PDA

View Full Version : Car Uk Magazine tested M5 vs RS6 vs AMG E 55 vs Jaguar R S type

J.Seven
November 19th, 2002, 11:28
They were a bit dissapointed with the new AMG E classe. Lots of power and torque, but air suspension is not up to the job in terms of traction. Jaguar R, was the last, too much body roll and canīt keep the same pace on highways or mountain roads like the others due to handling and less power.

RS6 was claimed to be very fast almost as fast as the AMG and very good body control but some how artificial. Doesnīt give that sporty driving feeling like the BMW. Again the BMW was the first, not as fast as the RS6, but way more fun to drive, it was also the only one with manual gearbox. Steering feel was also the best.
They said the 19" wheels equipped RS6 had to much understeer.

Final result
1 BMW M5
2 ex RS6-AMG
4 Jaguar.

J.Seven

avdh
November 19th, 2002, 12:13
They said the 19" wheels equipped RS6 had to much understeer.

Does that mean that with the 18" wheels the RS6 has less understeering ?

Has anyone driven both?

Dave
November 19th, 2002, 17:44
Rumour has it that Audi set up the suspension on the 18" RSTT alloys.. but to be honest we are splitting hairs here... I agree that a top motor sport driver may, and I mean MAY, be able to notice a difference, but between you or I , I don't think it makes much difference. Especially with the new dynamic suspension settings.

My car wears the 19" five spoke. The car remains flat around the corners and I am carrying as much as 20mph more into the corners.. that is hell of a lot... and the car behaves very well.

I've not driven an RS6 with the 18", but I can't belive that it makes all that much difference.

On another point my car came with Continentinal Sports which are Ok.. would much prefer Goodyear Eagle F1's.. but they don't come in 255/35/19 ZR yet.. hope they will make them soon beacuse I would seriously consider changing. The continentinals are Ok in the wet but the compound is a little hard for my likeing.

Cheers
Dave

Gabriel343
November 20th, 2002, 19:30
BMW win!:roll: ;)

Dave
November 20th, 2002, 19:37
Originally posted by J.Seven
Again the BMW was the first, not as fast as the RS6, but way more fun to drive, it was also the only one with manual gearbox.

We always hear this from the journo's.. and I agree if 'fun' is having the back end break away in the form of a power slide.. then great.. on a track lets all have some fun...

But on the highway, with my family aboard, I want the car to stay planted on the road at all speeds and all weather conditions.. you can't get better than quattro :byeM5: .. and if that's not fun.. well, so be it :trash:

Dave

Gabriel343
November 20th, 2002, 19:42
Originally posted by Dave

We always hear this from the journo's.. and I agree if 'fun' is having the back end break away in the form of a power slide.. then great.. on a track lets all have some fun...

But on the highway, with my family aboard, I want the car to stay planted on the road at all speeds and all weather conditions.. you can't get better than quattro :byeM5: .. and if that's not fun.. well, so be it :trash:

Dave
Without rain M5 is very fast:bye:
Chip, exhaust 310 km/h!

J.Seven
November 20th, 2002, 19:44
Hey, no need to show me the finger:hmm:

With M5 your car will be also planted, believe me, ok, the RS6 is safer with slipped surfaces, no doudt about it.

J.Seven

Dave
November 20th, 2002, 19:52
Originally posted by J.Seven
Hey, no need to show me the finger:hmm:

With M5 your car will be also planted, believe me, ok, the RS6 is safer with slipped surfaces, no doudt about it.

J.Seven

LOL... not showing the finger to you mate.. if I were you would know about it:D

No.. I'm just a big fan of quattro.. I've driven plently of fast cars, with and without quattro... on a track give me a 911 turbo any day (my favourite car)....... but when it's pissing down and the roads are busy.. my family aboard (3 young girls: 6, 5 and 18 months and their mother) .. I'll take my RS6 every time

Cheers
Dave:)

Erik
November 25th, 2002, 11:27
Dave, rumor has it Pirelli have Corsas R-compound tires in 19" for the RS6... :devil:

Dave
November 25th, 2002, 21:56
Erik,

I'm going to wait for the Goodyear Eagle F1's.. not made in our size yet :(

dave

Erik
November 25th, 2002, 22:09
Heard a rumor of a certain RS6-MTM being at Continental for testing so don't make up your mind yet...

Dave
November 25th, 2002, 22:15
I have continentinal Sports on mine at the moment.. came with them.. superb in the wet but not so keen on their dry handling.. the compound is quite hard and they make a lot of noise when cornering hard.. I prefer a softer compound that gives more grip...

Maybe they are working on that.. lets hope so...

Dave

Gabriel343
November 25th, 2002, 22:51
Originally posted by Dave
I have continentinal Sports on mine at the moment.. came with them.. superb in the wet but not so keen on their dry handling.. the compound is quite hard and they make a lot of noise when cornering hard.. I prefer a softer compound that gives more grip...

Maybe they are working on that.. lets hope so...

Dave
Also I have the Continental only with to the Michelin in measure 19:(

krm
November 26th, 2002, 01:11
anyone picked up the error where the specs of the E55 says it has 541bhp. Unless I am mistaken, it's pretty funny how an established publication as they are can get it so wrong.