PDA

View Full Version : Some news about the RS6, just so you don't get disappointed when it gets here

quattro
August 31st, 2007, 10:36
Long time no see.

Some news about the RS6, just so you don't get disappointed when it gets here: :brag:

1) It will be heavy. Think S6 +

2) It will drink a lot of petrol. Performance comes with a price.

3) It will be automatic, not DSG.

Other than that it will be a fantastic car! :love2:

The RS6
August 31st, 2007, 11:36
So what's new on Mars? :D

AndyBG
August 31st, 2007, 11:47
I don't like this...

I was really hoping, based on nothing, that they will tackle a weight, just la ittle, maybe...

Leadfoot
August 31st, 2007, 12:27
Long time no see.

Some news about the RS6, just so you don't get disappointed when it gets here: :brag:

Weight wisw think a little over 2000kgs. :p

Ecomony, who gives a F#%k. :eye:

And only automatic, it's going to be a pretty good automatic by the way, so why the long face. :vhmmm:

And yes it will be AMAZING. :applause:

RXBG
August 31st, 2007, 14:12
come on guys. pretty obvious. a V10, even as light as audi's, with two turbos and all the associated cooling hardware and upgraded suspension and chassis components, even with more aluminum panels than the S6's, will be heavy. and bad on gas. no surprise there.

tazsura
August 31st, 2007, 14:33
Long time no see.

After driving the Convertible and the RS4 (which is better on fuel than the Convertible btw!) i've decide to give up on fuel consumption totally! Lol. It's a never ending battle...that i'm willing to lose.

I'm eyeing up a potential new purchase...and am thinking that the combined figure of 25mpg is not that bad really!! Damn, maybe i should jump in the diesel A4 more often for a reality check!

One can't worry about such things as fuel economy when buying a car like the RS6. It's just not natural!

Taz :burnout:

Copper
August 31st, 2007, 15:15
Remember, this year the MPG ratings have been adjusted to more realistic driving and thus the city/highway ratings on ALL cars in 2008 will go down by as much as 12%. The test now includes a certain percentage of full throttle, stop and go, etc.

So if you are reading about poor MPG on the new RS6, this is part of the reason why (that and TTV10 of course).

Toto89
August 31st, 2007, 15:57
So automatic, not DSG. Does anyone know about a manual version?

Copper
August 31st, 2007, 17:25
No manual will be offered.

Leadfoot
August 31st, 2007, 18:14
So automatic, not DSG. Does anyone know about a manual version?

Toto89,

Silly question when you think that these cars are aimed at Professional people. :doh:

Hy Octane
August 31st, 2007, 18:37

4) It will be ugly

Other than that it will be a fantastic car!

artur777
August 31st, 2007, 19:00
Guys,

about weight.
At Audi site S6 is measured at 1910 kg of given weight.
When we talk abou this weight - does it include fuel, 68 kg driver and 7 kg luggage?
Or it's just a net weight, or a dry weight?
And 2000 kg of RS6 is what type of weight?

To my mind, car manufacturers are playing with all thses notion to hide heavy weight of their cars...

aarong
August 31st, 2007, 19:23
why no DSG? why?!
:vgrumpy:

artur777
August 31st, 2007, 19:29
why no DSG? why?!
:vgrumpy:

Current DSGs can't maintain such torque...
The one whic is used in Bugatti Veyron costs a lot of money.
And the second point - it's no way for Audi to spend a lot of money for developing DSG for a car which will be changed in 3 years for a new A6 with MLP platform.

skiwi
August 31st, 2007, 20:52
Guys,

about weight.
At Audi site S6 is measured at 1910 kg of given weight.
When we talk abou this weight - does it include fuel, 68 kg driver and 7 kg luggage?

hey which driver on this site is 68kgs? are you saying the new rs6 is for girls?:vhmmm:

diesel king
August 31st, 2007, 21:36
I hate to say this but........... I can live with a car the same weight as the S6.

Every time talk of lightweight body panels, new "super quattro" and ceramic brakes pop up I get nervous that the BEAST is going to jump past what I am willing to pay.

Will US pricing be announced Sept 7th?

My wife will be willing to pay an extra $5,000 for a third interior color. Black and gray just don't do anything for her.

Leadfoot
August 31st, 2007, 21:40
In the States the price of the RS6 is the least of your worries, trust me. :rolleyes:

artur777
August 31st, 2007, 21:41
Leadfoot, could you comment please on weight statement.

Leadfoot
August 31st, 2007, 21:44
I've already said what I reckon the RS6 will end up, around the 2000kgs, give or take and this will be with fluids etc. ;)

artur777
August 31st, 2007, 21:55
Leadfoot, but with a driver and luggage it will be 2100 kg!!!
It's really very heavy one comparing to RS4 / S4 weight change...

Leadfoot
August 31st, 2007, 21:56
Regarding the weight and the hang-ups that some here seem to have about it, don't worry the RS6 will handle amazingly well. It might not change direction like a Lotus but it will grip as well as the RS4 and ride even better. ;)

Look how well the big Bentley GT handles and remember it weighs a heck of a lot more than the RS6 will, plus it's using air suspension which though good for the job it was designed for isn't even close to the suspension set-up that been designed for the RS6, specially designed to cope with extreme cornering speeds and top speeds in excess of 155mph and a hell of a lot more. ;)

Leadfoot
August 31st, 2007, 21:58
Leadfoot, but with a driver and luggage it will be 2100 kg!!!
It's really very heavy one comparing to RS4 / S4 weight change...

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly, 2000kgs give or take including fluids, luggage and driver. :thumb:

Z07
August 31st, 2007, 21:59
I remember when 1500+kg was regarded as heavy. I keep hearing about lightweight this, lightweight that and cars still get heavier. At the current rate, a 911 Turbo will weigh 2 tons by 2030.

artur777
August 31st, 2007, 22:01
Bentley GT is a good performer of course but it's Ring time is about 8:40.
Considering about weight - Audi's engineers will be the world best ones if they manage to make this 2,1 tonn car move as well as RS4 and even better.

Really I don't quite understand how it could be.
I have driven 2007 Audi S8 and it's a good car, but even not close to RS4 abilities. It seemed to me a bigh ship. And to my mind, RS6 will weight the same if not more.

Leadfoot
August 31st, 2007, 22:06
It's the customers who are driving the weight up, we are getting bigger and the car's interior space has to as well, plus safety is now the most important thing and rightly so, we want the speed but don't want to give up our luxuries and sad to say all of these add weight.

Just look at the size difference between a Mk1 and a MkV GTi Golf and you will know what I mean.

artur777
August 31st, 2007, 22:12
Right you are, Leadfoot.

If RS6 is about 2000 kg, then it's more or less ok, as it was expected.
To my mind, 2 tonn - is a certain pschycological barrier regarding the cars.

Leadfoot
August 31st, 2007, 22:16
Really I don't quite understand how it could be.
I have driven 2007 Audi S8 and it's a good car, but even not close to RS4 abilities. It seemed to me a bigh ship. And to my mind, RS6 will weight the same if not more.

The Bentley was only to show that a big heavy car can still handle well but you have to remember that the it was based on the VW Phaeton which clearly isn't a RS6, in fact they placed extra weigh after the rear axle to try and balance the weight out.

With regards to the S8 again you have an air suspension car which it great for ride but isn't the best at reactions but still it's the best handling car in it's class and if you have ever drove the S6 you will know that it easily out handles the S8 even with it's standard suspension set-up.

Audi will be quoting the RS6's weight something around the 1920Kgs mark but with everything included something just over the 2000kgs.

The key to it's success will be the suspension it will be using. ;)

artur777
August 31st, 2007, 22:22
Leadfoot, may be it's time to tell us the truth about suspension?

DRC advanced or MagneticRide Advanced?

Leadfoot
August 31st, 2007, 22:30
Leadfoot, may be it's time to tell us the truth about suspension?

DRC advanced or MagneticRide Advanced?

OK, it's DRC III which is fully adjustable with height and stiffness plus even quicker reaction times than the RS4's version and will wipe the floor with the competition.

Remember that on twisty tracks the S6 can already change directions better than an M5, factor in DRC III and you have a car that not only won't drive under hard braking but will corner as flat as either the RS4 or M3 but ride amazingly because the suspension doesn't have to be as hard to start with.

I can't wait for the first few group tests. :hihi:

artur777
August 31st, 2007, 22:45
Oh!!!!
Leadfoot, thanks!
DRC III!
Amazing one!

Why not MagniRide?

artur777
August 31st, 2007, 22:46
DRC III,

what are the main improvements over DRC II in RS4?

KK265
August 31st, 2007, 23:30
Long time no see.

Today info:RS6 585 PS and R8 V10 510 PS.I can not tell my source but is very reliable.

artur777
August 31st, 2007, 23:31
Today info:RS6 585 PS and R8 V10 510 PS.I can not tell my source but is very reliable.

Great info!
Does your source know acc.times?

KK265
August 31st, 2007, 23:40
Great info!
Does your source know acc.times?
No but I show official paper.Only this.My source does not care about these things but he asked only for me.He never told me something wrong.I trust him absolutely.

artur777
August 31st, 2007, 23:44
No but I show official paper.Only this.My source does not care about these things but he asked only for me.He never told me something wrong.I trust him absolutely.

Ok, thanks.
So will we finally see new RS6 in two weeks at IAA?

KK265
August 31st, 2007, 23:56
Ok, thanks.
So will we finally see new RS6 in two weeks at IAA?
Yes.Also on 6th of August during dinner at Barcelona with Audi instructors they told me about 590 PS.I asked twice telling that rumors are about 580 PS and they answered twice :No is more

KK265
September 1st, 2007, 00:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP5WSQj2HMc

skiwi
September 1st, 2007, 02:24
oh muma!

diesel king
September 1st, 2007, 03:27
When you said I weight and $$$$ should be the least of my worries, did you mean DRC III will be big bucks? What should I fear?

I am waaaay to tired to effectively read between the lines.

Any guess what the US msrp will be? (luxury package about 8K?)

Will pricing be released Sept 7?

Audiphile
September 1st, 2007, 05:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP5WSQj2HMc

Sweet!:rs6kiss: :love2:

Audiphile
September 1st, 2007, 05:35
Yes.Also on 6th of August during dinner at Barcelona with Audi instructors they told me about 590 PS.I asked twice telling that rumors are about 580 PS and they answered twice :No is more

So, is the possibility of 610 bhp as speculated recently high probability or not? If your source is correct as you state they are spot on - then we are at 590 bhp so far. I mean Frankfurt is really very close and no word or "leak" regarding the RS6 at all! Not even exterior pictures other than pokka dots. Audi must be in "lock down" right now. Even the A4 information was hard to come by.

This waiting is a killer! :w: Just a little peak Audi, not much? Audi replies: :nono:

KK265
September 1st, 2007, 06:52
So, is the possibility of 610 bhp as speculated recently high probability or not? If your source is correct as you state they are spot on - then we are at 590 bhp so far.
No.585 PS.I saw official stuff.I do not want to say more to protect my friend.

Leadfoot
September 1st, 2007, 10:02
When you said I weight and $$$$ should be the least of my worries, did you mean DRC III will be big bucks? What should I fear?

I am waaaay to tired to effectively read between the lines.

Any guess what the US msrp will be? (luxury package about 8K?)

Will pricing be released Sept 7?

The reason for DRC III over choosing MagneticRide was purely cost of development, to get MagneticRide to perform as well as the DRC has done would have cost a lot more which would have affected the overall retail.

The worries lay more with AoA. ;)

Sorry I can't say any more than that.

Leadfoot
September 1st, 2007, 10:04
No.585 PS.I saw official stuff.I do not want to say more to protect my friend.

If so then they have made their decision regarding Co2 levels and push ahead with the larger quoted output. ;)

Leadfoot
September 1st, 2007, 10:37
Check this great Video of numerous spyshots of lots of cars.

I love the sound of the Lexus.

Ring_spyshots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31JGgTWbiH8&mode=related&search)

artur777
September 1st, 2007, 11:11
KK265,

do you have any guesses about RS6 Ring time?

Leadfoot
September 1st, 2007, 11:15
KK265,

do you have any guesses about RS6 Ring time?

I can't comment on what KK265 knows but the info that was pass to me leads me to expect a time of just about the 8 mins, say 8:02~4. :thumb:

artur777
September 1st, 2007, 11:17
Leadfoot,

could tell us the main differences between the DRC iii and DRC ii?

Leadfoot
September 1st, 2007, 13:48
Leadfoot,

could tell us the main differences between the DRC iii and DRC ii?

Sorry mate, I've said too much already. :blush:

You will just have to wait for Frankfurt, in any case why spoil the surprise with too much info. ;)

artur777
September 1st, 2007, 19:48
KK265,

do you know if it is RS6 Avant or Saloon to be presented at IAA?

Leadfoot
September 1st, 2007, 19:59
It meant to be only the Avant because it's the one with the least changes when the face-lift model arrives. But with this thing you never can tell.

artur777
September 1st, 2007, 20:32
Very bad...

