PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Break disc problem?

Andersone
July 10th, 2007, 09:06
I bought my first RS6 a week ago (used). I have had it checked by third party and then had Audi look at a few things. One thing is that the front break discs are "uneven" and I experiene that the there is a lot of "dust" from the pads on the "wheel". I assume this is due small stones etc. getting stuck between the pad and the disc when breaking but I wonder if anyone thinks is something to worry seriously about, i.e. should I change the discs?

Audi says not to worry, but they did not look specifically at the discs, and the third party says that it shouldnt be a problem although it may be necessary to change the pads more often.

Thanks in advance.

skiwi
July 10th, 2007, 10:50
dust is normal. the rs6 standard pads create a lot of it. wash regularly.

Andersone
July 10th, 2007, 12:00
Thanks, its just that there is such a big difference on the dust front and back that makes me a little concerned.

ott
July 10th, 2007, 13:08
Thats because fronts are doing 80% of the work. It's normal. Brake discs last usually not more than 60 000 km and there will be signs of wear already during first 15 000 km, when new discs are installed. This car eats brakes.

Andersone
July 10th, 2007, 13:09
Ok. Thanks.

Aronis
July 10th, 2007, 13:33
Thanks, its just that there is such a big difference on the dust front and back that makes me a little concerned.

Look at EVERY CAR on the road, Hundae, Ferrari, BMW, FORD etc.....the front brakes/wheels are always more covered with brake dust...the front brakes do most of the braking work, that is why they are usually bigger and DUSTIER...

What's more interesting is that the stock brake pads for the RS6 are TAPERED such that the actual swept surface increases as they wear down!

Mike

Barry
July 11th, 2007, 23:27
Yes, you are stopping on the fronts mainly - when I am not driving hard, I find I am adjusting my distance to the obstacles infront of me and changing down to save on the Brake Dust - When the car is clean I try and keep it so - but not for long.

Barry Daytona Avant UK