000$ USD and each spolier would be about 400-1000$ USD depending on material used to make it but honestly I think I may not do it due to cost

BLITZEN
February 14th, 2008, 18:00
well i actually did inquire about the mold it seems to make a mold is about 4000$ USD and each spolier would be about 400-1000$ USD depending on material used to make it but honestly I think I may not do it due to cost

No way. You can do this in your garage. I used to make vacuum formed carbon fiber parts to use as Mountain Bike fairings for Speed Bike competitions. Here's how:

1. You can make the form out of virtually anything - clay, plaster, wood or even dense styrofoam.

2. Find a plastic bag big enough to fit completely around the mold.

3. Use woven carbon fiber fabric without any pre-treated resin (some come with resin in them that needs to be heated in an oven in order to activate it. Since your part will be too big to fit in an oven, you'll have to do it the harder way).

4. Apply resin to the weave. Lay the weave over your mold. Stick it all in the plastic bag and use your household or garage vac to such the air out of the bag. The bag will shrink up around the weave and the mold.

5. Don't let any air in the bag until the resin has hardened. Trim off the excess weave with a strong scissor. If there's any wraying around the edges, apply resin. Dry again. Part is done.

They may not turn out quite as smooth and perfect as if you had a closed mold professional do it, but you could make each one for only the cost of the materials which I would guess to be under $200.

If this is something you don't want to get into yourself, I have a bunch of busienss cards of guys here in Utah that could do this as well. You could call them to see if the quote you got is on track.

RS6-4dr911
February 14th, 2008, 20:43
Mold price looks pretty economical to me for a shop made product. There's a lot of labor hours that go into making something like that, making it well, that is. Even the part price looks reasonable.

No offense but, without having seen your bike fairings, I envision that they were probably fairly simple shapes. Creating the "negative" of the lip shown at the start of the thread has a lot of sharp lines - meaning deep crevices on the mold. The layup of such a shape with carbon fiber is a beast. I used to watch them layup parts of the B2 bomber with that stuff - not easy - and that was with "pre-preg" (the stuff already impregnated with resin, making it tacky). A dry layup would be even harder and the net result without very good tooling and without the aid of an autoclave (which exerts pressure on the part against the tool, not just vacuum, i.e, 50-100psi vs. 13psi, which is what is needed to press the stiff carbon fabric into the deep crevices) is sure to come out with lots of voids in need of body filler. IMHO.:addict:

Boosted-Bora
February 14th, 2008, 23:29
if you can get a me a contact for a few guys in the utah area i will be more then happy to give them a call but like 4dr911 said i think it is spot on as that is about what it cost em to do my Jetta trunk in Carbon long before thy came out.

BLITZEN
February 14th, 2008, 23:47
True, I made sure my fairings weren't that complicated and I wasn't too concerned about the finished appearance, only function. If I had a negative area to deal with, I simply made more than one part and then bonded them together. This is how racers do things. Go to an American LeMans race and see how much carbon stuff is fabbed up on every car out there from seats to dashboards to fenders and doors. If each part was $4000-$5000 bucks, not even well funded teams could afford it. You learn to do it yourself and not to care about how pretty it is.

The other point you bring up is true too. This is time consuming work and carbon composite engineers are in high demand from Aerospace and government (deep pockets). So you can pay as much for making car parts as you would pay for a good attorney or surgeon.

Companies in Utah...
Since this is right up their alley, I would start with ClosedMold Composites, (801) 467-8212.

There's also TCB Composites (801) 392-3400. You could also talk to them about making composite brake rotors, I know they've done them before.

HeadShot
February 17th, 2008, 22:13
But 4K for the mold seems painfull.
I have just picked up a spare bumper after Xmas (Insurance) and have been in the process of adding some aero to it. Right now i have just finished shaping the lip spoilers.. one to each side. I was planning on doing one set to mold on to the spare bumper to look factory finished, and one set to carbon wrap and have as an add on for the other bumper if i wanted at a later date.
After reading the posts on the mold costs i talked to a guy local to me who says he could do a Two peice mold for my parts at $400. per side. I need to glass up the shaped peices i have and prep... still seemed a hell of a lot cheaper than the 4 k for that complete look. I like my splits better anyway.
Just thought i'd mention it... although i only need the two sets i'll probably not have the molds done.
When i get done with the mod + the hood vents i'm working on i'll try and get a post together so ya can see how i did it all.
Now we are all off warranty its time to see what this baby can do - :mech:

Note: the pics are the roughs before glass and final shaping.

