PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Eye witness news from IAA Frankfurt

Erik
September 12th, 2007, 16:33
Hi everyone :D

I was at the Audi press conference and Audi RS6 and A4 World premiere yesterday.
After that I quickly had to head back north and had a fun time on mostly free Autobahns. :D I didn't get back yet, so I didn't have a chance to download pictures etc. yet, they can be expected early next week. Please be patient, I'm lucky to have Internet in my danish hotel ;) :D

So here's a brief overview of some thing I learned.

First of all, all car manufacturers have gone nuts to answer the market with environmentally friendly vehicles (not that there is such a thing).
Although Audi released Q7 hybrid e-diesel etc. the FIRST THING they introduced in the press conference was the Audi RS6 Avant. They are really proud of it, and to show such a performance car with 580 hp among all “green cars” really takes some guts, but it’s the sort of press conference we (at least I) all like.

There were 2 Audi RS6 Avants in the Audi stand, one Ibis White and one Misano Red.
The misano red had Audi exclusive interior (not sure about the white).

The RS6 body shape is made to resemble to the ur-quattro. Yes it is quite wide, but it looks very good. I was attending the show with some hard core BMW people, and they are all positive to the car and especially the looks.

A very nice touch was that Audi added a metallic line to the door openers, which goes in the same color/material as the trim around the windows.

The RS6 has a rear diffuser, looks pretty mean on an Avant I must say.

The seats are the same as the S6, but with RS6 insignia.

There are no fog lights, just like the M5. They need every square centimetre they can get to cool the engine. Instead there are LEDs built in normal daylights.

The quattro is the same as the A6/S6, 40:60 split.

The Tiptronic has paddles and shifting is 30-40% faster than the old RS6. The tiptronic will do “rev-blips” when going down through the gears, just like the SMG. Can’t wait to try that one! According to my source the tiptronic in the RS6 is just as good as a DSG (not that I fully believe him, but it sure sounds like good news).

Future options will be very similar to last time: sports exhaust, RS6 carpets etc. will be released.

There are new colors available. Or at least they have new names.

There will be an RS6 Limo.

ESP has 3 settings. Full, track mode and OFF... :D (finally we get the €100.000 button)

V Max removal from quattro GmbH = 280 km/h.

There is no official or unofficial time at Nürburgring, but the 0-200 km/h time is what the R&D department reported.

The press will probably get test cars in the beginning of 2008.

Any bad news? Unfortunately yes. The car will not be sold in the USA, mainly due to emissions and the cost of making new bumbers and other US specific parts. Big mistake if you ask me, if Audi wants to grow on a market dominated by MB and BMW they will have to rethink.

I took pictures of the BMW M5 Touring and the RS6 Avant and I plan to make a comparison with pictures, then you can really see how special the RS6 is.

BONUS: I have 2 Audi RS6 Avant sales brochures. I will have to keep one myself, but what do I do best with the spare one? Lottery, bidding, give it to “RS6.com member of the year”? Please give me your ideas at rs6com@gmail.com or via pm :D

I hope you learnt something, now I'm off for a pint or two... :cheers:

Best regards
Erik B

:addict: :rs6kiss: :addict:

Erik
September 12th, 2007, 16:33
Not my pictures, but you get the idea.

The red is quite difficult to take shots of, the wider body doesn't show nearly as good as in reality.

http://images.motortrend.com/auto_shows/coverage/frankfurt/112_2007_frankfurt_motor_show_05z+audi_RS6+side_vi ew.jpg

http://images.motortrend.com/auto_shows/coverage/frankfurt/112_2007_frankfurt_motor_show_04z+audi_RS6+rear_vi ew.jpg

http://images.motortrend.com/auto_shows/coverage/frankfurt/112_2007_frankfurt_motor_show_01z+audi_RS6+front_v iew.jpg

http://images.motortrend.com/auto_shows/coverage/frankfurt/112_2007_frankfurt_motor_show_06z+audi_RS6+front_t hree_quarter_view.jpg

http://images.motortrend.com/auto_shows/coverage/frankfurt/112_2007_frankfurt_motor_show_03z+audi_RS6+rear_th ree_quarter_view.jpg

http://images.motortrend.com/auto_shows/coverage/frankfurt/112_2007_frankfurt_motor_show_02z+audi_RS6+front_t hree_quarter_view.jpg

rubyblack
September 12th, 2007, 16:38
:applause: :applause: to Erik!!!! That is one huge red uberwagen......:thumb:

Sadly though it didn't blow me away as I thought it would.......:doh:

artur777
September 12th, 2007, 16:58
Erik, thanks for the posting info on RS6.
Didn't they mention the real time of appearance RS6 in the market (both for Avant and Limo)?

MR USER
September 12th, 2007, 17:03
Well done Eric!!! Was it inspiring in life? How did you feel about it? For sure is pecial and the numbers released or speculated so far are a hint of the potemtial of this machine but... the personla feeling when you are standing next to it has a whole lot more involment!!! SO DID YOU FALL IN LOVE?

Erik
September 12th, 2007, 17:04
They didn't mention it, but I have another source for that but my memory...

I think early 2008 for the Avant, then you can own one of the first.
Release of RS6 Limo around summer 2008.

Erik
September 12th, 2007, 17:08
SO DID YOU FALL IN LOVE?

Thanks!

Of course I'm in love, but I'm pretty biased :D :rs6kiss:

I like everything except the lack of DSG, but I don't see this being solved in a technical way anytime soon. Then the tiptronic might be pretty good, so we'll see.

And I don't like the fact it won't get to the US, altough it doesn't affect me personally I feel symapthy for those who want it, are ready to pay for it but can't get it.

Andyuk911
September 12th, 2007, 17:14
This will stop the Current RS4 from looking dated

MR USER
September 12th, 2007, 17:15
Agree with you about our frinds across the pond... maybe if they make loads of noise.... and kidnapp cuple dealers and AoA emplyees... they might just get a chance.

Else If any american Member of RS6.COM wants to buy an RS6 I will be more than happy to keep it in my garege and I will make sure it's always nicely polished!!! All this for free!!!! JUST PM me!!!

On top of it they can stay over my apartment in Geneva whenever they feel like coming over and driving theur baby!!!

Benman
September 12th, 2007, 17:48
First of all, all car manufacturers have gone nuts to answer the market with environmentally friendly vehicles (not that there is such a thing).
Although Audi released Q7 hybrid e-diesel etc. the FIRST THING they introduced in the press conference was the Audi RS6 Avant. They are really proud of it, and to show such a performance car with 580 hp among all “green cars” really takes some guts, but it’s the sort of press conference we (at least I) all like.

And I don't like the fact it won't get to the US, altough it doesn't affect me personally I feel symapthy for those who want it, are ready to pay for it but can't get it.

Thanks Erik!

I agree, the dang PC tree huggers are messing with our cars! LOL!!!

And yes, I feel sorry for all those over here that want the MkII RS 6 but will likely NOT get the chance to own it. It will need to cost @$120K here, and in that range, I don't see a lot of takers (myself included).

Ben:addict:

Copper
September 12th, 2007, 18:03
Sigh... no US RS6? Stupid move Audi, stupid move.

Well, on the plus side, our 2003 RS6's will jump in value quickly.

I guess I'll have to take a closer look at the S6 in a few years or GASP back to BMW I go.

Maybe they will figure it out and are just trying to slam dunk US sales if the demand is there? Who knows.

So disappointed....

:w:

got boost
September 12th, 2007, 18:39
Nice write up Erik!

..now, about that other brochure:idea:

Julz RS4
September 12th, 2007, 19:18
Thanks Erik for your update info live from the IAA FRankfurt, it's very appreciated. :thumb:

RXBG
September 12th, 2007, 19:40
i wonder if the RS^ limo will have a HO engine. mebbe with 600 hp?

Ruergard
September 12th, 2007, 20:10
Thanks for the livereport on the beast, can't wait for more pics and so on! Thumbs up! :thumb:

Leadfoot
September 12th, 2007, 20:33
Great write-up Erik, as always. :thumb:

Not many people are commenting on the alloys but I think they are quite possibly the most beautiful rims ever to grace a car and hope that they become available on the options list of the S5 very soon. :love2:

As for the car itself, well what can I say without seeing the thing in real life for myself. It looks amazing and no doubt those arches make it look possibly wide and mean looking. As for the gearbox, I was told exactly the same thing as Erik, it's meant to be as close to the DSG as possible in performance without actually being a DSG.

Great to hear the saloon has finally been signed off. But sad news for the US members, hopefully something may happen in the future to allow the RS6 saloon to make it Stateside.

Ricoloco
September 12th, 2007, 21:06
BONUS: I have 2 Audi RS6 Avant sales brochures. I will have to keep one myself, but what do I do best with the spare one? Lottery, bidding, give it to “RS6.com member of the year”? Please give me your ideas at rs6com@gmail.com or via pm

I consider the sales brochures as mine. Was about to have a drive with my RS4 a few minutes ago, this is what hit me in the face.

And yes, its true. Will not be sleeping tonight.

Erik
September 12th, 2007, 21:46
I consider the sales brochures as mine. Was about to have a drive with my RS4 a few minutes ago, this is what hit me in the face.

Oh no! S**t! :noshake: At least they were kind to lift the car...

You have made it to the Top 3 Automatically out of sympathy.

Erik
September 12th, 2007, 21:51
Not many people are commenting on the alloys but I think they are quite possibly the most beautiful rims ever to grace a car and hope that they become available on the options list of the S5 very soon. :love2:

I am not 100% sure ( :cheers: before reading and studying) but it seems there are more wheel design not yet shown online / on cars vs. the sales/customer brochure have. But I will scan as soon as I get back home so you can see / chose. There seems to be a new 19" wheel design which is quite nice.

jonas21
September 12th, 2007, 22:21
damn!!! they once stole both my mirrors on my rs6. If i ever catch such a bastard only god knows what'll happen....

gmbh6
September 12th, 2007, 23:00
...Any bad news? Unfortunately yes. The car will not be sold in the USA, mainly due to emissions and the cost of making new bumbers and other US specific parts. ...

Glad I didn't sell my car :addict:

...it just went back up in value a few grand :dig:

diesel king
September 13th, 2007, 03:21
We need a North American :addict: Tuesday I sent a letter to AoA. I can only that they will throw us a bone and sent us 1,000. I wouldn't object to waiting a year or so.

My wife is to cute to be seen driving an M5!!!:rs6kiss:

steffenr
September 13th, 2007, 10:42
the new rs6 is just gorgeous, a propper rs car sleek fast and discret, but still a showstopper:addict:

damn!!! they once stole both my mirrors on my rs6. If i ever catch such a bastard only god knows what'll happen....

I had my S3 mirrors stolen, my S3 interior and the whole car stole with in a 18 months period.

my car ended up like this, so I know the feeling:vgrumpy:

rs-6
September 13th, 2007, 21:20
do you have a price list by any chance? if so, could you scan it?

SpinEcho
September 14th, 2007, 01:21
Eric, thanks for the pics and the story!

I agree with those who said Audi need to rethink their decision not to sell in North America - 'Cause I want one!

Probably it boils down to $$$$ as it almost always does... Audi will lose too much of it by 'federalizing' this car. A comment was made that to compete with MB and BMW, Audi needs to bring the new RS6 to the USA. Unfortunately, IMHO the 1st RS6 had very little influence on North American Audi sales and I see no reason the 2nd version will change that. We see the car world through biased eyes, and you can be sure the average Audi driver has very little clue (or care) for what an RS6 is, just as the average BMW driver couldn't give a care about M cars.

Come on Audi, damn the bottom line and spend the $$ on bringing this car to North America and make your loyal enthusiasts happy! It can't be costing you that much...

:addict:

AuditudeA642
September 14th, 2007, 04:00
i would be happy if they sent us 100 RS6's. Really disappointed. Hopefully we get a V10 R8.

24hours
September 14th, 2007, 05:14
i would be happy if they sent us 100 RS6's. Really disappointed. Hopefully we get a V10 R8.

Since Audi has not brought the 4.2l A6 Avant, nor the S6 Avant, I can't see how they'll bring the RS6 Avant. I've called the corp showroom on Park Ave in NYC a half dozen times, but the answer has not changed.

I did notice the comment in Autoweek that said "sources" said there remains a possible NA allocation too. If so, I'll happily part ways with my MT V70R. Nearly double the HP, but for triple the price.... sounds fine to me.
:)

chewym
September 14th, 2007, 06:37
Based on the R8 price, the RS6 would have to cost about 100-105k in the states.

HKS786
September 14th, 2007, 06:47
More shots:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/J78628/img_1717.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/J78628/img_1697.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/J78628/img_1700.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/J78628/img_1710.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/J78628/img_1711.jpg

Ruergard
September 14th, 2007, 08:15
Hoho, damn it looks good! :love:

I agree with you leadie about the rims, they do look awesome... And the wide wheel arches, oh my!

Thanks! Can't wait to check it out in reality now..

HKS786
September 14th, 2007, 08:31
Hoho, damn it looks good! :love:

I agree with you leadie about the rims, they do look awesome... And the wide wheel arches, oh my!

Thanks! Can't wait to check it out in reality now..

Yeah the rims look great! I love them because they remind me of the old RS6's 5 spokes yet they are still very different. Also, wheel arches look beautiful! :addict:

absent
September 14th, 2007, 14:27
Well,just heard from my dealer,they received a memo from AOA cofirming that RS6 will not be coming period,that the V10 TT will never be available here in any other models either also.
Since no other Audi available in States looks tempting enough I will have to look elsewhere for my next daily driver.
What we have here is simply boring to me,Audi became irrelevant and sub par brand in my eyes (in US market only,of course).
It was great to be on this site though,lots of great car guys ,way more mature and reasonable then on the "other sites".
Many thanks !:bye:

tazsura
September 14th, 2007, 14:49
Great write-up Erik, as always. :thumb:

You already know what i think about the alloys Leadie....:blush:

Great piece Erik. The original RS6 was and still is a great car, the new ones seems to be continuing the greatness of the RS6 name...just like this forum! Cheers mate and thanks for your hard work:thumb:

Taz :cheers:

S6driver
September 14th, 2007, 18:10
Well,just heard from my dealer,they received a memo from AOA cofirming that RS6 will not be coming period,that the V10 TT will never be available here in any other models either also.
Since no other Audi available in States looks tempting enough I will have to look elsewhere for my next daily driver.
What we have here is simply boring to me,Audi became irrelevant and sub par brand in my eyes (in US market only,of course).
It was great to be on this site though,lots of great car guys ,way more mature and reasonable then on the "other sites".
Many thanks !:bye:

My thoughts exactly. I am pissed at AoA. What a joke of a company. Its really about the poor dealer network (as regards to service). Not emmisions or the bumpers (LOL). I won't be shopping at Audi anymore, and will probably be looking to dump my S6 soon. What a joke of company.

iconcls
September 14th, 2007, 19:27
Audi (AoA) talks about making Audi a top tier US marquee, they talk about making Audi more performance oriented...all they provide is lip service and not willing to invest anything into achieving said goals.

Back to being BMW's bitch for a generation.

Disappointed beyond words.

ML63 AMG
September 14th, 2007, 22:32
US Market.

I am sorry, but I do not feel sorry for the US market.

If they are not willing to pay (or can not afford) the costs for the RS6, why should the get it?

The car industry is a business to make money for the shareholdes (yep, I am sorry) of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Toyota (Lexus) or whatever brand, that is the sole purpose.

If MacDonalds had to sell their BigMac's for less than cost they would also stop selling it.

The solution is easy for the US buyers: Buy one from Europe and pay the what Audi is asking for it or don't buy one!

I have just made my order today, and I expect mine to cost between 250- 300.000 EURO (in Norway).

It really rocks, with magnetic ride, twice as quick shift time on the automatic trans than the 2007 S6, alcantara roof, 20" titan wheels and it is just 2000% overcool.

Regards,

Leadfoot
September 14th, 2007, 22:42
I think if you check you are not getting MagneticRide with the RS6, it's adaptive DRC. The shift time is very quick for an automatic and I love the titan alloys.

It will be a mean ride when you get it and no doubt you will be the top dog which everyone will be wanting to beat ................ if only they could.;)

ML63 AMG
September 14th, 2007, 22:48
I think if you check you are not getting MagneticRide with the RS6, it's adaptive DRC. The shift time is very quick for an automatic and I love the titan alloys.

It will be a mean ride when you get it and no doubt you will be the top dog which everyone will be wanting to beat ................ if only they could.;)

Hello Leadfoot!

I have not read the "Book" that I got from the RS6 rep that I talked to at IAA Frankfurt today, but he said "Magnetic ride", but with 3-settings: Sport, Dynamic and Comfort, which is one more than the R8, which only has Normal and Sport (I think).

Regards,

absent
September 14th, 2007, 22:49
US Market.

If they are not willing to pay (or can not afford) the costs for the RS6, why should the get it?

The car industry is a business to make money for the shareholdes (yep, I am sorry) of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Toyota (Lexus) or whatever brand, that is the sole purpose.

If MacDonalds had to sell their BigMac's for less than cost they would also stop selling it.

The solution is easy for the US buyers: Buy one from Europe and pay the what Audi is asking for it or don't buy one!

I have just made my order today, and I expect mine to cost between 250- 300.000 EURO (in Norway).

It really rocks, with magnetic ride, twice as quick shift time on the automatic trans than the 2007 S6, alcantara roof, 20" titan wheels and it is just 2000% overcool.

Regards,
No one is complaining at the price of that thing here,I for one and a lot of others would gladly pay similar price as in Europe (with the exception of the ridiculous pricing in Norway with most of that price being crazy taxation).
AOA arbitralily decided not to bring it in here and it is a stupid decision that will cost them in a longer run.
As far as bringing a Euro car here and federalizing it ,it would be a very long,costly and almost impossible undertaking ,ending with a car that would be almost impossible to resell later on.
You can almost hear the sigh of relief from the MB and BMW dealers(in US) who were afraid for a while that RS6 would steal the limelight from AMGs and M5s...

Leadfoot
September 14th, 2007, 23:05
Hello Leadfoot!

I have not read the "Book" that I got from the RS6 rep that I talked to at IAA Frankfurt today, but he said "Magnetic ride", but with 3-settings: Sport, Dynamic and Comfort, which is one more than the R8, which only has Normal and Sport (I think).

Regards,

ML63AMG,

This is from the Audi press release

With Dynamic Ride Control the shock absorbers are connected diagonally with each other via two oil lines and two control valves. Body movement – e.g. rolling when cornering at high speed on an uneven road surface – produces flows of oil, which generate additional damping force. As a result, the RS 6 boasts even more directional control through bends and reacts with substantially more precision to the steering inputs of the driver.
Dynamic Ride Control on the new RS 6 can be supplemented if desired with optional three-stage damping. This allows the driver to select the handling characteristics according to his/her personal preferences or chosen route. In the comfort setting, the sports suspension plus provides remarkable ride comfort, in the dynamic program it adjusts superbly to an enthusiastic driving style and in the sport mode it delivers maximum driving precision.
The sporty setting of the electronic stabilisation program ESP is an ideal match here: the point of intervention is very late, permitting a high degree of driving enjoyment whilst fully maintaining driving safety. Alternatively, the ESP may be completely deactivated.

Trust me, this is an adaptive DRC system, not MagneticRide.

Leadfoot
September 14th, 2007, 23:12
No one is complaining at the price of that thing here,I for one and a lot of others would gladly pay similar price as in Europe (with the exception of the ridiculous pricing in Norway with most of that price being crazy taxation).
AOA arbitralily decided not to bring it in here and it is a stupid decision that will cost them in a longer run.
As far as bringing a Euro car here and federalizing it ,it would be a very long,costly and almost impossible undertaking ,ending with a car that would be almost impossible to resell later on.
You can almost hear the sigh of relief from the MB and BMW dealers(in US) who were afraid for a while that RS6 would steal the limelight from AMGs and M5s...

I'm not saying this will happen, but decisions can be reversed. Maybe when or if the saloon appears then AoA might have reconsidered to get with the plan and undertake the strict guide lines that Audi have set out for stocking the RS6. I do know that not every dealer in Europe will be allowed to stock and service the RS6 so don't expect every dealer to be carrying it.

ML63 AMG
September 14th, 2007, 23:21
ML63AMG,

This is from the Audi press release

Trust me, this is an adaptive DRC system, not MagneticRide.

Hello again Leadfoot!

I trust you. I just just did not read the info about the new RS6, since it was official together with the Mercedes-Benz C63T AMG, which I was going to IAA to make an order for (one the phone to my dealer in Norway).

Since AMG did not display it, I ordered a C320 CDI T 4Matic for my wife instead. So when we came to the Audi stand in Halle 3.0, it was love at first sight. The whole car is a killer outside and inside and the DRC plus (or Sport Suspension Plus) was just what I was missing on my 2007 S6 Avant.

PS: They put 275/35-20 tires on the RS6, which is one size more profile than on the S6.

Regards,

ML63 AMG
September 14th, 2007, 23:33

Hello Absent.

The baseprice in Germany is 89.000 EURO netto (without WAT), which is 122.000 USD for an German Base model (which is quite more "base" than the US market is used to...)

This is a bit more than the M5 and E63 AMG...

Do you still think it is a market in the US? (it should be!).

Regards,

S6driver
September 14th, 2007, 23:36
US Market.

Regards,

Well, I for one, am not talking about the costs of the car. I don't care if 95K, 100K, 105K, or 110K. And I am sure they are plenty of US buyers who don't care either. We're talking about 500-1000 cars anyway. Its not like AoA or Audi AG would make a lot of profit no matter what the price tag is. Its more about the hyprocrisy of being told over and over again, that Audi was making a push in the North American market to be more respected and improve brand cache, when in reality they pull bush league moves like this and basically surrender, the albeit small, uber sedan market to BMW and MB. The S6 is a fine car. I own one. Buts its not a M5 or E63. Its just not. The RS6 is their true competiter. And no amount of money is going to get a US spec RS6 anytime soon. Please AoA, give me the opportunity to spend as much money as you want on a new RS6.... As I said in my letter to AoA, sometimes its not about sales or per unit profitibility, sometimes its all about how a brand is perceived, and in the US Audi is perceived(generally speaking) less of a brand than BMW or MB. Right or wrong, its fact. Although, I personally think my ML63 AMG is a POS. Choosing to not bring the Mk2 RS6 to the NA market just bolsters people's opinion here that Audi can't hang with "the big boys". They won't care much that the car exists somewhere else, sort of like the Allroad. Whatever. AoA is bush league.

iconcls
September 14th, 2007, 23:43

STFU, I'd pay whatever they asked.

STFU, ever try to federalize a car...?

You have no clue.

Leadfoot
September 14th, 2007, 23:45
:rolleyes: I felt really bad, knowing for over two months that the RS6 was most likely not coming to the US and all you guys over there so desperate for info on prices and date of launch and unable to pass on the information because I had been told to sit on it until the decision was confirmed.

It no consolation but I reckon all future RS model will be coming stateside as this have been a major cock-up of biblical proportions and the same thing they will never want to repeated.

S6driver
September 15th, 2007, 00:01
:rolleyes: I felt really bad, knowing for over two months that the RS6 was most likely not coming to the US and all you guys over there so desperate for info on prices and date of launch and unable to pass on the information because I had been told to sit on it until the decision was confirmed.

It no consolation but I reckon all future RS model will be coming stateside as this have been a major cock-up of biblical proportions and the same thing they will never want to repeated.

So do you reckon I can start obsessing about a RS5 or RS7?...Seriously though, I really hope AoA and Audi AG can work out a small allotment (I am/was #2 on my dealer list) of US spec RS 6 sedans. I know the chances are small, but there is a while before the sedan is unveiled and introduced to the market. Maybe all of us clamoring for a crack at the car will change some minds. However, my dealer never took deposits, only a priority list, so to weed out all the posers, they should get deposits from people to more accurately gauge demand here. Whilst letting people now its going be over 100K, possibly 110K. I doubt it will happen, but who knows.

absent
September 15th, 2007, 02:04
Hello Absent.

The baseprice in Germany is 89.000 EURO netto (without WAT), which is 122.000 USD for an German Base model (which is quite more "base" than the US market is used to...)

This is a bit more than the M5 and E63 AMG...

Do you still think it is a market in the US? (it should be!).

Regards,
Based on specs,based on the fact the car (RS6) would be more practical as daily driver,I would gladly pay $20-30k more for it then for E63/M5.
There are plenty of guys like me here for that 500-1000 cars...

jimrd
September 15th, 2007, 02:55
ML63 AMG -
I don't think cost is an issue for anyone in the market for this type of car. I would gladly pay 120k for this car. I'm sure it was not intended, but your post was bordering on insulting. I guarantee you that they would easily sell 1000+ cars in the USA. Aspen, Colorado probably has the highest number of RS cars per capita than any city in the world.......

Audiphile
September 15th, 2007, 04:00
I, too, was amazed that the RS6 is not coming to the US. Someone posted that an actual letter was sent from AoA to dealers regarding this. I actually called my dealer who stated that it is unlikely that we will see the Avant for obvious reasons here (though I would prefer one over the sedan), but there is a strong chance of the sedan making its way here. I agree it would be bush league for Audi not to send its mightest weapon to the US as it seeks to dethrone BMW and MB. It really is not about how many units sold, if AoA was smart, but about building image and cache with the halo effect the car has on the brand. "Wow, I drive an A4 from the same carmaker that makes the RS6" is how it usually goes. I send a stinging letter/e-mail to my Audi A8L W12 advocate telling him that I want to buy the car as well, what the f*&K is Audi of America thinking. If they fail to bring the sedan, then they are making a huge marketing and public relations mistake that will in the long run hurt more than it saves the money they are trying to save. Shows a lack of long-term strategy here.

diesel king
September 15th, 2007, 04:09
Months ago I thought we would pay $100,000 (US) for the RS6. When I heard 610 hp and adjustable DRC I thought 110K. If Audi limited the number to 500 I could see paying 120.

I sent my letter to AoA a few days ago. I am sooooo disappointed. I really thought Audi was on a roll in the US. I could see a future were Audi was finally viewed as equals to Merc and BMW. Audi was on a roll with the RS4 and R8.

Audi's wind is leaving the North American sail. I have to give the Panamera a look:doh: Another possibility is driving the wheels off our S4 and getting a twin turbo 911.

We'll continue wasting money on cars, I am sad it looks like it won't be on a RS6.

What can you tell me about the RS7????

ML63 AMG
September 15th, 2007, 08:00
ML63 AMG -
I don't think cost is an issue for anyone in the market for this type of car. I would gladly pay 120k for this car. I'm sure it was not intended, but your post was bordering on insulting. I guarantee you that they would easily sell 1000+ cars in the USA. Aspen, Colorado probably has the highest number of RS cars per capita than any city in the world.......

Hello jimrd!

My intention was not to insult anyone, but I am a member on MBenthusiat forum and "everyone" complained about the pricing for the ML63 AMG in the US market even though it was 25% less than in Europe.

Becaause of this Mercedes had to cheap out on the interior (again) to satisfy the US market and get the volum needed.

Maybye 500-or even 1000 units is not enough, even if the car is selling for 120.000 USD baseprice for Audi to make money, but juging on replies I got in 12 hours it seems like a the interest for this massiv ÜberAvant and coolest Avant EVER is quite big in the US.

I post pictures and impressions as soon as my new car arrives.

PS: The first customercars are ready for delivery in April 2008!

quattrogeek
September 15th, 2007, 08:08
Long time browser of this forum, finally signed up to express my disappointment. I'm on my third Audi (big turbo A4, Sportec S4 Avant, A8) have owned a 993 Carrera and several VW's including a 337 and supercharged R32. As a long time fan of VAG products i was really looking forward to the new RS6 and that twin turbo 10 cylinder motor. AOA is really dropping the ball by not offering either the avant or the sedan in North America. I'm really starting to consider the M5 as an option...despite the ugly face and the fact that i generally loathe most of what BMW is offering these days, i just feel the need to own a factory car with at least 500hp and room for 4 proper sized people for under 100K. Besides the ugly ness of the big Bimmer can be improved upon with a Hartge package. The Merc E55/63 is an option, however its isn't a true drivers car.

Bottom line: Audi needs a heavy hitter in North America to keep us enthusiasts interested (many of us will spend the money to drive around in a turbo'd 10cylinder making close to 600hp, capable of blowing the doors right off anything that Mercedes or BMW offers), If they don't ....its sadly bye-bye Audi for me. :bye:

DBLIPA
September 15th, 2007, 08:35
It has been most disconcerting to find out the MkII RS6 will not be coming to the U.S. I was prepared to sell my RS6 just before the delivery date of the new one that I had planned to order. Perhaps AoA has done me, and others, a big favor by their current decision, in that I won't need to spend more $$, even though many of us would have gladly paid a U.S. asking price well in excess of $100k.

It looks like I'll still be driving an absolutely awesome automobile for a few more years. A peripheral benefit is being the owner of a fairly rare car that evokes "oohs" and "aahs" form the cognoscenti.

Oh well, I think I'll get the beast detailed next week... :thumb:

Leadfoot
September 15th, 2007, 08:58
Guys, at the current exchange rate we in the UK will be paying something close to $140~150K your money.

Would any of you be willing to pay that much?

absent
September 15th, 2007, 13:43
Guys, at the current exchange rate we in the UK will be paying something close to $140~150K your money.

UK and some Scandinavian Countries have very high additional taxes tacked on,making your prices unreasonably high when comparing to Central Europe.
You have to look at the RS6 from the perspective of pricing of other cars from same source (like Porsche or other German makers).
If 997 TT ,fully loaded ,is highly profitable at $150k,I see no reason an upgraded S6 should cost the same.
Audi is more expensive in it's home market then both AMG and M5 (and justly so,since it offers more)but still reasonable at $120k of our money.
In short,Audi gets similar profit(more or less) per car regardless of where the car is sold,the difference in customer price is in particular government taxes.

S6driver
September 15th, 2007, 15:42

You can't just do the exchange rate, especially dollar vs pound, and come up with the US price. How much is a fully loaded M5 in the UK? E63 AMG? Both of these cars, loaded, come in under 100K US here. The S6 is 80K fully loaded. Your gonna tell me the RS6 costs 60-70k more than a S6? No way. Even 120K is 40K more than a S6. Is there 40K more tech in an RS6? Not likely. If both BMW and MB can price there uber sedans/wagons under 100K(loaded) in the US, why can't Audi at least get to 110K for the RS6. At 110K, it would be 30K more than a S6. That is a huge difference. The difference between a S4 and a RS4 is around 15K here. But to answer your question. No, I wouldn't pay 150K for a RS6. Maybe a S65 AMG or an Aston Martin. To put it into perspective, the R8 is between 100-110K here in the US. How much is it in the UK?..... Speaking of the UK, its time for me to turn on Setanta Sports and watch Chelsea beat up on Blackburn. Go Blues!

Leadfoot
September 15th, 2007, 16:50
S6Driver,

The point I was making regarding price comparisons between UK and US s that in the US most car companies including the three big German ones make far less profit in the US per car than almost anywhere else. The US consumer isn't willing to pay European prices and in a way are squeezing the companies in to the position we have here with the RS6. AoA must regard that the demand doesn't warrant the expense involved in getting the infrastructure in place to be able to sell the RS6 in the way Audi German want it to be sold.