Avant if a family car, not a racy one...

gjg
September 1st, 2007, 21:20

I just hope it will have bigger fuel tank .. :doh: .... beast is already thirsty to the point that you need to stop for fuel in less than 2 hours on a good day .... :cheers:

Leadfoot
September 1st, 2007, 22:01
I just hope it will have bigger fuel tank .. :doh: .... beast is already thirsty to the point that you need to stop for fuel in less than 2 hours on a good day .... :cheers:

I think the small tank is a good thing. Overtake the competition and then pull in to refill while they drive past, then overtake them all over again.

Perfect. :thumb:

tvrfan
September 1st, 2007, 23:07
It meant to be only the Avant because it's the one with the least changes when the face-lift model arrives. But with this thing you never can tell.

you mean the avant will be the facelift too? i dont think so, because, the facelift would have the LED headlights on limo and avant and the RS6 avant testmule (newest pics) dont have them. :confused: is the new RS6 getting the facelift or not? or will the RS6 on the old body?:eye:

goran
September 2nd, 2007, 01:44
Are you saying no paddle shifts at all?? Just a pure automatic??

AndyBG
September 2nd, 2007, 04:13
There will be some paddles behind the steering wheel, but question is are they going to be needed at all...

Leadfoot
September 2nd, 2007, 09:16
tvrfan,

The Avant RS6 will receive the face-lift treatment which includes indicater in the wing mirrors.

Audi.de
September 2nd, 2007, 10:25
i heard a different story about the new RS5, 50kg less then S6, Tiptronic-S with flappy paddles on the steering wheel, 60ms to change between gears, 40/60 quattro, better distribution on weight, a little bit difference between S6 and RS6 to the distribution (better on RS6), a lot of carbon fiber and facelift of the model, no avant first, saloon first!

Ruergard
September 2nd, 2007, 12:06
I think the small tank is a good thing. Overtake the competition and then pull in to refill while they drive past, then overtake them all over again.

Perfect. :thumb:

HAHAHA! :harass:

Then you'll just think. "Not him again, this is just to easy." ;)

i heard a different story about the new RS5, 50kg less then S6, Tiptronic-S with flappy paddles on the steering wheel, 60ms to change between gears, 40/60 quattro, better distribution on weight, a little bit difference between S6 and RS6 to the distribution (better on RS6), a lot of carbon fiber and facelift of the model, no avant first, saloon first!

I'd love that! Would be awesome, but I can't believe it... sorry. Why can't Frankfurt just come faster?! :addict:

tvrfan
September 2nd, 2007, 12:26
tvrfan,

The Avant RS6 will receive the face-lift treatment which includes indicater in the wing mirrors.

but when the RS6 avant would have the facelift, is it going to have the LED strips on the headlights? i dont see them on the newest testmule!

and i dont think the saloon would be showed at first, because the limo would be facelift too, and the facelift is comming 08!!! and the RS6 limo testmule havent the facelift too

will the final RS6 limo and avant be based on the facelift A6 or just on the old body??? :confused:

Leadfoot
September 2nd, 2007, 13:27
tvrfan,

I have told you the way it will be but clearly you need to see it for youself. I think only at the unvealing will you finally believe what I and ours have been telling you.

Audi.de
September 2nd, 2007, 15:34
we should wait and see how will gonna be, just a few days off until will see the beast released!

artur777
September 2nd, 2007, 16:16
So if we see how the situation developed - it is clear that changes to engine, model, power figures, date of arrival were permanent.
So who knows - may be until the IAA something will change again.
As far as I understand Audi officials are still thinking and ready for all the scenarios. And they will choose this or that at the last moment.
We have already discussed it with Leadfoot in another thread "New RS6 Avant Pics".

Leadfoot
September 2nd, 2007, 16:21
To tell you the truth, so much have changed in the last month that I don't know whether I am coming or going with regards to the RS6.

I like the rest of you will be please to see. I say what will be, will be.

artur777
September 2nd, 2007, 16:29
To tell you the truth, so much have changed in the last month that I don't know whether I am coming or going with regards to the RS6.

I like the rest of you will be please to see. I say what will be, will be.