Boosted-Bora
February 17th, 2008, 22:16
Thats interesting im eager to see how you did this step by step

RS6-4dr911
February 17th, 2008, 22:45
Good job, might sign up for a pair. If that's your level of quality, I can't wait to see what your hood vents look like.

And while you're at it, why don't you work on a trunk lid with the spoiler built-in like the spy pic's of the new RS6 sedan.

HeadShot
February 17th, 2008, 23:39
Thanks for the positive feed back, this is my first work shaping parts but i have some great guidance from a surf repair guru. I think when finished they will really look sic.. the line with the car really flows.
I'll look into that rear deck lid... hee,hee. I was going to add the S6 running lights to my spare bumper as my fogs will be removed for more air intake. Think that would still be good???

Project time for bumper and hood 3 months from now. (I am hellish busy!)

Fonzie Audi
February 18th, 2008, 02:40
I like the spoiler - and now with the coil overs.. great job personalizing an already bad ass machine.

mmaturo
February 18th, 2008, 04:59
I really like where Headshot is headed with the lip spoilers...now that I would be very interested in. Look forward to seeing the finished pieces.

HeadShot
February 23rd, 2008, 05:52
Into the final shape of the second set of spoilers tomorrow (a slightly different look to compare) Will have pics up by Sun... looking for opinions... then to glass and final touch up before the mold process if there is enough interest.. other wise the one off sets for my two bumpers.
When i get the finished product knocked out it will be a set of Lip spoilers CF finished - attached to your bumper using epoxy (detailed instructions) - $ 800. shipped. How does that sound??? Just feeling it out for interest and to see if its worth my time on this project. I'll lock down orders after i get the first set complete and can post detailed pics... coments.
Look forward to any feed back.

HeadShot
February 23rd, 2008, 22:08
Its bigger... better air flow off the side but hangs lower and does not have the grace of the previous pics. I will include a pic of the first style with a Canard.... i liked it but everyone i asked thought it was to much.

mmaturo
February 25th, 2008, 05:26
I liked the lines of your first one better, especially as it rounded the corner it followed the line of the car better. Personally I like the idea of a subtle add to the lip in carbon which your first set seemed to do. I would be interested. $800 is slightly pushing it but if the final looks good...

HeadShot
February 26th, 2008, 01:46
Thanks for the feedback.. yeah - i liked the first ones better myself. I know LLTEK has a kit for the A6 that puts a fat lip spoiler on it but it looks overweight and cheep. $800 my be to rich i agree, but i needed to start some place and i'll adjust depending on how easy/difficult this all turns out to be. Have such a rear car and no aftermarket sucs- i'd be stoked to get something i shaped onto afew Beasts. I like to have a car with afew differeces but with the whole bumper getting worked over and the hood i think it will be a one of a kind without holding back the spoilers.
Will keep all posted after glass.
Best regards.

mmaturo
February 26th, 2008, 16:38
Lookiong forward to seeing the end result. I was just negiotiating in advance. I can't imagine putting in the time/work involved. Really surprised no one has done anything for these that is as simple as what you are doing.

Spidercat
April 3rd, 2008, 00:34
HeadShot,
How are things coming along with spoiler lips? I'm really interested in the first set. The more I look at them, the more I like them. Very subtle yet still aggressive. There's also absolutely nothing else out there except those LLTEK fat lips, and let's just say they're not for me.
Also, would you be able to get them sprayed and clear-coated at the same time you get yours done? My car's Ebony Pearl, and I can't tell if your's is Daytona or Ebony. It'd save me a trip to the body shop (I can attach them myself, but there's no way I'm going to tackle the paint). Let me know. Spoiler pickin's are a lot slimmer than I originally thought for the RS6/4.2A6!

HeadShot
April 3rd, 2008, 19:40
Still working on that project... Unfortunately i work in the oil business and get called out of town for weeks at a time really slowing down my progress on these things. I will lock down many hours this weekend and see if i can get them set up for paint.. Oh yeah.. my ride is Daytona ... srry.
A note - much easier for me to get them built to paint as apposed to the CF finish ... there is still a connection i will try for the CF help that may save the day.

