PDA

View Full Version : Noob with Questions...

930chas
September 3rd, 2007, 15:56
Hey there. Yet another RS6 noob with a bunch of questions. I did do some searching first..not a forum noob. haha. Anyhow, I am considering an RS6 as a daily driver. I am looking at a higher mileage model 70k+ and am worried about what maintenance issues might crop up. Any other higher mileage RS6s out there? Another concern is where is there a decent Audi repair shop in the Maryland area. I am on the Eastern Shore. Are most Audi techs familiar with the RS6? Can any maintenance be performed by a 1/2 way hack mechanic? lol. Lastly, what kind of gas mileage do most people see? Also, I would most likely invest in a warrantly policy for the car. My current dd is a Jeep SRT8 and I am getting 10-13mpg in that. Bleech!!! Thanks much for any help and insight. I guess I am also torn with the idea of selling the Jeep which has been pretty reliable to purchase a car that might be seriously less then reliable!

got boost
September 3rd, 2007, 22:53
Hello and welcome,

-RS6 would make a great daily driver
-With 70K+ miles check to see if the second timing belt service has been completed yet, a rather expensive undertaking.
-I dont know how far from "the bridge" you are, but I know Criswell audi in Annapolis has an RS6 certified tech (nice guy too)
-As for fuel mileage, I dont really pay attention, sorry:)
-For reliablitity, there is always a chance to have problems, I wouldnt say that the RS6 is more or less reliable than anything else.

Good luck with your decision!

:addict:

Dogsoldier
September 4th, 2007, 00:33
Daily driver for me, but I've only got 36k on mine. Gas mileage? City driving I get 10-12, but then, I like to hammer it. Highway mileage is around 20, depending.

As far as dependability, some folks have had DRC issues, but I think otherwise it's no better or no worse than other Audis. You have to keep up on your maintenance and it should be okay. That being said, I wouldn't get one without having an extended warranty of some sort.

It's the most fun car I've ever owned!

930chas
September 4th, 2007, 01:29
Thanks much for the responses. The dependability question is always so open-ended. I guess it all depends on how well the car has been taken care of too. Criswell is not too far from me, so that is good to know! I think I am going to get a PPI done and and if that comes back positive, give it a try. Thanks again.

ruxprncd
September 5th, 2007, 00:09
In addition to the items already mentioned, I'd add brake rotors and pads (rotors VERY pricey at ~$400 each, pads very pricey but can go aftermarket to save $) and front suspension components (such as control arms - you can also go aftermarket on those and save $).

FYI, the 70K service (including timing belt) is ~$2800.

JasonRS6
September 6th, 2007, 01:32
I get 24-25mpg on the highway with mine.