PDA

View Full Version : Video: Audi RS4 vs. new M3

Erik
September 13th, 2007, 18:23
It's in swedish but tire smoke is an universal language...nice film!

http://www.automotorsport.se/tv/?m=11121

t urbo
September 13th, 2007, 18:36
Nice find, didn't catch much of what they were saying tho.
That M3 is growing on me but boy the interior is ugly.

Rutkowsky
September 13th, 2007, 19:59
fantastic find, one of the best comparison movies i've watched so far

Erik
September 13th, 2007, 21:05
Yes, it's really good. Top Gear quality, but lower budget.

Leadfoot
September 13th, 2007, 22:19
I like the way they not only showed the M3 drifting which I might add it did easily but also the RS4 did some lovely ones too.

Maybe we need to send their e-mail address to RussianM3_dude and hope they can give him some advice on how to drive a Quattro. :lovl:

Erik, do you happen to have that handy.;)

HKS786
September 14th, 2007, 08:45
I like the way they not only showed the M3 drifting which I might add it did easily but also the RS4 did some lovely ones too.

Maybe we need to send their e-mail address to RussianM3_dude and hope they can give him some advice on how to drive a Quattro. :lovl:

:lovl: +1

It's good to see that the M3 cant completely shake off the RS4. I mean, the RS4 has been around for a long time now and some people have rated it better than the new M3! Also, it seems that the S5 puts up a good fight against the M3 too, just imagine what the next RS4 and RS5 will do to the M3!

Another thing that I noticed is that the RS4, despite being older than the M3, still has great presence when next to the new M3, look:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/J78628/Untitled-1-4.jpg

wild-rs4-man2
September 14th, 2007, 09:20
great find !!!

must say the RS4 really look the part !! and the interior of the BMW is terriable, look like a cheap Jap car

Well done Audi on a car which is 2 years behind,,, and still wins against its biggest competitor

Rutkowsky
September 14th, 2007, 09:34
comparing 2 cars within 2-3 years of production is fine by me.. we have e60 M5 vs all new RS6 but when b7 RS4 came out and you see all the head to head tests with a 5-6 year old (then) design of e46 M3 and people were raving about how RS4 crushed M pwr, makes you think.. Ok, so i had higher expectations of new e92 M3 but it also shows how good the b7 RS4 really is

masa^^
September 14th, 2007, 09:56
Very nice vid! Sad that I didn“t understand a word of it :(
But maybe it is enough to see some nice slides from two very good cars..

AuditudeA642
September 14th, 2007, 14:27
The RS4 is a great car and I coudn't imagine the M3 being a better performer. The RS4 is the only car that i have driven that even in 6th gear pulls at 60mph.

buyalemon
September 14th, 2007, 15:42
They can't understand how the M3 can be hevvier than the RS4 since this V8 should be lighter than the old six cyl ...RS4 has 4WD M3 has carbonfibre roof ...very weird!

Both have the same performance figs 0-200 in around 16 sec!

"It's not a question of which is the best car, rather which car suits you best"

Sanfrid
September 14th, 2007, 17:32

For us Swedes thats an easy question to answer as we only have like 35 days without rain or snow....:rs4kiss:

KK265
September 14th, 2007, 21:42

Like this:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6484676331010497173&q=RS4&total=333&start=0&num=10&so=1&type=search&plindex=0

Leadfoot
September 14th, 2007, 22:37
Like this:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6484676331010497173&q=RS4&total=333&start=0&num=10&so=1&type=search&plindex=0

KK265,

I was there. ;)

Leadfoot
September 14th, 2007, 22:49
Dual_drifting_with_RS4s (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6484676331010497173&q=RS4&total=333&start=0&num=10&so=1&type=search&plindex=0)

To try an do this with a rwd at the speed these guys are doing at would end in a disaster.

Leadfoot
September 14th, 2007, 23:01
Maxing a B7 RS4 to 305km/h (190mph).

Quick_RS4 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VH7obaj5Ekw) :bigeyes:

Audiphile
September 15th, 2007, 03:44
Check the latest issue of European Car Magazine where they compared the RS4 vs. the M3. Without going into details, they liked the steering, handling, and overall performance of the RS4 over the M3.

buyalemon
September 15th, 2007, 09:06
For us Swedes thats an easy question to answer as we only have like 35 days without rain or snow....:rs4kiss:

Indeed ...! I think Jeremy Clarksson really had a point when he said the RS4 was almost too good to beat for the new M3 1,5 years before it was launched :thumb:

Leadfoot
September 15th, 2007, 09:27
I think the best way to describe each car (RS4 and M3) is the letter "E".

In the case of the RS4 it stands for efficiency, getting the job done in the most efficient way regardless of the conditions. No machine in it's class can cover the same ground in all weathers and with as minimal fuss, but this efficiency can be also classed as boring to some who want to feel that like they had a hand it the process instead of only the car.

In the case of the M3 it stands for exuberance, and no car in it's class can match the way it can entertain and place a smile on your face, but with this smile can come a sting in the tail because while it can put that smile there it can in the same breath take it away just as quickly and replace it with terror, especially in slippery conditions.

Both have their plus and minus points, it's just a case of finding out which you happen to be on. :vhmmm:

Toto89
September 15th, 2007, 16:00
Maxing a B7 RS4 to 305km/h (190mph).

Quick_RS4 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VH7obaj5Ekw) :bigeyes:

If that green thing on the dashbord is a GPS, the RS4 is much faster than we thought. According to the factory details, it's end is at 280kph, but this says much more.

Sanfrid
September 15th, 2007, 16:12
In the black edition I have the speed limiter that usually is set to 250 km/h is set to 280km/h.
As soon as I have gone through the break in process I will test that limiter.:revs:

Leadfoot
September 15th, 2007, 16:55
I have it on good authority that all new S and RS model will travel through this speed limiter that all of them are meant to have. There is a brief halt in process before it continues over the 250km/h to what ever speed the car is capable of.

I wish someone here who happens to own a S5 and newer could possibly try this out sometime and see if this is indeed true.

mbolo
September 16th, 2007, 19:20
Sanfrid:

Mine's delimited by Quattro Gmbh to 280kmph too. You shouldn't have any trouble reaching or exceeding that limit though. :incar:

cazorp
September 16th, 2007, 20:46
I'm gonna pop 300 km/h in Sanfrids RS4! :mech:

(Now he'll never gonna lend me the car..)

KK265
September 17th, 2007, 12:54
New video:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbnjJAkxB40"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbnjJAkxB40" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

SoulBladeZA
September 18th, 2007, 09:55
They can't understand how the M3 can be hevvier than the RS4 since this V8 should be lighter than the old six cyl ...RS4 has 4WD M3 has carbonfibre roof ...very weird!

Both have the same performance figs 0-200 in around 16 sec!

It's not heavier. A fully specced M3 with all the options and a full tank of fuel was just tested by Auto Magazine to be exactly 1.6 tons.

Speedou
September 18th, 2007, 12:53
Yeah, BMW and Audi are using different style to weight the cars. That's why it looks very similar, but it isn't.

7:53 RS6
September 21st, 2007, 07:36
As far as i know the new M3 is reported to Horst laping it in supertest on the ring, well it came in on 8.03min(its said to be cup tiers)

This is not officall so i cant say its 100%

I guy just spoke to Horst on the ring and this was the info, well soon we know moore.

Leadfoot
September 21st, 2007, 15:38
If this time is proven to be true what does it not say about the M6 :rolleyes:, it not only have more power and torque but also have a similar CF roof panel and similar COG to the M3.

I reckon BMW have shot themselves in the foot with this time because I can't believe a single person would want to chose the much more expensive and slower M6 over the cheaper and dynamically superior M3 which also just happens to have much better interior space to boot.

buyalemon
September 21st, 2007, 16:24
8,03 is a great time indeed ..not really unexpected ...7:53 csl use to keep record of my guesses do you remember my guesss of the M3??

I've heard 8,10 from swedish sources ...but I guess that's more of a general underestimated time perhaps! Weather and tires are big issues ...wasn't it some Audi driver who claimed the RS4 would do 7:55 without problems! Not really netrual sources ...but anyway!

HKS786
September 21st, 2007, 16:48
If this time is proven to be true what does it not say about the M6 :rolleyes:, it not only have more power and torque but also have a similar CF roof panel and similar COG to the M3.

I reckon BMW have shot themselves in the foot with this time because I can't believe a single person would want to chose the much more expensive and slower M6 over the cheaper and dynamically superior M3 which also just happens to have much better interior space to boot.

I've thought of this for a long time. Even the 335i is a better option than the 6 series. Firstly because it's cheaper and looks better. You also get great performance and MORE interior space like you said.

Also, the M3 looks better than the M6 and has all the other pros like you pointed out. Not to mention that the 335i/M3 are newer designs on the market and the 6 has been around for a while now. Personally, I've never really liked the 6...

Edit: that by no way means that I love the new 3. I do like it but I prefer the A5/S5. Also, I've seen the new M3 and I'm sure the RS5 will look better (S5 looks like a beast) and perform better!

One only has to look as far as RS4/M3 comparisons to see that the M3 cant completely shake off the RS4. Some people prefer the RS4 actually. Also, the RS5 will have a better chassis and the engine will be sweet. I'm SURE it will kill the M3!

Leadfoot
September 21st, 2007, 16:58
Yeah, not to get too far away from the main subject, but this is the problem all manufactures face every time they bring out a new model, if they make it too good then it distracts from the models farther above it like the M3 has done to the M6 and it they don't try and make it the best it can possilbe be then chances are it won't beat it's direct rivals.

I sincerely hope the M3 is this quick because it will make Audi and the other try that little hard to compete or better still beat it's abilities and that has to be great for us the customer.:looking:

Speedou
September 22nd, 2007, 09:36

No, no and NO! M6 doesn't even try to be any fastest rocket at the ring. It's fucking fast GT car. The one you wanna take for your European trip.

HKS786
September 22nd, 2007, 14:41
No, no and NO! M6 doesn't even try to be any fastest rocket at the ring. It's fucking fast GT car. The one you wanna take for your European trip.

Yeah but the problem is that the M3 actually has more interior space too! Also, it's just as comfortable...

Speedou
September 22nd, 2007, 16:44
Yeah but the problem is that the M3 actually has more interior space too! Also, it's just as comfortable...

Whaaat? Have you been sitting in M3 Coupe and M6? There is now way more roome. Not inside or in the boot. Have been in both and those are in different class. Also on European trip. Which one is faster? Wake up!

HKS786
September 22nd, 2007, 19:30
Whaaat? Have you been sitting in M3 Coupe and M6? There is now way more roome. Not inside or in the boot. Have been in both and those are in different class. Also on European trip. Which one is faster? Wake up!
<O:p</O:p
<O:p
I’m sorry. You are indeed right. I thought I heard the new 3 has more interior space than the 6. I looked on the net and here’s what I found out:

BMW 6 series: http://autos.yahoo.com/bmw_6_series_650i_coupe-specs/?p=int (http://autos.yahoo.com/bmw_6_series_650i_coupe-specs/?p=int)
BMW 3 series: http://autos.yahoo.com/bmw_3_series_coupe_335i-specs/?p=int (http://autos.yahoo.com/bmw_3_series_coupe_335i-specs/?p=int)

<O:p
Basically, the 3 has slightly less front headroom but more rear headroom. Front legroom is roughly the same, but the 3 has more rear legroom. The 3 has less front shoulder room than the 6 but has more rear shoulder room. Therefore, yes I was wrong but I think it’s interesting that the 3 does infact have more space in the rear than the 6 series.

Leadfoot
September 23rd, 2007, 19:58

Sorry for getting you upset mate.:0: But is the M3 not a GT car or have I totally miss BMW's point with this car, after all it is based on the humble 3 series which the last time I looked wasn't the ultimate supercar.

I might be wrong but I won't consider an M6 if it was slower around corners and could only win a race if it was no a motorway. GT or not it is the ultimate BMW at the minute and that title should mean a lot more than just price and power in my book.

buyalemon
September 23rd, 2007, 20:36
It's not heavier. A fully specced M3 with all the options and a full tank of fuel was just tested by Auto Magazine to be exactly 1.6 tons.

Well ...according to Automotorsport Sweden the M3 is heavier! But that's just some nitpicking ...the most interesting is that the RS4 can keep up to 200 and at the same suffer from more powerloss than the M3! Sound like better gearing ...M3 should be faster from 200 than!!

Mmm
September 23rd, 2007, 21:05
S6 is a waste of money as the RS4 is faster around the Ring than it. Well actually the S7 or whatever the 2-door version of the S6 will be.

Notice how you have different segments for different cars?

Leadfoot
September 23rd, 2007, 21:25
S6 is a waste of money as the RS4 is faster around the Ring than it. Well actually the S7 or whatever the 2-door version of the S6 will be.

Notice how you have different segments for different cars?

The argument as for the S6 vs the RS4 isn't valid in the same way as the M3 vs M6 is, firstly the difference in price is only £5k not £30K and the S6 provides much more interior space where as the M6 has actually less.

