PDA

View Full Version : BMW 123d

Leadfoot
June 27th, 2007, 10:38
Hats off to BMW for bringing their amazing twin-turbo diesel technology to the smaller 4cylinder models. This is the first engine to top 200bhp while still posting a CO2 output of below the 140 g level, just amazing.

It will be interesting to see how the other manufacturers react to such an impressive power unit, Audi included.

BMW123d (http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/country/gcf/newsID/2070627.001/bmw/new-2008-bmw-123d-revealed)

Duma
June 27th, 2007, 10:57
something like Golf 5 GT 1,4 biT 170hp,but this is diesel....very interesting

Erik
June 27th, 2007, 10:57
Loads of power when you want and low emissions in the EU emissions cycle.

Ruergard
June 27th, 2007, 11:28
Agree, it's a very good achivement. Nicely done by BMW, hopefully other brands will respond with more engines like thise!

mr
June 27th, 2007, 11:41
wow ... sounds like a WONDERFULL machine.

let's see what VAG is doing to compete with -> the TDIe is no real competition in my eyes.

rgds
mr

Leadfoot
June 27th, 2007, 12:17
Not to sound anti-Audi or pro-BMW for that matter, but after sampling the 335d I reckon BMW are currently leaders in the small~mid size diesel engine technology. It will be interesting to see what the motoring press think of the big Q7 v12TDi when it arrives, will it be all it's cracked up to be.

I think VAG needs to up it's game with regards to diesel technology, they quite possibly make more diesel engines as anyone else so should be the technology leaders as well, especially we all their success in diesel motorsport.

ZeroCool
June 27th, 2007, 13:02
I think AUDI is at the moment too much on "big diesels" ... like the V12 and so on...

They propably should take their know-how and put it into smaller versions...like BMW does...and then i'm sure AUDI will be again the leader in this part...

Thrives
June 27th, 2007, 14:00
Not to sound anti-Audi or pro-BMW for that matter, but after sampling the 335d I reckon BMW are currently leaders in the small~mid size diesel engine technology. It will be interesting to see what the motoring press think of the big Q7 v12TDi when it arrives, will it be all it's cracked up to be.

I think VAG needs to up it's game with regards to diesel technology, they quite possibly make more diesel engines as anyone else so should be the technology leaders as well, especially we all their success in diesel motorsport.

Interesting point Leadfoot ...

Indeed, I would say that after recent facelift of the 5 Series and the engine upgrade BMW is well ahead in the 'engine' discipline in the midsize segment (however, you define this but I define it as A4 and A6 v 3series and 5series) and this I am afraid goes for both diesel and petrol.

Now, with the new engines in the A5 this might change and also remember that Audi just released the 2.8 V6 FSI in the A6, an engine which is getting much praise. But, for example the 523i now has 190bhp against the 2.4's 177 bhp and the 530i now has 272bhp against the 3.2s 255 bhp (265 in the A5). I guess there is still a price premium to pay for the BMW but Audi is definitely more convservative when it comes to engine upgrades and facelifts.

Especially, as you say, I think this is case in terms of Diesel where Audi is well behind on all fronts, from 2.0 TDI over the 2.7 TDI to the 3.0 TDI. Of course, it would be easy to boost these engines for more power and this is also currently the game of choice for Audi with both the 2.0 and 3.0. However, on the diesel front Audi is well behind in all aspects from the A3 up to the A6 ... only of course with the monster V8s in the A8 is Audi competitive I think, if we are only talking engine wise.

quattro Gmbh
June 27th, 2007, 14:04
Audi has already developed its 2.0 TDI 204 hp engine. Series production has not started yet.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2070419.005/country/gcf/audi-cross-coupe-quattro-concept-revealed

quattro Gmbh
June 27th, 2007, 14:09
Not to sound anti-Audi or pro-BMW for that matter, but after sampling the 335d I reckon BMW are currently leaders in the small~mid size diesel engine technology.

3.35d is not better than the 3.0tdi in a5 series except the additional turbo, in my opinion.

Leadfoot
June 27th, 2007, 14:23
I can't speak for the A5 3.0TDi, only the Q7 3.0TDi which I currently drive. Hopefully I will get to drive the A5 soon, but to tell you the truth, I was totally bolwn away by the 335d, in fact I would pick it over the 335i any day. If this new smaller one is anything like it's big brother will then BMW are really on to something with this twin-turbo technology.

Ruergard
June 27th, 2007, 15:48
Audi has already developed its 2.0 TDI 204 hp engine. Series production has not started yet.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2070419.005/country/gcf/audi-cross-coupe-quattro-concept-revealed

I wan't that engine now!! Why havn't they started the production of that one yet? :(

Toto89
June 27th, 2007, 16:24

I started to think nobody remembers the Cross Coupé which had this great engine. So BMW's 200hp 4 cylinder Diesel could be only the second.;)
Answering to other posts says Audi /or VAG/ engines has a gap to BMW: Audi is owned by an other superior company and doesn't have their own decisions in motorizing. I 've read an article about chip tuning a few days ago, and there wrote that it is not the engineers but the marketing managers who say how much power the car will have. It's even worse in the case of Audi, because the VW marketing managers say how much power will the Audis have.(I mean in many cases, like R8 can't beat Gallardo etc..)
For example: have you thought after the Le Mans concept that street version will have 200hp less? And why? Because of the Gallardo, but i can say many other examples with A8/Phaeton and Q7/Cayenne as well.
Summary: If Audi engine don't have the same amount of power that BMW or Mercedes have, it's not obviously Audi's fault.

Leadfoot
June 27th, 2007, 16:47
No one is saying it's Audi's fault for not being first to something or not the most powerful, I was more talking of VAG in general. In everything two is better than one and in the case of this four cylinder engine this is true as well, sure Audi and VW will soon have their own 200hp 2.0 diesel but to achieve this it will have a little bit more lag than one which has a smaller turbo (quicker to spool up) to deal with the lower rev range and a bigger (more power with a higher rev range) for the higher revs.

VAG need to include this technology to stay in touch.

ZeroCool
June 27th, 2007, 17:21
@Toto89...

But now is Martin Winterkorn at the top auf VW ... i think that now some things will be a little bit different then they was the last years (management decisions about the power and so on...)

don't you think so?

if you look at the V10 which is planned for R8 ... the MUST put more power into this car... ;)

Benman
June 28th, 2007, 00:27
200HP and only 140g/km is very impressive...

For the record, this diesel only puts out 50g/km... but it only has 20hp LOL!

www.loremo.com

Ben:addict: