PDA

View Full Version : S-Mode and ESP - Clarification Needed

42TT
August 17th, 2007, 14:07
Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the following questions

ESP

1) When you press the button once is the system full disabled? If not does it require you to hold the buttom down like the new RS4 B7?

S-Mode

1) Can it be made to hold a gear if you dont press the kickdown switch?
2) Does it raise the rev limit of the engine? If so by how much and what is the standard rev limit?

Cheers
42tt

nene
August 17th, 2007, 15:20
Answer to question 1 on ESP (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4319&highlight=ESP)

S-Mode
1. It will hold the gear until you hit close to the rev limit, and it will go to the next upward gear, if you are still accelerating. If you are in one gear, it will hold on that gear, however if the car is decelerating, it will lower to the next downward gear also by itself (the car really has to be decelerating to a point that it only makes sense to lower the gear). The kickdown switch I assume is the steering wheel flippers. You really have to be more detailed on what you are doing, or plan to do. This car is too smart!!!

2. The rev limit of the engine is the same in any setting (S-mode, D-mode, manu-matic).

Hope this helps.

Hy Octane
August 17th, 2007, 17:45
The ESP switch deactivates the ESP with just one push. You will see the triangle lit up in the speedo when this happens.. however, there is some grey area regarding if it is actually totally disabled.

In S mode, unless you are using WOT, the tranny will adapt to your style.. sort of.. If you are driving on open roads with little traffic, S mode will use a more aggressive shift program.. however, if you stay in S mode and encounter traffic, the car will slowly switch to a less aggressive program eventually duplicating the D mode programming until you return to sporty driving. Its continually adaptive. I would have liked to see them give us the choice of finding the program that suits our style and then being able to lock that program in so it cant keep changing on you when you dont expect it.

JP4
August 20th, 2007, 04:11
Answer to question 1 on ESP (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4319&highlight=ESP)

1.The kickdown switch I assume is the steering wheel flippers. You really have to be more detailed on what you are doing, or plan to do. This car is too smart!!!

I believe the kickdown switch he is referring to is the one on the throttle. When the throttle stops moving initially, a little more pedal effort produces a "click" type of sensation which allows the throttle to move a bit more. This initiates a down shift to "passing gear" assuming the rpm range will allow the down shift.

The "kick-down" switch will initiate a downshift regardless of what mode the tranny is in. "D" "S" or Tip mode as long as the rpm is within the appropriate range.

42TT
August 20th, 2007, 09:05
JP4 - Thanks that wat I was asking, but i was told by someone that S-Mode raised the rev limit by 500rpm or so but since it doesnt i will just use tiptronic mode to have the car dyno'd

42tt