But if the RS5 is quicker than the RS7 and has the price and size/space problems as the M6 has then I will once again comment in just to same manner as I have here.:looking:

Mmm
September 24th, 2007, 07:32
The M6 is based on the 6 series which is the coupe version of the 5 series. The M3 is a 3-series. Note different series. Go to www.bmw.com (http://www.bmw.com) & download the specs & dimensions for each car. Don't believe what you hear in the pub, download the manufacturer info. The 6 series is much larger than the M3. That's why its a 6 series. Manufacturer's don't go thumbsucking when they make a platform for a series. There's a lot of market research before that.

http://www.bmw.co.za/products/automobiles/m/m3coupe/images/m3_td.gifhttp://www.bmw.co.za/products/automobiles/m/m6coupe/images/m6coupe_td.gif

Leadfoot
September 24th, 2007, 07:54
The M6 is based on the 6 series which is the coupe version of the 5 series. The M3 is a 3-series. Note different series. Go to www.bmw.com (http://www.bmw.com) & download the specs & dimensions for each car. Don't believe what you hear in the pub, download the manufacturer info. The 6 series is much larger than the M3. That's why its a 6 series. Manufacturer's don't go thumbsucking when they make a platform for a series. There's a lot of market research before that.

http://www.bmw.co.za/products/automobiles/m/m3coupe/images/m3_td.gifhttp://www.bmw.co.za/products/automobiles/m/m6coupe/images/m6coupe_td.gif

Re-check your own diagrams and you will see that the seat positions are different, the M3 has more rear interior space which was the point of my argument. Why buy more for a car which is not only slower on the track but also has less space for passengers.

I think we both have a different opinion on what value for money means, that's all.:thumb:

HKS786
September 24th, 2007, 09:02
Re-check your own diagrams and you will see that the seat positions are different, the M3 has more rear interior space which was the point of my argument. Why buy more for a car which is not only slower on the track but also has less space for passengers.

I think we both have a different opinion on what value for money means, that's all.:thumb:

Yeah I gotta agree with you on this one. I even pulled the figured for everyone to see. Yes the M3 might have slightly less space up front, but it has more in the rear for passengers. So far, this has been a good thing. Most people have been making positive comments about the new 3 series' rear space. Therefore, the M3 could actually be a better alternative to the M6. I know that a lot of people will consider it over the M6...

Here's comparison figures for you guys to see the interior space:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/J78628/Untitled-1-5.jpg

Mmm
September 24th, 2007, 15:01
Nobody buys a Coupe for rear legroom. That's why the saloon exists. What the hell is the point of this discussion?

Leadfoot
September 24th, 2007, 15:17
Nobody buys a Coupe for rear legroom. That's why the saloon exists. What the hell is the point of this discussion?

What a silly statement. How wrong could you be, most coupes are bought by people who either have children/grand children or they require the rear seating occasionally. If you didn't need the rear seats you will be buying a proper sportscar or a coupe.

I have three kids and have chose a S5, this was purely done because I wanted the two door look and it has ample space for my needs. I would consider the 6series because it's rear space was zero when my seat was set for me. I think the M6 is another one of BMW's niche cars like the X6 which have little purpose in the real world.

Mmm
September 24th, 2007, 15:40
C'man, you can't be serious? Coupe's are bought by single people. I have owned many. Getting a child into a car seat is a mission in a coupe. It makes no sense. Coupe's are bought for looks. and if you gonna' put children in the back of a Coupe then the rear legroom isn't really going to matter is it? It's only if you are going to be transporting adults that rear legroom matters.

Look at the kind of people that buy big GT's like the M6, Jaguar XKR, Aston Martin, etc. They are a certain market & they ain't buying it to transport adults in the back.

But I still don't understand the point of discussing this.

HKS786
September 24th, 2007, 16:11
What a silly statement. How wrong could you be, most coupes are bought by people who either have children/grand children or they require the rear seating occasionally. If you didn't need the rear seats you will be buying a proper sportscar or a coupe.

I have three kids and have chose a S5, this was purely done because I wanted the two door look and it has ample space for my needs. I would consider the 6series because it's rear space was zero when my seat was set for me. I think the M6 is another one of BMW's niche cars like the X6 which have little purpose in the real world.

Yeah I wont even dignify it with a response it's so stupid. I agree on the M6. On first look you'll think it's great. It's big and imposing and has presence. But then you realise it doesnt have as much space as you'd like and the M3 is a better alternative on many levels. I agree BMW shot themselves in the foot...

Mmm
September 24th, 2007, 18:57
What's so stupid? The M6 has more room for the driver & passenger than an M3. If you worried about the rear then buy the M5. I don't get it. Please explain who buys a coupe for rear legroom. Most of the M6's competitors you can't even get a kid in the back. But it doesn't hurt the sales of these big GT's.

Leadfoot
September 24th, 2007, 22:28
What's so stupid? The M6 has more room for the driver & passenger than an M3. If you worried about the rear then buy the M5. I don't get it. Please explain who buys a coupe for rear legroom. Most of the M6's competitors you can't even get a kid in the back. But it doesn't hurt the sales of these big GT's.

