PDA

View Full Version : Drove the new Q7 4.2TDi

Leadfoot
June 30th, 2007, 13:18
Just drove the new Q7 4.2TDi and in a word, amazing. That thing has so much grunt it's unreal to think you are sitting in a two tonne car that is accelerating like a bloody quick hot hatch. I have tested the new Cayenne S and the X3 3.0sd and neither of them portray the same sense of total power that this motor has, again the only word to describe it is amazing. :bow: :burnout:

RS6Driver
June 30th, 2007, 20:45
Yes it is a very nice engine. My father is driving an A8 4.2TDI and it's a rocket! Driving it on the Autobahn is pure joy and far more efficient than my RS6 :)

gjg
July 1st, 2007, 18:25
Leadie, how does it compare with 3.0 you have?

Leadfoot
July 1st, 2007, 20:04
Leadie, how does it compare with 3.0 you have?

gig,

To put it mildly, the f#cking thing flies and the exhaust note is just amazing. The one thing it reminded me the most of was a test drive in the then new Cayenne Turbo, I remember the brother was driving at the time and he was pulling out of a junction when the turbos spooled up and the thing just jumped across the road. This is what the 4.2TDi is like, you put your foot down and it instantly changes down and goes like a rocket.:burnout:

You know my statement at the bottom of every post, 'Currently a Q7 S-line 3.0TDi but not for long. He,He.'

Well the Q7 4.2TDi was included in my list of opinions for when I change. You really need to try it.

P.S.

It's also more economical than the 3.0TDi as well, it's what is known as a win, win situation.:D

gjg
July 3rd, 2007, 07:33
thanks for the info - I'm waiting for test drive. Although the factory is only 10 miles from my dealer in country delivery is always 6-9 months after rest of the world......:doh:

Economical - where? Higher speeds? 3.0 is not exactly eco friendly when you cruise at 200. Will sit there for hours (traffic permitting), but it sucks gas like politician money (well, almost) :jlol:

Leadfoot
July 3rd, 2007, 08:58
gig,

Here's the best way of describing the economy and performance difference between the two. After the test drive I drove my 3.0TDi around the same route to see if the difference was all in my head, I go 1.8mpg less and on the sections of road where I accelerated the 4.2TDi I was 15~20mph slower.

The only thing I couldn't verify was whether it handling was any worst but in these big motors it is going to be a sportscar anyway, so what's the point.

It will be interesting to see what your opinion is when you get a test drive.

RS6Driver
July 3rd, 2007, 11:01
Don't think the 4.2TDI is more economical than the 3.0TDI :) Maybe in the sense that you save time because the 4.2TDI is so much faster :)

For the A8 3.0TDI the consumption is 12.0 / 8.4 / 6.4
For the A8 4.2TDI the consumption is 13.3 / 9.4 / 7.2
(litres per 100km for urban / extraurban / highway)

Difference between Q7 3.0TDI and Q7 4.2TDI should be about the same.

Leadfoot
July 3rd, 2007, 11:20
It may be the way I drive because of the fact I come from a S4 and I'm driving the 3.0TDi harder to try and maintain the speed. I found with the 4.2TDi that you didn't need to use the throttle as much to maintain the speed and that's why I found it easier on fuel.

No doubt on a long run the 3.0TDi will be easier, but on country roads I feel the bigger engined car will be a little easier.

Benman
July 4th, 2007, 01:23
Excellent news Leadie. I know George will be first on the list. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

gjg
July 4th, 2007, 23:09
I agree with Leaddie = coming from s4/s4/rs4/rs6 you will try to maintain certain "level" of driving and 3.0 at that point will have higher consuption that 4.2 because it will have to work much harder ....

And I would not agree with Leaddine that 3.0 will be always better on long trip - depending where, because in some continental countries (not to rub it in) you will have no speed restriction or speeding fines are so cheap you will just haul a$$ (as always, as B-man can confirm). And here the 3.0 is definitely not in "econo" group. For 200km/hr run on bahn it will easily take 20l/100km - you guys can do the math..

Actually at those speeds it is worse than my rs6 when it comes to fuel. Well, considering the cargo capacity, no complaints, but do not talk about economy here ... 4.2 will do better and I have no doubts about that part.

:thumb:

Leadfoot
July 5th, 2007, 00:32
Well now gig, when one talks about long trips I was meaning to stick to a reasonable speed, say 140~150km/h. At this speed I doubt the 4.2TDi will be the more economical but who cares when you will be able to pull away from a Cayenne S up a hill in 4th gear. :bye:

gjg
July 5th, 2007, 20:12
amen ..... :bow: