PDA

View Full Version : About the R8. a couple of tidbits

Hy Octane
July 26th, 2007, 16:44
Hi all..
Spent yesterday with someone in the know from AoA..

R8 will come here first with v8..
NO v10 for the USA... yet..
Next motor for the R8 will be a diesel.. thats right .. they are bringing the diesel here first instead of the V10..
Fate yet to be decided for usa V10..
Tech are currently in training for the R8..

Damienr8
July 26th, 2007, 17:31
Hi all..

Next motor for the R8 will be a diesel.. thats right .. they are bringing the diesel here first instead of the V10..

I fail to understand why Audi would release a diesel before the V10 version. A number of us are waiting for a monster V10. How many of us really want a diesel supercar???
:confused:

Leadfoot
July 26th, 2007, 17:42
I am amazed that America of all places would get a diesel version before the V10 when you consider diesel cars are only starting to go on sell over there with in the next few months.

If anywhere would get the diesel start it would surely be Europe. But what do I know.

RXBG
July 26th, 2007, 21:04
hello hy octane. though i respect your info i will say that my sources have equally well confirmed a V10 first. the diesel is being considered, but will take some time and may be the last engine variant to come out (if at all) given the need for audi to market it as a bluetec.

for perspective, the 3.0 TDI bluetec which has been in development for almost a year will not bow in the USA until late 2008 in the Q7. the diesel variant for the R8 has been only recently considered in the last year, much less actually developed.

Leadfoot
July 26th, 2007, 21:11
RXBG,

I have just returned from Florida and I have to say that you guys are mad, especially on the Interstates. If there is a gap which you would consider able to park a car in you go for it, OK at parking speed, bloody madness at 70+mph.:trash:

RXBG
July 27th, 2007, 00:49
lead,

i have no trouble admitting that FL is the worst stae of the country to drive in. you have a$$holes around every corner wandering into and out of lanes, cutting you off, nearly killing you while on their phone, cruising in the left lane of the highways and refusing to move when you come up behind him with no other cars in sight, and speeding up to keep you from getting in front of them on the left lane just to spite you.

on the other hand we have miles of open roadway. miles. especially in between cities.

Erik
July 27th, 2007, 09:25
Hmm...

Only the V8 has been launched.

V10 and Diesel are all rumors.

guessWHO
July 27th, 2007, 11:33
the diesel is a rumor ... but I really think that they will bring a V10 next year

P.S. what do you think about a diesel V10 ? :)))

guessWHO
July 27th, 2007, 11:37
Hi all..

Why do you think that diesel sucks ? Have you driven the new A5 3.0 TDI ? that engine is amazing ... it has a lot of power and it can compete anytime with a petrol engine. The new diesel engines from Audi are very powerful and they don't need a lot of fuel. So what do you want more ?

If they will put a diesel on the R8 that car will be a bomb ... you will be able to drive 700 - 800 km's and you won't need to refuel. ;)

Hy Octane
February 10th, 2008, 22:38
hello hy octane. though i respect your info i will say that my sources have equally well confirmed a V10 first. the diesel is being considered, but will take some time and may be the last engine variant to come out (if at all) given the need for audi to market it as a bluetec.

for perspective, the 3.0 TDI bluetec which has been in development for almost a year will not bow in the USA until late 2008 in the Q7. the diesel variant for the R8 has been only recently considered in the last year, much less actually developed.

Ok, well I told ya so.. Guess my source is a little better informed than yours.
Its confirmed.. R8 V10 turbo diesel will arrive here in the fall.
No plans yet for gasoline version..

RXBG
February 10th, 2008, 23:21
no diesel V10 in the R8. gas.

where has it been confirmed that it will be a V10 diesel?

Hy Octane
February 11th, 2008, 00:26
New Road and Track for one..

raulg
February 11th, 2008, 04:11
New Road and Track for one..

So the new V10 in the R8 will be a diesel ? I have to find a Road & Track, but ...

Hy Octane
February 11th, 2008, 05:47
I first heard this last summer. Was surprised as well.. but now it seems to be real..

KresoF1
February 11th, 2008, 11:11
I first heard this last summer. Was surprised as well.. but now it seems to be real..

V10 TDI? You must be joking...:nono: :doh:

And R&T is your source of info?:doh:

How about this-if Audi introduce R8 with V10 TDI I will pay to you 10 days at Bora Bora. BUT, if Audi introduce R8 with 5.2L V10 with cca 520hp you will pay to ALL members here 10 days at Bora Bora!

Let's see who is right....:deal:

IhateRWD
February 11th, 2008, 11:27
i'm on the bet for this, first new R8 will be V10 GASOLINE with at least 500HP,i'm very sure that this will be!let the bets begin:)))

RXBG
February 11th, 2008, 13:40
hy octane.

you should know by now that car mags are notoriously wrong.

only "we" are right.

noob.

:)

--- no diesel in the R8 for now. next engine is a high rev V10 NA. think current engine with two more cylinders.

Damienr8
February 11th, 2008, 16:32
V10 TDI? You must be joking...:nono: :doh:

And R&T is your source of info?:doh:

How about this-if Audi introduce R8 with V10 TDI I will pay to you 10 days at Bora Bora. BUT, if Audi introduce R8 with 5.2L V10 with cca 520hp you will pay to ALL members here 10 days at Bora Bora!

Let's see who is right....:deal:

I have no sources but most of the information out there point to a 5.2L V10 and not a TDI as the next engine... BTW, Im due for a vacation soon and Bora Bora sounds fantastic. :jlol:

Wouldnt mind being here right now:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2288/1881923727_df9c9026c7_o.jpg
(Pic I took on vacation last year at the Exuma Isles, Bahamas)

Audifan92
February 11th, 2008, 16:47
lead,

i have no trouble admitting that FL is the worst stae of the country to drive in. you have a$$holes around every corner wandering into and out of lanes, cutting you off, nearly killing you while on their phone, cruising in the left lane of the highways and refusing to move when you come up behind him with no other cars in sight, and speeding up to keep you from getting in front of them on the left lane just to spite you.

on the other hand we have miles of open roadway. miles. especially in between cities.

Haha
that is so true

Ti-Mike
February 11th, 2008, 21:09
I can tell you 2 reasons why the V10 will be a gas engine.
1. Most of the current R8 drivers have made a reservation on the V10 - 5.2l gas version.

Audi would be very much in trouble to tell all the people that the car will arrive as diesel version now. ( I wouldn't mind, massive torque )

2. I have been at a place in germany and have seen 9 (nine) V10-5.2l ready to go, to be tested and i have been myself on the race track this late fall when 3 of them have been tested.

The V10 will be NO diesel.

The only thing I can confir is that the V12 diesel will be out much earlier then most of you think.

RXBG
February 11th, 2008, 21:28
ti mike. will they be rolling on 20's?

Leadfoot
February 11th, 2008, 21:37
The only thing I can confir is that the V12 diesel will be out much earlier then most of you think.

Well some of us did know a while ago. ;) I agree that it going to be here soon, in fact very soon for a concept to become a reality.

To tell you the truth, this diesel version will be a revelation.

Hy Octane
February 19th, 2008, 01:33
Confirmed: Audi will offer a V12 turbodiesel next fall in the R8.
I had assumed it would be a V10. My bad.
However, the basic fact was true.
Its up to you to prove it wrong if you so desire..

IhateRWD
February 19th, 2008, 12:08
I like what TopGear said about R8=CAR OF THE YEAR:"When Audi is building something all other manufacturers just leave the building"...."We had a lot of great cars but sadly Audi came to us with the R8, so R8 is car of the year". When i said Audi are building the most thrilling and sportier cars vs M and AMG you didn't believed me...so what's this?:))