PDA

View Full Version : BMW 335 beats Z4 M around a track

skratch
June 29th, 2007, 05:10
This car is something else from BMW I tell ya.I don't know what they where thinking giving it so much power and handling over the reg 3 series.This car is no joke guys.I have test drove it twice with almost buying it.

anyway here is the read

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/13173/the-lightning-lap-2007.html

Leadfoot
June 29th, 2007, 05:47
If you have read my opinions you will already know I rate the 335i very highly indeed, in fact I reckon it's a much better overall package to the E46 M3. But if you haven't sampled the diesel version, the 335d you will not know that it is a even better again.

skratch
June 29th, 2007, 05:57
Its crazzy BMW under rated it to not make the E46 look that bad.This car is making like 350 hp and 360 ftlbs stock.

You don't even want to know how much power you can get with just a software flash.

This car is up to 440hp and 500+ ftlbs with just a flash and exh.

Im sure the D version is just as good too

It even beat the Rs4 around that track and it has a open diff one wheel peel lol

Leadfoot
June 29th, 2007, 08:45
Its crazzy BMW under rated it to not make the E46 look that bad.This car is making like 350 hp and 360 ftlbs stock.

You don't even want to know how much power you can get with just a software flash.

This car is up to 440hp and 500+ ftlbs with just a flash and exh.

Im sure the D version is just as good too

It even beat the Rs4 around that track and it has a open diff one wheel peel lol

I don't know about the tuning of them, I doubt it makes that make with just a flash upgrade and exhaust.

335 vs S4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIlNiPsxS70)

Both are tuned and the Audi does make about the figure you are suggesting for the 335i but as you see the Audi walks away with ease.

With regards to track times, yes they hint at the out right potential of a car but as has been discussed on numerous occasions the Audi RS4's true protential is not the track but the way it can maintain this speed on the public roads such is the confidence the driver gains from the grip provided and the balance of the chassis and controls.

The 335i is an amazing car and like I said, better than the M3 but alas it's no RS4 beater and never will be.

Clio16V
June 29th, 2007, 09:48
Nice posts Skratch&Leadfoot!

A friend of mine bought a 335i coupe got it yesterday!

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/5764/img2261eh5.jpg

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/4070/img2242hw0.jpg

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/4470/img2253rn9.jpg

His 335i had no speedlimiter :thumb:
Maybe i will post some movies and pics of his 335i and my M3 e36 3.2

Leadfoot
June 29th, 2007, 10:31
Cliov16,

Nice car, is the paint finish 'Space Grey'. The interior is not to my taste, us family men would call the colour 'stinky nappy brown'.:hihi:

Speedou
June 29th, 2007, 13:52
No way you get 440hp with exhaust and chip. You just need a new turbo. That is a fact. Something like 50-70hp is possible.

My friends 335Ci with Aerokit, BBS RS-GT and Milltek full exhaust. Waiting to get Kelleners software:

http://carfreaks.net/photos/ring07/IMG_0412.jpg.html

Leadfoot
June 29th, 2007, 14:08
So speedou, what do you think the actual output with chip up-grade and exhaust really is?

I reckon the 335i will be putting out something like 385hp possibly close to 400hp, but no more. Either way, that is a hack of a lot for what is a non-M model 3series coupe, respect.:bow:

skratch
June 29th, 2007, 15:10
If you guys don't know the potential don't doubt.

Here is a dyno of a 335 with only an ex and tune with 13 psi.The primary cats are still on and its running 93 oct.

with a turbo back exh and no cats,the car will break 400 whp.

actually there are 2 tuners in the usa now that are around 375whp

AA tuning and vishnu

here are some dynos

this is aa tuning with just a flash and exh
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/JeanSada/335Run15STD.jpg

Here is vinsnu tuning and both are still getting more and more out of this car

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/shivpathak/v2betadynoStg193oct.jpg

and BMW just launched the 135 in the states lol that car is going to kill lots of kids guys.It weighs like 3200 lbs and has the tuning potential of a supra

edit Leady its funny you pick a stage 3 s4 lol I am on my way making my S4 into a stage 3 with ko4 turbos,that stage 3 car is making over 600hp and torque

stage 3 tend to dyno way over 400awhp and crazzy torque also

edit again-the tuners have just started tweaking the vanos control and expect to break 400whp on the stock snails.