And i will cut my hood up in two weeks.... Anyones thoughts on hood pins??? I was thinking the Sparco's and if i didn't like them i could always move up to aerocatch, http://aerocatch.net/?gclid=CMPq0e7Ev5ICFQsaHgodCjUBYQ
I have been told these are pretty big - anyone have em???

And yes, unfortunately pins are must - big mods to the hood and i don't need to loose it at speed :doh:

ben916
April 3rd, 2008, 19:48
Those Aerocatch hood pins are great! You could almost have a lift off hood.

Boosted-Bora
April 3rd, 2008, 20:04
There is a guy local to me with them and although they are big the blend in very well with CF and you cant see them untill you are right up on the car

Erik
April 3rd, 2008, 21:41
12THEAD - pretty nice signature you got there pal. :D

HeadShot
April 4th, 2008, 15:48
Thxs.. When i picked up the plates at the DMV the guy had to ask - Says no one there had worked it out. Hee,hee.. just as well - they are a bit restrictive on plates in Cali.
FYI... its actually a quote from a B grade horror movie made in New Zealand in the 80's. Classic at the time. :dig:

RS6-4dr911
April 4th, 2008, 20:54
Ok, I give up - I don't get the 12THEAD sig or license plates gig. What's up?

Couldn't google it either.

Spidercat
April 4th, 2008, 21:21
12THEAD= One to the head= 1 shot to the head, the only way to be sure that your target is dead (body armor/vests etc can be problematic).
Am I right, HeadShot? I had thought you were a former sniper. I never saw the movie.
By the way, let me know about the splitters- I'll take a set for paint (not a big CF fan on sedans) when you're ready.

ben916
April 4th, 2008, 21:43
12THEAD= One to the head= 1 shot to the head, the only way to be sure that your target is dead (body armor/vests etc can be problematic).
Am I right, HeadShot? I had thought you were a former sniper. I never saw the movie.
By the way, let me know about the splitters- I'll take a set for paint (not a big CF fan on sedans) when you're ready.

This would be my guess, one shot one kill, $.30 lead vitamin...

HeadShot
April 5th, 2008, 03:15
You got it baby... one shot to the head - saves on bullets and health insurance.
Nice:cheers:

ben916
April 5th, 2008, 21:13
You got it baby... one shot to the head - saves on bullets and health insurance.
Nice:cheers:

Er that is the short list...

among other things, immigration on the southern border...

HeadShot
April 8th, 2008, 05:16
Nearly done... i have finished the final shape..surfboard body filler over everything then i resanded it all back to perfection. Now top glass and buff then off to the mold process.
*note to self - a dust mask is never a bad idea
:doh:

DuckWingDuck
April 8th, 2008, 06:38
LOL! Ya, face mask when sanding is always a good idea.

:D

Michelin
April 8th, 2008, 16:44
That lip is so pretty :heart:

HeadShot
April 21st, 2008, 01:55
On with THICK double sided (you may note gaps... adhesive would not case this) just to see size to car - when white they looked too big so i sprayed them out before molding to check blend.. Perfect.

Note - 1 of these pics was for drive way clearance... from the street up. Not too bad.

Spidercat
May 7th, 2008, 22:56
Looks nice! PM sent.

LU-RS6
May 8th, 2008, 00:18
Very nice work there!

If you have free time and money test it in a windtunnel :jlol:

RS6-4dr911
May 8th, 2008, 04:00
Some pieces of white yarn and a chase car with a video are an easy "rolling bed" wind tunnel to see what's happening visually. A table top smooth road, a stiffened yard stick, chalk/grease pencil marks on tires and body and a jury-rigged camera mount could possibly verify a change in ride height at speed, then a static load applied at rest to create the same drop in height could approximate downforce created (or lift! if it's an "oopsie"design that simply looks good).:mech:

HeadShot
May 8th, 2008, 04:33
when all is done i'm off to the salt flats to do some speed runs.. i have a great camera for the task and the lips i'm doing will be bolt on so i can remove during testing comparisions. Thats a ways off yet but something to think about for sure. (my opinion on form.. there will be extra downforce generated even though the side profile - low pressure will kill this slightly / the front surface will be adding more than enough) I had considered a cannard set up to run on the sides to aid in corners but i don't track yet and everyone here hated the idea. (ofcourse i have some in the works anyway / there just not on the top of the list right now.)