PDA

View Full Version : PSS9's anyone else have knocking/clunking noises at really really slow speeds

DetailersDomain
July 9th, 2007, 03:35
The noise is only when I make really slow turns into driveways and the wheel is turned either fully right or left about 45 degress -80 degrees (left or right)

what is the solution? please help.

Aronis
July 9th, 2007, 19:26
Quick....

Put some FK506 and Cyclosporine in the tank, STAT, then get Cyclosporine Levels in the morning...you may also need Prednisone...

clearly your car is REJECTING the transplanted suspension....

Just kidding...

It sounds like something other than the shocks, prehaps something came loose after the install, I'd have all the connections checked and retorqued.

Looking forward to hearing what the real problem is.

Of course hearing of a possible PSS9 problem does concern me as that is where I am headed if DRC fails again.

Mike
L

mmaturo
July 9th, 2007, 23:03
I don't think it is your suspension...I have the EXACT same issue for the last several months and I have original DRC. At last service visit they didn't find anything in the suspension except a slightly loose sway bar but that was not it...I am beginning to think it has something to do with the steering. Going in this Friday for the problem...will post if they figure out what it is.

Aronis
July 10th, 2007, 00:20
there were some posts about the streering rack being loose on some cars, perhaps that is it.

Mike

mmaturo
July 10th, 2007, 06:09
thats precisely what i am thinking at this point, and doing a search here and Audiworld...this post helped confirm that for me as i am all stock and so someone with a replaced suspension has the exact same problem and he described it better than i have so far to my service advisor...key is the amount of the wheel being turned, low speeds and a change in level or bumps at the same time which i experimented with tonight and sure enough it occurs everytime. Love the internet, just wished I had this somewhat figured out a month ago when i took it in and nothing could be found.

EATRICE
July 10th, 2007, 18:23
Has everyone agreed that a loose steering rack is at fault for both these cars? Or, have either/both been repaired?

'Cause BLITZEN has a knock at slow speed but only when I'm backing and turn the wheel to the right (like out of a parking space or driveway). Happens on smooth pavement. Is mine be the same problem?

Or, are there any other hypotheses??

mmaturo
July 10th, 2007, 21:28
Mine is going in Friday (July 13th appropiately). Yours may be a CV joint (had what you describe in my old TT and it was joint) as my clunking/popping happens going forward 90% of the time...I will post the fix assuming they find it. Other possible causes suggested or i found on search are CV joints or front axels and a clicking/popping from the front brake calipers. I am going to mention all to the service advisor but seems calipers would not create what i am hearing and feeling (pretty loud) and i think my CV joints have been checked already. Driving me nuts though so hope they find it.

Barry
July 11th, 2007, 23:12
Hi there,
Have a similar problem but very slight - full right turn, slow speed, change of levels (and have also produced it on the flat). Went out for a test drive with the dealer last week, I could not reproduce the noise, car has covered 18000 miles. Will be good to know what you find, I shall watch for your Post, Thanks.

Barry Daytona Avant UK

DetailersDomain
July 11th, 2007, 23:16
would love to know as well. I'll check the theory of the steering as well.

aussie rs6
July 17th, 2007, 09:37
I can confirm loose steering rack caused same noise described- a solid loud clunk.

I could replicate the 'clunk' noise with dealer mechanic in the car by driving slowly ahead and then jerking the steering wheel to the left

after the beast went into the shop all steering rack mounts tightened, plus all front end suspension mounts - clunk then gone on attempt to repeat clunk as described above.

Have never heard this clunk since.

However, every time when i back out of steep driveway at home after start up and back to the right, always get a slight click from the front left wheel which feels a bit like the disc brakes resetting themselves on the discs or similar.

I do not hear this noise when carrying out same motion and the beast is warmed up.:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :bow: :bow: :addict: :addict:

DetailersDomain
July 17th, 2007, 13:14
thanks for the update.

Aronis
July 18th, 2007, 00:28
However, every time when i back out of steep driveway at home after start up and back to the right, always get a slight click from the front left wheel which feels a bit like the disc brakes resetting themselves on the discs or similar.

I do not hear this noise when carrying out same motion and the beast is warmed up.:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :bow: :bow: :addict: :addict:

I hear a similar clicking noise from my front end, I noticed first when the warm weather came after my first winter (got the car in Dec) when I drove with the windows open.