Look at Ford (US) compared to Ford (Europe), one loses money by the bucket load while the other makes a profit and supports the domestic US market. Is this fair that we over here are basically paying for cars to cheap on the US market.

I don't think so. :w: But then again this is a other matter altogether.

kip
September 15th, 2007, 18:13
They didn't mention it, but I have another source for that but my memory...

I think early 2008 for the Avant, then you can own one of the first.
Release of RS6 Limo around summer 2008.

Thanks! Nice pics.

jimrd
September 15th, 2007, 19:12
Leadfoot:

I probably would pay 150k for that car. For me, it is the perfect car. Brutally fast, good handling, comfortable, and driveable year round. It would replace two cars in my garage and make me very happy - for that I would pay a lot.......

S6driver
September 15th, 2007, 19:56
S6Driver,

The point I was making regarding price comparisons between UK and US s that in the US most car companies including the three big German ones make far less profit in the US per car than almost anywhere else. The US consumer isn't willing to pay European prices and in a way are squeezing the companies in to the position we have here with the RS6. AoA must regard that the demand doesn't warrant the expense involved in getting the infrastructure in place to be able to sell the RS6 in the way Audi German want it to be sold.

Look at Ford (US) compared to Ford (Europe), one loses money by the bucket load while the other makes a profit and supports the domestic US market. Is this fair that we over here are basically paying for cars to cheap on the US market.

I don't think so. :w: But then again this is a other matter altogether.

The point you are trying to make is completely irrevelant to RS6 situation. Duh, European money is worth more than the $. Thanks for trying to explain something to me that I already know. Its true for ALL European companies selling whatever they sell in the US. And it is what allows Ford to make money in Europe. And 1 more time, its not about the money. I'll pay whatever. I guess you just don't understand the frustration of longtime Audi USA supporter's ( I have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on Audi's), who are sick of AoA and Audi AG blowing off the largest car market in the world. I know its hard for people outside of Europe to get, but there is a reason why Audi gets absolutely killed in terms of sales by both BMW and MB in the US. Its because of many factors, but mostly because people in the US don't think Audi is on par with BMW , MB, and even, gasp, Lexus. They are of course wrong, but in most cases perception is reality. And reality is Audi struggles to sell cars in the US compared to its direct competitors. Now, AoA doesn't get much support for the mothership in terms of lease deals, so in many cases its the most expensive option between the big German three. The US also has many terrible Audi dealers. I have to drive past the one 30 mins away to the one 90 mins away because my local dealer is incompetent. I am not alone. You are correct when you say, that it comes down to investment in the dealer network to properly sell and maintain the car, and there in lies the heart of the problem. Investment. Audi is unwilling to invest what is needed to boost their image in America. They aren't getting that by not making any money on 1000 cars, while spending more money on training, will actually make them more money in the long run. I can go buy a Maybach at my local MB dealership, along with any AMG model I want. Even a McClaren. At BMW, its "How would you like to configure your M5 or M6 sir?". At Audi its " No, the Allroad isn't available. The RS6 isn't available S3? Nope". Now of course all of these models aren't the money makers, but it helps get the E, C class, 3 and 5 series buyers in the door. They can sit in their 30K BMW and feel like they own a car from the makers of M. This is where the profit lies. I can't tell you how many people have said to me they might take a look at Audi because of the R8. Now, they aren't going to get one, but they suddenly respect the brand because of the R8 and might test drive the A4 or A6 instead of going directly back to BMW or MB. The RS6 is this kind of car. It clearly demostrates to even the average American, that Audi is very much on par, and in some cases superior to its German rivals.... But you never did answer me. Whats the price of the M5, E63, R8 in the UK? How do BMW and MB manage to offer their top tier products in the US? The answer of course, is that they invested in the market and are now reaping the profits. Yes, per unit profitibilty is not as high due to exchange rate, but they make money by sheer volume. And the exchange rate it a fluctuating thing. It could swing back the other way. BMW and MB have proved that they are in the US for the long haul. Audi, not so much. Bad move. Anyway, rant over. Its easy for you to not be mad at them. You can order one! :thumb:

Audiphile
September 15th, 2007, 20:32
S6 Driver you make a good point. It is a catch 22 for Audi. Audi IS on par and exceeds BMW and MB in many ways as a true premium brand. Lexus is not on the level of Audi. Yet, like you said, Americans by sheer ignorance cannot not seem to grasp this simple matter-of-fact. It also depends where you live in the States. For example, in LA the dealer network for the most part is coming along very well with majority of Audi dealers building large flagships and many on the way. Audis dot the landscape everywhere and Audi highly regarded in LA as an equal. The service and customer care is generally very high, and I have been satisified with the perfect service from my dealer who is has a nice mega-hanger store in Torrance, California. You are correct in stating that the problem is that AoA seems to want its cart before the horse. They do not want to invest in the American market to make it happen - like one foot in the water and the other foot ready to gallop. Even pathetic Jaguar at death's door has more ads and commercials than Audi does in the States. What AoA should do is target the RS6 allocation to its main markets in the US. That is send the allocations strictly to places where they know they will sell them and the dealers can support them like LA, Miami, and others.

For Europeans it is hard for them to understand how truely out of touch Audi AG and AoA are with the American market and how they keep apologizing for not being able to compete with BMW and MB which they seem to easily do in Europe and elsewhere. I guess its time to fire them all again at AoA - seems to happen alot it!

However, we must keep in mind that the Avant was probably never intended for the American market. Also, for my American copatriots, we may be jumping the gun a bit. Audi AG has not announced the sedan yet, not even in Germany or Europe. So, it makes sense that they would not say anything regarding whether the RS6 sedan will be sold here yet in the States as it has not been even introduced in Europe. Remember, it will be the face-lifted version of the A6. Also, Audi of American has stated that they may reverse their decision on the RS6 anytime. So, it is not a definite NO. I think we have to wait and see regarding the sedan, and maybe this is what AoA is waiting for as the sedan will sell in enough numbers in the US to warrant its sale here. We should continue to let AoA know that we want the RS6 here in the meantime so they will bring the sedan. I just cannot see that they would be that totally deaf to their core constituents.

In the meantime, I love my S6:heart: and view it very worthy of super sedan status. It has given fit to its higher horsepower rivals in the majority of reviews.

Leadfoot
September 15th, 2007, 21:06
I don't think anyone on this side of the water will ever understand the US market. You feel that the dollar isn't worth the same as the UK pound and you are quite right, but that doesn't get pass the fact that we are paying and are willing to pay the equivalent to $150K for the RS6 but in the States AoA nor Audi AG would believe that they could sell enough RS6 for near this money, so why go to the expense of trying.

I believe both companies are trying to play hard ball, Audi AG are looking AoA to spend the cash to get the infrastructure in place to give the RS6 the support require for the model and AoA are saying they can't comply at the supply price that Audi are demanding for the car and still make a profit at a competitive price, so will prefer not to stock the car at all. I reckon an agreement will be reached at some point, a compromise of sorts. The RS6 being a little expensive compared to the competition and Audi relaxing the servicing/dealership requirements.

We will only know for sure when the launch of the RS6 saloon is showcased.

S6driver
September 15th, 2007, 21:46
We will only know for sure when the launch of the RS6 saloon is showcased.[/quote]

I certainly hope that something can be worked out. The sedan will be such an amazing car. Maybe I'm so mad because, living at 8400ft, I absolutely need an AWD car. I guess if nothing changes, I will have to look at the Porsche Panarama. I do love my S6, but its hard knowing that a RS model exists somewhere. The wife drove an Allroad for years and we loved it. We really wanted the new version, but alas, no Allroad for us. She would have taken a S6 Avant in a second, but once again, not available. We didn't like the Q7, so we ended up with ML63 AMG, which I don't really like(except for that engine of course). I want to spend my money at Audi, I really do, but they are making it so difficult these days. My wife has an UK passport, maybe we will go European just so I can get my hands on the RS6!... Audiphile- I agree that we were never the target of the Avant, but my dealer called me yesterday to tell me that, for now at least, no RS6 will become available to the NA market, either Avant or sedan. :vgrumpy: . My dealer(Denver,CO also Porsche) is bummed. They are a registered R8 dealer and had a list of like 25 people for the RS6. Easily enough to sell the 3-5 cars that would have been available. I live near Boulder, CO and here Audi is the most respected and preferred brand due to quattro. But the Boulder dealer is so terrible, that Porsche revoked its license and moved it to the BMW dealer. The service manager in Boulder is so sick of servicing cars purchased at other dealers because no one likes them. I don't even allow them to touch my S6. I don't know. I can only hope that by next spring we get so good news. Keep raising Hell boys! :w:

Audiphile
September 16th, 2007, 04:34
:hihi: Thanks S6driver. I am fortunate to know some people within the AoA organization, especially those in the all important area of marketing, product development, and sales. And I assure you I have blasted them all with e-mails. Also, I have sent out a request to ACNA hoping they might be able to do a petition or the like with AoA regarding the RS6. I am sure there are many ACNA members not happy right now:rolleyes: Like you, I was set on purchasing the RS6. Hopefully, the sedan might arrive. It's the same for the S3. I really wanted the S3 instead of the A3 Sportback, but like you said no S3 for us:doh: That reasoning by AoA on that one is almost as pathetic as on the RS6. They did not want it to compete with the VW GTI. Yeah, really. The S3 would be around $45,000 easily as an fully loaded A3 3.2Q Sportback can hit $42,000 with no problem. Why would I want a VW GTI? And I believe most Audi S3 purchasers would think the same. We want not only the Audi name, but the S3 would be seen a more mature purchase, not to mention more highly refined. Not some tuner car for drag racing. At my age, I am not interested in what the GTI represents. Anyway, let's hope AoA removes what ever is plugging them up. :hihi:

chutia
September 16th, 2007, 07:48
Was on this site (THE best RS6 site ,for sure!) ,then sold me rs6, and haven't been on here from several months. Just saw the Frankfurt Show new RS6. Nice looking car.

Did a lot of research, drove the ONLY other competitive cars: M5 adn CLS55. Bought the 55. Absolutely fab car. No regrets, so far pretty reliable also for a daily driver. Buy a 55 or a 63. Sincere and objective advise from a prior RS6 driver.
Go in peace>>>:thumb: :cheers:

Dave
September 16th, 2007, 08:29
Hi Guys,

Looking good, but the price in the uk is being banded around £75,000.. too much in my book and too close to GT3 territory for me.:thumb:

Ruergard
September 16th, 2007, 10:27
Was on this site (THE best RS6 site ,for sure!) ,then sold me rs6, and haven't been on here from several months. Just saw the Frankfurt Show new RS6. Nice looking car.

Did a lot of research, drove the ONLY other competitive cars: M5 adn CLS55. Bought the 55. Absolutely fab car. No regrets, so far pretty reliable also for a daily driver. Buy a 55 or a 63. Sincere and objective advise from a prior RS6 driver.
Go in peace>>>:thumb: :cheers:

Compared to the old RS6 a 55 could be a good choice, but to the new beast? C'mon! ;) :addict:

Ricoloco
September 16th, 2007, 12:23

Do I really have any choice....? :addict:

Leadfoot
September 16th, 2007, 13:03
Do I really have any choice....? :addict:

Exactly, not to sound like I have sour grapes but Europe have for the last 15 years been subsidising the US market with cheaper cars just so the European brands can compete. I don't think it's fair and believe equality such be the same for all.

I reckon if things were equal we wouldn't be having this discussion about no RS6 in the States because the price of the car would justify the expense involve to make it suitable for the market. Lets face it, this excuse for not getting the RS6 is very lame, they have to adapt the car for the UK market, making it right hand drive and everything that goes along with that and they would be able to sell far less cars here than they could ever sell in the States but at £75K ($145K) there is the profit to make it justifiable.

Until the US market changes (which I doubt) situations like this will keep recurring.

absent
September 16th, 2007, 14:21
Exactly, not to sound like I have sour grapes but Europe have for the last 15 years been subsidising the US market with cheaper cars just so the European brands can compete. I don't think it's fair and believe equality such be the same for all.

I reckon if things were equal we wouldn't be having this discussion about no RS6 in the States because the price of the car would justify the expense involve to make it suitable for the market. Lets face it, this excuse for not getting the RS6 is very lame, they have to adapt the car for the UK market, making it right hand drive and everything that goes along with that and they would be able to sell far less cars here than they could ever sell in the States but at £75K ($145K) there is the profit to make it justifiable.

Until the US market changes (which I doubt) situations like this will keep recurring.
Leadfoot:
European prices do not equal UK prices period.
You have some of the highest in Europe ,with only some Scandinavians beating you with their crazy taxation.
You should compare US prices with those of Germany or other Central Europe where these cars are actually made.
As a matter of fact,don't you guys have a sizable secondary market and network importing cars from Germany ,Belgium or Japan because it's way cheaper then the same cars in UK?

Leadfoot
September 16th, 2007, 15:04
Leadfoot:
European prices do not equal UK prices period.
You have some of the highest in Europe ,with only some Scandinavians beating you with their crazy taxation.
You should compare US prices with those of Germany or other Central Europe where these cars are actually made.
As a matter of fact,don't you guys have a sizable secondary market and network importing cars from Germany ,Belgium or Japan because it's way cheaper then the same cars in UK?

Actually UK prices aren't that far off German prices, especially when you spec the two cars the same. As for the importing market, this was the case a few years ago before the introduction of the euro but since it's exchange rate has stabilized there isn't really any benefit buying in Europe. The only really benefit at times for importing is in some countries the dealers are more generous with discounting but as these are few and far between the import trade has on the whole dried up.

In fact speccing my S5 in the UK and Germany, it's actually Germany which works out the more expensive.;)

absent
September 16th, 2007, 17:12
Actually UK prices aren't that far off German prices, especially when you spec the two cars the same. As for the importing market, this was the case a few years ago before the introduction of the euro but since it's exchange rate has stabilized there isn't really any benefit buying in Europe. The only really benefit at times for importing is in some countries the dealers are more generous with discounting but as these are few and far between the import trade has on the whole dried up.

In fact speccing my S5 in the UK and Germany, it's actually Germany which works out the more expensive.;)

Then it looks like one of the "benefits"of belonging to EU.
I have some relatives in Poland and they were complaining too ,that prices on everything,cars in particular went much higher after joining the Union.
In case of UK seems like the opposite though...

Leadfoot
September 16th, 2007, 18:27
Then it looks like one of the "benefits"of belonging to EU.
I have some relatives in Poland and they were complaining too ,that prices on everything,cars in particular went much higher after joining the Union.
In case of UK seems like the opposite though...

The problem with the euro at the time was when you decided to join your exchange rate was capped at that level and in some countries it benefited in others it didn't, Britain made the right decision at the time and stayed out. When or if we decided to join our economy has had time to adapted to the euro and we will be one of the ones who benefit.:D

But this still doesn't get pass the fact that cars are way cheaper in the States than the rest of Europe. So my opinion as to why Audi might have decided to hold off on bringing the RS6 to the States is a valid one.

24hours
September 17th, 2007, 02:31

If I can load up an E63 wagon for $105K, why would I pay another 40-50% for an Audi? Well, maybe b/c my wife would say 'yes'!!

Seriously, AoA needs to pull its head out of its arse and read the US market better. We need AWD sport wagons with some real room to boot for family and general use. All due respect for the rings: the S4 Avant is too small, and the V70R is at its limit with 350hp (tuned)... thank god for the stick shift in each!

But seriously, the E63 wagon is killer, but w/ RWD it's a hazard anywhere that gets snow. Also, like any other car it suffers at high altitude (drive from Denver to Vail up Eisenhower Pass and you'll know too), so I see an absolutely huge demand for this car. Bring 2,000 of these over 2-3 years at $110k+ options like ceramic breaks, etc and they'll be in big demand. A buddy w/ a Nov delivery for the R8 got 3 bids for his car at over $45k over MSRP, so there is certainly big demand for "over-priced" cars.

AoA will get more calls and letter from me. Bringing one in like Shokan did a few years is not cost effective. Total cost would be close to $160k or more. At that point, I say "f--- it, I'll get the 997TT." My wife wants that one anyways. And it comes with a stick!

Ciao

LIRS6
September 17th, 2007, 14:19
From my perspective, Audi is doing the U.S. market a favor - the 500 or so enthusiastic buyers that might be here in the USA get spared both the agony of the major depreciation factor after the car is a couple of years old, and the shoddy service that we all are forced to endure. Was the '03 a great success for AoA? - I'm not so sure that it was. It was trumped by Mercedes about 3 months after it's debut, and the last 300 or so RS6's brought over here end '03 sat on dealer's lots for upto 6 months (I bought mine new in May '04).

Leadfoot
September 17th, 2007, 14:26
From my perspective, Audi is doing the U.S. market a favor - the 500 or so enthusiastic buyers that might be here in the USA get spared both the agony of the major depreciation factor after the car is a couple of years old, and the shoddy service that we all are forced to endure. Was the '03 a great success for AoA? - I'm not so sure that it was. It was trumped by Mercedes about 3 months after it's debut, and the last 300 or so RS6's brought over here end '03 sat on dealer's lots for upto 6 months (I bought mine new in May '04).

This is one of the main reasons why the States aren't getting the RS6, don't blame the parent company, blame AoA for all the problems they have had.

absent
September 17th, 2007, 15:48
This is one of the main reasons why the States aren't getting the RS6, don't blame the parent company, blame AoA for all the problems they have had.
That's the essence of the problem,AoA is one of the most mismanaged companies here,sometimes I wonder about the sanity of the people in charge there.:trash:

S6driver
September 17th, 2007, 18:04

This is an absolutely absurd comment. You can't just say its all AoA's fault. Last time I checked, they sold Audi's, which means they have to answer to, and are somewhat controlled by Audi AG. If Audi AG wanted AoA to get their act together, they would make it happen, by either dropping underperforming dealerships, or actually INVESTING in their subsiderary company. If Audi AG wanted, truely wanted, the RS6 to be sold in the US, it would be. AoA is a part of Audi AG. I find it very hard to believe that AoA is some rogue part of the company screwing things up everywhere. The bottom line is Audi doesn't get the NA market. Never have, and probably never will. Especially if they continue to be such bone heads. What you are saying is basically, "don't blame Bush for failure in Iraq, blame the Department of Defense for all the problems they have had". Gimme a break dude....Audi doesn't care about the NA market and are unwilling to properly invest in it. And thats fine with me. Just don't keep saying(Audi that is), you want to improve in the US market. Because you don't. Cry me a river Audi, when BMW and MB both keep selling 10X the amount of cars you do in the world's largest car market. Oh, and Leadfoot, I like how you've never mentiond what the M5, M6, R8, and E63 go for in the UK. Because if you did, it would blow your ," its all about the exchange rate" BS right out of the water. How is it BMW and MB manage keep prices in line in both markets? How did almighty Audi AG manage to keep the R8 prices in line? Oh, that's right, guys like you are really subsidising the US market. LOL!!! Sounds like you are way too bitter about that one.

Leadfoot
September 17th, 2007, 18:49
This is an absolutely absurd comment. You can't just say its all AoA's fault. Last time I checked, they sold Audi's, which means they have to answer to, and are somewhat controlled by Audi AG. If Audi AG wanted AoA to get their act together, they would make it happen, by either dropping underperforming dealerships, or actually INVESTING in their subsiderary company. If Audi AG wanted, truely wanted, the RS6 to be sold in the US, it would be. AoA is a part of Audi AG. I find it very hard to believe that AoA is some rogue part of the company screwing things up everywhere. The bottom line is Audi doesn't get the NA market. Never have, and probably never will. Especially if they continue to be such bone heads. What you are saying is basically, "don't blame Bush for failure in Iraq, blame the Department of Defense for all the problems they have had". Gimme a break dude....Audi doesn't care about the NA market and are unwilling to properly invest in it. And thats fine with me. Just don't keep saying(Audi that is), you want to improve in the US market. Because you don't. Cry me a river Audi, when BMW and MB both keep selling 10X the amount of cars you do in the world's largest car market. Oh, and Leadfoot, I like how you've never mentiond what the M5, M6, R8, and E63 go for in the UK. Because if you did, it would blow your ," its all about the exchange rate" BS right out of the water. How is it BMW and MB manage keep prices in line in both markets? How did almighty Audi AG manage to keep the R8 prices in line? Oh, that's right, guys like you are really subsidising the US market. LOL!!! Sounds like you are way too bitter about that one.

Firstly it's not all the fault of AoA but they are a major reason for the RS6 not coming to the States, this I have on very good authority.

Secondly is the emissions, if you remember I informed you all that there may have been a chance that the RS6 producing only 560hp instead of the 580hp it's actually has, well this was down to meeting the emission/Co2 levels to meet the US market, but this would only come about if AoA were to meet the requirement of Audi AG with regards to servicing training etc and part of this would have been only limited dealers being able to stock and service the car.

The decision was taken not the supply, who knows for why, maybe because of the limited sales potential 1000 max and most likely the retail price required. But the facts are at present no RS6 will be coming stateside and bumper mods aren't part of the reason.;)

I didn't bring up the E63 or M5 price because we are talking about Audis and not the others but I agree with the statement you made both are going to be priced within £10K of the RS6. But I stand by my statement that Europe are paying the price for American customers to have their cars cheap, this is unfair to the rest of us and the sooner manufacturers say enough is enough, the rest of us will be the better for it. But the real problem lays with your on domestic companies, they are selling there on cars way to cheap and are forcing all other to compete.

It may sound like I am bitter but if truth be told and the shoe was on the other foot and instead you were paying way more than Europe, I very much doubt you wouldn't be complaining.;)

Audiphile
September 17th, 2007, 20:21
Well, I can very well see how this situation would be the result of another AoA blunder. It seems no one is running the show there at times with their less than aggressive attitude towards the US market. However, to give AoA a bit of credit, they are heavily investing in dealerships including buying back underperforming ones or ones with bad reputations. They have been quite aggressive in the SoCal market taking out several dealerships and prepping for $40 Million one in Santa Monica according to many dealers here. This is where their concentration is at this time.

On another note, I recevied a call back this morning from my Audi A8L Advocate who stated that Audi of America has been inidated with inquiries regarding the RS6 and demanding that it comes here. They are now reconsidering the whole matter. Well, we will have to wait to see if this is true or not. Leadfoot will know more, but hopefully by the time the sedan is released they will have made the right decision. Let's hope so for their sake more than mine.:rs6kiss: and S6:heart:

oce
September 18th, 2007, 02:29
There is no official or unofficial time at Nürburgring, but the 0-200 km/h time is what the R&D department reported.

Any bad news? Unfortunately yes. The car will not be sold in the USA, mainly due to emissions and the cost of making new bumbers and other US specific parts. Big mistake if you ask me, if Audi wants to grow on a market dominated by MB and BMW they will have to rethink.

BONUS: I have 2 Audi RS6 Avant sales brochures. I will have to keep one myself, but what do I do best with the spare one? Lottery, bidding, give it to “RS6.com member of the year”? Please give me your ideas at rs6com@gmail.com or via pm :D

1) What was the time the R&D department reported?
2) Who said there would be no US release, and were they specifically talking about the Avant?
3) Why not scan the brochure and share it with everybody on this forum?

BTW, All this discussion on price appears to be moot. This type of vehicle isn't designed to be affordable, or for everyone. If a person can't afford to buy this type of vehicle without thinking about the price, then they probably shouldn't even consider it.

Audiphile
September 18th, 2007, 03:33
"Jacoby said he will implement a new strategy that includes five pillars: product, brand positioning, dealer network, organization and, ultimately, the possibility of local production. A premium will be put on connecting more with customers, and fostering a culture of fresh ideas and bold thinking. Additionally, the Company will focus efforts on producing more cars designed specifically with the U.S. market in mind."

Hmm...should take his own advice and focus on what Audi owners would like to see such as the RS6.

24hours
September 18th, 2007, 04:32
This type of vehicle isn't designed to be affordable, or for everyone. If a person can't afford to buy this type of vehicle without thinking about the price, then they probably shouldn't even consider it.

I've been told by someone with some contacts on the 'ad side' at Audi that the sedan is probably coming to the US, with a target price of $138,000. Funny, b/c was unsure about Audi's commitment to the sedan... period. Makes sense to make a sedan given the time and money spent on making the RS6 changes from the S6 model.

But to address the second point above, what is the right level of affordability for a car like this? "Affordable" is a strange term in reference to a $125K+ car. Seems like state of mind to me, but price still matters.

absent
September 18th, 2007, 06:45
I've been told by someone with some contacts on the 'ad side' at Audi that the sedan is probably coming to the US, with a target price of $138,000. Funny, b/c was unsure about Audi's commitment to the sedan... period. Makes sense to make a sedan given the time and money spent on making the RS6 changes from the S6 model.

But to address the second point above, what is the right level of affordability for a car like this? "Affordable" is a strange term in reference to a $125K+ car. Seems like state of mind to me, but price still matters.
To me ,RS6 with "unofficial" 600+hp,AWD etc, would be more desirable then CLK63 Black Series at the similar price.
I'm game........

Erik
September 18th, 2007, 07:27
I've been told by someone with some contacts on the 'ad side' at Audi that the sedan is probably coming to the US

This is what I'm thinking as well, I can only hope it is true.

:rs6kiss:

Erik
September 18th, 2007, 07:44
1) What was the time the R&D department reported?
2) Who said there would be no US release, and were they specifically talking about the Avant?
3) Why not scan the brochure and share it with everybody on this forum?

1) The one stated officially, but I'd take the statement with a grain of salt. I'm still hoping it's conservative.
2) I don't want to reveal my source and perhaps get him/her into trouble, let's say it someone working at quattro GmbH. As the RS6 sedan is not official we're always talking about the Avant.
3) Good idea, but I just have a little too much on my hands at the moment. We'll see.

Leadfoot
September 18th, 2007, 08:03
1) The one stated officially, but I'd take the statement with a grain of salt. I'm still hoping it's conservative.
2) I don't want to reveal my source and perhaps get him/her into trouble, let's say it someone working at quattro GmbH. As the RS6 sedan is not official we're always talking about the Avant.
3) Good idea, but I just have a little too much on my hands at the moment. We'll see.

Sounds like we have one in the same good friend supplying us the info on the RS6.;)

I have been told that the times are indeed conservative and I have little reason to doubt this based on the power/weight on the car, especially when you factor in the amazingly board torque band and the figures themselves.

Ring time will be better than the RS4 but the margin is the only thing he hasn't told me. But it was accompanied with a ' ;) ' so I reckon it better than expected.:D

Erik
September 18th, 2007, 08:55
Ring time will be better than the RS4 but the margin

Considering the RS6 Avant won't have r-tires that would be quite an achiement.
We shall see...faster than the M5 is all I ask for :D (and a few Porsches would be nice as well) :hihi:

Leadfoot
September 18th, 2007, 15:01

$138,000 is a figure in keeping with the current exchange rate so I reckon if AoA sold them at this, then they would be able to make a profit but would our American cousins be willing to pay such a high premium over the competition? I guess at this power output the RS6 is beyond the normal M5/E63 level and in a way has moved to the CL65 performance bracket almost and as such could possibly get away with the higher price.

That's the $138,000 dollar question. :vhmmm:

Leadfoot
September 18th, 2007, 15:08
Considering the RS6 Avant won't have r-tires that would be quite an achiement.
We shall see...faster than the M5 is all I ask for :D (and a few Porsches would be nice as well) :hihi:

Erik,

I can only relay what was told to me and if we are talking about the same guy then you will know that what he says is on the money, in fact everything I have told the group has been exactly right.

As for the M5, I have no doubt it will be quicker and the few Porsches, well that is easy, sure there's the Cayenne, Cayenne S and the Cayenne Turbo. That's already three to get you started.;)

itisme
September 18th, 2007, 15:37
viewed the beast, too....

Benman
September 18th, 2007, 16:05
That's the $138,000 dollar question. :vhmmm:

Some here will be willing to pay that... I will not.

itisme
September 18th, 2007, 16:07
maybe aftermarket will bring your time...

is it still very expensive buying second hand cars from foreign countries?

CornersWell
September 18th, 2007, 20:16
I am pretty disappointed that no RS6 will be coming to the US. I suppose that can change, though. So, maybe our comments can in some way influence Audi's decision (wherever and at whatever level it was made).

For a long time, I've considered my RS6 to be the best all-round car I've ever owned. That's having had other Audis, BMWs, M-series, Benzes, AMGs, P-cars and a fair number of Ferraris. I've raced in Grand Am and other series, so I feel I am reasonably qualified to opine on the merits.

In my opinion, Audi's failure to import the RS6 Mk II is a huge blunder. First, Audi will not even offer a competitor in the top sedan category. While cost may be a factor, it is extremely shortsighted given Audi's seemingly successful RS "toe-in-the-water". Either Audi should keep their foot in the throttle and continue to compete, or they should get out. So, if they're choosing to get out (which isn't what I would like to see), then they should cease their racing efforts altogether here in the US. If you want to create brand awareness, go to the track. Go to ALMS for brand awareness amongst the cognoscenti. They've been very successful there, so it would be just silly to not continue along this direction. Ceding the top spot to BMW's M5 and AMG's E55/E63 is plain stupefying.

Second, it is true that Audi's product and dealer/service reputation is not great and already has a black mark with the unintended acceleration. If dealers can't service the cars properly, people won't buy another. Specialized service tech training for the RS6 didn't help, but why train techs for a one-hit wonder? My closest dealer lost their RS6 tech and didn't bother to replace him. All RS6 owners must now go elsewhere. And, if you think I would even consider buying another car from them, they've got another thing coming.

Third, dropping included maintenance is a step in the wrong direction. Only BMW now includes maintenance. I'm therefore leaning towards an M5 when it's time to get out of the RS6. I honestly don't care for BMW's service, but the service cost on these cars is so high that it's a huge value.

Fourth, enough of the "well, it's the same car, but you can't get the _____ here in the US." Insert RS6 Avant, Recaro seats, NAV, steering wheel, or whatever! Just flat out silly. We can thank the DOT for this, I suppose. Or Audi's cost control decisions. Either way, it's ridiculous.

Fifth, I see AMG's everywhere. I see plentiful M3s and an occasional M5. I rarely see an RS4, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen another RS6 in the wild. Audi is doing a good job of not diluting the special nature of the RS series, but abandoning it in the US doesn't make sense to me. No real point, I suppose other than Audi is in the process of building a special image. Why abandon it now?

Sixth, I ask what's the purpose of the S series? Neither serious competitor (BMW or Benz) seems to make a mid-range distinction. Although, that statement may be open to some argument. I've long felt that Audi is trying to do too many things and be all things to all people. Their product line-up is too large and unsupportable ultimately. A3, A4, A6, A8, S3, S4, S6, S8, RS4, RS6, R8, Q7, TT and the list goes on and on. If by eliminating the RS6 from their product line is how Audi will trim it down, I think it's misguided. Trim out the S-cars. That said, however, Benz does offer anything in an AMG series. Weird strategy. I mean, who wants an ML63, R63 or a G55? I realize that some of you may have and love these cars. My point is that these manufacturers are almost going to bespoke cars. Benz will probably produce less that 1,000 R63s (if that much). Why bother?

