PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I have an RS6. (long)

Hy Octane
September 20th, 2007, 21:04
Well, after 3 1/2 years, 42,000 miles and 17 tries, I finally have a fully operational RS6. Having written a letter to the president of AoA complaining that no-one in the USA knew how to fix these cars and it was shameful that they were not responding to customer complaints (it was alot more than this but thats the gist of it), they replied by sending me their top technician in the USA with the instructions to do whatever it takes to make me happy.
After dealing with several regional techs who didnt know squat, here was a fellow who really knows his stuff. He diagnosed my DRC as being improperly repaired (right in front of the regional tech who pronounced it perfect and refused to do any more repairs on it) and also decided that the whining sound coming from my rear differential was due to a faulty unit and this was also to be replaced. He personally did the repairs and informed me that the DRC system was running at a pressure of 10 bar before repair and now it was almost at 13 bar after repair (system should be between 12-14 bar). While its still not quite as firm as it came from the factory new, its the closest its been after 5 tries. The car was getting only about 8 mpg for months and had a horrible vibration .. shifting was rough and there was alotta drag while coasting. The new differential solved this and now MPG is over 12 in the city.. never before did it run this well. They also replaced the instrument cluster as it had lost a few leds..There were two cracked rubber bushings at the mount points for the rear diff (might want to check yours).. Oh yeah,, we dont quite know when or how, but the boost problem seems to be solved. It now no longer goes to total loss of boost when hot, but will do as designed by reducing boost to first stage when it gets too hot. We did discover that the car is not supposed to return to full boost by itself after it cools down by driving. If you suffer a stage 1 boost cut because of heat, you have to cycle the key ( thats right, you have to pull over and stop/start the motor) in order to reset the system
and get the power back. We think that the reason mine was cutting all boost had something to do with a faulty thermostat that failed and was replaced in the climate control system but its a best guess. There was also a rubber boot cover that was torn in the steering rack/control arm area causing the car to not center itself well. This was replaced and she is now straight and true.
I'm glad I stuck with it .. I knew it was only a car and if we could find somebody who knew it inside out, we could replace whatever was faulty and get her running right. I almost gave up and asked for a refund a few times, but i'm not a quitter. It has finally paid off. So now, its off to enjoy this machine the way it was intended.. finally. :addict:

ben916
September 20th, 2007, 22:20
AWESOME and somewhat scary for those of us (me...) who don't own one but drool all the time about one.

Can I buy it from you now? :hahahehe:

BLITZEN
September 20th, 2007, 22:38
Well, after 3 1/2 years, 42,000 miles and 17 tries, I finally have a fully operational RS6. Having written a letter to the president of AoA complaining that no-one in the USA knew how to fix these cars and it was shameful that they were not responding to customer complaints (it was alot more than this but thats the gist of it), they replied by sending me their top technician in the USA with the instructions to do whatever it takes to make me happy...... So now, its off to enjoy this machine the way it was intended.. finally. :addict:

That's awesome! I'm seriously impressed that AoA stepped up in that way to help you. I would love to see your letter that inspired them to do so. Did you threaten them or was it more respectful? Regardless, it's good to know that they will go to that extreme to maintain their integrity with their customers. Who was the tech and where is his usual shop?

Congratulations. Enjoy! :rs6kiss:

aarong
September 20th, 2007, 23:53
this is what makes me apprehensive about owning an RS6...I didn't (couldn't) buy one new, and I...don't know any better. Mine's around the same mileage, and I couldn't tell you if the car is supposed to be acting this way or not. it's plenty fast...but lately (after 5K miles) it seems like gears 1-2-3 are shifting quite rough. from the few descriptions I've read here I'm wondering if my rear diff is beginning to go. My ABS and ESP lights go on at random, and the

all of this wouldn't be an issue to me since I've got a year left on the warranty, but of all the RS6 'techs' I've come across in Los Angeles...none have seemed all that clued in. I start asking specific questions and they start stuttering and coming up with clearly BS answers.

I guess that's why I'd love to meet fellow RS6ers in socal so I have some kind of reference point :rs6kiss:

Benman
September 21st, 2007, 00:50
Paul:cheers:

Awesome news. I am really impressed that AoA stepped up vs telling you to pound sand. That is such good news. Couldn't be happier for ya'.

