PDA

View Full Version : S5 vs Impreza vs 335d vs VRX8 vs S-Type R.

Leadfoot
August 10th, 2007, 00:29
I think you will all find this very interesting and it surprised me.

S5vsOTHERS (http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=226821&CT=V)

Enjoy. :thumb:

rqiu
August 10th, 2007, 03:23
VXR8 has 417hp - performance-wise, it should be compared to RS4/RS5.

skratch
August 10th, 2007, 05:58
335d has 282bhp @ 4400rpm

really unfair,why in gods name did they test high performance gasoline cars up against a Deisel?

a normal 335 should have been used,this is more bs and another reason why I hate autocar.

could they not find a more handi capped 335?

Leadfoot
August 10th, 2007, 09:07
335d has 282bhp @ 4400rpm

really unfair,why in gods name did they test high performance gasoline cars up against a Deisel?

a normal 335 should have been used,this is more bs and another reason why I hate autocar.

could they not find a more handi capped 335?

Unfortunately you haven't read the full report and why the 335d was chosen and included among all of the others. No doubt the 335i would have put up a better showing and would have been very close to the S5 at the finish line but this wasn't the reason why I posted the video, to run Beemers down.

No I posted it because up to date this is the first race that has been posted on YOUTUBE or the likes showing a S5 and based on what I saw I was more than impressed, it tor off the line best of all, no doubt it's superior traction over the other cars including the Impreza, another awd car and it stayed in front of the big 6.0L VXR8 up to an estimated 125~130mph which is no mean feat when you consider that as rqiu rightly informed us that the Vauxhall is more a rival to the M3 and RS4.

As I already said, I am more than impressed with the S5 and to prove the point here's the old S4v8 racing another Impreza with only 300hp not the 320hp of this one.

S4vsIMPREZA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzjr19F5nHE) and another M3xsS4vsIMPREZA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GURnYX00LKE)

skratch
August 10th, 2007, 19:20
I like the s5 and I have no problems with how it ran,Why would someone setup a race with a few all wheel drive cars,a few rear wheel drive cars and then have some 420hp and some 280hp and use a diesel.It dosnt make sence and I didnt read why they used a 335d.

I'm baised to the 335 because I just took my second test drive and I ordered an 08 model...But for them to use a 335d makes no sence at all,the power band in that car falls flat on its face after 4,500 rpms.

The 335ix should of been used to make it a fair race.

I really wanted to see how a 335i does against the s5

You can't buy the 335d here in the states also.

Can you post the read about the cars,I cant find it from your link,Im dieing to know why they put up a 280hp car up against a 417hp

edit-just watched it again....they used a touring 335d lol

"Its called a race, a drag race" lol ,how far can they go to make the 335 look bad

Leadfoot
August 10th, 2007, 20:52
skratch,

Trust me when I tell you that they rated the 335d M/Sport Touring very highly indeed, in fact they rate it the best value for money car at any price. As you said the 335d isn't available in the States and it's your lose because this really is a better car than the 335i for everything other than out right acceleration.

The torque this thing produces is truly amazing and the key to why it is so loved by all road testers who drive it.

At present there is no link to the review and to be fair all cars put up a pretty good showing, but like I said the S5 in their opinion offered the best overall package of ride, power, engine, looks, interior and handling. Though they felt it's handling had taken a step back from that of the RS4 which I can live with in the knowledge that it (RS4) is the match and in some cases better than the M3v8, so to be not quite as good as a car costing £10K more isn't that bad.

I actually got the figures wrong, the S5 was 0.05s slower than the Impreza around the track and 0.2s slower than it to 100mph.

I felt they were a little hard on the 3 series about interior quality, with the right combinations of trim the car can look really nice but I would agree that it isn't to the standard of the S5 which is truly amazing in style and quality, more with keeping of a car costing tens of thousands more.

Leadfoot
August 10th, 2007, 22:05
I'm baised to the 335 because I just took my second test drive and I ordered an 08 model...But for them to use a 335d makes no sence at all,the power band in that car falls flat on its face after 4,500 rpms.

The 335ix should of been used to make it a fair race.

I really wanted to see how a 335i does against the s5

Good choice, I still think it's a better buy than the new M3 regardless of it's trick M-diff and race technology engine. As a day to day car it's the best BMW on sale in the US, wee dig as the 335d isn't available there. :hihi: I to would love to see a race between a 335i and a S5, and frankly I couldn't care which won because I love them both. If the 335i had been built like an Audi, looked like an Audi and drove like an Audi, then chances are I would have bought one. :D

As for the race, no doubt it will appear on YOUTUBE soon and open a whole can of worms in the process.;)

chewym
August 11th, 2007, 00:24
They even picked a wagon BMW, just to have it play a role of a "family" vehicle. They could have easily picked an Avant RS4 and compared it against a 911. The point was to get a mixed up group of cars and see which one would win a 1/2 mile race.

I liked the video as it was well done. The S5 did very well. It appears to launch extremly well (MT 0-60 in 4.5 seconds) and pull much better at higher speeds than the S4.

rqiu
August 11th, 2007, 01:18
Good choice, I still think it's a better buy than the new M3 regardless of it's trick M-diff and race technology engine. As a day to day car it's the best BMW on sale in the US, wee dig as the 335d isn't available there. :hihi: I to would love to see a race between a 335i and a S5, and frankly I couldn't care which won because I love them both. If the 335i had been built like an Audi, looked like an Audi and drove like an Audi, then chances are I would have bought one. :D

As for the race, no doubt it will appear on YOUTUBE soon and open a whole can of worms in the process.;)

Hopefully we will see the new 3.0/3.2 L twin turbo A4/S4 from Audi soon. I'd like to see it race against the 335i. Let's find out who builds a better turbo engine. :cheers:

Clio16V
August 21st, 2007, 21:23
Quick car that 335d!

Leadfoot
August 22nd, 2007, 23:33
Quick car that 335d!

As an every day option, way better than a 335i and after you have got pass the BS of out and out acceleration the 335d will walk the 335i in every gear plus return amazing mpg. Shit the thing even handles as well.

A win win situation.

Benman
August 22nd, 2007, 23:59
Thanks for the link Leadie. Was suprised to see the S5 so close to the VRX8 considering the HP difference. Cool stuff!:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Thrives
August 23rd, 2007, 10:47
Yep, I was also most impressed by the Beemer on this one. That 335d really goes.

Of course, it is nice to see that the 354 bhp S5 still has the grunt to fly a bit. BTW, where was the Jag? Shouldn't he be coming along quite well with his supercharger and almost 400 bhp?