Seventh, it seemed strange to me that RS6s didn't sell well here in the US initially. However, they've ascended to a bit of a cult car status (my words and opinion). Now, why squander this?

Eighth, fully sort these cars before releasing them to production. The DRC and transmission failures were sure signs of underdevelopment. Sort them right in the first place, and the warranty work won't get out of control.

Anyway, these are all just random thoughts. I do wish Audi would re-consider their decision. Of course price is a consideration, but in the end it would likely sell as Audi really offers something no one else does: 4WD in a very high performance sedan/wagon. And, if Audi is going to offer an RS6 at $110K, $130K or $150K, I hope it includes maintenance.

CW

Leadfoot
September 18th, 2007, 20:50
Sixth, I ask what's the purpose of the S series? Neither serious competitor (BMW or Benz) seems to make a mid-range distinction. Although, that statement may be open to some argument. I've long felt that Audi is trying to do too many things and be all things to all people. Their product line-up is too large and unsupportable ultimately. A3, A4, A6, A8, S3, S4, S6, S8, RS4, RS6, R8, Q7, TT and the list goes on and on. If by eliminating the RS6 from their product line is how Audi will trim it down, I think it's misguided. Trim out the S-cars. That said, however, Benz does offer anything in an AMG series. Weird strategy. I mean, who wants an ML63, R63 or a G55? I realize that some of you may have and love these cars. My point is that these manufacturers are almost going to bespoke cars. Benz will probably produce less that 1,000 R63s (if that much). Why bother?

You have a lot of interesting points but I decided to center on the S model debate. You see the S as a waste of time and development and dropping it would in your opinion trim the line-up down to a more manageable level.

The S models in the various trims S3, S4, S5, S6 and S8 aren't really that different than BMW's equivalent M/Sport versions of their top specced engined cars prior to the M range, they have the 135iM/Sport and we have the S3, 335iM/Sport vs S4, 335iCoupe M/Sport vs S5 and so on and so on. The advantage of the S model has is that on average Audi can offer something a little more special than the similar BMW and charge a little more for it and that is the name of the game, making money.

I look at the 335iM/Sport and what I see is nothing more than a 320d with a bodykit and bigger engine but on the most part no one could tell the two apart, especially with the M/Sport bodykit. At least with the S model you have something special, the engines are be-spoke and so is the seats, bodykit, alloys, paint options and a lot of the trim, so in all cases you do notice to difference and I feel that most are happy to pay that little more for them.

To lose one of the things that make Audi different from the others would be the equivalent to dropping Quattro and going down the rwd chassis route.

Now who here would want something like that to happen.:noshake:

CornersWell
September 18th, 2007, 21:50
Leadie,

Given that I haven't even been in a BMW dealership in over 2 years, I could certainly be out of touch with their line-up. So, if I'm wrong, please do correct me.

However, to the best of my knowledge, BMW does not offer a mid-range performance line in the US. Possibly you do have one in Europe, but here in the US, I believe it is strictly base models and M-series. They've got the 3, 5 and 7 series, which correspond to the A4, A6 and A8. They've got the Z which competes with the TT, I suppose. They've got the X (5 and 3) which competes with the Q. They've got the 6 which competes with the 5. Yikes! It's gotten to be overwhelming, honestly.

You may well be correct that there is a 335i Sport. I wouldn't be that surpised if there is. My first car was a 320is, the "upgrade" of the 320i. However, it was really just an aesthetics and handling package. No performance gains, IIRC.

The point I was trying to make, I suppose, is that the S-series detracts from the RS development. Of course, Audi AG and AoA would know the sales figures and be able to better judge the more "important" models. However, if you want to be considered top notch, you have to offer the top notch cars. There may always be differences in the line-ups due to market dynamics, rules and regulations, but Audi seems to be making a choice not to bring the RS6 to the US. I, for one, would be interested in the RS6 Avant. I would also be interested in the RS6 sedan. But, if you have a make a choice (S6 v. RS6), I'd say the decision is really about where Audi wants to be perceived by the gearheads. But, if you want to be the best of the heap, you have to bring the best.

It may also be true that the RS6 was not a profitable endeavour for Audi in the US. I couldn't say. And, this may be a significant reason why Audi isn't interested in the RS6 for the US. I'd ask, though, why it wasn't. The car was the most expensive Audi ever sold here. If the original pricing was correct, the issue is the warranty work. That's largely a function of how well developed the systems were (or weren't).

Anyway, I'm happy to be corrected on the matter. I am obviously hopeful that the RS6 will find its' way to the US shores again. Notwithstanding the shortcomings (seats and NAV, in particular), the 1st gen RS6 is still a superb car, and I'm sure this next gen car is better in all ways. I thought the new interior looked wonderful, and it would be a shame for Audi to not bring their best.

The US is the most significant market in the world for autos (both by number sold and dollar volume), I would imagine. To bypass and ignore this market is, in a word, surprising. That's not to say that Audi doesn't have good reasons not to bring the RS6. There may be many. However, if companies like Ferrari and Lamborghini can make a go with their cars (and supercars) here, I would think that Audi would want to be here showcasing their abilities, too. And, the very fact that AMG and the M-series cars do so well here (assuming they do), would suggest that the RS series can also do well.

CW

iconcls
September 18th, 2007, 21:57
Talk about sapping resources and distractions, no one has even mentioned that white elephant the Phaeton; just think if even some of those VAG resources were poured into bolstering the Audi NA position.

CornersWell
September 18th, 2007, 22:25
Agreed. The Phaeton was a waste of time and resources. Hopefully, VAG learned something from it.

CW

diesel king
September 19th, 2007, 04:09
While I am sure I will get flamed by the Audi faithful, I loved our phaeton. We had 36,000 trouble free miles and it led us to Audi.

Leadfoot
September 19th, 2007, 05:53
You have to remember that Audi don't see the RS model as a mainstream model like BMW do with their M or Mercedes with it's AMG, Audi presently only produce the RS models in limited supply and only one model at a time so if they dropped the S model range then Audi wouldn't have a performance model over the entire range at all.

Surely that is more important than a limited supply RS model.

As for the Phaeton, the idea was correct. Develop a luxury top of the line model to compete and better the best and with it's rave reviews then the rest of the range below will get a much needed boost and allow for them to be regards above their present position and charge more for them. Sadly the Phaeton didn't meet the desire reviews and has done nothing more than supply the Bentley with it's underpinnings.

Finalmix
September 19th, 2007, 05:54
I'm pretty sure the exclusive part of this new RS6 will give way to enter the states given some time. I never really liked wagons, but I'd sport this one any day on the streets of Miami.

Finalmix
September 19th, 2007, 05:57
i wonder if the RS^ limo will have a HO engine. mebbe with 600 hp?

Hello fellow Floridian. Are you one of the like 3 owners of RS6s in FL, lol.

absent
September 19th, 2007, 13:16
I am pretty disappointed that no RS6 will be coming to the US. I suppose that can change, though. So, maybe our comments can in some way influence Audi's decision (wherever and at whatever level it was made).

For a long time, I've considered my RS6 to be the best all-round car I've ever owned. That's having had other Audis, BMWs, M-series, Benzes, AMGs, P-cars and a fair number of Ferraris. I've raced in Grand Am and other series, so I feel I am reasonably qualified to opine on the merits.

In my opinion, Audi's failure to import the RS6 Mk II is a huge blunder. First, Audi will not even offer a competitor in the top sedan category. While cost may be a factor, it is extremely shortsighted given Audi's seemingly successful RS "toe-in-the-water". Either Audi should keep their foot in the throttle and continue to compete, or they should get out. So, if they're choosing to get out (which isn't what I would like to see), then they should cease their racing efforts altogether here in the US. If you want to create brand awareness, go to the track. Go to ALMS for brand awareness amongst the cognoscenti. They've been very successful there, so it would be just silly to not continue along this direction. Ceding the top spot to BMW's M5 and AMG's E55/E63 is plain stupefying.

Second, it is true that Audi's product and dealer/service reputation is not great and already has a black mark with the unintended acceleration. If dealers can't service the cars properly, people won't buy another. Specialized service tech training for the RS6 didn't help, but why train techs for a one-hit wonder? My closest dealer lost their RS6 tech and didn't bother to replace him. All RS6 owners must now go elsewhere. And, if you think I would even consider buying another car from them, they've got another thing coming.

Third, dropping included maintenance is a step in the wrong direction. Only BMW now includes maintenance. I'm therefore leaning towards an M5 when it's time to get out of the RS6. I honestly don't care for BMW's service, but the service cost on these cars is so high that it's a huge value.

Fourth, enough of the "well, it's the same car, but you can't get the _____ here in the US." Insert RS6 Avant, Recaro seats, NAV, steering wheel, or whatever! Just flat out silly. We can thank the DOT for this, I suppose. Or Audi's cost control decisions. Either way, it's ridiculous.

Fifth, I see AMG's everywhere. I see plentiful M3s and an occasional M5. I rarely see an RS4, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen another RS6 in the wild. Audi is doing a good job of not diluting the special nature of the RS series, but abandoning it in the US doesn't make sense to me. No real point, I suppose other than Audi is in the process of building a special image. Why abandon it now?

Seventh, it seemed strange to me that RS6s didn't sell well here in the US initially. However, they've ascended to a bit of a cult car status (my words and opinion). Now, why squander this?

Eighth, fully sort these cars before releasing them to production. The DRC and transmission failures were sure signs of underdevelopment. Sort them right in the first place, and the warranty work won't get out of control.

Anyway, these are all just random thoughts. I do wish Audi would re-consider their decision. Of course price is a consideration, but in the end it would likely sell as Audi really offers something no one else does: 4WD in a very high performance sedan/wagon. And, if Audi is going to offer an RS6 at $110K, $130K or $150K, I hope it includes maintenance.

CW
Great post overall,couple comments though;
R63 AMG is dropped from US for '08,
Reason for poor sales of the RS6 here was mainly the decision to bring it to US at the very end of the A6 production cycle,making that car obsolete looking from the start.
Promising 800 or so units (potentially very exclusive with guaranteed resale)and after the sellout bringing additional batch of cars in '04 but titled '03 did not help Audi dealers to move these things either.

CornersWell
September 19th, 2007, 13:27
Leadie,

So, if I read your post correctly, Audi lines up the S-series against BMW's M-series and the Benz/AMGs? That seems like a mismatch. If that's how Audi perceives the competition, then they aren't in touch.

I view it as follows:

RS6 competes with M5 and E63/E55

S6 competes with ?

A6 competes with 5 and E series.

Are we in simpatico?

CW

CornersWell
September 19th, 2007, 13:43
Absent,

Glad to hear the R63 is dropped. It was a silly concept to begin with (though no more silly, perhaps, than a G63/55 or ML63/55, IMO) and the whole R-class has been a significant disappointment and loss for Daimler.

You are correct that the RS6 arrived at the tail-end of the previous A6 life cycle, and you may also be correct that that accounts at least somewhat for the initial lackluster sales. However, companies like Ferrari have increasingly used the same tactics to prolong the sales of aging models. Consider the Barchetta, 348 Speciale or the Challenge Stradale. Each of these was introduced at the tail end and sold very well (and continue to do so...except for the Speciales). Announced in limited production quantities. Mostly aesthetic and handling as opposed to engine performance upgrades, though. Premium pricing. While this example may not be totally correct, it does show that the strategy can work (at least for Ferrari). Admittedly, Ferrari may be one company that can sell ice to eskimos if they so choose and have a line out the door and around the corner waiting.

I am not as sure about the roughly 50% increase in production from 800 to ~1200 units in the US had as great an effect on the RS6 sales figures, but I'm certainly willing to understand that it might have. The RS6 is a great car, but buyers certainly gulped a bit at the approximately $90K selling price. Remember, until that point Audi really hadn't offered anything near that price. It was a big jump. Maybe the R8 will be a huge success or maybe not, but the pricing is another step up, and some buyers will balk even with the very favorable press. Personally, I don't care for the look of the R8, but that's a tangent. And, with Audi's presence in ALMS and huge successes with the R8 and R10 programmes, it would be natural for Audi to attempt to recoup at least some of the development costs of the RS6 from increased production despite the potential dilutive effect on market values. And, until recently, RS6 values had held up quite nicely.

As for the '03 v. '04 MY point, I am not in disagreement, but not in full agreement, either. Does one MY make a significant difference? The car is what it is, and since they're all the same MY, the only important difference amongst them is the "in-service date" and the duration of the warranty. Unless I'm missing your point here, which I may be. If I am, please correct me.

CW

absent
September 19th, 2007, 14:59
Absent,

Glad to hear the R63 is dropped. It was a silly concept to begin with (though no more silly, perhaps, than a G63/55 or ML63/55, IMO) and the whole R-class has been a significant disappointment and loss for Daimler.

You are correct that the RS6 arrived at the tail-end of the previous A6 life cycle, and you may also be correct that that accounts at least somewhat for the initial lackluster sales. However, companies like Ferrari have increasingly used the same tactics to prolong the sales of aging models. Consider the Barchetta, 348 Speciale or the Challenge Stradale. Each of these was introduced at the tail end and sold very well (and continue to do so...except for the Speciales). Announced in limited production quantities. Mostly aesthetic and handling as opposed to engine performance upgrades, though. Premium pricing. While this example may not be totally correct, it does show that the strategy can work (at least for Ferrari). Admittedly, Ferrari may be one company that can sell ice to eskimos if they so choose and have a line out the door and around the corner waiting.

I am not as sure about the roughly 50% increase in production from 800 to ~1200 units in the US had as great an effect on the RS6 sales figures, but I'm certainly willing to understand that it might have. The RS6 is a great car, but buyers certainly gulped a bit at the approximately $90K selling price. Remember, until that point Audi really hadn't offered anything near that price. It was a big jump. Maybe the R8 will be a huge success or maybe not, but the pricing is another step up, and some buyers will balk even with the very favorable press. Personally, I don't care for the look of the R8, but that's a tangent. And, with Audi's presence in ALMS and huge successes with the R8 and R10 programmes, it would be natural for Audi to attempt to recoup at least some of the development costs of the RS6 from increased production despite the potential dilutive effect on market values. And, until recently, RS6 values had held up quite nicely.

As for the '03 v. '04 MY point, I am not in disagreement, but not in full agreement, either. Does one MY make a significant difference? The car is what it is, and since they're all the same MY, the only important difference amongst them is the "in-service date" and the duration of the warranty. Unless I'm missing your point here, which I may be. If I am, please correct me.

CW

MY may not be extremely important to some buyers and may be very important to others splurging a significant sum of money on a new car.(especially with "safer" in that regard,offerings by AMG etc).
Comment about Ferrari and Eskimos is right on the money but then we are talking "Ferrari" and that situation does not happen to any other manufacturer of cars,with Lambos etc only dreaming of being "there".

Benman
September 19th, 2007, 15:39
Corners Well, good points. :cheers:

And true Icon, look what WV sunk into the Phaeton... Audi couldn't sink some $$$ into the MkII :rs6kiss: ??? Strange.

Either way, I'd wager with enough stink, AoA will bring the car here... eventually.

But I would also wager that it will end up being $120K-$130K+, and that will sadly price it well beyond my range.

RXBG
September 19th, 2007, 15:58
Hello fellow Floridian. Are you one of the like 3 owners of RS6s in FL, lol.

nope. no rs6 here. just an S4. but something more exciting on the way...

no worries though. i am sure the new RS6 sedan will go on sale here in the US as a 2009 model. i think we'll see it in geneva in march. it'll be expensive though. about 100K. still, not bad. audi needs that car here in the US. if only as a formality that doesn't make any money for them.

Leadfoot
September 19th, 2007, 16:15
Leadie,

So, if I read your post correctly, Audi lines up the S-series against BMW's M-series and the Benz/AMGs? That seems like a mismatch. If that's how Audi perceives the competition, then they aren't in touch.

I view it as follows:

RS6 competes with M5 and E63/E55

S6 competes with ?

A6 competes with 5 and E series.

Are we in simpatico?

CW

Sorry mate but I don't think you are getting me. The S models are slightly more special than their BMW equivalents but not close to being a true rival to the M3/5/6 etc. If you look at the A4/3 series model as an example, the differences between the S the RS and the BMW normal range and the M you will have noticed that the RS4 was always had that bit more performance than the equivalent M3 car and in turn it was ahead of the S4 which was ahead of the most powerful 3 series. But the problem is Audi at present don't really have rivals to the M cars, like I said there has only been one RS models at a time, so they only rival one M car at a time and for a limited period and in limited numbers.

Audi do have a problem at the minute, clearly the S model isn't capable of competing with the M cars and with no full compliment of RS cars in the near future Audi can't rival the other German manufacturers. So either they up the performance of the S models to compete or expand Quattro GmbH to the kind of capacity that would allow them to rival the output BMW achieve with their M-Division.

Only time will tell which of the above decisions Audi choose and if it will be the right one.:looking:

RXBG
September 19th, 2007, 17:15
if i can shed light on the M to S to RS matching....

audi is in a transition state. until recently audi could not produce more than one RS model at a time.

for the time being, the S will be below the M in performance, approximately equalling upper end "regular" non-M version of bimmer lines. this is how it has been thus far, though car mags did their best to sell you other ideas in order to sell magazines.

however, in the upcoming years the S will move upmarket in performance to match M and AMG lines. the RS will continue to be made and will expand to more than one model produced at one time, as quattro gmbh grows.

to follow, mercedes will expand its AMG "black editions" to match RS, and BMW will expand the CSL lines in suit, while making the CSL's more luxurious and less hardcore.

this is my humble opinion. i do NOT think things will remain static or that BMW and mercedes will create an intermediate level performance category like S.

florin08
September 20th, 2007, 19:10
Hey , I have read an article which says that BMW will launch a new version of the M5 which will also produce about 570 HP. What say you about this?I hope it will not be faster than the new RS6

artur777
September 20th, 2007, 20:07
florin08, I think that M5 with 570hp will be slightly faster than RS6 but not that good while cornering though due to the lack of Quattro GMbH

HKS786
September 20th, 2007, 20:54
florin08, I think that M5 with 570hp will be slightly faster than RS6 but not that good while cornering though due to the lack of Quattro GMbH

true, and let's not forget that 570bhp isnt official, it's just speculation. Also, we have no idea what the price could be...

Skaala
September 21st, 2007, 01:19
Some here will be willing to pay that... I will not.

if it comes at around 140k USD, it'll be 1/3 of the Norwegian price. Sadly I doubt it will sell more than 3-5, tops in Norway. It is priced almost similar to the F430 because of our new of last years new import taxes which favours diesel cars under 1.99liters and under 176,9hp.:cry: :cry:

Benman
September 21st, 2007, 16:38
if it comes at around 140k USD, it'll be 1/3 of the Norwegian price.

But then, you guys get "free" healthcare... ;)

And no, I could not afford $420K either. ;)

SAF
September 22nd, 2007, 00:33
The '08 RS6 has ? that is an improvement over my '03??

A warranty.

The bhp I can match with a chip. The new body style I can live without. I'm guessing my maintenance costs on my Beast will be less than a new car payment chipping away at 100k+ contract. AND, I can go drive it right now!! I think I'll be OK whether it gets to the US or not.

absent
September 22nd, 2007, 01:38
The '08 RS6 has ? that is an improvement over my '03??

A warranty.

The bhp I can match with a chip. The new body style I can live without. I'm guessing my maintenance costs on my Beast will be less than a new car payment chipping away at 100k+ contract. AND, I can go drive it right now!! I think I'll be OK whether it gets to the US or not.
The real hp is somewhere in the 600 range,you can not get that in '03 RS6 with just a chip.
There are plenty of MTM,Hoppen etc RS6 claiming high 500hp but somehow very few actually achieved these numbers.
Now,just imagine what you could have with a chipped V10 RS6.....

SAF
September 22nd, 2007, 02:34
Oh yes, believe me, I'm very good at imagining! But I just don't think a 600 hp two ton car will do much more very much faster than I'm able to do right now. I'm more content knowing I have a unique vehicle that has and does everything I want, than getting upset about maybe not having the option to get the new one.

But a chipped V10TT would certainly be sweet!

kip
September 22nd, 2007, 13:18
[quote=HKS786;107033]More shots:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/J78628/img_1710.jpg
ote]

Funny how the seat looks worn out allready??!!

SAF
September 22nd, 2007, 18:01
OK, I desire the steering wheel.

CornersWell
October 1st, 2007, 21:20
Any further news on the RS6 availability for the US?

CW

mmaturo
October 1st, 2007, 21:36
ML63 AMG -

Ummmmm actually I can pretty much assure you there is more in Chicagoland...they have been horded here, both RS6 and RS4s...

PS- I will pay whatever also for the next RS6...send it over. I think 1000 cars would sell.

moldowan
October 3rd, 2007, 12:48
with over 7 million people in the greater chi town area it think your right-LOL

jimrd
October 7th, 2007, 02:20
per capita, my brutha.....