It has been constant for nearly 4 years, not changing, but always there, the mechanics never admit hearing it but many passengers have noticed it.

Typically when changing grade at slow speeds like going up a sidewalk or over a lip in the garrage.

I think it is the mount for the Auto Leveling sensor for the headlights. Its a spring loaded metal clip mount.

Mike

EATRICE
July 18th, 2007, 16:04
I think it is the mount for the Auto Leveling sensor for the headlights. Its a spring loaded metal clip mount.

I think the headlight leveling is the dumbest thing they have on the RS6. Isn't that what the DSC is for? I'd like to save a couple pounds by removing the headlight leveling along with the headlight washer, OnStar and (crappy) Navigation.

Thanks Aussie for sharing your experience. I hope that's all it is.

Aronis
July 20th, 2007, 02:23
wait one darn minute...

The Headlight washers are GREAT.....the first Car I had that had them was the 4.2 A6, love it in the winter instead of having to stop and wash the lights when driving in the snow at night....love that feature...

Also the auto dimming mirrors - great feature.

onstar was fine while it lasted, stopped paying for minimum service as I don't need the cell phone part any more (living in an area with excellent cell coverage handheld works great everywhere). Never needed the 'save me' features...

Mike

mmaturo
July 20th, 2007, 06:29
Weeeelllll my car spent a week at the dealer waiting for parts and working on the problem...unfortunately they could not figure it out. It is a little bit better but still pops as described moving slowly in a turn over a change in level. They replaced the stabilizer bar and the links it attaches too and checked all other suspension components (control arms), checked wheel bearings, axels etc. and couldn't find anything abnormal. They looked around for other causes but couldn't find anything...so still doing it but seems 50% less. I guess I will deal with it till next service visit for something else and add that to the list to keep digging. Oh well.

Aronis
July 21st, 2007, 03:04
well, hows the handling with the PSS9?

DetailersDomain
July 24th, 2007, 14:07
hey everyone here is the update, raised the front suspension about 1/2 an inch and the noise now is about 99% gone I'm guessing if I raise it just a bit more it will go away.

I love the handling the PSS9's it tightens things up a bit and its not harsh at all.
My setting are 6 all around.

Aronis
July 24th, 2007, 15:51
excellent.

what was the total cost and who did it for you?

Mike

grizz
July 24th, 2007, 17:06
fit a set of pss9's , it's the best thing i ever did ...

DetailersDomain
July 24th, 2007, 17:08
Aronis,

KMD Tuning out in Mountainside NJ did the work and sold me the PSS9's.

I don't recall but maybe $2500 to $3k.

I think I want to raise it a bit more and then I will align it.

craigrs62004
August 8th, 2007, 15:54
<tt><tt>i don't know wether my car is loosening up or i have suspension
poblems, it just feels bit skippy on the front and the back with cornering
feels like it want to creep over my soulder , feels like jelly and
sugestions?</tt></tt></pre>

EATRICE
August 8th, 2007, 16:49
<TT><TT>i don't know wether my car is loosening up or i have suspension
poblems, it just feels bit skippy on the front and the back with cornering
feels like it want to creep over my soulder , feels like jelly and

sugestions?</TT></TT>
</PRE>

Your concern sounds contradictary to me, firm "skipping" being the opposite of "jelly".

Either issue could easily be your tires. Check 'em and check the pressure. Keep in mind pressure increases with temperature. As the tires heat up, they become firmer and will skip more. I also suggest using a digital tire pressure guage accurate to .5 lbs or more. An old-style mechanical radial tire pressure guage is just not accurate enough. I bought a digital one for $15.

minimad
August 8th, 2007, 18:09
hey everyone here is the update, raised the front suspension about 1/2 an inch and the noise now is about 99% gone I'm guessing if I raise it just a bit more it will go away.

I love the handling the PSS9's it tightens things up a bit and its not harsh at all.
My setting are 6 all around.

