PDA

View Full Version : Fifth Gear S5 vs 335i review

Leadfoot
September 4th, 2007, 14:20
I class this one of the S5's best results to date, to basically match the 335i on the track suggests that away from the track and on the road the Audi will walk away because on it's better traction and confidence inspiring quattro system.

I remember that on this very site the 335i has had two victories around the track compared to the Z4M and the RS4, but most telling is that in equal conditions the S5's extra grunt would equal an easy 5+seconds over the 335i around the ring.

Audi.de
September 4th, 2007, 20:30
S5 is a monster we all know but the newe RS5 (expected to have power between 480-520HP) will be a devastating car even for the future M3 CSL will be slightly faster i think:)great job audi...

skratch
September 7th, 2007, 16:08
The 335 is making alot more power than 300bhp,its alot closer to the S5s numbers they are putting down 300ftlbs to the ground and 290whp The car would of been a little faster if she wasnt in 4th gear in that last pull.The car should of been in 3rd.

The lack of an LSD is what really kills the 335,Afair test would be the 335xi vs the s5 since they both have awd.

I laughed when she talked about grunt,the 335 has more grunt its making over 350 ft lbs hence the reason why she left it in 4th,the car has massive amount of torque.

Leadfoot
September 7th, 2007, 16:18
skratch,

Trust me when I say Vicki is a hell of a good driver and possibly a lot better than most on this forum, to slate her driving skill is silly.

On the track the two cars were evenly matched which I was pleasantly surprised at because previously the 335i has beaten both the RS4 and Z4M Coupe on track tests which proves the new MLP chassis is doing something right.

Leadfoot
September 7th, 2007, 17:01
True, she can drive - but driving lines were not consistant. All it shows is that on a dry track, for speed, they are even stevens.

Add some rain, ice etc and i think it would be a different story.

elstimpo,

No need, just take the two cars away from the safety of the track and it's a different story, the S5 would win easily, add some rain or snow and it would be a white wash of epic purportions.:hihi:

skratch
September 7th, 2007, 17:05
With 235/40 18 tires 3rd gear will go to 117mph at 7,500 rpms and will do 154 mph in 4th.She wasnt pushing the cars to there max,she wasnt even wearing a helmet.The car could clearly been in 3rd.I would of been in 3rd since im used to an Mpower band.

Edit with 255 tires (option here in the states)it would go to 120 at 7550 and the cars revs to 7600 before the rev limit kicks in.

Edit I just watched it again lol I would of been in second coming out of the last turn slaming 3rd for the last pull,She clearly kept it in 4th becuase the car has enough grunt.it funny listening to her say the car has a power def.Does she not know that the 335 is under rated.The car if anything is making more power than the s5.Some one here just put down 300whp in a bone stock 335,thats more than what bone stock e46s put down lol.

Leadfoot
September 7th, 2007, 17:26
With 235/40 18 tires 3rd gear will go to 117mph at 7,500 rpms and will do 154 mph in 4th.She wasnt pushing the cars to there max,she wasnt even wearing a helmet.The car could clearly been in 3rd.I would of been in 3rd since im used to an Mpower band.

Edit with 255 tires (option here in the states)it would go to 120 at 7550 and the cars revs to 7600 before the rev limit kicks in.

Edit I just watched it again lol I would of been in second coming out of the last turn slaming 3rd for the last pull,She clearly kept it in 4th becuase the car has enough grunt.it funny listening to her say the car has a power def.Does she not know that the 335 is under rated.The car if anything is making more power than the s5.Some one here just put down 300whp in a bone stock 335,thats more than what bone stock e46s put down lol.

skratch,

You are back to this old argument of dyno figures and I think everyone here knows my opinion on them. ;)

But if this is indeed fact and the 335i is in your opinion making more at the wheels than a S5 then why is the S5 posting the better times in also every road test I have seen. The Audi weighs more it's got this inferior drive-train which loses power to the wheels, everything is stacked against it, but the facts are it's quicker.

Just an opinion on track skills, neatness is what posts the quickest lap time and I agree totally with Vicki's use of gears based on the track and conditions. I have had the privilege to sit beside an F1 driver and he never held the gear to the red line and always choice a gear which allowed not only the car to complete the corner in it but also a gear which wouldn't unsettle the car. Like I said it's all about neatness.

skratch
September 7th, 2007, 17:38
I have witnessed a bone stock 335 here trap a 107mph trap speed in the 1/4 mile,if thats not enough prof thats its making more power(forget about the dynos)than BMW has made one heck of a drive train.

I beg to differ from you leadie,see I track my M3 and I can tell you from real experience,keeping a gear where the car makes the most power to the ground and using its power band is always the best way to get better times.You can clealry see the car bog in the video after it straightens up after the turn.It looks like its going 40 mph.

lets not drag this out,I can't believe you think 4th gear was the best gear choice there.Using you thoery an M3 would set the worst track times ever,The car only has a peak hp from 6-8k in the rev band anywhere under that and your driving an S2000.I guess F1 cars don't rev up to 17,000 rpms for any reason too

MR USER
September 7th, 2007, 17:43
neatness is what posts the quickest lap time

THis is sooooo true! No matter how powerful and fast the car is.... the optional behind the wheel makes such a difference!