The M3 can accommodate a 6'6" frame easy so are you saying that the M6 is for people taller than that.:doh: I think you are missing the point of this argument, the M3 betters the M6 on the track so it's the better handling car, can accommodate 4 adults which the M6 can't and it £30K less, so I ask again who in there right mind would pay the extra for an M6. I sure as hack wouldn't and believe quite a few would follow my lead on this.

The 6series and M6 was a money making exercise, nothing more. It abilities on the track says as much, it's only 3 seconds quicker than the M5 which doesn't have cup tyres so clearly all of their efforts to shorten the chassis and fit CF roof did nothing to it's handling and only allowed they to ask another £18K more for the mugs that were willing to pay this. As a product of engineering excellence it is very much found wanting in my opinion.

Leadfoot
September 24th, 2007, 22:39
Look at the kind of people that buy big GT's like the M6, Jaguar XKR, Aston Martin, etc. They are a certain market & they ain't buying it to transport adults in the back.

Jaguar don't make another model like the XK which is the equivalent to the 3 series so if you want a coupe and it has to be a Jaguar then there is only one option. As for Aston they don't offer any model with rear seats so it not valid to be discussed other than the fact that it is in the same price bracket and nothing more.

I bet you if the Cayman had have offered rear seats and more space than the 997, Porsche would have had a problem selling the 997 in the same numbers as present.

P.S.

You need to check how much percentage wise the 6series has dropped since the 3series coupe was launched.;) Then you might agree with my point.:D

HKS786
September 24th, 2007, 23:14
Leadie can u tell us how much 6series sales have dropped? I knew it would happen...

Speedou
September 25th, 2007, 15:05
Leadfoot, I wasn't pissed of. Just mean that 6-series is bigger car. It rear seat is little bit smaller and not so nice to sit anyway. Still can't see the same thing than you. M6 is totally different style car. And no suprise for me that it is slower around the ring.

I'm just saying there is nothing suprising for many people. You are just seeing that wrongly (well, it seems to me like that). If BMW would have wanted to do M6 faster, it would be lighter and totally different kind of car. M6 is very fast around the corners. But still the M3 is the one you pick if you want to track your car. You won't feel your self bored in the M6 when you are driving small roads ;)

Leadfoot
September 25th, 2007, 22:11
OK, look at it from a different angle. Who do you think is feeling very smug at the minute BMW for producing what they felt was the ultimate GT car at £80K or Audi for making the R8, the car every reviewer is saying has re-wrote the rule book. And not only does it make the M6 look and feel inadequate but the M3, it little baby brother is doing the same thing.

If you think people aren't dissatisfied with the M6 then why is it losing up to 46% of it's value in the first year. Yep you read it right 46%.:bigeyes: The M5 is £18K less to start with and it is still worth £5K more after one year.

P.S.

And this was before BMW brought out the E92 M3, I wonder how much it will lose now. It might be a GT car but it clearly isn't what the customer's are wanting.

Rutkowsky
September 26th, 2007, 02:07
As far as M6 is concerned, i'll never get over the fact that it has less room than my current e46 M3 :w: Over at Mtorque forum there is a number of M3 owners at 6'6" so it is suited to big guys as well. I am 6'1" and weigh 20 stones at the mo. (i'm a strongman and arm wrestler) and fit in ok. Rear seats are just pathetic in M6 for a car of this presence, i drove it, i was a passenger but could never fit in the back. I admire the technology of the car but that is a subject for another thread. Ok, so it is the fastest straight liner of all M but for me there's a new "animal", e92 M3, the best of all M machines so far IMO. I do agree that you buy Coupe's for looks but if it was just that category of thinking, I'd not be driving 2+2 car, it'd be just a 2 seater hardcore performance car. And i for one, don't care how good the 2 seaters are, for me, it must have sufficient space in the back, it is very important therefore M6 is out of question in my case. The new M3 has very good space in the rear, more than enough in front, very fast, excellent grip, good power low down rev. range, pulls like a train up to 8400 rpm, good looks (the rear is still growing on me as is the interior..) well, i should have M-DCT in end of April 08 ;)

Leadfoot
September 26th, 2007, 07:53
It's nice to see my reasoning has some agreement with an M3 owner. Thought to tell you the truth Rutkowsky, being both a strongman and arm wrestler I would agree with anything you said.:blush:

Rutkowsky
September 26th, 2007, 11:38
It's nice to see my reasoning has some agreement with an M3 owner. Thought to tell you the truth Rutkowsky, being both a strongman and arm wrestler I would agree with anything you said.:blush:

:hihi:

We all have little secrets

:cheers: