PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide...extended warranty or not

CornersWell
August 13th, 2007, 17:32
All,

I'm having a difficult time deciding what to do, so I'll open this up to you for comments.

I have about 5 days remaining on my existing factory warranty (4-yr, 50K). The car is CPO'd, however, so it is covered for another 2-yr, 50K period. Issue is whether to purchase a 3rd party extended warranty. Car is at 43K and stock.

Dealer offers one by WarranTech, which is the only one they presented to me. Frankly, btw, I'm VERY disappointed in my dealer's response. I started this over a month ago, and they've ignored me until I went there and confronted them. That's an aside. Anyway, the quote was for $4,300 for an additional 4-yr, 50K policy. It does cover some additional items that the CPO coverage does not (tie rods, CV boots), but other than that, it appears that I'd just be purchasing redundant coverage. Which I feel is wasteful, and at their quote, very expensive. However, if I'm going to purchase a warranty from any 3rd party, it has to be done this week prior to the expiration of the existing factory warranty.

So, at $4.3K, is it worth it? I suppose it's about my beliefs that the tie rods or CV boots will fail, as virtually everything else is covered by CPO. In my mind, I've decided not to purchase this warranty, but I'm open to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,

CW

BLITZEN
August 14th, 2007, 06:43
I don't think the CPO covers maintenance. Would the extended coverage take care of the 70,000 mile maintenance and timing belt change? If so, then you recoup most of the cost right there and it sounds good.

If not, I would put the $4300 in a money market account. 1) Then you're not depending on anyone else to care for your cars needs and 2) money market interest should add another $200/yr to that account so you'd have $4730 saved when the CPO warranty expires.

IM QUIKR
August 20th, 2007, 22:27
Have you checked out www. warrantydirect.com ? I have them for 2 of my vehicles and I'd use nobody else. They are an A+ insurance company.

I'm guessing that the RS6 will be expensive no matter who you go with but you really want a company that doesn't try to not pay a claim. Some of these companies are real scam artists.

:cheers: