PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a used RS6 - please help

335Coupe
September 13th, 2007, 04:29
Hi guys,

I'm looking into trading my 07 BMW 335 coupe for a used low mileage RS6 (I want a larger car better suited for winter). The only thing I'm afraid of is running costs. My car right now is basically free of maintenance costs - BMW's program. The Audi, however, does not have any of that. Also, on the Carfax report for the particular car, there are very many service visits reported (every 2-3 months at least), at the same time this dealership seems to report all their service visits as other cars that were bought from it also have many service visits (but about every 3-4 months on average, not 2-3 months). I am willing to spend the 45-50k that a certified car costs, but how much do you think I can expect to spend per year on all maintenance? What service is required? Are there common problems that are not covered by the warranty (as certified car)? Does this car hav wear parts that need replacement more often than average? Much :mech: is no good.

In advance, thank you very much for your help. Hope to hear some great input as you guys seem very knowledgeable.

Andy

BLITZEN
September 13th, 2007, 07:31
Andy,
Welcome to RS6.com. I recently started a thread asking this exact question. I suggest you search. To sum, what I learned is that I need to budget about $1000 for every 3000 miles I drive, and that's with a low mileage CPO car. If that's too high a hurdle, I would suggest a 335xi sedan.

Keep in mind, while the price of a used RS6 might be around the equivalent of a new 335i, it's really a $90,000 car. Maintenance costs will be similar to other $90,000 cars. Performance is also at the $90,000 level.

:addict:

335Coupe
September 13th, 2007, 15:46
Well, would it be $1000 for every 3k miles including gas or should I add gas cost on top of that? I drive about 15k miles per year, so that would make $5k per year running cost including gas, which sounds ok.
What service and how often is needed anyway? Do I need to change oil every 3k miles at $200 per oil change? Brake pads every 30-40k for about $500? Do rotors warp easily? Tires wear fast (I heard the Porcshe Cayene has some serious tire wear problems where tires need replacement every 10k miles sometimes)?
I test drove the car yesterday and loved it. I just really don't want to buy it and then find out that I cannot afford it half a year ahead, though I do want it :hahahehe: .
If it is actually $1k for every 3k miles only for maintenance, what kind of maintenance is needed that costs that kind of money?

AuditudeA642
September 13th, 2007, 16:11
I think 1000 every 3k miles is a little much. I had a 2001 A6 4.2 with many mods and didn't find my self doing anything but Changing Oil, putting gas and doing brakes. Nothing seemed to happen to the car in 7 1/2 years. Now i have the new RS4 and it is a tremendous automobile. Its not "huge" but my family of 4 with my son who is 6' 3" can all go out together for a ride of 3-4 hours comfortably. The RS6 is also a tremendous machine and got to say it is also great having driven a couple. Good Luck and you won't regret switching to the 4 Rings.

BLITZEN
September 13th, 2007, 17:28
Well, would it be $1000 for every 3k miles including gas or should I add gas cost on top of that? What service and how often is needed anyway? Do I need to change oil every 3k miles at $200 per oil change? Brake pads every 30-40k for about $500? Do rotors warp easily? Tires wear fast (I heard the Porcshe Cayene has some serious tire wear problems where tires need replacement every 10k miles sometimes)? If it is actually $1k for every 3k miles only for maintenance, what kind of maintenance is needed that costs that kind of money?

Nearly all those questions are answered on the thread I mentioned. Didn't you search it? I think it's called "Maintenance Budget Help" or something like that.

With humble respect to Auditude (the guy knows a lot about Audis), I wouldn't put much stock in his post on this thread or the other one I'm referring to, because I've found there's a HUGE difference in maintenance costs between a modded 4.2 A6 and an RS6, or an RS4 vs. RS6 for that matter. Namely, neither a 4.2A6 or an RS4 have a V8TT which means they don't require a $3000 timing belt change every 35,000 miles. Nor do they possess 8-piston Brembo brakes with front and rear vented rotors that are separated from the hubs on spokes. Those b---es are expensive!

No, I'm not including gas in that estimate. You'll need at least 200 gallons of gas for 3000 miles so that's another ~$600. But mileage, tire wear, and brake wear all depend heavily on your driving.

Again, I want to respect Auditude. I bet his A6 is a screamer! However, I'm trying to help you with my experience and what I've learned from others who own RS6's.
:mech:

ruxprncd
September 14th, 2007, 01:54
Here's my conservative (slightly high) take on maintenance costs for each ~15,000 miles: 1 major service - average about $1800. High-end tires (such as PS2) $1200. Brake pads $500 - more like $200 if you go aftermarket. Oil changes $500 - these are $250 a pop. That's about $4000. If you add misc stuff like possibility of rotors ($1000) you're close to the $1000 per 3000 miles mentioned above. On the other hand, if your tires & brakes last longer you might get it down to $1000 per ~5000 miles.

Incredible car though!

335Coupe
September 14th, 2007, 02:23
Thank you all for the input on this.

So i figure it can be between $3k and $5k per year/15k miles depending on driving habits. I did find that thread that Blitzen was writing about - also very informative. I tried to search for it before but didn't see it.

The car I'm looking at was at the dealer on average every 3000 miles or 2.5 months... On carfax it just says "vehicle serviced" for most visits, but for a few occasions it had detailed lists of what repairs were done or something like "manufacturer's suggested maintenance performed". Could all those "service" visits be some actual problems (seems like way too many) or maybe just car washes? What do you guys think?

Blitzen, I searched for the timing belt dedicated to RS6 and found some company selling them at about $600 per kit. I guess the rest of the cost is in insallation though... Perhaps I can just spend a few thousands on some mechanic classes so that I'd fix it all myself :idea: :vhmmm: :mech: :thumb:

sorry for the many questions... I just think that when buying an above average costing car it is very good to do some extensive research (unless $50k is pocket change for you). "I enjoy the slow pace of my decision making in the car purchase. Haste is waste..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBpt_waWdkw&mode=related&search=

dab
September 14th, 2007, 13:42
Oil changes, 35k work that includes timing belt changes are done for free as part of the warranty. Synthetic oil is expensive, you can buy it via the case from the web for about half of what a dealer would charge you. Look for an extended warranty that covers even chipping, mod the exhaust to 100k miles. I purchased an extended for 2500 when i bought my rs/6 with 19k miles. I havent' had a problem that cost me a cent because of the warranty. Really i have had only a few issues in the 1.5 years and 20k miles i have put on the car. What other car can you take four people to the drag strip and run 13 seconds flat?

AuditudeA642
September 14th, 2007, 14:13
Nearly all those questions are answered on the thread I mentioned. Didn't you search it? I think it's called "Maintenance Budget Help" or something like that.

With humble respect to Auditude (the guy knows a lot about Audis), I wouldn't put much stock in his post on this thread or the other one I'm referring to, because I've found there's a HUGE difference in maintenance costs between a modded 4.2 A6 and an RS6, or an RS4 vs. RS6 for that matter. Namely, neither a 4.2A6 or an RS4 have a V8TT which means they don't require a $3000 timing belt change every 35,000 miles. Nor do they possess 8-piston Brembo brakes with front and rear vented rotors that are separated from the hubs on spokes. Those b---es are expensive!

No, I'm not including gas in that estimate. You'll need at least 200 gallons of gas for 3000 miles so that's another ~$600. But mileage, tire wear, and brake wear all depend heavily on your driving.

Again, I want to respect Auditude. I bet his A6 is a screamer! However, I'm trying to help you with my experience and what I've learned from others who own RS6's.
:mech:

Thanks... I understand what you are saying though. I never owned an RS6 so im a little rusty:) I was going by what people say from Audiwolrd, Audizine etc. Good Luck finding a car and get out of that BMW fast before its too late. :rs6kiss:

dwarfboy
September 14th, 2007, 22:10
In 2003 Audi gave 4yr/50,000mi maintenance packages. The 4 years is almost up on a lot of cars, but some cars were put into service much later than others. So there may still be some free maintenance left on certain cars. Be sure to get new brakes and rotors if you can while audi still pays for it.

The service interval is 10,000 miles. 70k/75k is the big one costing ~$2,500. You won't want to attempt this on your own so just plan on paying it.

Good tires(ps2) are almost $350 a tire.

Fast scooter
September 17th, 2007, 16:01
Thinking I need to get more room for the growing family.... looking at a W12 and S8.

My car: Avus/black - Nav, Parktronic, alcantra. Truly all but perfect condition. Dead stock other then the following:

RS6 plus SS pedals
Passport SRX - radar and laser "shifter"
Eisenman exhaust
cleared front headlights and smoked sides and tails
3M protection on all leading edges
Legal level tint
Hyperboost DV's
BBS RS-GT's 20 x 9.5 w/ 275/30/20 Conti 2's

the car was purchased CPO'ed 4 months ago with 22k miles - has fresh front and rear rotors and pads - And no DRC issues. it now has 24,500 miles and is freshly waxed and ready to go....

I also will incude a stock set of 18" rims/tires and a spare set of almost new 255/30/20 Bridgestone 050's that I had mounted before fitting the 275's....

Asking 48,500.

BLITZEN
September 17th, 2007, 17:07
THAT's A GOOD DEAL, NO A STEAL OF A DEAL!