PDA

View Full Version : Audis techology, for the rest of VAG

AndyBG
June 19th, 2007, 10:15
Next gen Phaeton , Continental GT and Arnage will all use Audi's Modular Longitudinal Platform (MLP) architecture according to reports from Germany’s Automobilwoche...

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/audi/audi-modular-design-to-spawn-next-gen-vw-phaeton-bentley-continental-gt-and-arnage

Leadfoot
June 19th, 2007, 15:30
I don't see a problem with Bentley getting it but VW, that will only cheapen Audi as a brand in my opinion.

JavierNuvolari
June 19th, 2007, 17:41
Agreed with Leadie, however since the only one getting it is the next gen Phaeton I'm not fully convinced. Then again...why is VW building a next gen Phaeton, from what I've read the previous generation was not what they expected(sales wise)...anyways, I think they should build a A6 BMW 5series alike first don't you think?

rqiu
June 19th, 2007, 17:50
Phaeton has no market. Period. It is stupid to build it again.

GeCcO
June 19th, 2007, 21:51
It's not that certain it won't have a marked in the future. Remember that there has only been one generation. For customers used to Mercedes, BMW and Audi, there will at least be needed around 5 generations for those hardcore luxury guys who stick to the Mercs, BMW's and Audi's to change over to the Phaeton.

Id say we'll give it some time to establish itself in the marked. But, on the other hand, some of those resources could have been used to further develope the A8 and S8 insted. It's not like VAG needs both the Phaeton and the A8.

PeterJohn
June 20th, 2007, 17:15
At one point, the Pheaton sold more units in Germany than the Mercedes S class. The First Audi A8 sold at a loss too. It's a long term strategy.

I'm not sure why people always get their panties in a bunch about platform sharing. It's just the generic bits and pieces that would've been the same if they had developed it seperatly.
Specializing and outsourcing is the bases of the economy. Does Bentley have to develop its own ABS system, b/c Bosch also delivers to Fiat? How high would their R&D budget be, if everything has to be made from scratch to avoid association with the little peoples' cars?!

The Continental GT already uses a Pheaton platform, BTW. Doesn't seem to harm the business.

rqiu
June 20th, 2007, 18:38
I am not talking about platform sharing. I have no problem with that.

Maybe at one point Pheaton was sold more than MB S class, but what about now?

I still think there is not a good business case to build it again.

AndyBG
June 21st, 2007, 11:24
I don't have NO PROBLEM with Phaeton or VW at all...

Current Audi A8 and Bentley Continental are using Phaetons platform.

It was developed for Phaeton.

mr
June 21st, 2007, 14:27
In my opionion, it's nothing else than stupid, to have 2 (if you count flying spur also into same league then 3) very different cars in the absolute same market in othe VAG group well at least in most car groups.
I do think that if they would have invested the developement-, marketing-, ... costs of the phaeton into the A8, then Audi could be market leader in the Mercedes - S - class or BMW 7xx - league.
but I'm not the boss of the VAG - group and well, maybe I just don't get the point about Ferdinand Piechs decission to produce the Phaeton.
Maybe I just can follow such decissions as I'm not playing in that league -> maybe someone here can enlighten me.
At the moment I find the decission of building cars like the Phaeton under the VW - Brand just senseless; at least for building a car for a base price of at least 60.000 EUR under the label of "Volkswagen" which was shaped by cars like the beetle MK1 or the Golf to a brand of cars for everyone.

Well ..just my 2cnt

rgds
mr

MPT
June 21st, 2007, 20:21
In my eyes Pheaton is purely made for branding VW. A brand which get known for making good, luxurious/sporty cars, makes it easier to sell cheaper models. This is a fact.

Another element to why VW would make the Pheaton is because an expencive car is a "play ground" for engineers.

Regarding the sharing of MLP, this is what we are used to. It's very often, that Audi give parts to VW/Seat/Skoda. This is unfortunently not going to change, unless Audi become independent. And until then, this is a HUGE burden for Audi as a brand.

Regards.

Leadfoot
June 21st, 2007, 22:32
In my eyes Pheaton is purely made for branding VW. A brand which get known for making good, luxurious/sporty cars, makes it easier to sell cheaper models. This is a fact.

Another element to why VW would make the Pheaton is because an expencive car is a "play ground" for engineers.

Agree on both part of the above but this is only true if the product succeeds at two things, firstly it has to be a sales success and secondly it has to beat it's competitors, sadly on both counts the Pheaton didn't. Over here in the UK, Pheatons are selling for only 35% after 2yrs which is well below the likes of Mercedes, Audi and BMW and that's if you can find one because of the little numbers that were sold. But though it is a very luxurious car, it's was marketed as the rival of the wrong car, instead of Mercedes they should have pick the Lexus, it's a close rival to this than any of the other and with it I reckon it would have easily won.

The difference between VW and Audi is that Audi has had years to achieve it's goal as a rival to the likes of Mercedes. It can succeed at this level where as VW can't. Just look at the R8, it's basically a down market Lambo but it works and is a roaring success, while the Pheaton is basically a down market Bentley Silver Spur but it didn't sell. People can't accept a VW badge at this price level regardless of how good it is.

The VW brand has had year being marketed as the people's car and they should stick to what they are good at, after all that is why they re-invented the Audi brand to move VW upmarket and compete with Mercedes and BMW.