PDA

View Full Version : Sport Auto comparison : S5 vs. Z4 M

emve
August 26th, 2007, 14:52
Hockenheim track :

Z4 M - 1:17,2

S5 - 1:18,8

Could anybody post more test data ? This mag is unfortunately not available in my country.

Leadfoot
August 26th, 2007, 16:52
Not the sort of lap time I would have expected from the S5 but in all fairness Hockenheim seems to be a track that all Quattro cars don't perform well. Especially when compared to what Autoexpress achieved with the S5, posting a time only 0.3s slower than a Cayman S which everyone knows is quite possibly the best handling small coupe ever.

I take this time on Hockenheim as a brief blip on another wise great set of results for the new Audi.

Cayman S 1:15.5s
RS4 1:15.8s with PZero Corsa
E46 M3 1:16.3s
Z4M Coupe 1:17.2s
335i 1:17.8s
S5 1:18.8s
S4 Avant 1:19.1s

But to be fair to the S5, Z4M and the 335i, all of the rest have shown wide variations between their best time and their worst posted by Sport Auto. In fact in some cases the differences is as much as 1.4s.:bigeyes: Just think if you took what I have told you and put these same variations to the ring times of each model only multiply this by a possible 5+ times and you could see why some cars like the R8 etc didn't get anywhere near the time we all expected it to lap the ring in.

The only thing we know for sure is that the Z4M and the S5 recorded their respective times in the same month and that is it, no knowledge of track conditions, track temp. etc. I think with regardless to the S5 I say watch this space, it's time will come down.

KresoF1
August 26th, 2007, 17:48
Sorry Leadie but, S5 is way too heavy for better track time.
My friend from Motorpresse measured S5 on the Oschersleben track few days ago and it turned out slower then 335i Coupe(manual, 19"). More then 1.5s slower...

And S5 Ring time is around 8.28min....

Leadfoot
August 26th, 2007, 19:48
Sorry Leadie but, S5 is way too heavy for better track time.
My friend from Motorpresse measured S5 on the Oschersleben track few days ago and it turned out slower then 335i Coupe(manual, 19"). More then 1.5s slower...

And S5 Ring time is around 8.28min....

KresoF1,

The ring time is around 8:28, this is the biggest amount of BS I have ever witnessed on RS6.com and there has been some big ones.

Congratulations you are number one. :bow:

The unofficial time of the S5 from an Audi source is 8:16, so for it to lose an unbelievable 12 seconds would mean only one of two things, firstly the track conditions were slippy or the driver's ability with the characteristics of quattro was clearly not up to the job.

You say the S5 is over 1.5s slower than the 335i at the Oschersleben track, well look at the track, it's well known that awd cars are in general slower through tightening corners and this track has a total of three hairpin type corners so this time is to be expected. The Hockenheim track that is used by Sport Auto is not the GP track, it's over 2.8miles long so it's a combination of part of the GP track and some in-field track and I wouldn't be surprised to see it's fair share of hairpins once more. But check the ring again as the most of the corners are 3rd gear or higher and it's here where the S5 will be happiest.

It's incredible for you to think that the S5 will actually be as slow as the 2003 S4 Avant which weighs 160Kgs more, has less power and a much worse weight balance. Like I said, top drawer BS if ever I heard it.:lovl:

Come on man the S5 was able to post a time within 0.3s of that which the Cayman S did on the Anglesey Circuit's National track and both are within a whisker of each other in acceleration and braking so cornering wish on this track at least they were on par with each other, if you care to check it's the Cayman S which laps the Hockenheim circuit quicker than all of others I have listed.

Please engage brain before opening mouth. ;)

KresoF1
August 26th, 2007, 20:33
First of all you do not have any class at all.

Moderators, You really should do something here despite the fact that Leadfoot is a heavy posting member... Superstardriver was banned because of heavy language. Insulting post made above by Leadfoot is pure sign of youth or lack of happy childhood...

Leadfoot,

You seems to forget that Sport Auto Horst von Saurma achived 8.09min with RS4(SS+, Ceramics and Corsa tires).

Your 8.16min for S5 is pure wishfull thinking(unlike your lack of manners I am not rude here or personally insulting you as you insulted me) IMHO.

Wait for Sport Auto S5 Supertest in next few issue and you will see that I was right and you were wrong big time.

BTW, I will not post here any more. I am a Audi fan but, I am not Audi nazi...

Leadfoot
August 26th, 2007, 22:18
First of all you do not have any class at all.

Moderators, You really should do something here despite the fact that Leadfoot is a heavy posting member... Superstardriver was banned because of heavy language. Insulting post made above by Leadfoot is pure sign of youth or lack of happy childhood...

Leadfoot,

You seems to forget that Sport Auto Horst von Saurma achived 8.09min with RS4(SS+, Ceramics and Corsa tires).

Your 8.16min for S5 is pure wishfull thinking(unlike your lack of manners I am not rude here or personally insulting you as you insulted me) IMHO.

Wait for Sport Auto S5 Supertest in next few issue and you will see that I was right and you were wrong big time.

BTW, I will not post here any more. I am a Audi fan but, I am not Audi nazi...

Explain how I was rude, in my opinion you are talking rubbish and I am saying as much. I didn't call you names or anything else that would give reason for a Moderator to step in but if they agreed then I would apologize not problems.

Horst von Saurma is a good driver no doubt but like you said it was your opinion that the S5 will post a time of 8:28 not a fact that this time had been recorded, if that's what Sport Auto get well that's it's best on that day, that's all.

Like I said the unofficial time from Audi is 8:16, and similarly their time for the RS4 was 7:58. What that means is the car is capable of posting a time of 7:58 but on the day the best that Horst could achieve was 8:09. It's not tricky to understand, no doubt the 335i was capable of better than it 8:26 but on the day that what is did. Sport Auto's time of the E46 M3 was 8:22 but latter on another time of 8:15 was achieved, again different track conditions achieved different results.

An example of this has to be the R8's time of 8:04, on every other track the R8 has proved to punch above it's weight and on the Bedford Autodome split the two Lambo Galardos, beat the GT3 and 997TT among others, all of which have posted times well under the R8.

artur777
August 26th, 2007, 23:20
Guys, please don't quarrell.
Both of your opinions are very interesting here and important.

I read both of you with great interest.

Leadfoot
August 26th, 2007, 23:23
I've already sent a PM to KresoF1 apologize for my out burst.

Hopefully things are sorted.

artur777
August 26th, 2007, 23:33
Leadfoot,

respect.
+1

Leadfoot
August 26th, 2007, 23:52
Thanks artur777,

I think at times I get to close to the action. When know I am right about something I stick to my guns and unfortunately things get said in the heat of the moment.

Oh well, hopefully water under the bridge.

KresoF1
August 27th, 2007, 08:04
I've already sent a PM to KresoF1 apologize for my out burst.

Hopefully things are sorted.

Leadie,

I am OK. Apologize taken.

Regarding S5 Ring time... Sport Auto(Motorpresse) already measured S5 on th Nordschleife and time is 8.2Xmin... I already know precise time but, in next few issue it will be published and then you will have a chance to discuss it. Keep in mind that both 7.58min(RS4, this is actually dream time according to some Audi insider) and 7.55min(R8, driver was Tom Kristenssen) were transfered in von Saurma hands in 8.09min(RS4) and 8.04min(R8) so, you can safely add 11s to your 8.16min S5 time and you will get soon-to-be-published Sport Auto Supertest time...

BTW, Horst is very good driver indeed since his Gallardo Superleggers time 7.46min was almost mirrored by Italian race driver who tested Gallardo Superleggera for Italian Car magazine, his time was 7.46,29min. Pretty close to Horst, isn't it?

Other thing Auto Bild Sportscar Edition tested R8 on Oschersleben against Jag XKR, Vette C6 and 997C4S and it turned out to be faster on the track. BUT, it was way slower then 997 Turbo, F430 or Gallardo. Way slower is more then 5s on Oschersleben... OK, this example of R8 was equiped with Magnetic Ride, R-Tronic and normal Pirelli P Zero The Hero tires but, never the less it was 5s slower then 997 Turbo(Manual, LSD, PCCB, normal Michelin Pilot Sport2 N1 tires)...

Regarding your favourite EVO Bedford track time... Do you really belive that Gallardo Superleggera is just 0.4s faster on that track then R8?! Now, that is pure as possible crap by EVO stuff. Even my best friend who is Reginal Director of Sales for Audi said to me that EVO time is little bit too optimistic... Gallardo Superleggera is around 15s faster then R8 on the Ring according to internal Audi file that I personally saw...

S5 is a great sporty coupe for everyday and every weather use. I congrat you on your order!

Remember that I have R8 on order but, I am not thinking that it is faster then 997 Turbo or Gallardo. Simple long test drive in Austria proved to me that 997 Turbo is clearly the faster car in every possible condition. BUT, R8 is more driver friendly and IMHO it offers more driver pleasure. So, power and sheer speed is not everything, at least for me...

Erik
August 27th, 2007, 09:19
Explain how I was rude, in my opinion you are talking rubbish and I am saying as much. I didn't call you names or anything else that would give reason for a Moderator to step in but if they agreed then I would apologize not problems.

"Please engage brain before opening mouth" is what you wrote and please don't do it again, but is seems problem's solved.

Leadfoot
August 27th, 2007, 09:42
"Please engage brain before opening mouth" is what you wrote and please don't do it again, but is seems problem's solved.

Erik,

You know me, I always own up to my mistakes and in this case I already have apologized.

chewym
August 27th, 2007, 09:57
The R8 has defeated the Corvette Z06/Porsche Turbo on a tight American race track. Of course it would lose out on the Ring.

Leadfoot
August 27th, 2007, 11:36
The R8 has defeated the Corvette Z06/Porsche Turbo on a tight American race track. Of course it would lose out on the Ring.

Regardless of what time any of these cars get on any of the tracks, their times are only really relevant when cars are tested side by side and you get to see how each cope with the track conditions on the day. Like the event held by AUTOEXPRESS at the Anglesey Circuit, here on the day the S5 was only 0.3s behind the Cayman S and 1.3s between the M5. The only time when different day track times are relevant is when it's wet track times and they hose the entire track with water, the same for everyone.

This might sound like a cop-out but the more I read the results of both Hockenheim and the ring the more I find that on each visit Sport Auto make with each car the time vary and with Hockenheim the variations can be as much as 1.3s, now that places a car in to a totally different class of competition and elevates it from a decent handling car to an amazing one.

Please remember this when reading and posting times and always consider the track conditions and the variations that will happen. Best bet is the only compare times held on the same day as a reference.

audi_ch
August 28th, 2007, 14:02
Not the sort of lap time I would have expected from the S5 but in all fairness Hockenheim seems to be a track that all Quattro cars don't perform well. Especially when compared to what Autoexpress achieved with the S5, posting a time only 0.3s slower than a Cayman S which everyone knows is quite possibly the best handling small coupe ever.

I take this time on Hockenheim as a brief blip on another wise great set of results for the new Audi.

Cayman S 1:15.5s
RS4 1:15.8s with PZero Corsa
E46 M3 1:16.3s
Z4M Coupe 1:17.2s
335i 1:17.8s
S5 1:18.8s
S4 Avant 1:19.1s

But to be fair to the S5, Z4M and the 335i, all of the rest have shown wide variations between their best time and their worst posted by Sport Auto. In fact in some cases the differences is as much as 1.4s.:bigeyes: Just think if you took what I have told you and put these same variations to the ring times of each model only multiply this by a possible 5+ times and you could see why some cars like the R8 etc didn't get anywhere near the time we all expected it to lap the ring in.

The only thing we know for sure is that the Z4M and the S5 recorded their respective times in the same month and that is it, no knowledge of track conditions, track temp. etc. I think with regardless to the S5 I say watch this space, it's time will come down.

R8 time was 1:12,8 s witch is not bad at all

Leadfoot
August 28th, 2007, 14:31
R8 time was 1:12,8 s witch is not bad at all

Surely that puts more fuel on the fire as to the awful time it's achieved on the ring.

audi_ch
August 28th, 2007, 15:18
Surely that puts more fuel on the fire as to the awful time it's achieved on the ring.

I remember autosport supertest of the r8. They were slithly disapointed by the 8.04 nordschleife time, specially compered to the rs4 with is 8.09. And then they compered the topspeed of those 2 cars on the Nordschleife, and the figured out that the rs4 has almost 10kmh more topspeed on the strightline like Dötingerhöhe, and as well on other strightlines.

But the r8 has almost in every turn higher speed then the rs4.

They said on the first look it is straing that the lighter r8 has slower highspeeds than the heavier rs4, but the cause is that the r8 has more drag then the heavier rs4, (bad drag coeficant due to his big face and additional oppenings on his side) and so this is probably the reason for the highspeed difference.

The r8 clairly made his time on corners over the rs4.

in acceleraiton compaired to 200 kmh the r8 was faster about, 0,7seconds than the rs4, witch means that over 200 kmh the rs4 will gain some meters on the r8.

So for a good nordschleife time we have to wait for the r8 v10.

Leadfoot
August 28th, 2007, 16:13
Here's to funny thing about the aerodynamics, yes the R8 is a bit worse than the RS4 but it has a much smaller frontal area to catch the wind so it's basically swings and roundabouts, one should cancel the other out.

They say that the RS4 is pulling meters back against the R8 but they say the R8 is quicker through the corners so on the final corner coming on to that long straight the R8 is entering it at a high speed to begin with. I don't disagree that there is little difference between the two to 250km/h with the R8 having the edge and other tests prove as much. But it should have achieved a high speed on that long straight as in testing the R8s were talked about hitting 285km/h before the end. That's 30km/h more than this is.

But there again the unofficial time is closer to 7:52 so you would clearly need to be close on 285km/h on the straight for a time like that. ;)

emve
August 30th, 2007, 22:22
The numbers, finally.

S5
0-100km/h - 5,3s
0-160km/h - 12,5s
0-200km/h - 19,8s

18m slalom - 65,1 km/h

100-0 km/h - 37m

Z4 M
0-100km/h - 5,2s
0-160km/h - 11,8s