PDA

View Full Version : I thinks Audi should get rid of the S cars.

AuditudeA642
September 6th, 2007, 00:17
What i have realized is that many of the people i know get confused with the S and RS lines. they think because an Audi is an S it should be compared to BMW's M and Mercedes AMG but that is the RS line which only a little amount of people know about.
The main competitors for S cars aren't M cars or AMG cars just normal Mercedes' or BMW's.

Example

Audi S4 Sedan/Avant - BMW 335i Sedan/Wagon - Mercedes C350 Sport Sedan
Audi S5 Coupe - BMW 335i Coupe - Mercedes CLK550 Coupe
Audi S6 Sedan - BMW 550i Sedan - Mercedes E550 Sedan
Audi S8 Sedan - BMW 760i Sedan - Mercedes S600 Sedan

Audi RS4 Sedan -BMW M3 Sedan - Mercedes C63 Sedan
Audi ?RS5 Coupe? - BMW M3 Coupe - Mercedes CLK63 Black Series Coupe
Audi RS6 - BMW M5 - Mercedes E63 AMG

The Audi S4/S5/S6/S8 should be called the

Audi A4 4.2 Quattro Sport and Non Sport
Audi A5 4.2 Quattro Sport and Non Sport
Audi A6 5.2 Quattro Sport and Non Sport
Audi A8 5.2 Quattro Sport and Non Sport

I know this is crazy and far fetched but its just a thought on a boring New York day. :) :rs6kiss:

kip
September 8th, 2007, 19:00
What i have realized is that many of the people i know get confused with the S and RS lines. they think because an Audi is an S it should be compared to BMW's M and Mercedes AMG but that is the RS line which only a little amount of people know about.
The main competitors for S cars aren't M cars or AMG cars just normal Mercedes' or BMW's.

Example

Audi S4 Sedan/Avant - BMW 335i Sedan/Wagon - Mercedes C350 Sport Sedan
Audi S5 Coupe - BMW 335i Coupe - Mercedes CLK550 Coupe
Audi S6 Sedan - BMW 550i Sedan - Mercedes E550 Sedan
Audi S8 Sedan - BMW 760i Sedan - Mercedes S600 Sedan

Audi RS4 Sedan -BMW M3 Sedan - Mercedes C63 Sedan
Audi ?RS5 Coupe? - BMW M3 Coupe - Mercedes CLK63 Black Series Coupe
Audi RS6 - BMW M5 - Mercedes E63 AMG

The Audi S4/S5/S6/S8 should be called the

Audi A4 4.2 Quattro Sport and Non Sport
Audi A5 4.2 Quattro Sport and Non Sport
Audi A6 5.2 Quattro Sport and Non Sport
Audi A8 5.2 Quattro Sport and Non Sport

I know this is crazy and far fetched but its just a thought on a boring New York day. :) :rs6kiss:

I agree. In Finland S badge also means you pay more for service and spare parts than normal A cars. I also feel S badged cars should be faster than "basic" BMWs and Mercs.

AuditudeA642
September 8th, 2007, 19:41
The prices between Audi S cars and normal Bimmers and Benz's are so close that i dont understand why S cars exist.

///Marco.it
September 8th, 2007, 21:44
I completely agree S Audi are just like M badged BMW or S line Audi with strong engine.

jmik
September 11th, 2007, 21:23
I disagree.

Firstly, Both mercedes and bmw are named as class (BMW= 3,5 or 7 Mercedes= C,E,S) and motor (2l = 20; 5l = 50). To tell anyone about your car specifications you need to say something like Audi A6 5.2 litres sport version. It is long, it is much easier to say BMW335 or Mercedes S500 than Audi A8 4.2 Sport. Easier to say = easier to brand.

Secondy, S-badge is not only extra-cost, it is also extra-options. Audi S8 is not equal to BMW760, there is Audi A8 W12. S means that it is the car for driver pleasure.:S8:

And it is also a very good way to be not like others.

Bingocaller
September 11th, 2007, 21:45
I agree - dont see any point in them

Leadfoot
September 11th, 2007, 21:53
Audi can't get rid of the S cars and to tell you the truth, they need to either up their performance a bit closer to the M equivalent or produce the RS models quicker and in a larger quantity.

Personally I would hate to see the end of the S because this is what makes the Audi brand different to the other. It's a little more than a normal A but not as extreme as the RS, just perfect for those who want to be that little bit more discreet.

artur777
September 11th, 2007, 22:08
Leadfoot,

your opinion as usual is quite reasonable and suitable!
Agree!

Der Major
September 12th, 2007, 08:19
I think we should get something straight here. S-Line as i have read in in the text has absolutely nothing to do with S or RS models.

RS Line as Auditude called it doesn´t even exist. S-Line is just an option for "standart" A models. You can choose between S-Line Ext. / Int / Suspension. The engine remains the same as it is. No matter if its a diesel or whatever.

I think the S Models are a good thing for people who want a bit more understatement as an RS Model has and it is a bit cheaper though.

tazsura
September 12th, 2007, 09:08
Yep, along the lines of Leadies and artur777's thoughts.

S needs to be once again repositioned against M and AMG. RS should only be left for extra special, more focused machines. This is why I don't want to see an RS model in every model line of Audi. Only reserve it for a few.

Taz :dance:

AuditudeA642
September 13th, 2007, 00:12
i dont mean S line and RS6 line as the cheesy A6 that came out or those C6 4.2 with S line badges. I meant the S4,S6 or RS4 RS6. Sorry for being unclear i meant model line up not S line.

Der Major
September 13th, 2007, 09:01
i dont mean S line and RS6 line as the cheesy A6 that came out or those C6 4.2 with S line badges. I meant the S4,S6 or RS4 RS6. Sorry for being unclear i meant model line up not S line.

No problem. ;) Just wanted to say something. :lovl: I knew what you meant.

JWC
September 13th, 2007, 14:19
Audi needs to keep the S in their line ups, and keep the RS for those who want even more. I just purchased a 2008 S6 for my wife. We test drove the A6; nice car but just not enough. Test drove the S4 great car just a little to small thats where the S6 comes in. It's perfect for her and keeps me awake when I am driving it. The RS would be too much for her. Look guys think of them this way: S = Sport and RS = Really Sport. Thats what I did when I started looking at Audi's until this one I had very little knowledge on any Audi products. Now it all makes sence. Well the S Line thing is a little weird. I think they should have called it something different like LS that would be LS = Little Sport ( as in trim only). Just a thought.......

Arslanoff
September 13th, 2007, 14:45
RS = Rocket Sport (Cruisemissile) :lovl::lovl::lovl: :rs6kiss:

HKS786
September 13th, 2007, 14:59
RS = Rocket Sport (Cruisemissile) :lovl::lovl::lovl: :rs6kiss:

:hihi: :addict:

JWC
September 13th, 2007, 15:03
OK I am game Rocket Sport it is. RS = Rocket Sport

The RS6
September 13th, 2007, 15:18
RS=
When you press the gas pedal you hear a strong RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR and then when you release it you can hear an SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS from the turbos :D

AndyBG
September 13th, 2007, 15:49
S cars are one of those things that separate Audi from the others, also I think that ''S'' cars are very nice and that lot's of people underestimate their true... ''every day'' value.

Ask any present or past owner of the S car and 99% of them will tell you that they love their cars...

I think that RXBG is present, and Leadfoot past owner, let them say what they think...

AuditudeA642
September 13th, 2007, 16:02
Audi needs to keep the S in their line ups, and keep the RS for those who want even more. I just purchased a 2008 S6 for my wife. We test drove the A6; nice car but just not enough. Test drove the S4 great car just a little to small thats where the S6 comes in. It's perfect for her and keeps me awake when I am driving it. The RS would be too much for her. Look guys think of them this way: S = Sport and RS = Really Sport. Thats what I did when I started looking at Audi's until this one I had very little knowledge on any Audi products. Now it all makes sence. Well the S Line thing is a little weird. I think they should have called it something different like LS that would be LS = Little Sport ( as in trim only). Just a thought.......

I know the S6 is a great car and i was very close to getting one the only thing i meant was that it is a little confusing to have an S model and an RS model.

PS:

We all now RS=Rocket Ship. :).

Leadfoot
September 13th, 2007, 16:53
I think from a marketing point of view the separation of the S model to the rest of the normal range not only gives Audi two bites of the cherry at having a performance version, look at BMW and Mercedes both have only one performance version and the price difference is huge between them and their lesser brothers, with the S model Audi are sort of bridging the gap between the A model and the RS model. It also allows them to sell in at a slightly higher price than they would if it was just a A5 4.2S-Line.

Or am I wrong in this opinion.

JWC
September 13th, 2007, 19:32
Leadie ou are very correct....just as in the three bears fairy tail... three choices are always better than two! I know in our case with the RS6 not being out and to much car for the wife anyway the S6 fit just right. Auditude you are correct also it is a little confusing but in the end it's all good.