PDA

View Full Version : Does yours do this?

Hy Octane
August 16th, 2007, 17:06
Hi all. I am having Audi's top dog here in the USA do some warranty fixes to my car in a few weeks. namely, we are going to replace the front 2 shocks again and redo the DRC in search of the original stiffer than hell ride it came with. Also, the rear differential is making a loud whining sound so it will be replaced as well. There is an issue with the tranny that I am experiencing and I wanted to get you guys feedback as this is something it didnt do when new.
Whenever I am cruising along the highways in 4th or 5th gears, if the rpm is in the 2000-2500 range and I take my foot off the gas for a secoond or two to coast, then reapply throttle, there is what seems like a slippage of the clutch mechanism as the revs go up a few hundred rpm and then it locks up again .. This happens every time I do this regardless of how long it coasts for. Its most annoying and not befitting a car this exclusive. My tech says they intentionally reprogrammed more slip into the USA models as Audi still wrongly believes we 'mericuns hate quick hard shifts (ala the Porsches ZF trannys) and favor smooth slipping ones instead. he says the CEL would come on if the slippage was excessive and as the tranny wears in, this becomes more noticeable. Well, maybe so, but it drives me nuts... especially in traffic where you are on and off the gas alot. The only way to adjust this (he says) is to have the tranny chip removed (requiring disassembly) and reprogrammed if you could find someone to do this..not really an option.. But I am curious if they all do it. So, do you have this Sliptronic USA feature on yours?

Boosted-Bora
August 16th, 2007, 17:47
I never noticed this but will pay attention today on my way back home from work

AuditudeA642
August 16th, 2007, 18:11
you really dont have good luck with audi's.

Benman
August 16th, 2007, 21:30
I never noticed this but will pay attention today on my way back home from work

Ditto. Never noticed but will look for it. And yes, as AuditudeA642 brings out, your luck with Audis has been a bummer Paul. Sorry.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

s42ski
August 17th, 2007, 04:17
Paul, where are you having the service performed ? My car is starting to feel loose again after its DRC "repair". I did the old bounce test on the rear and it moves about 2 inches easily when it used to be rock solid....Maybe I can bring mine around to form a "comparison" of what it should not be. When they repaired mine, they replaced one shock and the valve, did not even replace the other.... As the Governor of our state one said in a movie " I'll be back"

Hy Octane
August 17th, 2007, 06:00
I am having it done on Sept 5th & 6th at BHPA.
I'm sure we can have them look at it. I'll keep ya posted.

nene
August 17th, 2007, 15:27
Never noticed it before Hy_O, but will see if I can do a test run today and report.

audirs6sport
August 20th, 2007, 10:05
my tranny was worse than that. it got to a point where it would not even shift right by itself. gears were slipping literally, and had to get a new tranny. the "stiffer" feeling that the car came with, i know what you mean. the dealership keeps on telling me it is fine. but damn i know my m3 setting is "STIFF" and i am used to it. however, i can definetely feel that the rs6 is getting softer... i hope audi uses something definetely better with less problem on the upcoming rs6.

gjg
August 20th, 2007, 18:11
There is an issue with the tranny that I am experiencing and I wanted to get you guys feedback as this is something it didnt do when new.
Whenever I am cruising along the highways in 4th or 5th gears, if the rpm is in the 2000-2500 range and I take my foot off the gas for a secoond or two to coast, then reapply throttle, there is what seems like a slippage of the clutch mechanism as the revs go up a few hundred rpm and then it locks up again .. This happens every time I do this regardless of how long it coasts for. Its most annoying and not befitting a car this exclusive. My tech says they intentionally reprogrammed more slip into the USA models as Audi still wrongly believes we 'mericuns hate quick hard shifts (ala the Porsches ZF trannys) and favor smooth slipping ones instead. he says the CEL would come on if the slippage was excessive and as the tranny wears in, this becomes more noticeable. Well, maybe so, but it drives me nuts... especially in traffic where you are on and off the gas alot. The only way to adjust this (he says) is to have the tranny chip removed (requiring disassembly) and reprogrammed if you could find someone to do this..not really an option.. But I am curious if they all do it. So, do you have this Sliptronic USA feature on yours?

did you change the tranny fluid? Does it slip more in low gear (1-2) with full throttle?

mine behaved similary (have MTM chips, definitely no made for US .... :hihi: ) - flush and fresh gear oil cured the problem. Hope this helps some :vhmmm:

Hy Octane
August 20th, 2007, 18:52
Yes. had tranny service performed 5k miles ago. made no difference really (except it did make the shifts smoother). It slips in 3rd, 4th and 5th. but not in 1st or 2nd.

aarong
August 20th, 2007, 22:08
Hmm, now you've got me thinking too. The paddle delay drives me absolutely insane...but I don't think mines too unstiff. Then again, this is my first 'real' car...

sidenote: do the LA people ever get together for a burger or beer and oogle each others RS6s? I could use a mentor or two with this beast.

42TT
August 21st, 2007, 06:52
Hy Octane - Mine also "slips" into 4th on cruise in tip mode if I try to upshift to shift too early ~2000rpm, it may be that the ecu is allowing the engine to rev slightly to allow the rev's required for a 3rd > 4th change.

Not sure if this is what you are describing.

42tt

Hy Octane
September 11th, 2007, 04:21
Well, it turns out it was the faulty failing rear differential that was producing so much drag it caused the clutch to disengage ever time I lifted off the gas. It was getting pretty bad. kinda like the handbrake was on a little bit while driving. New diff installed and all is back to normal. Coulda sworn it was the tranny going out., Glad its not!