PDA

View Full Version : Beyond 635hp?!?

Mjolnir
June 26th, 2007, 03:53
It has been stated by some, that the next RS6 will have 571hp TT V10.
But has anyone read this article from Motor Authority regarding the next R8 engine?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/sedans/new-audi-rs6-to-have-571hp/

The last paragraph is quite interesting and would corroborate with other
rumors that the V10 will be TT and not NA.

"Following the release of the regular sedan and Avant models of the RS6, Audi is
expected to launch a ‘Plus’ version with even more power. Current estimates are
around the 620 to 635hp. Beyond this, the same twin-turbo powerplant will make
its way into a high-performance RS version of the R8 super-sports car." :burnout:

I apologize if this is a repost.

MJ

RXBG
June 26th, 2007, 14:51
if my recent conv with certain people is correct, an angine this powerful is an impossibility in the R8 given lambo and porsche.

Leadfoot
June 26th, 2007, 15:28
I reckoned as much.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98636&postcount=4

But we can live and dream.

Mjolnir
June 26th, 2007, 16:15
if my recent conv with certain people is correct, an angine this powerful is an impossibility in the R8 given lambo and porsche.

I continue to think the same as well, but this rumor throws another small wrench
into the "What will Audi do next?" episode. A little bit of wishful thinking to indulge
in from time to time is okay. :R8kiss:

If it is true that the Gallardo will receive the R8 V8 for a future, more affordable
model, then I believe the next R8 will acquire the current version of the Gallardo
V10 and not a restricted 500 hp variant. 80 additional hp over the V8, in my mind,
will not justify whatever asking price Audi will state. Lamborghini's trump card would
be lighter overall weight.

True, Lamborghini may have made an agreement with Audi, basically "We create
the faster, more track-like sports car, you create the slightly slower, more
luxurious sports car...". But it just drives me nuts that Audi isn't free to create
whatever they want. Especially since they have helped Lamborghini get where
they are today.

Audi spends the money, resources and time to "EARN" the "legit sports car image
and know-how" by winning Le Mans several times (helping Bentley along the
way), winning Speed World Challenge in the U.S. several times, racing in DTM,
and basically making the WRC what it is today, but are forced to sit at the back of
the bus and create cars that are at a level of performance below a company that
hasn't "EARNED" any wins of late.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lamborghini's as well, it's just frustrating seeing a
company being held back when their growth has been on the up-and-up for the
last decade. With Porsche (whom I love as well) in the mix now... well, you know
what I'm thinking...

Sorry for the rant.

MJ

Leadfoot
June 26th, 2007, 17:01
That's not a rant, it's a well thought-out argument of which I agree with. But what Audi are doing may just be the right thing, not pushing in to a price bracket that at present it's image can't sustain. Think about it, Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini have had years working on this image and for years each of them has had times of struggle, it's only in this current financial climate that their supercars are selling at top dollar. If Audi gave the R8 a 580hp engine they would have to price the car at least £110K which though cheap in performance terms would be almost £35K more than their next dearest car, I just doubt it would sell regardless of how good it was. The Audi name wouldn't be strong enough resale wise in this price bracket and no matter how rich you happen to be, it still matters.

Audi are working their way up this ladder and no doubt they will get to this price and performance level, but just not yet. Sad to say.

Benman
June 26th, 2007, 19:04
That's not a rant, it's a well thought-out argument of which I agree with.

Agreed. I mean, it is the motor the concept car carried... here's to hoping. ;)

Ben