PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else's RS6 leak bacon grease?

Spidercat
July 13th, 2007, 20:45
I've noticed a few tiny (1-2 teaspoons) spots of what appears to be thick grease or wax under my RS6. It is cream-colored, has no appreciable odor, and has the consistency somewhere between congeled bacon grease and soft candle wax. It appears to originate on either side of the car, about 1-2 behind and inboard to the front wheels. I also noticed it on the little divets/protrusions/drainholes on the floorpan underneath the car, but the car's so low I can't get under it to really see. I don't have a lift and really don't feel like jacking it up. I'm going to take it in to my dealer, but right now the closest one is 400 miles away, and I will be shipping it to Hawaii tomorrow, so I'll sort it out when I get there, but didn't know if I should be worried in the meantime. It only started a couple weeks ago. Incidentally, I had to have a seal replaced (I think a transfer case seal) since the car was a leaking a small amount of oil. The oil leak stopped, but after driving the car, it will leave tiny puddles of the waxy substance until it cools down again. Does anyone know if this may be just extra grease from and adjacent part from when the seal was replaced, which is just slowly bleeding off, or has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Well, I got an answer from my Audi service dept as I was typing this, but I thought the answer was interesting, so I'll post it anyway for FYI:

A lot of European cars imported to the US had the insides of the frame rails and other parts sprayed with cosmoline (a waxy protectant/rust inhibitor usually used to store military firearms, parts, and tools). He's says he's had a bunch of cars lately with this complaint, since it's been getting so hot lately--I live in El Paso, TX right now and the dealer is in Albuquerque, NM. He said it's nothing to worry about other than having little puddles of wax on your garage floor. Oh yeah, and that the earth is melting. Yet another piece of evidence for the nitwits who don't believe in global warming! :doh:

Yes, I know, the car only gets 10-20 mpg, but at least I recycle, turn off unused lights, plant trees, etc., so I'm allowed ONE indulgence, right?

skiwi
July 13th, 2007, 21:44
i think you have figured it our already....

ben916
July 13th, 2007, 22:33
I don't remember cosmoline(sic) being thick like bacon grease or wax. If anything, it was more like a finely misted oil on metal parts (in my case, the engine of my Ducati 916). There was a specific smell to it also. It usually was burnt off within the first several months of use or on non-metallic parts with a non-streaking cleaner.

Have you tried going to any local shop without taking the car and tell them where you found it?

Do you have any photos of it to share?

Somebody on this forum has to know as they do brake cooling mods and suspension swaps and diverter valve... etc...

Good Luck!

Spidercat
July 14th, 2007, 00:43
ben916,

You make a very good point. Now that I think about it, cosmoline does have a very specific smell, color, and texture, and this stuff doesn't look like it. Also, I've never noticed anything similar on my wife's '04 A4. Like I said, it looks like little puddles of melted off-white candle wax, but softer, like bacon grease. The service guy seemed so sure of himself, I figured it was probably a substance similar to cosmoline, or maybe mixed with a thickener? I'll post some pictures if I don't get an answer from our Hawaii Audi dealer once we get there. I cleaned up our garage and I'm not going to drive the car until we pick it up at the dock, since I gave it a good cleaning and the auto transporter needs it to be spotless when they pick it up so they can annotate every little imperfection. I thought maybe someone on this forum might have an idea about what this "mystery substance" is, as you suggest, or have also noticed it (particularly those in the southwest who have been having 115 degree plus days for a while now). My car is bone stock, by the way.

noboost
July 14th, 2007, 01:22
Cosmoline: A combination of grease, shellac and beeswax with copper sulfate added as a corrosion inhibitor.

So it basically looks like grease. Audi and other manufacturers put the stuff in various cracks and crevices to protect the metal and prevent corrosion. Problem is that it is almost impossible to get out.

The Cosmoline will ooze out of the crevices, often over the life of the car! Most oozing occurs in warm or hot weather. Once the Cosmoline oozes out, it attracts dust and dirt, making an unsightly mess. You can clean it up, but it will resurface again.

mmaturo
July 16th, 2007, 19:57
Haven't seen it on my RS6, but did on my TT. Similar to your description, and only oozed when hot out.