Leadfoot
June 29th, 2007, 15:39
edit Leady its funny you pick a stage 3 s4 lol I am on my way making my S4 into a stage 3 with ko4 turbos,that stage 3 car is making over 600hp and torque

stage 3 tend to dyno way over 400awhp and crazzy torque also

So you are basically saying that the 335i is making up to 360~375hp at the rear wheels, if so that is truly amazing. In fact I can't see the logic of paying £17k more for the new M3 unless you are a total show-off and have to have the ultimate BMW regardless of which has the best overall package.

Though this gets back to something that seems to always stick in my mind, why do the US tuners get so much more out of their different tuning stages.

Take the S4, it in Europe would only get out 440hp with a stage 3 but you are saying something close to 600hp. So based on this being Europe I reckon we will only see the tuners giving a 335i with chip + exhaust a hike of only 40+hp and 50~60ft/lbs of torque. As yet I haven't seen any advertise the 335i in magazine to see if I am correct.

But one thing is for sure, it is currently better value than the S5 and that before you factor in the tuning potential.

skratch
June 29th, 2007, 15:48
Leady the S4 in the states when refered as stage 3 means its the max.Basically upgraded turbos,fuel system,full turbo back exh and no cats.

You would have to have a huge M power ego to not buy the 335.The poor car is getting alot of hate from the die hard M fans on the BMW forums.They think just because it dosnt have that badge makes it not a performer.I can see threw the M ego and tell what a perfect ballanced car is.

The car also comes with a awd version lol

skratch
June 29th, 2007, 15:56
clio congrates on your friends ride.Where are you located?

Tell him to check out www.aatuning.com and http://www.vishnutuning.com

the best part is they are tuning with piggy back computers and tricki9ng the stoc ECU to not see a thing.BMW can not detect that the car was modded.

Its way better than tuning the stock ecu with software because BMW can detect that and void your warrenty.

also they have the same products for the 535

Leadfoot
June 29th, 2007, 16:02
Skratch,

I would really seriously consider it if it was to be offered in the UK with X-drive, but alas BMW in their wisdom don't seem to think we over here want awd BMWs apart from the X3 and X5, so I won't be buying one.

But I am glad that BMW have seen the light and started producting turbo-petrol engines again, especially this 6cylinder one because rumour has it that Audi are soon to launch their own version, hopefully with the introduction of the new A4 and it will come with awd and all the other usual Audi features, like quality interior, great exterior design etc.

And then I will be able to have my cake and eat it, so to speak.:D

Speedou
June 29th, 2007, 16:42
So speedou, what do you think the actual output with chip up-grade and exhaust really is?

I reckon the 335i will be putting out something like 385hp possibly close to 400hp, but no more. Either way, that is a hack of a lot for what is a non-M model 3series coupe, respect.:bow:

I'm with you. I think it will be something near 380hp. Kelleners never take the most power, because they want to be sure that car can handle the new power. But they are talking about increasing power something like 50-60hp. So maybe there is change to take some 20-30 (peak power) more. But I still say that with standard turbos the car doesn't make 440hp. Maybe it can break the 400 for a moment. 400Whp...sounds pretty unbelievable to me. It just doesn't make a point. But of course I can be wrong in this.

Anyway, very close match in power to new M3 but even M-sport is always all the way different than a real M.

skratch
June 29th, 2007, 17:01
So the 2 separate cars I showed you are not making the power because kelleners says they can only get 50-60 hp?

remember your tuner is prolly working with the stock ecu.These guys are using piggy backs with far more tunability than the stock system.

our tuners are running 14 psi from 2k-4k rpms and then tapper boost to 12 psi by redline,so they don't blow out the turbos.

you can clearly see how the power falls off as the rpms rise.They are still testing the turbos up top end,They don't want to make this another s4 problem with blowing the turbos.

