PDA

View Full Version : RS246.com report AMD/Sportec engine damage?

Plexus
May 27th, 2003, 20:55
I have read aroport on RS246.com about an RS6 owner who has had his engine chipped by AMD in the with the Sportec programme and it has failed and blown the engine!!
Has anyone else heard of this?

This is repeating info seen else where and may not be true.

Erik
May 28th, 2003, 09:27
The owner is Naelson I think: http://www.rs6.com/forum/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=464

gnomik007
May 31st, 2003, 03:55
Can that be counted as tuners fault or it is something else?

Plexus
May 31st, 2003, 08:41
It is an interesting point. The guy seems to be proud of the fact that Audi are repairing the car FOC, however I understand that Audi are now monitoring this and other sites for this information. That said if the engine went because of something else why shouldn't Audi replace it?
The lesson I learn't here would be, DON'T boast about voiding any of the warranty clauses on your car, especially in a public forum!! It may come back and bite you in the ass.:cry:

dabull
June 1st, 2003, 04:27
450 HP is more than enough for me. I won't be chipping my car, Audi spent allot of time controlling the heat that this engine generates and I am not going to trust an aftermarket tuner with a car that is already world class. Good luck to you guys that need more power but I am stickin with the stock power. :addict: :addict:

Speedracer
June 1st, 2003, 20:56
Originally posted by dabull
450 HP is more than enough for me. I won't be chipping my car, Audi spent allot of time controlling the heat that this engine generates and I am not going to trust an aftermarket tuner with a car that is already world class. Good luck to you guys that need more power but I am stickin with the stock power. :addict: :addict:

Me too, Bull. Besides, we don't have any autobahns to drive 180 MPH either.
Speed

gregoryindiana
June 1st, 2003, 22:32
Just depends, I think.

MTM and Abt are the 2 I am most familiar with. Both stand behind their products, which are carefully researched and tested. That said, I did wait to modify until the factory warranty was expired anyway!!

Plexus
June 12th, 2003, 09:07
Abt are now official Audi Uk partners. They want, ready for this now, £3000 plus fitting costs to do the chip conversion to the RS6! Ok so you get a warranty and the work is logged with Audi De, but there has never been a problem from Abt or MTM reported as yet, only the sportec/Amd chip conversion. A case of "you can afford the car, so......"

jconley
June 12th, 2003, 11:56
Good points all- The US has VERY consumer friendly warranty laws, however I feel that ethically if you modify you car and contriute to a problem you should accept the responsibilty to pay.

But bull- You say 450 HP is enough now- Wait until you get used to it :)

Erik
June 12th, 2003, 12:29
Everything is not about top speed.

It's how quick you get there that counts! And how quick you can stop to re-live the feeling. :D

When I drove the 500 bhp RS6 in town I could not get rid of the feeling that I was responsible for and driving something best described as a loaded gun. I'm not kidding.
But with the weapon laws you have in the US how could it be a problem? ;)

Plexus
June 12th, 2003, 14:44
Ur abso right, until youv'e driven a tuned RS, it aint real!!

dabull
June 12th, 2003, 16:04
JConley, to tell you the truth I am amazed everytime that I drive my A6 4.2 with the smooth power so I can only assume that I will be that much happier and amazed with 450 HP. :addict: :addict: I think that the potential for speed is also a large part of the enjoyment.

jconley
June 12th, 2003, 16:07
Do you plan taking your RS6 to the track?