Agreed!
So we are waiting for Audi press-conference at 11/09.
It's 9 days left:jlol:

Toto89
September 2nd, 2007, 17:57
11th September? Isn't this date a bad omen?:eye:

Leadfoot
September 2nd, 2007, 17:59
If what I have been told comes true then for the US market it could be. ;)

Audi.de
September 2nd, 2007, 18:35
6 days and a half left...just do something to not feel the time and pass through you and you will get to 11 very easly...so we are expecting soon to arrive the new beast...i would love to see the saloon and hope that the saloon will be first as i heard...avant here are like bugatti's...extremly rare...even an A6 Avant very rarely here...only A6 Allroad quattro.

iconcls
September 2nd, 2007, 18:43
If what I have been told comes true then for the US market it could be. ;)

Elaborate, please.

artur777
September 2nd, 2007, 20:47
Leadfoot means that at the IAA it will be announced that RS6 will come to the USA with a serious delay.

gregoryindiana
September 2nd, 2007, 22:17
Leadfoot means that at the IAA it will be announced that RS6 will come to the USA with a serious delay.

Like until the Dollar rebounds against the Euro. It's the ultimate decontenting.

skiwi
September 3rd, 2007, 07:37
de-contenting maybe, but you still get the cheapest german cars in the world!

AudiTumbo
September 3rd, 2007, 12:23
Leadfoot, a couple of questions to you:

* Will the RS6 be presented in both sedan and avant versions?
* Will it have over 560hp?
* Will the RS6 come with the facelift of A6?
* Will it be presented 100% in Frankfurt?

artur777
September 3rd, 2007, 13:05

I doubt that exact answers for those questions knows anybody except Quattro GMbH officials and Audi top-managers.

We all here are only guessing...
But hopefully all your questions have answer "yes".

Erik
September 3rd, 2007, 13:37
Does anyone know when we can expect a press release from Audi?

IAA starts next week on the 11:th (Press days 11-12:th), then trade days until public get access for the weekend.

NOT a lot of days to play with.

artur777
September 3rd, 2007, 14:00
Does anyone know when we can expect a press release from Audi?

IAA starts next week on the 11:th (Press days 11-12:th), then trade days until public get access for the weekend.

NOT a lot of days to play with.

Audi press-conference will be held on 11/09 at 12-00.
The announcement is at Frankfurt IAA web-site.

Leadfoot
September 3rd, 2007, 14:38

I can answer three out of four questions.

1/ I have been told only the Avant will be presented at Frankfurt.
2/ I have no definite answer to the 560hp question, sorry.
3/ The RS6 in both forms will get the face-lift.
4/ 100% it will be there.

Sacha
September 3rd, 2007, 15:00
It seems the announcement will be played LIVE on Audi.TV

tvrfan
September 3rd, 2007, 21:55
the RS6 is testing on an old body right? and it will not be the final design right? my question and hope is will the final RS6 have wider fenders as seen from the actually spyshots??? like the RS4 maybe wider? i hope so, because on the actually spyshots its too much normal audi, nothing really RS like. i want WIDE FENDERS ON THE FINAL RS6!!! what do you think? :wo:

skiwi
September 4th, 2007, 06:36
i expect boxed, square fenders like my old ur-quattro - i could be wrong though....

aarong
September 4th, 2007, 17:52

we talking months or years here? I have this plan all laid out to trade up my beast for a CPO'ed '09 RS6 in two years. :rs6kiss:

absent
September 4th, 2007, 22:04
we talking months or years here? I have this plan all laid out to trade up my beast for a CPO'ed '09 RS6 in two years. :rs6kiss:
US will get the car in the Fall "08.....

Leadfoot
September 4th, 2007, 22:35

Where did you get this info from. Was it you dealer or AoA?

aarong
September 4th, 2007, 22:49
every dealer I've spoken to about the RS6 replies invariably with "we haven't sold that since '03"

perhaps they'll wisen up once the official announcement is made, but it still seems kind of weird no one who should have a clue about this car actually does.

artur777
September 4th, 2007, 23:13
It's even not clear when the car goes on sale in Europe, not speaking about other markets, particularly the USA.

Leadfoot
September 4th, 2007, 23:40
I reckon all will be revealed at the official launch at the IAA, possibly then we will know both date for both the Europe and America deliveries.

chewym
September 5th, 2007, 02:46
#2 turned out to be a lot less dissapointing than the op hinted at

RS6 (avant): 13.9 l/100 km
S6: 13.4 l/100 km
M5 (sedan/wagon) 14.8/15
E63: 14.3 and 14.5 for the wagon

More power and better fuel economy than the competition.

gjg
September 5th, 2007, 22:26
#2 turned out to be a lot less dissapointing than the op hinted at

RS6 (avant): 13.9 l/100 km

More power and better fuel economy than the competition.

yeah, and I'm mother Tereza .... guaranteed you will not keep you foot off the throttle to achieve that "economy" - I get between 18-19 l/100 km today .... :lovl: