PDA

View Full Version : How important is it to get CPO'd?

Rguy
August 31st, 2007, 14:37
Hello all, my first post in this board. :)

So im about to ditch my M3 and 600rr and 'grow up' to a used RS6. The car has 37k on it, warm weather package, SE exhaust, navigation, carbon fiber trim, etc.

The car was involved in a wreck previously as stated by carfax where there was 'moderate' damage. The dealer stated there was a new door skin put on after the wreck but it is fine now.

Asking price for the car is 43, 877, with an in service date of 11/03. So there is a 60 warranty still left i assume.

How important is it for me to get this car CPO'd, and what kind of increase in price can I expect? Room for negotiation or should i take it no questions asked at this price?

Copper
August 31st, 2007, 15:21
Ok first, why in the heck would you pay $43K for a damaged RS6??? There are currently many examples for sale about the same price without the damage.

Second, my first RS6 was CPO'd my second one is not. I bought $2500 bumper to bumper extended warranty for 4 years/75K miles (I have 31K on the car now). Find a nice example and purchase an extended warranty. I used Fidelity for the warranty company. They did not exclude the RS6 and also cover the DRC systems on the RS4 and RS6.

RS6 #1 was CPO'd but I have to tell you, it should not have been. It had a lot of cosmetic damage that I repaired out of pocket.

If you take an RS6 to the dealer to get CPO'd that you did not purchase from them, expect to pay around $3000/$4000 with the warranty to take the car to 100K coverage. It depends on your dealer's mark-up.

Rguy
August 31st, 2007, 15:27
Ok first, why in the heck would you pat $43K for a damaged RS6??? There are currently many examples for sale about the same price without the damage.

Really? I dont see anything for less than 48k with ~37k on them. I figure a 5k price drop for a damaged door is acceptable. I hear a lot of talk about low 40s RS6s but I just cant find them in my area. (NoVa, DC)

LIRS6
August 31st, 2007, 15:29
I agree with Copper about a damaged car...a new doorskin after the WRECK doesn't sound comforting to me.

Copper
August 31st, 2007, 15:38
ebay is your friend. Currently some there now. Keep in mind that when you go to sell the car and it comes up on the CarFax as wrecked you just lost $10K in resale easy. With lower mileage and being a dealer they can steal the car for the P/O and then get away with that sort of mark-up. I would offer them $38K for that RS6. If not, walk. There are a few others on the AudiWorld Forum selling private party for the $42K range in perfect condition.

http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/36779.phtml

This one even has mods. You can get private party financing on the RS6 through your local bank all day long. I had 5-6 banks competing for my business and got a great rate.

Keep looking

:addict:

ben916
August 31st, 2007, 18:59
Ok, I was keeping this one for myself but it looks like it isn't gonna happen for me so I might as well forward a link to someone that is more likely to get it..

There is a RS6 with 32k on the odometer for $47k at Napleton Porsche of Westmont IL.

http://ed-napleton.porschedealer.com/preowned_cars/info.php?inventoryid=335477

Good luck!!!

SeattleS4
August 31st, 2007, 21:35
Are CPO's transferrable from the previous owner to a new buyer?

Copper
September 1st, 2007, 07:42
No. The CPO warranty is non-transferrable. The aftermarket extended warranties usually are (the one I purchased is).

Audi is now selling an extended warranty for the RS6 called "Something Care" (I forgot) that is a re-marketed Fidelity Warranty that is administered by them. Call them directly and save $2000 at least. Audi just marks up the same warranty and gives it a spiffy Audi marketing name.

The CPO warranty is not an extended warranty, but an original warranty extension with some exceptions.

got boost
September 1st, 2007, 15:18
I'm also not sure if Audi will CPO a car that was in an accident?

BLITZEN
September 2nd, 2007, 07:20
To answer your questions..
1) Not important to CPO if you instead go with an aftermarket warranty like others have mentioned.
2) The additional cost would depend entirely on how much stuff they would have to fix on the car in order for it to pass the 300+ point CPO inspection. For example, your brakes could have 45% of their life left. But for a car to pass CPO, they must be 50%+. So the dealer would replace those and charge you even though they are not needed right away.
3) You got room for negotiation at that price. Don't worry about finding one in your area. Search nationally. Shipping will run ~$1000.