On the other side the s4 was boosted from 8 psi to 19.The 335 is going from 8 psi to 14 and then down to 12 by redline.

please stop doubting,I can show you at least 15 more dynos of other people's cars that are on the streets here making that power,If not they are making more power because that dyno was done at like 100 d miami muggy weather.

buyalemon
June 29th, 2007, 17:18
I don't know about the tuning of them, I doubt it makes that make with just a flash upgrade and exhaust.

335 vs S4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIlNiPsxS70)

Both are tuned and the Audi does make about the figure you are suggesting for the 335i but as you see the Audi walks away with ease.

With regards to track times, yes they hint at the out right potential of a car but as has been discussed on numerous occasions the Audi RS4's true protential is not the track but the way it can maintain this speed on the public roads such is the confidence the driver gains from the grip provided and the balance of the chassis and controls.

The 335i is an amazing car and like I said, better than the M3 but alas it's no RS4 beater and never will be.

"TOO MUCH WHEELSPIN" :applause: ...how about some X-Drive or whatever they call it :mech:

However ...one of the best engines I've ever driven :thumb:

Leadfoot
June 29th, 2007, 22:12
Skratch,

So you are basically saying that the US tuners are adding an additional ECU on to the standard one to allow it more control over the amount of boost through-out the rev range. Impressive, but what is the price for such a set-up?

Leadfoot
June 29th, 2007, 22:19
"TOO MUCH WHEELSPIN" :applause: ...how about some X-Drive or whatever they call it :mech:

However ...one of the best engines I've ever driven :thumb:

Yeah, I reckon you are right, but on the dry when I tested the car the grip was spot-on and is always the case with BMWs. Admittedly the was no hairpin turns to light up the inside tyres but from the driver's seat everything was very good, the only cause for concern was the total lack of emotion from the interior, functional is all I can say about it. Maybe that the way BMW want it to be, it not detract from the driving but as most of the time is spent cruising I personally like the interior to look something special.

There's some much of the 335 that is right apart from the final few things which ultimately spoil it for me.

skratch
June 30th, 2007, 04:16
Skratch,

So you are basically saying that the US tuners are adding an additional ECU on to the standard one to allow it more control over the amount of boost through-out the rev range. Impressive, but what is the price for such a set-up?

basically its a piggy back computer that sits between the stock ecu.It manipulates the stock singnals and sends them back to the ecu as if nothing has been changed.BMW can not detect the car has been modded once you unplug the system.

Speedou
June 30th, 2007, 11:35
So the 2 separate cars I showed you are not making the power because kelleners says they can only get 50-60 hp?

remember your tuner is prolly working with the stock ecu.These guys are using piggy backs with far more tunability than the stock system.

please stop doubting,I can show you at least 15 more dynos of other people's cars that are on the streets here making that power,If not they are making more power because that dyno was done at like 100 d miami muggy weather.

No I didn't mean that the Kelleners is the law. And yes, they are working with the standard ecu because of warranty. Also believe you in the possibilites with totally new system.

The reason I doubt that is what I now about turbos is more lag with bigger turbos and it just feel weird put so big turbo without need to it. On the other hand BMW has done one of the greatest turbo engine ever. And there is minimal lag. So maybe I'm just old fashioned and totally wrong. That would be a great deal. But I'm still very suspicious with those horsepowers ;)

skratch
June 30th, 2007, 16:13
guys mods are coming out for this car faster than I can type on the board.Riss racing just put out cat less down pipes and picked up huge gains on a stock car.

These with a tune will get the car in the 400whp mark.Now theres not much left from here but 400whp should be real fun.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69719

theres a good read too

The 135I just got launched here.I can't wait for that car.Can you guys emagine how fast that thing will be when modded with its light weight chassis.