+1, I raised all four suspension 1cm, then all like you say, free of noise and better handling.

craigrs62004
August 21st, 2007, 17:10
i've got a rubbing noise from the back suspesion has anyone had this? alsoit just sounds like a bush that i rubbing on the lower arm do the bushes dry out and if so is it easy to replace ?? any help would be gratefull:addict:

Barry
December 28th, 2007, 15:38
Knocking Cluncking Noises at really Slow Speeds - Yes noise from front wheel area when turning at very slow speeds over differnt levels - such as turning into a raised driveway.

Anyone nailed it yet?

- When I turn right as above the noise eminates from the left wheel well - not a rotating noise, more of a rattle like a loose component.
I reproduced noise for the Dealer - all looked ok, except very slight leak from both rear shocks - Yes fault at rear shock could create noise at the opposed front shock - not the likely cause of my problem - but changed all 4 shocks and both accumulators ( 25000 miles ) - Problem noise still there - So DSC not in the equation. and Pyiu having the same problem with PSS9's. Applying the calipers when the noise is produced makes no difference - so calipers out of the equation also.

We may not all be posting about the same problem - I shall get the steering rack torqued down, its not the stabilizer bar or links - Mmaturo eliminated those.

Anyone any closer to nailing it - or points we can definately eliminate?

Barry - Daytona Avant

Hy Octane
December 28th, 2007, 18:53
Well, apparently they have recalled then Pss9's for the RS6 due to fitment issues. Perhaps this is what you are hearing.

What'sNext
December 30th, 2007, 02:04
Well, apparently they have recalled then Pss9's for the RS6 due to fitment issues. Perhaps this is what you are hearing.

Yep..Went to order a set last week and was told they were all to be sent back to Bilstein due to fitment issues and clunking noises. They expect a fix around February.

jlmoran00
January 2nd, 2008, 18:55
It happens to me as well, when I make slow turns in a parking lot or out of my driveway. I'm taking my car in soon and I will have them check the front end out.

Thanks,

John

Barry
January 3rd, 2008, 21:47
I am not running PSS9's, I am on stock RS6 Suspension with the same problem noise - I spoke to Audi UK last week, they said they know of the problem and Audi Germany are looking into it, they do not know what is causing it, but it is not high on their list of priorities as it is not a safety issue . I asked if they had the same problem reported on any other Audi models and they said yes the A3 ?????

I have asked my man at the UK dealership to make enquiries from his end, and I shall be writing to Audi UK to log my problem and see what I can find out.

Lets face it - if it is not a problem caused by wear, but a design problem of a component or structure, we can not find the fault by trying to eliminate it by replacing parts.

If you have the problem, contact Head of the Technicl Team at Audi for your Country and see what you can find out and post here - more enquiries may push the matter higher up the list of priorities!

I will do likewise.

Barry Daytona Avant

nene
January 4th, 2008, 23:24
So both PSS9 and Statis setup have clunking issues. Maybe the DRC system is best afterall!!!! Got to call Statis back to order their setup.

JCT2033
January 4th, 2008, 23:43
I am having the same problem as Barry in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> under the same situation described by Barry. I also have a stock suspension system and the same type of noise – a rattle like a loose component – coming from the front left wheel well. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I went to couple dealers and have replaced the whole DSC system (all shocks and both accumulators) and even some brackets and bolts in the left wheel. <o:p></o:p>
The noise did go away briefly after one of the dealers did the alignment with some detail adjustments on the toe (according to the dealer).<o:p></o:p>
I am planning to take it back to the dealer next week and hopefully we can solve this crazy problem this time. <o:p></o:p>

grizz
January 5th, 2008, 19:14
I've fitted several pss9 kit's and they have all been fine , there has not been a recall on the pss9 kit .
I have been told they are out of stock until feb due to " production issues " . g

DuckWingDuck
January 6th, 2008, 03:30
I'm with Barry and JCT2033, at extremely low speed turning the wheel, I get this grinding noise...

iconcls
January 10th, 2008, 12:33
Got to call Statis back to order their setup.

Nene, seriously, I'd wait to see if STaSIS fixes their clunking issue. We keep hearing of fixes in the works and my indie mechanic just spoke to STaSIS last week and still no fix. It's been months they've been promising a fix and now I'm growing doubtful we'll ever see this issue resolved.

Also note, the STaSIS clunking is much louder than the DRC clunking ever was!

I'm going to start to investigate Moton.

