PDA

View Full Version : rs4 takes m3csl

audi_ch
August 9th, 2007, 18:38
Dear all

after a lot of reading in this forum a finaly made my registration here.

i am from switzerland mountain regions and driving a rs4 b5. Will change to rs4 b7.

Anyway there is a video where a rs4 b7 limo clearly takes a m3 csl.

watch it and have fun

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MB6u1sFvihA

So clearly a big difference between rs4 limo and advant, from older video

see you

Leadfoot
August 9th, 2007, 18:55
I watched that video the other night and to be totally honest, the driver in the RS4 looked to be the more experienced and was clearly catching the CSL quite easily. I reckon the CSL driver seen this in his rear-view mirror and when they approached the the main straight he eased off a bit to allow the RS4 by.

I might be wrong on this but it's what I expect happened from my own experience.

Rutkowsky
August 9th, 2007, 19:44
+ 1 Leadie, as good as RS4 is i don't think that would ever happen

Leadfoot
August 9th, 2007, 19:56
+ 1 Leadie, as good as RS4 is i don't think that would ever happen

All things equal, the CSL on a dry track would wipe the floor with a RS4. But as we always know, things aren't always equal and I have seen a Mini Cooper S driven by a professional driver hound a Nobel R400 driven by an OK driver around the track (a very tight track I may add).

So the lesson of this story is, don't always expect that just because you have the quickest car means you will always win the race.

If the race was purely acceleration from a standing start then the victory will go to the RS4. Out right grip off the line would not allow the CSL to regain the ground lost to it. A similar video proved as much when at the M6Board.Com meeting a RS4 which lost in a rolling start beat the same M5 from a standing start.

If the race was a rolling start, chances are the CSL would win but I reckon the win would be very little and as speed increased, like over 125mph the RS4 would eventually over haul the CSL. There is no substitute for power and torque.

Rutkowsky, you might not agree with my opinions, but like the man says, that's your god given right.

Rutkowsky
August 9th, 2007, 20:26
:thumb: that is fine Leadie, i agree with 90% of your opinions anyway

audi_ch
August 9th, 2007, 21:36
if you watch the video you see the rs4 has cup tyres. that must help a lot.

the performance figures concerning acceleration are very simular, according to www.einszweidrei.de (http://www.einszweidrei.de), small advantage of the rs4.

Leadfoot
August 9th, 2007, 23:19
if you watch the video you see the rs4 has cup tyres. that must help a lot.

the performance figures concerning acceleration are very simular, according to www.einszweidrei.de (http://www.einszweidrei.de), small advantage of the rs4.

I hate to inform you, but it is an option on the RS4 and the CSL also runs Cup rubber as standard. Sure it will help but the same is true for the CSL.

audi_ch
August 10th, 2007, 09:14
totally agree,

but most rs4 you see with normal tyres, instead many csl have the cup tyres. And not to forget the 07:50 of the csl were on tyres witch we cant compere to todays specification

I just think if we compare this two cars take simular condition (rs4 as limo and not an avant) and same tyres, and the will be mutch closer together than suspected

skratch
August 10th, 2007, 19:28
I think this was in greece and I know the csl driver from another forum.I can ask him to come post up.He just bought the csl and it was like his first time tracking it.

Leadfoot
August 10th, 2007, 20:25
I think this was in greece and I know the csl driver from another forum.I can ask him to come post up.He just bought the csl and it was like his first time tracking it.

If so then my assumption that he let the RS4 pass sounds about right.

Even if the RS4 had been in front, it would be very difficult for the CSL to get pass without the other allowing it pass, the two cars are too evenly match in acceleration for any other explanation.

BigRick
August 11th, 2007, 15:04
As much as I like the RS4 this video proves nothing. I went a couple of times on tracks and the fact that someone passes you doesn't mean he has a better car. You might just be tired or trying new things (early apex, late apex, changing breaking zone) in these cases you normally slow down a bit to make sure you don't find your car in a wall!

I've let an Infinity G35 and a Honda S2000 pass me on one event and trust me that's not because they had better cars. I was trying new race lines and wanted to go slower on these laps... that's it.

my two cents