PDA

View Full Version : J D Engineering Remap

t urbo
September 9th, 2007, 19:16
For some time now I have been interested in modifying my car but hadn’t found a company I was fully happy with or that could supply what I wanted, then JD Engineering came along.

I fully appreciate there are only minimal gains to be had with Ecu Remaps on the N/A engine of the RS4 B7 so all the talk (over on another forum) of an extra 30-35 horses overall and never ending straight line torque curves just made me realise it was going to take a while to find the right company for the job.

JD Engineering is based in the Netherlands which at first sounds a long way but in fact is some 90 miles less then when I drove up to Glasgow a couple of weeks ago, and only a stones throw from the Autobahn’s which they use as testing grounds in conjunction with their Rolling Road.
The Owner Joroen builds and programmes anything Audi or VW, and has in excess of a couple of thousand hours in the programming of the Ecu used in the RS4. With regards to the programming of the RS4 he has spent over 500 hours developing his own maps on his own car. I have to say at this point what an excellent set up Joroen has, his rolling road room, service area and workshop area is similar to a Porsche service workshop.

First up the car is loaded onto the Dyno and couple of runs were carried out to get some baseline figures, these were in 3rd and 5th gears.

Baseline figures were 422.8 Nm and 393.5 Hp.
These could have been a fraction better had I not have filled up with Shell V-power! Their V-Power is only 95 Ron, Doh!

Next the software was downloaded. It turns out my car had the 50 version which was old and needed upgrading to the newer 80 version so Joroen removed the Ecu’s from the car and loaded the new software and then flashed the new maps onto them, they do not need opening for this.
The Ecu’s were flashed outside of the car to prevent any corruption/interference in the new program.

Ecu’s back and a couple more runs were carried out in 3rd and 5th gear.
The new maps give a gain in Hp and Trq throughout the rev range through adjustment in the Camshafts and Timing and not just in fuelling.
The programming is the same in both Non and Sport mode’s with the exception that now in Sport mode the Exhaust flaps Stay open all the time which gives a nice sound in the lower revs and a nice burble when off the accelerator.
The throttle bodies now open 100% all the time regardless of what gear you are in and at what rpm you are at, which has helped the torque to be ironed out so I no longer have the surge at 5500 rpm and the rev limiter is increased to around 8350prm. The 8250 limit on these cars isn’t so, they cut out at around 8150rpm but the needle shows 8250!
The rev limit has been lowered from the 7000 rpm when cold to 4300 rpm, which will stop the missus and any service yob doing any damage while it’s still cold, after the oil reaches 60 c the limiter is raised as before.
The speed limiter had been reset at 320 kph so I am not limited should I ever come across a hill steep enough to get me there.

The new figures after the remap were 437.5 Nm and 409.1 Hp which added up to around 15 extra Tq and 15 Extra Hp overall. Again these could be a little better had I not filled up with 95 Ron. The programming is for 100 Ron and you could see at higher rpm the car was pulling back on the timing a fair bit.

In the Lower revs the increase is around 34 Nm of Tq and 35 hp in 1st-3rd gears (this is below 5500 rpm which is where the throttle bodies only opened 50-60% before and now open 100%).

Overall I am very very happy with the new map and the way the car now drives, the car feels and is quicker in the lower revs in the lower gears and is smoother to drive. After filling up with a couple of tanks of 100 Ron V-power the car feels stronger in the higher gears too.
Joroen can program your car to how you want so there is a lot of flexibility there.
Also if your too far away you can simply send your Ecu(s) to him with your requirements and he will bench flash it and sent it straight back.

A big thanks to Joroen and his guys for a great day.

Lee

Marty72
September 10th, 2007, 07:47
Hi Lee.

I've just read your upgrade story with great interest,as I recently took my RS4 into my local Audi dealer for a routine job,and was told that there was a software upgrade to be done on my car.
Only to find to my horror on my cars return that it had been re-mapped and now doesn't drive anything like before IE:not as loud,not as sharp(in sport mode),no sudden kick of power around 5500 RPM(which I liked) and is allot smoother to drive than before(I bought a raw sports saloon).Now that would have been OK if I had been unhappy with my RS before hand but I wasn't and now I'm having murder with Audi UK as I've asked them to reverse the Re-map only to be told that's not possible(Which as your story proves is total rubbish).
The difference with you is that you've had the choice of Re-map or no Re-map, whereas I didn't get that choice and I'm on collision course for mighty fall out with Audi as they do not want to play ball.
I don't think Audi had any right to alter my car's performance without my consent,if you think I'm sounding a little bitter about all this you'd be quite right.:vgrumpy:

t urbo
September 10th, 2007, 12:13
I have to agree, they should tell you exactly what they are going to do after all it is your car not theirs. Your car probably had the old 50 software and the new one is 80 so they just upgraded it, its meant to make the car smoother when cold.
You could always get a re-map from JD!

Andyuk911
September 10th, 2007, 12:48
Few points here, this remap seems to have been well thought out and includes the exhaust valve activation. I don't know of any other remappers bothering with this.

I have been having extra oil changes and also notice an ECU update... I don';t think you will be able to stop this unless you stick post it notes everywhere ! I do this to stop them from washing my car !

Marty72
September 10th, 2007, 14:47
Hi Andy.

No matter how thorough you think this upgrade looks, Think very carefully before letting Audi upgrade your RS4 software,it will dampen the car down considerably,E.G The raucous exhaust note,the explosive acceleration from 5000RPM,the general rawness of the car will be gone.
Don't get me wrong your RS4 will still be brilliant but it won't be the same car you bought,mine certainly isn't, and I'm fuming and according to Audi nothing they can do about it.
Hopefully your dealer gives you a full explanation of the upgrade or at least unlike myself A CHOICE.:w:

SimonH
September 11th, 2007, 12:48
Hi Lee.

I've just read your upgrade story with great interest,as I recently took my RS4 into my local Audi dealer for a routine job,and was told that there was a software upgrade to be done on my car.
Only to find to my horror on my cars return that it had been re-mapped and now doesn't drive anything like before IE:not as loud,not as sharp(in sport mode),no sudden kick of power around 5500 RPM(which I liked) and is allot smoother to drive than before(I bought a raw sports saloon).Now that would have been OK if I had been unhappy with my RS before hand but I wasn't and now I'm having murder with Audi UK as I've asked them to reverse the Re-map only to be told that's not possible(Which as your story proves is total rubbish).
The difference with you is that you've had the choice of Re-map or no Re-map, whereas I didn't get that choice and I'm on collision course for mighty fall out with Audi as they do not want to play ball.
I don't think Audi had any right to alter my car's performance without my consent,if you think I'm sounding a little bitter about all this you'd be quite right.:vgrumpy:
Seems like Audi are doing what BMW are reportedly doing here, in respect of completing software updates, that reportedly are reducing power.Over on the M5 board, the chaps are reporting similar power losses on their M5s, after software updates.They say that they can substantiate their butt feelings, with dyno readings.Just what is going on here?.Regards, SIMON.:nono:

RussianM3_dude
September 11th, 2007, 13:05
How to tell if your Audi has been "upgraded"?

Mori
September 12th, 2007, 20:12
Anything to prove this theory apart from your butt-dyno on the power downgrade?

I know my ECU has been flashed with the newer version and quite frankly, I don't believe I noticed any of the symptoms you talk about Marty.

Iceman
September 12th, 2007, 20:42
It's "Jeroen" not Joroen.
Nice reed btw.

Hans.

cally
September 13th, 2007, 01:50
has anyone tried SKN computer remap yet?

t urbo
September 13th, 2007, 05:27
It's "Jeroen" not Joroen.
Nice reed btw.

Hans.

Tired.
I Stand corrected. Cheers

t urbo
September 14th, 2007, 22:31
Here's some Dyno plots showing the before and after remap in 3rd and 5th gears.

The upper set of lines are the Trq and the lower lines running from bottom left to top right are the Hp.

The light blue Trq line shows the original Trq in 3rd gear.
Notice the sudden jump at 5400 rpm, this is the throttle bodies opening from 50-60 % to 100%.

The Dark blue line is the Trq after the remap, you can see how much smoother it is.
Also you can see that the Trq between 2000-5600rpm is around 34 Nm more.

The green and red lines are the Trq in 5th gear. Here you can see the Trq is around 15-20 Nm higher at the higher rpm.

Again with the Hp curves they are higher too.