PDA

View Full Version : Redline Trans Fluid- Meets Audi Spec?

42TT
June 15th, 2007, 13:07
hi

Just wondering if any of these trans fluid by Redline meet the specification for the Audi RS6 transmission.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?categoryID=8

Thanks in advance not sure what i should be looking for

42TT

42TT
June 17th, 2007, 07:03
For those interested I have found that Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF matches and exceeds the specifications for the Esso LT71141.

Here is the comparison

Esso LT71141-------- Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Density kg/L 0.853-------- 0.860
Flashpoint C 215.000------ 236.000 (Exceeds)
Pour Point C -54.000------ -54.000
Viscosity 40C 37.000------- 34.000
Viscosity 100C 7.300-------- 7.600 (Exceeds)
Viscosity Index 168.000------ 199.000 (Exceeds)

I will be doing a full flush of the system using 10L of the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and wil report back on how it goes.

42TT

42TT
June 17th, 2007, 10:01
Please note that I have also found that the Redline D4 fluid is suitable

42TT

hahnmgh63
June 17th, 2007, 15:44
If you compare the Redline Motor oil specs to Mobil 1 you will see that Redline well exceeds Mobil 1 specs by a good margin. The HTHS (Euro High Temp High Shear) rating is well above Mobil 1's. That is why I swapped motor oil to Redline. I would expect Redlines ATF to be better than Mobil 1 also. The only drawback is that Redline costs a little more but when your talking engine or tranny protection for an expensive car, who cares. MGH

42TT
June 17th, 2007, 23:49
MGH - Yes very true. I will be changing to redline engine/trans and diff fluids

42TT

gjg
June 18th, 2007, 11:55
what about the D6 ATF ?

42TT
June 18th, 2007, 12:59
gjg - not sure have read numerous posts of people who have used Redline D4 in their Audi tiptronic's that are spec'd to use the Esso LT71141 fluid and all have commented on faster shifts aswell as better smoother down shifting. One person went as far as to say he noticed more improvement with the D4 fluid that a tip chip but not 100% sure about that.

42TT

gjg
June 18th, 2007, 17:45
I asked the wrong question - should it be D4 or the Synthetic High Temp ATF? Did not read negative comments on D4...

42TT
June 19th, 2007, 02:25
gjg - I emailed Redline also and they stated that the D4 ATF was their equivalent to Esso LT71141. Best thing to do would be to email Redline and ask them as they are very helpful

42TT

CA_A8
June 19th, 2007, 04:16
How does the chemical composition affect the seals, which are mostly some elastomere types? Oil specifications alone wont answer that question.

Said all that, I did used redline D4 in my A8 for over 2 years and 40K miles without any ill effects.

hahnmgh63
June 23rd, 2007, 19:01
I spoke to Redline also recently and they also said that the D4 should be used in our cars and not the D6 or the High temp. They said the D4 exceeds the specs of the original Esso as Redline is a full synthetic and the Esso is only partially synthetic. MGH

s8prtotype
March 21st, 2015, 03:23
I know, you're already wondering why I bumped this specific thread from 07... well that's because it's still useful with the most data...

Well, Cliff Notes from reading this thread...super long read...

http://acurazine.com/forums/performance-parts-modifications-112/racing-atf-764322/

"Redline Racing or Amsoil Super Shift. Both are type F fluids, both will work fine. D4 is good but will not reduce clutch wearas much as the racing fluids will."

A Redline rep is saying you can mix the redline fluids, (Amsoil stays too conservative in this aspect) Well it turns out they came out with the lightweight racing ATF and those guys in that thread are mixing them to a point that torque converter shudder isn't present and to get the lowest level of fluid modifiers preventing the issue/increasing torque holding capability.

Lots of good reviews from big power drag cars on this stuff too if you google it....

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=137&pcid=9

My torque converter was replaced by Audi once already, so i'm wondering if I should do this to help the tranny from here on out... Tranny has zero issues at the moment.

From searching this forum it's looking like BND is doing this type of thing with the fluid he makes by reverse engineering the Audi fluid... So not sure what is easier/better here... mixing up some redline or a full BND flush.

I do know that the fact that the tranny fluid in my car is the same as many underpowered random shitbox cars does not sit well with me haha, I have a feeling it will just get cooked in the RS6 and the car deserves much better.....

Thoughts?

DHall1
March 21st, 2015, 03:30
For those that wish to play on the fence of tc shudder....all the power to ya.

For everyone else there is bnd. Lol

Bnd mixes just fine with oem as you drain and refill

s8prtotype
March 21st, 2015, 03:41
Yea, the more i think about mixing the redlines the more i don't really wanna do it...

However, if you did a full flush.... would it be BND or D4? wonder how the specs are between the 2

RSoverAll
March 21st, 2015, 04:40
I would recommend the BND product. I run engine and trans fluids with OEM filters and have def noticed a significant difference. I have only serviced the trans once so far with just a drain/fill (6.5 qts worth) as well as filter and can tell the trans certainly shifts smoother.

If cost of fluid and availability is of high concern then you may wanna go with the Esso LT71141 equivalent store bought brand fluid, as the BND ATF may require a bit of lead time before ordering and is not the most economical fluid you will find.

I've read the Schaffers brand is also highly regarded by some of the trans pros on here and is pretty easy to find, not sure on cost though.

RSoverAll
March 21st, 2015, 04:43
I am curious to know if anyone has done a full flush on the RS6 trans and if so, how was it performed...

Also I have lab analysis reports of the BND engine and trans fluid- virgin samples only so far if you would like to see.

--- sorry for the thread jack.

DHall1
March 21st, 2015, 05:29
Bingo we have another winner.

I would recommend the BND product. I run engine and trans fluids with OEM filters and have def noticed a significant difference. I have only serviced the trans once so far with just a drain/fill (6.5 qts worth) as well as filter and can tell the trans certainly shifts smoother.

If cost of fluid and availability is of high concern then you may wanna go with the Esso LT71141 equivalent store bought brand fluid, as the BND ATF may require a bit of lead time before ordering and is not the most economical fluid you will find.

I've read the Schaffers brand is also highly regarded by some of the trans pros on here and is pretty easy to find, not sure on cost though.

s8prtotype
March 21st, 2015, 06:23
Didn't say anything about cost :)

Just make the heat go away better :)

Cmnair
March 21st, 2015, 12:11
Going with all BND fluids for my first oil change, tranny flush, differential as well as power steering. This was after extensive conversations with Brian (who was very accommodating :) ) and looking at UOA reports from a couple of folks

lswing
March 21st, 2015, 13:14
Make sure to use OEM filter kit for the trans. Read about trimming the pickup tube about 1/4"-3/8" to reduce the chance of it touching the bottom of the trans pan. Google "site:rs6.com trans filter trim", or something along those lines. I assume you have the crucial instructions and VAGCOM for the trans refill. Document can be found here if needed, http://www.audirssix.com/index.php/extras

Cmnair
March 21st, 2015, 13:37
Thanks....BND is sending me their trans filter kit....you recommend going OEM for trans?

Make sure to use OEM filter kit for the trans. Read about trimming the pickup tube about 1/4"-3/8" to reduce the chance of it touching the bottom of the trans pan. Google "site:rs6.com trans filter trim", or something along those lines. I assume you have the crucial instructions and VAGCOM for the trans refill. Document can be found here if needed, http://www.audirssix.com/index.php/extras

lswing
March 21st, 2015, 13:46
Thanks....BND is sending me their trans filter kit....you recommend going OEM for trans?

I'm assuming they are using an OEM kit, maybe with their own filter? Not sure, never heard of it being used, maybe someone else will chime in. I suppose you can trust BND quality.

Try and add more fluid a week after your refill. In the 6-8 times I've had fluid changed and a new trans filled we've got 1/4 to 3/4 quart more into the system. Seems the more you drain it out or flush the tougher to get back to max fill.

Edit; you basically want the plastic structure and pickup tube to be perfect, along with the seal. I would again assume that BND is not using a cheap aftermarket plastic piece.

Cmnair
March 21st, 2015, 15:51
Yes spoke to Brian....pick up tube etc comes properly trimmed