Hy Octane
January 10th, 2008, 18:08
Hearing lots of good things about the KW V3 coilover system for the beast. Perhaps the best solution out there?

What'sNext
January 12th, 2008, 22:13
Hearing lots of good things about the KW V3 coilover system for the beast. Perhaps the best solution out there?

I will let you know...I have a set on order. :hahahehe:

MrBucket
January 15th, 2008, 05:04
Weeeelllll my car spent a week at the dealer waiting for parts and working on the problem...unfortunately they could not figure it out. It is a little bit better but still pops as described moving slowly in a turn over a change in level. They replaced the stabilizer bar and the links it attaches too and checked all other suspension components (control arms), checked wheel bearings, axels etc. and couldn't find anything abnormal. They looked around for other causes but couldn't find anything...so still doing it but seems 50% less. I guess I will deal with it till next service visit for something else and add that to the list to keep digging. Oh well.

Your clunking is probably from the drc being broken. There is a design flaw in them and they will leak and then clunk and need to be replaced as well as the central valving for the drc. Your best bet is to get an aftermarket suspension as the replacement drc will fail again.

JCT2033
March 17th, 2008, 18:11
I am having the same problem as Barry in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><ST1:place>UK</ST1:place></st1:country-region> under the same situation described by Barry. I also have a stock suspension system and the same type of noise – a rattle like a loose component – coming from the front left wheel well. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
I went to couple dealers and have replaced the whole DSC system (all shocks and both accumulators) and even some brackets and bolts in the left wheel. <O:p></O:p>
The noise did go away briefly after one of the dealers did the alignment with some detail adjustments on the toe (according to the dealer).<O:p></O:p>
I am planning to take it back to the dealer next week and hopefully we can solve this crazy problem this time. <O:p></O:p>

I finally took my car to the local dealer two Fridays ago for the clunking noise in the driver side wheel during a slow-right turn in to/over a dip or uneven surface:mech:. The technician finally called and told me that he is ordering the lower control-arm and related parts for the passenger side. He thinks although the noise is coming from the driver side, but it’s caused by the bushing in the lower control-arm of the opposite side. It’s hard for me to understand, but I am happy to wait and see the result. I will keep you updated. :confused::applause:

aussie rs6
March 17th, 2008, 18:55
I han a similar noise coming from front left wheel area which manifested itself with a sharp turn of the steering wheel either left or right at very low speed.

It turned out that the bolts holding the steering rack on were not tightened up enough.

This is such an obvious fix, I am sure the audi mechanic has tried this already.

just my two cents worth:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:

Barry
June 15th, 2008, 08:31
I still have the noise problem when driving very slow over a change in levels, and turning - I have stock and all new DSC - anyone solved it yet? - My Dealer now says may be Body Flex or noise from within the Dashboard??????

When turning right the noise seams to come from the front left wheel arch.

Any News from anyone?

Barry Daytona Avant

mmaturo
June 16th, 2008, 04:16
Well mine finally stopped after full replacement of the front suspension pieces...both sets of control arms, links, and stabilizer bar twice. My tech said it was still doing it a little bit and tightened everything down again which seemed to do the trick. My DRC was just replaced, but seems to have been more due to the rest of the components.

MrBucket
June 16th, 2008, 04:22
I still have the noise problem when driving very slow over a change in levels, and turning - I have stock and all new DSC - anyone solved it yet? - My Dealer now says may be Body Flex or noise from within the Dashboard??????

When turning right the noise seams to come from the front left wheel arch.

Any News from anyone?

Barry Daytona Avant
How do people still get this wrong, its DRC not DSC. Dynamic Ride Control. Its been posted tons and tons of times in just this thread, let alone many others.

DuckWingDuck
June 16th, 2008, 06:16
lol, I think barry meant DRC, he just mistyped it!

Barry
June 16th, 2008, 23:00
How do people still get this wrong, its DRC not DSC. Dynamic Ride Control. Its been posted tons and tons of times in just this thread, let alone many others.

Yes I did get it wrong - have had several BMW's with DSC, so DSC just rolls off the tongue.

Anyway for the Audi, DSC describes it well: Dynamic SH-T Control.

Sorry to use such a word but it is true.

Barry - Daytona Avant