PDA

View Full Version : Brake Distance 100-0 New Rs6

abdulkerim88
September 6th, 2007, 11:19
The M5 Touring E60 does 100-0 in 38m.
The Benz E63 T also in 38m

source: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/tests/vergleichstest/hxcms_article_503024_13987.hbs?ext_site_number=3
What would you think that the New RS6 :addict: will do with does HUGE 420mm BRAKES?

Arslanoff
September 6th, 2007, 11:28
38? logicaly

Audi.de
September 6th, 2007, 11:54
i would say 31-32m...RS6 brakes are 20mm BIGGER than BUGATTI VEYRON so we should expect a deceleration time smaller than any other brand.

The RS6
September 6th, 2007, 12:49
I'd say about 35-36...

Those 420mm's should stop the car insanely...

Erik
September 6th, 2007, 12:54
It is VERY much up to the tires, not the brakes.

Even a simple brake system is sifficient to activate the ABS, and find the limit for the ABS.

The RS6 has relatively not so wide tires.

Leadfoot
September 6th, 2007, 13:31
Like Erik says tyres are very important, so is suspension and weight balance as well as brakes themselves. Normally Audi do best in the speeds up to 50mph(80km/h) beating both the BMW and Mercedes cars up to this point but after this speed things even out with possibly BMW taking a small lead.

I reckon the RS6 will beat the other but it won't be huge.

The RS6
September 6th, 2007, 13:35
It is VERY much up to the tires, not the brakes.

Even a simple brake system is sifficient to activate the ABS, and find the limit for the ABS.

The RS6 has relatively not so wide tires.

My thoughts : Why would Audi put so huge brakes if they thought the tires wouldn't do the job...?

It would be very stupid to put huge breaks and grip-less tires...

So that's why I think the brakes are there for a reason, and that it will stop fast, really fast :king:

Leadfoot
September 6th, 2007, 13:40
Brakes usually heat up a lot quicker than tyres so the big the brakes to longer they will last, depending on ample ventilation.

Erik
September 6th, 2007, 13:50
My thoughts : Why would Audi put so huge brakes if they thought the tires wouldn't do the job...?

Normal brakes are ok for one or two, maybe three etc. hard braking.
If you go for the race track it's a different story.

I remember the old RS6, it took more than an hour for the brakes to cool after ONE lap at NS.
In the RS6 you could do 1-2 hot laps with max attack at Nordschleife.
In a Porsche you could go all day.

Ceramic brakes - don't forget the image and economic reasons for Audi to offer this. Ceramic brakes option, I'm sure you could get a Kia for the same price if you know what I mean...

Actually, if I don't remember totally wrong, ceramic brakes can give you longer braking distances when cold.

crespo
September 6th, 2007, 14:51
Correct, ceramics when cold are less effective than regular brakes. They work best when warmed up and are really most effective on a track compared to everyday use. No real advantage over regular brakes for day-to-day driving (and they squeal when cold...). Personally, I think they're too expensive to consider as a real option if/when I'm in the market for one of these cars since I don't get many opportunities to track it.

But as mentioned, present-day brakes are strong enough to lock up most tires. The real bottleneck (the limiting factor) in braking distance has become the tire. The more surface area a tire covers, the harder it is for traction to be broken, therefore a wider tire has a longer traction threshold than a thinner tire (the brakes can grip harder before the tires lock up, effectively slowing the car down more quickly and in a shorter distance). Also, tread pattern and compound should be considered as well (compound not so much in a street tire since they're all the same).

The M5 and E63 are obviously near the limit of today's performance tires as far as this threshold is concerned. I wouldn't expect the RS6 (HUGE ceramic brakes and all) to beat them by as huge a margin as one would think. The real advantage with these brakes would be on a track, where they would (SHOULD) withstand brake fade much better than regular brakes (weight does not help things either, obviously).

skiwi
September 6th, 2007, 19:56
But as mentioned, present-day brakes are strong enough to lock up most tires. The real bottleneck (the limiting factor) in braking distance has become the tire. The more surface area a tire covers, the harder it is for traction to be broken, therefore a wider tire has a longer traction threshold than a thinner tire

this is a common misconception. the tyre contact patch size doesn't change with the width of the tyre - just it's shape. putting wider tyres on a car doesn't put more rubber in touch with the road, just makes the contact patch shorter (less traction and braking) and wider, (better cornering). therefore, as a general rule, *narrower* tyres improve traction and braking.

the only way to change the contact patch size (regardless of the wheel width) is to deflate it....

crespo
September 6th, 2007, 20:34
My apologies, you are correct.

skiwi
September 6th, 2007, 21:07
you are absolutely correct wrt the importance of the tyres...