Ben:addict:

LIRS6
September 21st, 2007, 05:08
Having followed your trials and tribulations on this board and AW, all I can say is that I am very happy for you - enjoy!

Erik
September 21st, 2007, 07:02
I feel your pain, but congratulations on getting there finally!

Ruergard
September 21st, 2007, 10:40
Oh, it really has beena hard way.. but it's worth the wait! :addict:

Impressive that Audi made that for you, congratulations! Enjoy the beast!

got boost
September 21st, 2007, 13:18
Congrats!

great post!

:rs6kiss:

DuckWingDuck
September 21st, 2007, 14:50
As everyone else has said, great that you were able to finally get your vehicle diagnosed and repaired but I noticed that you were in LA. I know many of the Audi techs at Commonwealth in Santa Ana personally (where I bought my RS6), did you come down to Orange County to get your car taken a look at?

Hy Octane
September 21st, 2007, 18:55
As everyone else has said, great that you were able to finally get your vehicle diagnosed and repaired but I noticed that you were in LA. I know many of the Audi techs at Commonwealth in Santa Ana personally (where I bought my RS6), did you come down to Orange County to get your car taken a look at?

I have used Beverly Hills Porsche/Audi exclusively for the last 17 years. They have a service manager named Tim who is the absolute best. Highly recommend them,, The mechanics have all been there just as long, so they know the products well and have RS6 certs.

aarong
September 21st, 2007, 19:25
I have used Beverly Hills Porsche/Audi exclusively for the last 17 years. They have a service manager named Tim who is the absolute best. Highly recommend them,, The mechanics have all been there just as long, so they know the products well and have RS6 certs.

sweet. now I know where to take mine for its 45K maintenance...

FullThrottleNYC
September 21st, 2007, 23:07
I joined the club today...bought a Daytona grey w/46k miles off an Audi showroom floor in eastern PA. Still under original warranty until 10/07 and I bought the extended Audi coverage until 10/10 or 100k miles.

I'm still smiling from the ride home to NYC...can anyone recc a good radar detector? Valentine One? Passport 9500i?

carreracup03
September 21st, 2007, 23:22
I hardwired Passport 9500i and it has worked great.

Aronis
September 22nd, 2007, 01:05
Excellent

What's his name and phone number.

Mike

DuckWingDuck
September 24th, 2007, 15:24
I'm still smiling from the ride home to NYC...can anyone recc a good radar detector? Valentine One? Passport 9500i?

I've got a hardwired Beltronics Pro RX75.

moldowan
September 26th, 2007, 08:06

a little birdy told me ernie smerski (sp?) owner of highland park audi is buying Beverley Hills audi for $200 million dollars!!!!
Hope he keeps up the good work you have enjoyed there! I know there mech. in Highland park don't know squat about the rs6's

India Whiskey Charlie
September 27th, 2007, 00:50
a little birdy told me ernie smerski (sp?) owner of highland park audi is buying Beverley Hills audi for $200 million dollars!!!!
While the rest of your rumor may come true, the $200M figure is highly unlikely. No single dealer of any kind is worth that much. Even if it includes property owned.

Hy Octane
September 27th, 2007, 18:25
Hope he keeps up the good work you have enjoyed there! I know there mech. in Highland park don't know squat about the rs6's

Just another rumor. there have been many over the years.

India Whiskey Charlie
September 27th, 2007, 19:27
Just another rumor. there have been many over the years.
An ownership change for Beverly Hills Audi is imminent. As to who will be the new owner is still up in the air. There is also a new location that is being prepped by Audi on a VW owned lot in West L.A.

Hy Octane
September 28th, 2007, 00:01
Its right around the corner from me. Its not new. they are remodeling and expanding. There have been "imminent "sale rumors for 15 years . True, the owner wouldnt mind selling it, but Audi has alot to say about who can own it and they shy away from one owner having two franchises in one area. We shall see.

DuckWingDuck
September 28th, 2007, 07:13
Audi dealerships are always on the move! Commonwealth in Santa Ana has moved a few times in recent years.