Leadfoot... why do you bother answer pointless arguments? Are you just after the number of posts to set a new record?

skratch
September 7th, 2007, 17:48
The 335 should of never seen 4th gear on a track that small,Its clearly shows how none of you have ever tracked a car.I'm done for the sake of arguing over this.I have nothing else to say.

MR USER
September 7th, 2007, 18:10
The 335 should of never seen 4th gear on a track that small,Its clearly shows how none of you have ever tracked a car.I'm done for the sake of arguing over this.I have nothing else to say.

You are right about that... only once my wheels went on the Nordschleife... but that is not a track...

On the other hand I regularly race a prototype since 5 years, occasionaly race a ETCS, and when the money allows me even a Fia GT...

Therefore noI do not track my car! But I can confirm what leadfoot says... neatness is all! If a corner can be taken in 2 gears is all down to choosing the one that upset the least the balance of the car...

But hey what would I konw... I do not track my car!!!

Leadfoot
September 7th, 2007, 20:56
I think her reasoning for leaving the 335i in 4th gear on the last corner was the speed she was traveling at, I reckon she was doing about 100mph at that point which is slap bang in the torque and to have to change in the middle on this long sweeping corner would have quite possibly unsettled the car.

I bet you that I could take the S5 around this very track keeping it in 4th gear and still post a time within a second of one using the right gear for each. The torque that it and the 335i produce are ample for keeping them in a higher gear and concentrating on being neat, I reckon everyone who wishes to do trackdays should be a bit of karting first, nothing teaches you the importance of neatness more.

RussianM3_dude
September 8th, 2007, 11:32
Considering that the 335 is basically a standard BM and MUCH cheaper then the S5, total kick ass!!!!

artur777
September 8th, 2007, 13:55
Its my birthday today and the only thing i want is this moron banned. I cannot stand reading his ignorant and plainly stupid ramblings about how Audi are bad and BMW are wonderful. Ban him.

Take the 335i in its best possible circumstance, that test and its only how much quicker than the S5 ?? The driving lines were not consistant either.

Take the S5 in all other weather conditions and it would be streets ahead. The looks alone are worth the money over the 335i which is a horrid looking thing, the Quattro system is more reason to justify the price tag, the build quality from Audi to BMW is far greater in Audi's favour and the S5 is simply a better car.

The S5 sits nicely between the 335i and the new M3, which makes the price tag look spot on.

:applause: :applause:

estimpo, it's very good you have a birthday today!
But why to ban this guy?
It's better to persuade him that Audi are also very good vars along with BMW.
Ban is too simple and not smart...

Phage
September 8th, 2007, 15:02
I beg to differ from you leadie,see I track my M3 and I can tell you from real experience,keeping a gear where the car makes the most power to the ground and using its power band is always the best way to get better times.You can clealry see the car bog in the video after it straightens up after the turn.It looks like its going 40 mph.

lets not drag this out,I can't believe you think 4th gear was the best gear choice there.Using you thoery an M3 would set the worst track times ever,The car only has a peak hp from 6-8k in the rev band anywhere under that and your driving an S2000.I guess F1 cars don't rev up to 17,000 rpms for any reason too

Don't forget the 335 has a turbocharged engine so in comparison to the M3, S2000 and F1 cars it relatively has way more torque in low rev's.

RussianM3_dude
September 8th, 2007, 15:28
Its my birthday today and the only thing i want is this moron banned. I cannot stand reading his ignorant and plainly stupid ramblings about how Audi are bad and BMW are wonderful. Ban him.

Take the 335i in its best possible circumstance, that test and its only how much quicker than the S5 ?? The driving lines were not consistant either.

Take the S5 in all other weather conditions and it would be streets ahead. The looks alone are worth the money over the 335i which is a horrid looking thing, the Quattro system is more reason to justify the price tag, the build quality from Audi to BMW is far greater in Audi's favour and the S5 is simply a better car.

The S5 sits nicely between the 335i and the new M3, which makes the price tag look spot on.

:applause: :applause:

Happy Birthday tovarisch. You just addmited it. The S5 sits between the 335 and an M3. I absolutely agree. Hence the 335 being able to keep up with the S5 is a pretty good achievement.

Iceman
September 8th, 2007, 21:22
No surprise here, that's why Audi need to put in a V6 Bi-turbo FSI with 350-365 hp.
A V6 Bi-turbo will wipe the floor with a S5 V8 4.2.

Hans.

Leadfoot
September 9th, 2007, 01:26
Hans,

As always we are in total agreement.

And Artur777, either you are opinions of RussianM3_dude posts are different than everyone else's because you will never get this guy to change. He posts here solely because he lives for arguments and most have been banned from all other sites.

RussianM3_dude
September 9th, 2007, 10:44
I have not been banned from other sites, well never permenently (and that was from an Alfa Romeo site, when I dared say that modern Alfas have mediocre handling.) That is because I make many good points.

Leadfoot
September 9th, 2007, 10:59
Don't forget the 335 has a turbocharged engine so in comparison to the M3, S2000 and F1 cars it relatively has way more torque in low rev's.

If any car produces lots of torque lower in the rev range then you should use this to your advantage, even on the track. I no doubt the Audi R10 is picking a higher gear at every corner at the Le Mans. ;)