Copper
September 2nd, 2007, 08:10
Audi's Extended Warranty is called...wait for it.... Audi Care. Duh, I forgot that name??

Also, beware of Riverside Audi. I bought a CPO's car that should not have been. I'm keeping all my repair receipts to show the work done out of pocket when I turn it in in case the try to nail my on anything.

ben916
September 5th, 2007, 16:55
Is that Riverside Audi of NJ? or CA?

mmaturo
September 5th, 2007, 21:47
My CPO is transferrable...depends on when it was sold orginally as CPO'd...bought mine two years ago and confirmed recently that it will transfer. You can have mine with 52K miles for $42K all day long. Couldn't sell it to save $ on payments. They are out there for 38-43 and shipping really is cheap considering your savings on the car from somewhere else. I wouldn't buy a previously wrecked RS6 at all, plenty around in perfect shape with low miles that will hit your price point. The one you are looking at should be in the low 30s for a not so great example.

Rguy
September 5th, 2007, 21:52
My CPO is transferrable...depends on when it was sold orginally as CPO'd...bought mine two years ago and confirmed recently that it will transfer. You can have mine with 52K miles for $42K all day long. Couldn't sell it to save $ on payments. They are out there for 38-43 and shipping really is cheap considering your savings on the car from somewhere else. I wouldn't buy a previously wrecked RS6 at all, plenty around in perfect shape with low miles that will hit your price point. The one you are looking at should be in the low 30s for a not so great example.

The last email from the salesmen was this...After I told him i was finding cars for 43k already CPO'd and that my OTD price i wanted was 45k, WITH cash in hand still from my trade.

"
After discussing this deal with Management, we came up with these numbers,
Sale price 43,000, Certification 3,700, Tax 2335, total 49,035, less trade equity of 5,500 is 43,535. Can we put a deal together at these numbers?"

I wont be responding back.

mmaturo
September 5th, 2007, 21:58
Good, there is a couple of people selling on Audiworld.com, scroll down the forum and you will see a few recent posts. There is at least 3 in the chicagoland area at dealers that you could do better than that on a lower mileage car. Good luck but keep searching, the car is worth every penny though...I paid too much and can't sell or trade in mine for what i owe on it but I have a grin everyday.

JasonRS6
September 6th, 2007, 01:31
Really? I dont see anything for less than 48k with ~37k on them. I figure a 5k price drop for a damaged door is acceptable. I hear a lot of talk about low 40s RS6s but I just cant find them in my area. (NoVa, DC)

Expand your search if you want a nice example. With only so many cars in the US, you need to look beyond the 100 mile range.

Rguy
September 6th, 2007, 15:23
He got back to me again after i told him i had found an E55 cheaper.

"If we do 44,850 including the certification would you purchase my car. Remember the RS6 is all wheel drive and the S55 is not. Let me know."

JasonRS6
September 6th, 2007, 15:26
Feel free to check out my fine example for sale:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/fsbo_search.jsp?affiliateadid=2788597&affiliate=national

Copper
September 6th, 2007, 21:45
Riverside in NJ.

BLITZEN
September 7th, 2007, 19:12
He got back to me again after i told him i had found an E55 cheaper.

"If we do 44,850 including the certification would you purchase my car. Remember the RS6 is all wheel drive and the S55 is not. Let me know."

He's right that the E55 is crippled in rain and snow.:rs6kiss:

But this dealer feels all wrong to me. You're negotiating on the car and he's offering the CPO without having even gone through it yet. What do you think he would do if you said o/k, and then during the 300+ point Certification they find a major problem? You think he'd fix it? Or, just sign off on the certification and stick AoA with a repair bill a month from now when you return it to his service department (or someone elses) with the problem? I'm afraid you'll regret it if you buy this car from this guy.
:vgrumpy:

JasonRS6
September 7th, 2007, 19:21
I dont like Riverside Audi sales. I would stay WAY away from them.

Just my personal experience.