PDA

View Full Version : parted with RS6

rks838
August 1st, 2007, 05:17
Hey guys, after 3 years with the Beast, it was time for something new. A 997 Carrera S, Meteor Gray (like Daytona), is now in the driveway. The thing I miss most is the sound. Even with the Sport Exhaust, the 911 simply sounds...weak...rattly...yeah I'll come to love it, probably pretty soon, but WHERE'S THE BOOM??? The 911 doesn't make the ground shake, and the relative lack of torque also distinguishes it from the RS6. It is a scalpel; the RS6 was a bruiser with very, very respectable finesse thrown in as well. I really do miss it. I'll have to give the Carrera some time to grow on me - unlike the RS6, I got it because, well, it is a quintessential sports car. I bought the RS6 because I had some sort of arbitrary fondness for it. I miss that "connection" each time I open the Porsche's door, but it's growing on me. Well, that's my deep "goodbye" to the RS6.

:cry: :addict: :asian:

:rs6kiss:

skiwi
August 1st, 2007, 09:16
the 997 will tide you over until the new rs hits the states.....

:-)

Ruergard
August 1st, 2007, 13:49
Sorry to hear that, but time moves on. But you bought an amazing car to replace the beast, the chassie of the 997 is just pure max! Congratz! :)

But as skiwi said.. the new beast will soon be here to rule the streets again! :D

artur777
August 1st, 2007, 14:15
A new Beast is coming!

Benman
August 2nd, 2007, 00:31
Sorry to hear that, but time moves on. But you bought an amazing car to replace the beast, the chassie of the 997 is just pure max! Congratz! :)

Ditto that. Glad to hear though that the RS 6 held a special enough place that you miss it. It really is special. I've really been tempted from time to time to sell the Beast, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I like it too much.:rs6kiss:

Ben:addict:

sechsgang
August 2nd, 2007, 15:06
you dont still have those wheels do you?

howardkc
August 2nd, 2007, 16:22
RKS-

I have been down your exact path... I purchased my first RS6 in 2003 and loved every moment I was with her. In a weak moment however, I ordered a 997S with all the goodies (including the sport exhaust). I kept the RS6 for 6 months after I took delivery of the 997S. Weeks would go by where I'd force myself to drive the 997S and forgo the RS6, almost in the hope that I'd finally fall in love with the Porsche.

In a final attempt to rid myself of the love I had for the RS6 and to finally commit to the 997S, I sold the RS6... For 2 months I only drove the Porsche and on a crisp morning last fall, I did the unthinkable- I traded the 997S in on a pre-owned RS6 (took a massive loss)... The Porsche was sexy, athletic and fun. But it was slow when comapred to my APR chipped RS6 and I missed the RS6 more than words could describe. The 997S was noisy and took great effort and concentration to drive it fast- the RS6 on the other hand was effortless.

I only write because I feel your pain. You'll always yearn for the torque of the RS6, the rarity of it and its siblings and well, it's one of those cars that has such a unique niche that only those in the know can truly apprecaite... All said, I think you'll be back in an RS6 soon. Hopefully, it will be the new RS6 for you... Until then, have fun and enjoy your go-kart from hell!

Benman
August 2nd, 2007, 20:13
RKS-

I have been down your exact path...

Howard :cheers: ,

After reading your post, and shedding some tears, I went out to my garage so I could hug my Beast and let him know Daddy's there, daddy's there... ;)

Benman
August 2nd, 2007, 20:14
you dont still have those wheels do you?

If you're refering to the magnesiums, yes, but they are for a B5 S4 with wide fenders. The offset doesn't quite work with the RS 6. I can email you photos if you like.

rks838
August 2nd, 2007, 21:20
My god, Howard, you have scared the hell out of me. It's an RS6, there's no car like it, what can I say?!?! It's a rare, AWD, full-size über-sedan. More accurately, it's the Beast - it's subtle, yet it rumbles like nothing I've ever heard, and anything you ask of it (within its very high limits), it gives you, with all of its awesomeness.

So far, I'm quite impressed with the 911. But, the Porsche is, well, a Porsche...the same one that was around 40 years ago...of course it's wonderful, what did I expect, it damn well should be for the car that it is...what's so special about this car? Umm...I'll get back to you on that, if possible. Some people like how "mechanical" it sounds. In my opinion, a car should sound like a soul, not various pieces of metal thrown together. Where's the MONSTER in this car? Oh, that's right, it's not a "monster," it doesn't have to torque for that title, it's a...why did "mongoose" come to mind first?? The RS6 could punch a hole through a wall. The 911 couldn't. That makes no sense, yet it does, hopefully?

Benman, I absolutely do feel like I've abandoned my best bud. My Beast is sitting on some unfamiliar asphalt, a big gorilla crying, with a pricetag on his windshield. And I actually just teared up a bit. I'm not kidding :/

But, he'll find another home, and someone else will love him. I'll do what I can with the Mongoose in the driveway. Step one, I need to get that image out of my head...

rks838
August 2nd, 2007, 21:23
By the way, that's not my Beast in the photo, it's from http://www.bb-automobiltechnik.de/bb2004/en/galerie/audi/rs6/index.php

got boost
August 3rd, 2007, 13:55
Howard :cheers: ,

After reading your post, and shedding some tears, I went out to my garage so I could hug my Beast and let him know Daddy's there, daddy's there... ;)

LMAO! I did the same thing! And nothing like turning the key and hearing that beast fire up in the garage, as the steering wheel slowly drops to its preset position and then............well, you guys know what I'm talking about.:rs6kiss:

Still though, good luck rks with the 997S! its a great chassis!

OLMEC
August 5th, 2007, 03:54
What you guys are describing is PURE torture for a guy longing for an RS6 ....

rks838
August 8th, 2007, 22:23
Haha OLMEC, I apologize :)