PDA

View Full Version : Tire Sizes & Rubbing Issues

CornersWell
June 26th, 2007, 19:57
All,

Just got my Sportec 20x9's back from refinishing and mounted up Bridgestones in 255/30/20. That was the recommended tire size. However, when I went for my first drive, I wanted to get a sense for how sticky the new sneakers were and leaned the car over on the left side around a nice right-hand sweeper. I got a clearly audible rubbing. I checked the bodywork and the tread pattern on the tires and cannot find any visible signs of rubbing. I haven't gotten the car up on a lift again, yet, which will likely show the obvious problem when I do. However, anyone have this problem previously? Perhaps the inner tirewall on the upright? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

CW

Boosted-Bora
June 27th, 2007, 14:30
hope you get an answer to this question cause i was hoping to go with a 19x10 at all 4 corners but if you are rubbing with 20x9's I may have an issue :doh:

CornersWell
June 27th, 2007, 23:02
Drew,

So far, the most likely answer is that the inner tire is rubbing against the upright (just the protective rubber strip). I guess the only way to be sure is to get the car up on the lift and give it a good inspection. I'll try to do that this weekend. If I can't get it on a lift, maybe I can just jack it up. Easier on the lift.

Anyway, I suppose that with the correct offfsets (and/or spacers), a 19x10 wheel would work. It would certainly protrude out from the bodywork, and I would think that you would have to roll the lip of the front fenders to prevent damaging them. That's just my speculation, though, as the total wheel and tire diameter would depend on the tire size, too.

CW

GoFastKindaGuy
July 2nd, 2007, 20:31
I had that issue with Kinesis 19x9 and Dunlop Sport SP9000 tires. I did not catch the rub until I had a low speed (fortunately) blow out on the left front inside. One could see the upright polished by the tire. I measured, photographed, felt, and rubbed. At rest, with new rubber, there appeared to be at least 0.25 in. clearance. Finally, I had Kinesis cut the inside rim back to make 'em 8.5 wide. No problems since.

Fast scooter
July 3rd, 2007, 02:34
Interested as well in what you find - I'm running a set of BBS RS-GT's in 20 x 9.5 (et 36) all the way around with a 15mm spacer - for an effective ET of 21, and a 275/30/20 Conti 2 ( known for being narrow) So far they clear without any issues but I think I will be going to a 19" in the future to open open more tire options....

I'm debating what tire size and offset to run when I make the switch.

Anyone looking for a perfect set of BBS's and new tires ( I also have an all but new set of 255/30/20 Bridgestone 050's) ??

regards.