PDA

View Full Version : Rev RS4 - Loss of power

M3_Defector
August 14th, 2007, 03:58
All, I read somewhere on the board prior, that when you rev to somewhere around 5k-7k RPM in going from 1st to 2nd you experience a sudden lost of power. This has happen to me a few times already. I belive the member had a hose replaced that was the issue. I am trying to get more information on this topic before going into the dealer next week.

Any help will be appreciated. 2007 RS4..and loving it!

MrBucket
August 14th, 2007, 05:03
It could be the hot weather we are having and how the ecu controls the extra flap in the bottom of our air box, if this flap closes then the car loses power. Im not 100% sure but I think this flap uses air temperatures as one of the things that opens or closes it.

rs4some
August 14th, 2007, 10:03
its more than likely the traction control kicking in. Turn off the ESP and then try it as it should not happen

Audihead
August 14th, 2007, 16:27
its more than likely the traction control kicking in. Turn off the ESP and then try it as it should not happen

That's the problem. Shut Off The ESP!

RS4B7
August 14th, 2007, 17:23
If you car is produced before 06/2006 the have a ECU update (24H8) after this the loss of power after shifting from the 1>2 gear its less .

My dealer call me to visit him to get this update .

BigRick
August 14th, 2007, 17:44
If you car is produced before 06/2006 the have a ECU update (24H8) after this the loss of power after shifting from the 1>2 gear its less .

Oh really! Calling my dealer right now! Because until now I was simply pushing two buttons every time I started the car (the ESP and the Sport button)

Thanks dude!

M3_Defector
August 15th, 2007, 02:56
Excellent Responses.. will check with the dealer and also take off the ESP. This is something that is not consistant, thought I would see the yellow traction control light coming on if that were the case. Thanks..will update with my progress. My car was built in Jan 2007...

Cheers

BigRick
August 15th, 2007, 12:48

Strangely my dealler has no clue of what 24H8 means! They're saying that they did I3 on my last visit... but then, I have no clue of what I3 is.

Well I'll have to do some investigation

Audihead
August 15th, 2007, 18:29
Strangely my dealler has no clue of what 24H8 means! They're saying that they did I3 on my last visit... but then, I have no clue of what I3 is.

Well I'll have to do some investigation

I believe the I3 has to do with the hesitation and RPM stumble at any speed between 2K and 3K on the tach. I had this done at my 1st service. I have not heard of this other campaign that has been mentioned.

RS4B7
August 15th, 2007, 18:49
The wrote this 24H 8 in my log book , that the did it .With Signature and Stamp from the dealer .

BigRick
August 22nd, 2007, 21:54
The wrote this 24H 8 in my log book , that the did it .With Signature and Stamp from the dealer .

Ok so here is the information I got from my dealer.

24H8 is a prefix to other technical number that are more meaningful. From what I understood 24H8-I3 was the update I got on my first visit. 24H8 would then mean update for RS4 or something like that.

Long story short. I had the update sometime ago and never tried again with ASR on. I just tried it and it went flawlessly (no hik-ups). So at the end 24H8-I3 took care of the issue in my case.

Cheers!

RI_RS4
August 22nd, 2007, 22:43
The I3 update does just about nothing, since it is a fix for a bad checksum in the ECU software. But it is a cumulative ECU update, so it is possible that if you had a very early car that a previous update was not performed. Or, it could be that the change you perceive is due to the ECU reset that has to occur during the update.

As for stumbling during shifts, this is the ASR system kicking in and cutting the throttle. If you turn the ESP off it will go away.

BigRick
August 23rd, 2007, 02:18
The I3 update does just about nothing, since it is a fix for a bad checksum in the ECU software. But it is a cumulative ECU update, so it is possible that if you had a very early car that a previous update was not performed. Or, it could be that the change you perceive is due to the ECU reset that has to occur during the update.

As for stumbling during shifts, this is the ASR system kicking in and cutting the throttle. If you turn the ESP off it will go away.

Thanks for the info, but there is supposedly an update that reduce the ASR in full acceleration. I really think I got it since I no longer need to disable ASR to eliminate the power loss. ASR ON or OFF doesn't make any difference now when accelerating hard and shifting from 1st to 2nd.

RI_RS4
August 23rd, 2007, 05:59
I'll have to check it out again Rick. Thanks for the heads up.