PDA

View Full Version : Audi RS6 Abnormalities

akewamish
September 4th, 2007, 00:40
I've had my vehicle for about two months and have noticed awkwardness when it comes to driving the vehicle and I was hoping to get clarification on if this is normal. I've never owned a German car and furthermore one with turbos (always had the American beasts z-28)

The first obvious thing is the downshifting of the transmission. My husband never noticed it because he's either flooring the gas or the breaks and never letting it slow down gradually. When I let it coast it does a hard, not quite whiplash, but very noticeable downshifting. A few friends have stated it maybe because the transmission is tuned to act like a manual but I've heard of other cheaper cars Dodge Stratus for instance getting their transmission replaced for that same reasons. I just don't want to be looked at as some mid twenties bimbo taking this car in to be looked at if this ends up being "normal".

I've seen quite a few posts on here regarding the DRC and a thumping clunking sound in the rear. When I bought the car going over the bumps caused minor squeaking, something I never doubted as something abnormal but recently this loud noise is coming from the rear end. I wouldn't describe it as a thumping or clunking but more like the sound of hurricane force winds going through a tunnel. We tried to hear it from the outside but its faint (possibly because of the exhaust) but from the inside its unbearable. Would this still be the DRC or something totally different?

If its the DRC how long can I expect to be w/o my car?

vBob
September 4th, 2007, 15:23
RS6's auto trans is programmed to blip the throttle during downshifting.

As for DRC, visually check whether there are leaks at four corners. You can also do the "press-the-bumper" test; I vaguely recall there should be 1/2 rebound for properly functioning system. If not, then it's advisable to fix it ASAP.

If the "whoosh" you observed is pretty constant as you've described standing outside of the car, then you should check whether any hoses are bad, disconnected, or deteriorating.